Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 744 Likes on 369 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by milo bloom

Too much for not enough. Leaving out Solo and Rogue One didn’t make any sense to me.
It's a saga box set. They're not part of the saga.
Old 03-31-22, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I scanned back a few pages and I did ask the question 2 years ago when the set came out and back then it was also a resounding no.

I also passed on this.

I have all the movies including Rogue One and Solo on UHD digital

FOX BD box set The Complete Saga with the 1st 6 movies

The Force Awakens on the 3D SE BD that has the commentary track

The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker on 4K UHD disc

SE OT DVD box set that has Empire of Dreams

3 prequel movies on 2-disc SE DVDs that each have the 2 hour making of docs in each set

3 separate non-SE DVDs from FOX of the OT. But, some say this is not the true original movies.

Rogue One on BD

That's it. I think I'm covered and of course I can watch all this on Disney + I think I'm Star Wars out until I die.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-02-22)
Old 03-31-22, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I only ever bought the individual 4K releases of the Original Trilogy and The Phantom Menace. I’ll get the other two prequels eventually.
Old 03-31-22, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 984 Likes on 693 Posts

I have no interest in ever watching the original trilogy in anything but its original form. Thankfully there are plenty of options out there. The last copy of the trilogy I actually purchased was the Widescreen Special Edition VHS boxset and I don't feel the least bit bad about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
FM (04-05-22), Spiderbite (04-01-22)
Old 03-31-22, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Did they really have THX sound and what kind of TV could support that in the 90's?
THX isn’t a sound format, it’s a QA process. It was supposed to get extra attention during the transfer process. It used to mean something but they started putting it on any old crap.
Right, "THX Mastering" was a big selling point in the Laserdisc era (and somewhat on VHS, though nobody ever expected much from VHS quality so it didn't get used much there). The THX program was supposed to ensure that movies were transferred with optimal video and audio quality. It wasn't a special format, just a seal of approval.

Little did we understand at the time, the video portion of THX mastering inevitably entailed slathering edge enhancement over the picture. Since we were dealing with standard-definition resolution and most people were watching on CRT tube sets of 36" or less, the problems with that weren't as noticeable. Once screens started getting larger with better clarity, the edge halo issue became really distracting.

THX mastering eventually just sort of faded away. I don't think it's completely extinct (a Blu-ray here or there might be credited with it), but it certainly isn't as prevalent or prestigious as during the LD and early DVD days.

Last edited by Josh Z; 03-31-22 at 11:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Josh Z:
Jay G. (04-01-22), John Pannozzi (04-02-22), PhantomStranger (04-04-22)
Old 04-01-22, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I got those from K-Mart but without the fancy box
Yours looks like the P&S version, i.e. not letterboxed widescreen. That was the far more common version.

The blog post has a breakdown of a lot of the VHS sets that were released over the years:
https://thecountofreviews.blogspot.c...-box-sets.html

Also, this breakdown of all the home video releases:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sta...video_releases
Old 04-01-22, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’ve considered tracking down a set of the widescreen VHS trilogy just to have. Maybe one day.
Old 04-01-22, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
It's a saga box set. They're not part of the saga.
I've heard that argument and it doesn't hold water for me. They're about two pretty major stories in the storyline, Han Solo was the pilot that got them to the Death Star and ends up marrying a Skywalker (Organa) and Rogue One is about a major plot point and includes two "Skywalkers", at least in cameos.
If there were a ton of shovelware DTV Star Wars movies from over the years, I could see not including them (like the two Ewok movies, or the Clone Wars movie, or even the Holiday Special), but there's 11 major films, and they did a box with just 9 of them. That's weird to me.

Originally Posted by DJariya
I scanned back a few pages and I did ask the question 2 years ago when the set came out and back then it was also a resounding no.

I also passed on this.
I have all the movies including Rogue One and Solo on UHD digital
FOX BD box set The Complete Saga with the 1st 6 movies
The Force Awakens on the 3D SE BD that has the commentary track
The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker on 4K UHD disc
SE OT DVD box set that has Empire of Dreams
3 prequel movies on 2-disc SE DVDs that each have the 2 hour making of docs in each set
3 separate non-SE DVDs from FOX of the OT. But, some say this is not the true original movies.
Rogue One on BD
That's it. I think I'm covered and of course I can watch all this on Disney + I think I'm Star Wars out until I die.

Yeah, I spent a bunch of time putting together my collection, the box set just wasn't a big enough jump.
I've got the OT box set with the SEs and the non-anamorphic originals, plus a separate copy of Empire of Dreams.
I've got the three prequel 2 disc sets
All of The Clone Wars on DVD (except the last season which hasn't been released)
The 9 disc bluray set of Eps 1-6 and 3 discs of extras
TFA 3D Blu-ray set
Rogue One Target Exclusive Blu-ray
TLJ and TROS on 4k

From what I've read, the OT 4K discs aren't that great, otherwise I'd buy the single versions of the OT and R1 on 4K but what I have will do for now.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’ve considered tracking down a set of the widescreen VHS trilogy just to have. Maybe one day.

I don't see them often, but I do see them in used CD/DVD shops a little more frequently than I used to. I think after people picked up the DVDs with the original versions or just downloaded the fan restorations that are out there, they're more likely to unload their VHS.

Someone upthread posted a link to a page showing the different releases, might want to check to see which version you want: the blue hologram box or the black "Faces" box.
John Pannozzi (04-02-22)
Old 04-01-22, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 744 Likes on 369 Posts

I've heard that argument and it doesn't hold water for me. They're about two pretty major stories in the storyline, Han Solo was the pilot that got them to the Death Star and ends up marrying a Skywalker (Organa) and Rogue One is about a major plot point and includes two "Skywalkers", at least in cameos.
If there were a ton of shovelware DTV Star Wars movies from over the years, I could see not including them (like the two Ewok movies, or the Clone Wars movie, or even the Holiday Special), but there's 11 major films, and they did a box with just 9 of them. That's weird to me.
Is there need to know information in either of them? No, there isn't (Solo especially).

They're side stories, that may enhance the saga to some degree, but aren't part of it.
Old 04-01-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I've heard that argument and it doesn't hold water for me.
They aren't part of the saga because they're not numbered episodes. The saga consists of the three trilogies, nothing more. (Unless Disney starts making more numbered episodes, in which case, I don't know how the saga will be figured.)

Old 04-01-22, 06:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It there’s profit to be made, the House if Mouse will figure out a way to make more.
Old 04-04-22, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I've got more copies of the Original trilogy than I know what to do with. Several copies on VHS, including multiple widescreen copies including the silver Vader set. Plus, a few dvd sets including the Best Buy unaltered tin. I think I may have picked up a copy of the blue ray set at some point in a used disc store, but not sure.
Old 04-06-22, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I have all original Stars Wars all the movies on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K and most of the prequels and the 2010's movies though I never got the prequels on VHS and it would have been pointless to get Attack of the Clones on VHS in 2002 when DVDs were the standard.

I have not seen the original movies in full since 2014.
Old 04-07-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Funny this was brought up as my son and I recently watched my Star Wars and Empire Harmy boots and damn they looked awesome. It really took me back to being a kid and just loving these movies. It's a shame so many people only know the movies from the awful recent CG fests and aren't even able to (easily) see what started the whole franchise and how damn good it was.

There is an extra on my boots (probably lifted from Youtube) that shows the changes to the first three movies side-by-side and goddamn, they are terrible. So much worse when you see it at the same time. My son was quite perplexed when he was seeing the changes and kept asking why, why why? I had no good answer for him.

I have stayed the course and never bought any of the new versions of the OT except when the original versions were included that one time on DVD. Since then, I have held out the hope that one day, the OG trilogy will be released in a quality befitting it. For now, my Blu-ray boots of the Harmy versions will suffice. We are going to watch Jedi soon which he also has never seen. Can't wait to show him the side-by-side differences on that one! He might blow a gasket with the awful stuff added to Jedi.
PhantomStranger (04-07-22)
Old 04-08-22, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I didn't even bother buying the 4K versions and I have decided that if I'm going to be buying the Star Wars films, it will be when Disney finally decides to release the original versions in HD. If that's ever going to happen in my lifetime, no one knows but I'm content with the original version on the DVD and the revised versions on Blu-ray.
Old 04-08-22, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have no interest in the prequels or the new sequels. I bought a pretty cool despecialized blu-ray set a couple years back that I doubt I will ever replace.
Old 04-08-22, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
These are pretty plentiful around here. I think a friend of mine just picked up the set for $1.50.
I have that set as well as the individual original releases. I have that set that came in the tin with the OOT as bonus features and I have the despecialized versions on BD.
Old 12-29-22, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

It finally sold out today, clearanced to $112.99:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wa...?skuId=6393929
Old 12-29-22, 05:43 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Ugh. Couldn’t resist that pricing. The digital codes will probably sell for half this set lol.

Last edited by Gizmo; 12-29-22 at 06:01 PM.