Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Stranger Things. 10-17-17. In a VHS box. (Ultra HD Blu-ray on the way!)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Stranger Things. 10-17-17. In a VHS box. (Ultra HD Blu-ray on the way!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Stranger Things. 10-17-17. In a VHS box. (Ultra HD Blu-ray on the way!)

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think I'll snag a copy of this. My guess is once the initial shipments of the special packaging version sells out that it may be made available later but in standard packaging. The novelty factor of this makes me want it. I still think it would have been cool if there was an actual VHS with something on it but I get that it would be hard as a retail exclusive to do.
It's not hard as Lost did it with Season 5. It would just raise the price significantly.
Old 10-16-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
It's not hard as Lost did it with Season 5. It would just raise the price significantly.
And that was how many years ago?

Is there even another BD version of S1 being released? I guess it's possible that another "standard" release is coming down the line. But since is the time frame that makes the most sense for a wide release of this, then maybe this is it. Or the next one will be DVD only.
Old 10-16-17, 09:44 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
After testing out Netflix's interface on my LG TV, I'd rather watch the rest of Stranger Things on a VHS tape!
I certainly don't want to have to get up, take a disc out of the sleeve, open my Blu-ray player, wait, insert a blu-ray disc, wait for the previews and FBI warnings and sit down just to continue watching a show. Ugh! I'd rather just watch it on streaming

And Netflix is fine on both my LG TVs (2013 and 2016). If the interface is too hard I imagine you still have a flip phone and probably no fancy microwave
Old 10-16-17, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
And that was how many years ago?

Is there even another BD version of S1 being released? I guess it's possible that another "standard" release is coming down the line. But since is the time frame that makes the most sense for a wide release of this, then maybe this is it. Or the next one will be DVD only.
Doesn't matter. My point is it has been done with Blu-ray before but with a significant price increase.

I'm sure they will have a regular version eventually.
Old 10-16-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't matter.
Of course it does. Much has changed over those many years, including far fewer series ever coming out on BD at all.
Old 10-16-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Of course it does. Much has changed over those many years, including far fewer series ever coming out on BD at all.
What does that have to do with a studio putting an order in for a VHS tape? It's a promotional event for S2. That is all this is right now. The only thing that has likely changed in the 10 years is the number of duplicators.
Old 10-16-17, 10:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Well, since this is now confirmed as real...
The guy who posted this on reddit also posted the DPCI number.
So if/when these are entered into stock, they should appear on brickseek here:

http://brickseek.com/target-inventor...ku=058-23-1746

currently, that info is all N/A, but it'll probably get filled in within a few days.
The UPC has been added to this now. 191764203360.
Still not showing any stock in my area. Hopefully that changes tonight.
Old 10-16-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What does that have to do with a studio putting an order in for a VHS tape? It's a promotional event for S2. That is all this is right now. The only thing that has likely changed in the 10 years is the number of duplicators.
Till now it wasn't clear to me you were posting about adding the VHS. Nevermind

But far more recently, wasn't there some very limited quantities of Deadpool put out that VHS? Makes as much sense IMO as wanting new music releases on cassette, but others seem to go for it.
Old 10-16-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

There was a limited SDCC release of Deadpool on VHS. I'm not saying the entire season should have been released or anything but if there had been an actual tape of maybe the first episode or some bonus content it would have been kind of cool in my opinion. Rather than just a Blu-ray release in a VHS box. It would have added more to the novelty factor of this release for me but whatever.
Old 10-16-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, my one and only VHS player died almost a year ago now. Not interested in replacing it as I can get everything I want on something than VHS at this point.
Old 10-16-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

if there had been an actual tape of maybe the first episode or some bonus content it would have been kind of cool in my opinion. Rather than just a Blu-ray release in a VHS box. It would have added more to the novelty factor of this release for me but whatever.
But then it wouldn't fit inside a VHS box along with the discs & would cost a lot more than $25. For something nobody really wants or has the ability to play in the first place.
Old 10-16-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

And Netflix is fine on both my LG TVs (2013 and 2016). If the interface is too hard I imagine you still have a flip phone and probably no fancy microwave
It's completely unacceptable how it breaks into credits and even encourages me to skip over the intro- and the theme music on Stranger Things definitely should not be skipped! (I can chapter-skip themes on discs if I want to, but if I want to just let them play then they do so without telling me to skip them!) I'm watching Netflix on an older Roku with the primitive interface that doesn't do that crap and leeching off my parents' subscription; I would have paid for a 4K subscription if it didn't keep butting into material.
Old 10-16-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
But then it wouldn't fit inside a VHS box along with the discs & would cost a lot more than $25. For something nobody really wants or has the ability to play in the first place.
Yeah, I mentioned in an earlier post how it was probably cost prohibitive. I'm just saying it would have made it cooler in my opinion. Even if it had cost a bit more I'd have probably paid for it. I understand not including one though.
Old 10-16-17, 05:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's completely unacceptable how it breaks into credits and even encourages me to skip over the intro- and the theme music on Stranger Things definitely should not be skipped! (I can chapter-skip themes on discs if I want to, but if I want to just let them play then they do so without telling me to skip them!) I'm watching Netflix on an older Roku with the primitive interface that doesn't do that crap and leeching off my parents' subscription; I would have paid for a 4K subscription if it didn't keep butting into material.
Netflix knows most people skip over the theme and credits...so they implemented it. You are the exception to the rule. I don’t care about the theme or credits when binging a show. I don’t need to see it every 45 minutes and don’t care about cast and crew.

I don’t think it’s fair that I buy a disc and am forced to watch trailers, warnings etc.
Old 10-16-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

There was a limited SDCC release of Deadpool on VHS. I'm not saying the entire season should have been released or anything but if there had been an actual tape of maybe the first episode or some bonus content it would have been kind of cool in my opinion. Rather than just a Blu-ray release in a VHS box. It would have added more to the novelty factor of this release for me but whatever.
A VHS release could have, possibly, been done as some kind of limited edition set, but not as a mass market release. It would probably be cost prohibitive to replicate a bunch of video tapes, ship them, and have them take up shelf space. It's a format that's probably useless to 95% of the consumers out there.

I could see them doing a four-cassette complete season boxed set as a sort of novelty item like a comicon exclusive, but doing any kind of mass market VHS makes about as much sense as a mass market 8-track release of an album.
Old 10-16-17, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We don't know how 'mass market' this release is. Some Targets might have nothing tomorrow. Strange release strategy to supply to one store.
Old 10-16-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Netflix knows most people skip over the theme and credits
So why does a show produced specifically FOR Netflix even HAVE credits if they expect people to skip over them and make it difficult for people who actually do want to see them? I watched the second episode of "Stranger Things" on the older Roku and the 2nd episode ends with "Hazy Shade of Winter", it seems they use different songs over the ending credits which often helps to wrap up an episode. If people have such short attention spans that they can't sit through that then they can go ahead and skip it, but don't ruin it for those who actually want to see everything just as it was made. I loved Netflix when they started out but this has killed all the faith I had in them. When I watch something I get engrossed in it, I don't keep the remote in my hand hoping to fiddle with it any chance I get.

don’t care about cast and crew
You're right, the cast REALLY doesn't matter. Who cares who that veteran actor was who appeared briefly in one episode, we don't need to remember who he was.
Old 10-16-17, 09:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

any extras on this thing? i'm all for the cool packaging, but when it comes to tv series, especially ones i get already through streaming services, i want good extras. only reason i got American Gods (plus, i haven't seen it yet, but really want to). so won't consider without extras which a lot of TV series on blus don't get, unfortunately...
Old 10-16-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good question on extras. I went to Target right before closing and it looks like they cleared room for around 2 dozen of these. I hope I get one tomorrow as someone is picking it up for me!

I noticed a few sellers must have taken crates of these from the store they work at because they have been selling a few dozen on Ebay during the past week.
Old 10-17-17, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I certainly don't want to have to get up, take a disc out of the sleeve, open my Blu-ray player, wait, insert a blu-ray disc, wait for the previews and FBI warnings and sit down just to continue watching a show. Ugh! I'd rather just watch it on streaming

Then, seriously, why are you even here?

Looks like it's available to ship now (around 5 am Central Time). Shows temporarily out of stock but lets you add to cart and select shipping:

Stranger Things Season 1 Collector's Edition: Target Exclusive (Blu-ray + DVD)

Last edited by popegregFKAgoblin23; 10-17-17 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-17-17, 07:19 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
Looks like it's available to ship now (around 5 am Central Time). Shows temporarily out of stock but lets you add to cart and select shipping:

Stranger Things Season 1 Collector's Edition: Target Exclusive (Blu-ray + DVD)
Thanks for the link. I wasn't sure I could make it to a Target today, so this is easier. It says it will deliver on Friday, so that's not too bad.
Old 10-17-17, 08:42 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

anyone get this? any extras listed?
Old 10-17-17, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by goblin23
Then, seriously, why are you even here?
Because I still have a collection of several thousand movies and occasional purchase a title.
Old 10-17-17, 09:00 AM
Suspended

According to others its widely stocked (around 25-30).

Not going to be hard to get.
Old 10-17-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ordered one on the site in case they don't have them at local store. Anybody know where they are putting these so we can go right to them once we get to the store? I assume the usual big cardboard display at the front will be for Spider-Man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.