Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Digital Movie Collection

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars Digital Movie Collection

Old 04-27-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 763 Likes on 621 Posts
Re: Star Wars Digital Movie Collection

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Dude, just download the harmy editions and be done with it. That's what most of the hardcore OOT fans have done at this point.
I'd almost consider doing this if I could get the films on disc. I don't have a Blu-ray burner and wouldn't want to invest in one for just these films though. I really think there's a chance we may one day get the original Original Trilogy officially released. My guess is if it happens though they'll make us shell out for it and make us buy all the films in one set.
Old 04-27-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was wonder that, I admire fan editors who work from big masters, but I suppose that getting it back onto something can watch when it's 50 GB would be harder, I guess that you would either need big Blu-rays and a Blu-ray burner, or you would have to put it onto an external hard drive with a lot of space, one of the two. I live in mortal fear of getting an illegal fan edit in finding someone in a position of legal authority at my door telling me that orange really IS the new black, Plus I might have a she's playing them back, but a number of them are quite intriguing to me… This one is a course at the top of that list, and it looks like it's the best we're ever going to get.
Old 04-27-15, 11:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
I was wonder that, I admire fan editors who work from big masters, but I suppose that getting it back onto something can watch when it's 50 GB would be harder, I guess that you would either need big Blu-rays and a Blu-ray burner, or you would have to put it onto an external hard drive with a lot of space, one of the two.
The 50GB blu's usually cost 2-3 times more than a 25GB disc. You can get a spindle of 25GB discs on sale for under $20, but buying the same with 50GB discs cost $40-50. And then just hope the burn is done correctly the first time. They can become costly mistakes. But just as an FYI, the Harmy version of Episode IV comes in under 25GB, so a single layer blu works just fine.
Old 04-27-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 559 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I'd almost consider doing this if I could get the films on disc. I don't have a Blu-ray burner and wouldn't want to invest in one for just these films though.
Do you have a dvd burner? There are AVCHD versions (burn on a dual layer DVD, but disc is formatted as a BD) out there and the full size ones can be streamed to your BD player or played via usb.

I was wonder that, I admire fan editors who work from big masters, but I suppose that getting it back onto something can watch when it's 50 GB would be harder, I guess that you would either need big Blu-rays and a Blu-ray burner, or you would have to put it onto an external hard drive with a lot of space, one of the two. I live in mortal fear of getting an illegal fan edit in finding someone in a position of legal authority at my door telling me that orange really IS the new black, Plus I might have a she's playing them back, but a number of them are quite intriguing to me… This one is a course at the top of that list, and it looks like it's the best we're ever going to get.
I don't want to tell you that it's not illegal to download these. Even in the most liberal interpretations of the law, it's a gray area at best. If you choose not to download because you're taking a moral stand, then that's commendable. If you're not downloading because you are afraid of the police showing up to your door, then I don't know what to say other than THEY DO NOT CARE. People in the original trilogy community with contacts at Lucasfilm have confirmed that they know about fanedits and such. THEY DO NOT CARE. Let me repeat that one more time. THEY DO NOT CARE. Just watch the damn movies. You'll get it out of your system and you'll be free to move onto whatever else there is to worry about.
Old 04-27-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 540 Likes on 443 Posts

It would be really interesting to hear sales figures. I wonder if it may just be the wrong generation. People like us who consider the original trilogy as mileposts in their lives are more inclined toward collecting and paying for physical media. The digital generation might not have the same attachment to Star Wars if they grew up with the bad films, granted that it's likely they've watched the older ones at some point. Maybe they'd rather watch Transformers.
Old 04-27-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 208 Likes on 159 Posts

I live in mortal fear of getting an illegal fan edit in finding someone in a position of legal authority at my door telling me that orange really IS the new black
Did you see my posting about that guy selling counterfeit DVDs at the freakin' CALIFORNIA STATE FAIR, a public family-oriented event with LOTS of security and police presence, at least three years in a row without getting so much as a slap on the wrist, even when I TRIED to get him busted each time? (I resented that he was making money off his illegal activities and that people were buying his stuff thinking it was legit, not that he was ripping off the poor movie studios.) If he can get away with that, I don't think there's really much concern about what you download in the privacy of your home. I've heard at least one story of someone getting busted for downloading some dumb but popular movie, but that might just have been published to scare everyone.

I've had to order my 50GB Blus; the only ones I've seen in stores are ridiculously expensive and just available in single or 2-packs, but the spindles you can order are a lot more reasonably priced, just a couple bucks per disc. Been meaning to see how much standard-def video I can cram onto one.
Old 04-28-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
The 50GB blu's usually cost 2-3 times more than a 25GB disc. You can get a spindle of 25GB discs on sale for under $20, but buying the same with 50GB discs cost $40-50. And then just hope the burn is done correctly the first time. They can become costly mistakes. But just as an FYI, the Harmy version of Episode IV comes in under 25GB, so a single layer blu works just fine.
If it's as good as they say, then it'd be worth the investment, but I don't have a Blu-ray burner or BD-ROM drive anyway. I'd assume the former will also function as the latter?

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Do you have a DVD burner? There are AVCHD versions (burn on a dual layer DVD, but disc is formatted as a BD) out there and the full size ones can be streamed to your BD player or played via USB.
So how can I put Christopher Frayling audio commentaries on my iPod then ?

I don't want to tell you that it's not illegal to download these. Even in the most liberal interpretations of the law, it's a gray area at best.
Three's all kind of stuff out there on bootleg that I'm curious about, and many a fan edit.

If you choose not to download because you're taking a moral stand, then that's commendable.
Nah, just Catholic guilt .

If you're not downloading because you are afraid of the police showing up to your door, then I don't know what to say other than THEY DO NOT CARE.
Unless of course this was my cellmate :

People in the original trilogy community with contacts at Lucasfilm have confirmed that they know about fanedits and such. THEY DO NOT CARE. Let me repeat that one more time. THEY DO NOT CARE. Just watch the damn movies. You'll get it out of your system and you'll be free to move onto whatever else there is to worry about.
Like poverty, race riots, existential malaise, equal rights, climate change, economics, inequality, aging, lying media, drugs and alcohol, quality of life, that kind of stuff? That sounds less fun.

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
It would be really interesting to hear sales figures. I wonder if it may just be the wrong generation. People like us who consider the original trilogy as mileposts in their lives are more inclined toward collecting and paying for physical media. The digital generation might not have the same attachment to Star Wars if they grew up with the bad films, granted that it's likely they've watched the older ones at some point. Maybe they'd rather watch Transformers.
It was a epochal film for a certain generation (and its residue, such as I, who grew up with it on video), but now I think that the brand name is of more interest for ancillary stuff; kids probably love the cartoons, the toys, etc. Like I say, the audience for the OOT is probably just the interested parties in places like this, and not a large enough collection of people to be of financial interest.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Did you see my posting about that guy selling counterfeit DVDs at the freakin' CALIFORNIA STATE FAIR, a public family-oriented event with LOTS of security and police presence, at least three years in a row without getting so much as a slap on the wrist, even when I TRIED to get him busted each time? (I resented that he was making money off his illegal activities and that people were buying his stuff thinking it was legit, not that he was ripping off the poor movie studios.) If he can get away with that, I don't think there's really much concern about what you download in the privacy of your home. I've heard at least one story of someone getting busted for downloading some dumb but popular movie, but that might just have been published to scare everyone.
No, I didn't. That is a little nuts. But I guess it means that Toho are less incline to care if someone is torrenting an HD Godzilla flick, of if someone has a ROM of 30-year old Nintendo game.

I've had to order my 50GB Blus; the only ones I've seen in stores are ridiculously expensive and just available in single or 2-packs, but the spindles you can order are a lot more reasonably priced, just a couple bucks per disc. Been meaning to see how much standard-def video I can cram onto one.
I'd imagine lots of homebrew kind of stuff is expensive to do. It amazes me that some fan in his basement will take care of a film he loves so much in his basement with disposable income while multibilliondollar studios won't.

While it obviously wouldn't be commercially viable for studios, especially given the current state of the market, I've always wondered about cramming SD content on a BD. I mean, if you have a show which just has SD masters, you could probably release whole seasons on BDs with room to spare, though of course it's not the kind of thing any kind of store would want to sell. It'd certainly save shelf space if you could put all of Boy Meets World or Dark Shadows onto a disc.

Originally Posted by Mazje View Post
I'm not technically literate enough to do this, nor do I have a blu-ray burner if I was. Would love to get my hands on blu-ray copies of these Harmy editions.

In other news, I haven't received a PM from anybody for a while. Maybe I'll get one.
I was thinking something almost identical....
Old 04-28-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done this, so I don't know, but can't you just put the Harmy editions on a flash drive & plug it into bd player?
Old 04-29-15, 08:40 AM

If it's as good as they say, then it'd be worth the investment, but I don't have a Blu-ray burner or BD-ROM drive anyway. I'd assume the former will also function as the latter?
Of course a blu-ray burner can read blu-rays. How could they not? Oh, and they're $50. It's barely an investment.

So how can I put Christopher Frayling audio commentaries on my iPod then ?
See this link.

Originally Posted by hasslein View Post
I haven't done this, so I don't know, but can't you just put the Harmy editions on a flash drive & plug it into bd player?
The short answer is yes. The long answer is that it depends on your model of BD player. Some players demand that usb devices be formatted with the Fat32 file system. Fat32 has a size limit of 4gb. Some players are also limited in the filetypes that can be played. There are ways around all of this stuff, but I've found it's just easier to burn to disc.
Old 05-01-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of course a blu-ray burner can read blu-rays. How could they not? Oh, and they're $50. It's barely an investment.
I figured it would obviously have to be able to . I'll check my local Best Buy. I'll get an external one to attach to my cheap PC now so I can attach it to a computer worth a damn in the future .

That is the most annoying and condescending thing on the Internet, I swear... But I'll have a look.

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that it depends on your model of BD player. Some players demand that usb devices be formatted with the Fat32 file system. Fat32 has a size limit of 4gb. Some players are also limited in the filetypes that can be played. There are ways around all of this stuff, but I've found it's just easier to burn to disc.
While we can use it for this and that, what was the major impetus for having that USB port? My DVR has one too, though it doesn't help me in my quest to get stuff off of it .
Old 05-02-15, 06:25 AM

That is the most annoying and condescending thing on the Internet, I swear... But I'll have a look.
a. It's meant to be the most annoying and condescending thing on the internet.

b. It's exactly the information you're looking for explained with a level of care and detail that can't be replicated by a post on a message board.
Old 05-04-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

a. It's meant to be the most annoying and condescending thing on the internet.
Doesn't make it any less irritating.

b. It's exactly the information you're looking for explained with a level of care and detail that can't be replicated by a post on a message board.
Touche.