Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Digital Movie Collection

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars Digital Movie Collection

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Star Wars Digital Movie Collection

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I've also heard these releases have a few small tweaks here and there (but are still the Special Editions), but I'm not expecting a change THAT big. Yes, it would certainly get Disney in the good graces of the fans, but since A NEW HOPE is still very much 20th Century Fox property when it comes to distribution, that's the one title I didn't expect to see ANY changes with.
It would be a hell of a publicity stunt to push the movies if Han does, indeed, shoot first.

I'm still not buying them, though.
Old 04-09-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I've also heard these releases have a few small tweaks here and there (but are still the Special Editions), but I'm not expecting a change THAT big. Yes, it would certainly get Disney in the good graces of the fans, but since A NEW HOPE is still very much 20th Century Fox property when it comes to distribution, that's the one title I didn't expect to see ANY changes with.
Fox still has distribution, and will always have distribution unless Disney ponies up a mountain of cash to buy it from them, but there's no reason Disney couldn't make edits to the film and hand it to Fox to distribute, the same way that Lucas has been doing all these years. Whatever agreement Fox has with Lucasfilm before is still in place now, it's just that for all intents and purposes, Disney is Lucasfilm now.
Old 04-09-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I bet Luke's lightsaber still goes white/blue/white/green on the Falcoln.
Old 04-09-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And now Slashfilm is reporting that some Australian site has already downloaded the film, and is confirming that no change has been made to the scene.
Old 04-09-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Another release of A New Hope in a new format and I bet Luke's lightsaber is still white/blue/white/green when training in the Falcon.
Originally Posted by stvn1974
I bet Luke's lightsaber still goes white/blue/white/green on the Falcoln.
Do you think Luke's lightsaber will be white/blue/white/green when training on the Falcon?
Old 04-09-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Do you think Luke's lightsaber will be white/blue/white/green when training on the Falcon?
I know it will be since Australians already have them.
Old 04-09-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

There's a rumor circulating that there's yet ANOTHER change for this release of A New Hope...
That's the beauty of it being on streaming- George Lucas, or whoever else he signs the rights off to, can make ANY changes they want at any time and just replace whatever version is currently online! One day Han will shoot first, other days he might decide to have Greedo shoot first again, then maybe other days they'll kiss and make up!
Old 04-09-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

iTunes now has the bundle for $89.99.
Old 04-10-15, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

20th Century Fox logo/fanfare removed on these, with new music (except for ANH). This is likely what we'll be seeing for the new films:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/04/th...ore-the-films/

Last edited by Artman; 04-10-15 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Was wondering about that- they're live on Vudu now, but they DON'T let you check the first 2 minutes for free like the other movies do! Price for the set has gone up 10 bucks also, wondering how many people are really gonna buy this.
Old 04-10-15, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

These are still the same ol' Special Editions we saw on the Blu-rays.

Greedo still shoots first.
Old 04-10-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
20th Century Fox logo/fanfare removed on these, with new music (except for ANH). This is likely what we'll be seeing for the new films:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/04/th...ore-the-films/
I didn't think of that. That's like taking the old Universal logo off the Frankenstein movies. It actually bums me out a bit. I've gotten quite use to that fanfare before the Star Wars music.
Old 04-10-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So did anybody pick these up? Is the horrible Vader "Noooo..." still there in Jedi?
Old 04-10-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
So did anybody pick these up? Is the horrible Vader "Noooo..." still there in Jedi?
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS it is still there.

I didn't buy them because I don't hate myself but it is still there. Just the BD versions.
Old 04-10-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I get that Fox has ANH forever but I thought Disney had to wait until 2020 to remove the logos for the other five movies.
Old 04-10-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess I'm only buying Empire then...when it hits $9.99
Old 04-10-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I get that Fox has ANH forever but I thought Disney had to wait until 2020 to remove the logos for the other five movies.
There's been speculation that Fox's distribution deal on the other 5 doesn't include digital distribution. That's why there are no logos and why they are under the DMA umbrella.
Old 04-10-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the apparently complete list of bonus features, found here:

Spoiler:
STAR WARS EPISODE I: The Phantom Menace
New Bonus Content:

Conversations: Doug Chiang Looks Back (Documentary)- Design Director Doug Chiang provides a look at Star Wars conceptual drawings and models and reveals the lessons learned from George Lucas that helped him create some of cinema’s most lasting and iconic images.

Discoveries From Inside: Models & Miniatures (Documentary)- Steve Gawley and Lorne Peterson discuss how they created miniscule and massive models that became classic pieces of the Star Wars universe, plus, how emerging technology altered the course of the Millennium Falcon and the art of “painting with 3D parts.”

Legacy content includes “The Beginning”; The Podrace: Theatrical Edit;plus eight deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE II: Attack of the Clones
New Bonus Content:

Conversations: Sounds In Space (Documentary)- Legendary sound mixers Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood meet at Skywalker Ranch to discuss how they came to work on the Star Wars films, share the surprising sounds that made the movies roar to life and celebrate the franchise that defined their careers.

Discoveries From Inside: Costumes Revealed (Documentary)-W. Rinzler and Laela French look at some of the most iconic wardrobe pieces in cinema history and share anecdotal fun facts about the costumes of Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Han Solo and other fascinating Star Wars characters.

Legacy content includes “From Puppets To Pixels: Digital Characters In Episode II”; State Of The Art: The Previsualization Of Episode II; and “Films Are Not Released, They Escape”; plus Episode II Visual Effects Breakdown Montage and six deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE III: Revenge of the Sith
New Bonus Content:

Conversations: The Star Wars That Almost Was (Documentary)- Jonathan Rinzler and Pablo Hidalgo, historians and writers for the Star Wars empire, reveal how iconic moments and stories from the Saga almost took very different paths – and discover original ideas behind classic characters and quotes.

Discoveries From Inside: Hologram & Bloopers (Documentary)-W. Rinzler and Monica Chin-Perez enter the Archives to view original work prints for the 35mm hologram of Princess Leia, an early version of the Death Star explosion, a recently discovered blooper reel featuring actors’ flubs and more.

Legacy content includes documentaries “Within A Minute: The Making Of Episode III”; The Journey Part 1; and The Journey Part 2; plus six deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A New Hope (20th Century Fox)
New Bonus Content:

Conversations: Creating A Universe (Documentary)- Longtime collaborators Roger Christian and Joe Johnston meet for the first time to discuss the impact that George Lucas had on their lives and share memories of building the Millennium Falcon and other iconic elements of the Star Wars universe.

Discoveries From Inside: Weapons & The First Lightsaber (Documentary)-W. Rinzler and Roger Christian open up the hallowed Archives at Skywalker Ranch to showcase classic props created for the Star Wars empire, including the most iconic piece of all…the Lightsaber – plus, the Archives’ latest discovery!

Legacy content includes “Anatomy Of A Dewback”; Star Wars Launch Trailer; plus eight deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back
New Bonus Content:

Conversations: The Lost Interviews (Documentary)- Listen to never-before-heard interviews with the cast and crew of Star Wars: A New Hope accompanied by rare, behind-the-scenes footage and pictures. Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford and others reveal the thrills and challenges of their early days on set.

Discoveries From Inside: Matte Paintings Unveiled (Documentary)- Esteemed artist and matte painter Harrison Ellenshaw discusses the nearly lost art of matte painting – an element crucial to the look of Star Wars and so many other classic films – plus, he shares a big find of pint-sized proportions from A New Hope.

Legacy content includes “A Conversation With The Masters” (2010); “Dennis Muren: How Walkers Walk”; “George Lucas On Editing The Empire Strikes Back 1979”; and “George Lucas On The Force: 2010”; plus six deleted scenes.

STAR WARS EPISODE VI: Return of the Jedi
New Bonus Content:

Conversations: The Effects (Documentary)- A team of legendary video effects artists celebrate the technological advances made possible by the Star Wars franchise and share stories, secrets and “happy accidents” from their groundbreaking work on the original films.

Discoveries From Inside: The Sounds Of Ben Burtt (Documentary)- Ben Burtt invites you into his office at Skysound, a laboratory of artifacts used to create the unforgettable SFX of Star Wars. Discover the inspiration for the sounds of C-3PO, R2-D2, the Lightsaber and the ominous breathing of Darth Vader.

Legacy content includes “Classic Creatures: Return Of The Jedi”; “Revenge Of The Jedi Teaser Trailer”; Return Of The Jedi Launch Trailer; “It Began TV Spot”; “Climactic Chapter TV Spot”; plus five deleted scenes.
Old 04-10-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for the record, it was part of the Lucasfilm sale to Disney that George Lucas retains director's control over all the Star Wars movies. In other words, Disney can't make changes to any of the films without George's okay.

This is why the original versions of the first three movies will NEVER happen.

Let's just pray that Disney doesn't tinker with any of their new Star Wars releases.
Old 04-10-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Just for the record, it was part of the Lucasfilm sale to Disney that George Lucas retains director's control over all the Star Wars movies. In other words, Disney can't make changes to any of the films without George's okay.
I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. Do you have a source?
Old 04-10-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It would certainly confirm my long-suspected worst fears .
Old 04-10-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When Lucas does finally die if whoever is in charge of Disney announces the UOT George's force ghost will haunt them into insanity. Lucas' force ghost will look like Hayden Christensen of course.
Old 04-11-15, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I own all six movies on DVD. No way in hell am I plunking down $100 for digital copies.

I would be willing to pay $5 to use vudu's disc to digital and upgrade from SD to HDX, but that doesn't seem to be an option for these movies (yet).
Old 04-11-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. Do you have a source?
I heard this on the Star Wars Underworld podcast. They had a conversation about how we better get used to these movies the way they currently look. They weren't specific about a source, but there were talking as if it were a fact and not conjecture.
Old 04-11-15, 01:51 PM
Banned

This is why the original versions of the first three movies will NEVER happen.

Let's just pray that Disney doesn't tinker with any of their new Star Wars releases.
Technically, releasing the OOT would not be making changes because those movies already exist. Releasing them as is would not be making changes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.