Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Watched Hell to Pay yesterday and agree it's one of the best DC Animated movies, period. Probably does't hurt that they didn't hold back on the violence, and effects of violence in this one. The first DC Animated movie to actually earn it's R rating!

Given that Gaslight was also quite good, I'm really looking forward to the new Superman entry. But having made the mistake with The Dark Knight Returns, I will not be buying each individual entry if they split them into two releases. Figuring it's a given that they will release the combined entry down the like just like they did the TDKR.
Old 04-11-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Watched Hell to Pay yesterday and agree it's one of the best DC Animated movies, period. Probably does't hurt that they didn't hold back on the violence, and effects of violence in this one. The first DC Animated movie to actually earn it's R rating!

Given that Gaslight was also quite good, I'm really looking forward to the new Superman entry. But having made the mistake with The Dark Knight Returns, I will not be buying each individual entry if they split them into two releases. Figuring it's a given that they will release the combined entry down the like just like they did the TDKR.
I'd keep your expectations in check on the upcoming Death of Superman movie. The buzz hasn't been very good.
Old 04-12-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another disappointing 4K review. I'm not sure why they keep putting these out in this condition.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Suicid...195522/#Review
Old 04-13-18, 09:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Hell to Pay is a hella lot of fun. i didn't hate the theatrical, but this is fun, witty and so violent. the carnage is gruesome and i love it. really like this one. probably 2nd after Wonder Woman with these animated features...
Old 04-16-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
anyone know why the SteelBook on Amazon is currently unavailable? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i mean i placed an order prior, but what does this mean?
Batman Ninja (steelbook) is back up for preorder at Amazon ($17.96 at time of this post).
Old 04-17-18, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's up at Walmart for the same price if you are looking for free shipping. I just can't tell which one is the steelbook version.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Batman-Ni...5576#read-more

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Batman-Ni...-ray/662040510
Old 05-08-18, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welp the Batman Ninja steelbook comes out today for those who are interested. I reserved mine at BestBuy. I wasn't going to bother with this one but my alternate BestBuy account (created a while back when I was frustrated at my main account because it wasn't logging in right) received an email for a $10 reward. So I used it with a pickup discount to get the steelbook reserved at my local BestBuy for $9+tax. For a Batman animated (anime) that I was on the fence about, it works for me.
Old 05-08-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Amazon Ninja Steel hasn't shipped yet. I was really hoping to watch it today.
Old 05-08-18, 09:40 AM

got my Steel from BB and it looks nice!
Old 05-08-18, 10:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

My Amazon Ninja Steel hasn't shipped yet. I was really hoping to watch it today.
Are they running short? I just got mine in the mail.
Old 05-08-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Because I don't keep up with these things, I just watched Flashpoint Paradox and Gotham by Gaslight. I really liked the setting and vibe of Gaslight.

Of all the regular DC voices, I find Nathan Fillion the most distracting. I love the guy but associate him too strongly with other characters.
Old 05-08-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

My Batman Ninja steelbook arrived in the mail from Best Buy yesterday also. Looking forward to checking it out when I have time.
Old 05-08-18, 09:38 PM

If anyone sees Nnja, give some thoughts...
Old 05-09-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's crazier than you can imagine. I say that only with positive connotations. I didn't much like the English voice actor for the Joker but everything else mostly works. It's a wild, over-the-top anime with Batman and his entire family time traveling to Feudal Japan.

My review hasn't gone up yet. If you are looking for traditional Batman adventures, this is not the movie for you. I think it's going to be wildly polarizing for hardcore fans. Ninja Scroll fans will enjoy it more than regular Batman fans.
Old 05-09-18, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's crazier than you can imagine. I say that only with positive connotations. I didn't much like the English voice actor for the Joker but everything else mostly works. It's a wild, over-the-top anime with Batman and his entire family time traveling to Feudal Japan.

My review hasn't gone up yet. If you are looking for traditional Batman adventures, this is not the movie for you. I think it's going to be wildly polarizing for hardcore fans. Ninja Scroll fans will enjoy it more than regular Batman fans.
i'm not big on typical animated movies. i like style and different. this looked great from trailer. and no one compares to Hamill. Once you here him a million times in the role, the harder it is to accept anything less...
Old 05-09-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
Are they running short? I just got mine in the mail.
Not running short, just running behind. Got mine today. Thankfully, despite being shipped by itself in much larger bubble envelope (lots of room to bounce around in transit) it seems to have arrived with no dents or floaters. It also seems they sent it using their Prime service, from the local warehouse, because it only tick the one day to get here.
Old 05-10-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not running short, just running behind. Got mine today. Thankfully, despite being shipped by itself in much larger bubble envelope (lots of room to bounce around in transit) it seems to have arrived with no dents or floaters. It also seems they sent it using their Prime service, from the local warehouse, because it only tick the one day to get here.
Yeah, it was one of those white envelopes with prime written all over it. They left it propped on my front door. They should have put a big ass sign on it saying "Steal Me". They could of at least laid it flat on the welcome mat.
Old 05-10-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
Yeah, it was one of those white envelopes with prime written all over it. They left it propped on my front door. They should have put a big ass sign on it saying "Steal Me". They could of at least laid it flat on the welcome mat.
I'm fortunate enough that one of us is home when most packages are delivered. Lots of neighbors have complained about being victims of delivery truck vultures.
Old 05-10-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

My thoughts, given!
Old 05-10-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Had the Steelbook in my hand at Target but put it down. Still haven’t watched Hell to Pay yet.
Old 05-10-18, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
so, it's best to watch with the Japanese audio and subtitles and not the English dialogue?
Old 05-10-18, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

so, it's best to watch with the Japanese audio and subtitles and not the English dialogue?
If I had to choose one, I'd say Japanese, yeah. I'd consider the English version on a second viewing.
Old 05-10-18, 09:20 PM

k. thanks.
Old 05-11-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Nice review. The story was average at best but it still works. It's all eye candy but that isn't a bad thing. My favorite scene was when Red Hood confronts the Joker and Harley. I love the artwork in that scene.
Old 05-11-18, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://doblu.com/2018/05/10/batman-n...lu-ray-review/

I think most native English speakers should watch the English dub for Batman Ninja. It does "fabricate" some dialogue that really isn't there in the Japanese audio, conforming it more for Western audiences.

The provided English translation of the Japanese audio is fairly rudimentary and even lacking in some spots. Anime fans have already provided better English subtitles in underground fan sites.

But the plot is really besides the point. This is an all-out Batman anime constructed around its high-impact visuals. You are either going to love it or hate it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.