Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So did every regular here get a steelbook that wanted one? It appears that way but just wanted to make certain.
Of course the one time we're all proactive is the one time we don't need it.
Old 08-03-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Of course the one time we're all proactive is the one time we don't need it.
Yup.

At least we know that in the future, we can look out for each other. I'm taking my extra copy back to Target tomorrow.

Now if anyone has an extra Steelbook of Throne of Atlantis......
Old 08-03-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yup.

At least we know that in the future, we can look out for each other. I'm taking my extra copy back to Target tomorrow.

Now if anyone has an extra Steelbook of Throne of Atlantis......
Ha, I'm missing that one too, I remember deliberately missing that one on purpose because I was thinking, it's F'ing Aquaman! Now, I wish I hadn't due to the completionist in me.

The one I'm actually frustrated about missing is Justice League - War. It's two fold. 1, I got a hold of a digital code about a week ago and watched it. It's actually quite good, really good actually. 2, I could have bought it when I bought Assault in Arkham...it was right next to it in the case at Movie Exchange, $17. But I was thinking, I don't need it. Seems like nothing money wise in retrospect. *sigh*
Old 08-03-16, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix

The one I'm actually frustrated about missing is Justice League - War. It's two fold. 1, I got a hold of a digital code about a week ago and watched it. It's actually quite good, really good actually. 2, I could have bought it when I bought Assault in Arkham...it was right next to it in the case at Movie Exchange, $17. But I was thinking, I don't need it. Seems like nothing money wise in retrospect. *sigh*
That one is one of the Graphic novel hardbacks with digital copies and digital comic as well. It's a nice set. Get that instead while you still can.

https://www.amazon.com/DCU-Justice-L...ice+league+war
Old 08-03-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^ Yeah, those are pretty cool. If you have a Fry's Electronics near you they are $18. I wanted to get the Dark Knight Returns and Year One but decided against it since I already own various versions of the comics already.
Old 08-03-16, 10:22 PM

Man I need to just stay out of this thread. My regret got the better of me and I went browsing eBay (never a good idea). Found this mint copy of Throne of Atlantis Steelbook for $25 and even though I already have the digital copy, I bought it anyway

Bad News : I clearly have a sickness and I just spent some decent money to buy a Blu Ray I certainly didn't need that will further clutter up my house.

Good News : I'm up to 7/10 now.
Old 08-03-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I would consider trying to get the Steelbooks I'm missing (which I only have four of the ten) but considering that not all the films are available in a Steelbook to begin with I don't really feel like having them all makes for a complete set. So I'll just buy the ones going forward that I can get otherwise I don't care too much. If I could get the Batman ones I don't have (Assault on Arkham, The Dark Knight Returns, Son of Batman) I'd be happy but since I have all of them I'm not going to pay a bunch to get them.
Old 08-10-16, 01:45 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Has this been mentioned already?

Looks like the redid the artwork to match up with Suicide Squad's color scheme. The movie would've been much better if they used this as an outline.

Old 08-10-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Man I need to just stay out of this thread. My regret got the better of me and I went browsing eBay (never a good idea). Found this mint copy of Throne of Atlantis Steelbook for $25 and even though I already have the digital copy, I bought it anyway

Bad News : I clearly have a sickness and I just spent some decent money to buy a Blu Ray I certainly didn't need that will further clutter up my house.

Good News : I'm up to 7/10 now.
If it makes you feel any better, IMO, Throne of Atlantis is one of the better of the animated DC films.

I had to buy my copy off eBay as well. Luckily I was able to find it paired with the JL: War steelbook for a relatively decent price.

Originally Posted by dex14
Has this been mentioned already?

Looks like the redid the artwork to match up with Suicide Squad's color scheme. The movie would've been much better if they used this as an outline.

That's funny. But speaking of some of the better films, I think I liked Assault on Arkham the best of the recent DC films.
Old 08-11-16, 11:43 AM

That above reissue, along with Son of Batman and the separate, kinda-useless Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and Part 2 Blu Rays are currently available at the ever-dwindling Blu Ray section at Costco right now for $7.99 each.
Old 08-11-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Actually in some ways I kind of liked The Dark Knight Returns split in two parts. I haven't seen the version that's edited together but I feel like the two halves work independently fine.
Old 08-11-16, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm gonna start buying the SBs I'm missing. For the other films that came out before the SBs how many have been released with the hardback novels?
Old 08-11-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
People like the DCAU for the most part. It's the live action films that have been catching shit (rightfully so). The thing about the added Barbara/Batgirl stuff is not only did it add length but it added some depth to the character that's not in the graphic novel. If you know little about her before reading the original story she gets shot and violated by The Joker and that's pretty much that. At least here we get some aspects of her character on show and I don't think it's disrespectful to the character. She has sex with Bruce but it's something that she wants its not like he forces himself on her or something.
It was a perfectly legitimate addition to Barbara Gordon's story. Some people just can't handle the sexual politics of female characters.

Barbara wanting Batman on some level has been implicit in the character almost since she was first introduced in the 60s. Even watching the Adam West series it's there on a subliminal level. Dick was always an inferior substitute in Barbara's mind for Bruce, which is why Robin and her have never worked out.

We've already seen most male superheroes fully deconstructed since the audience for them has grown much older. Many of the female superheroes have remained in a protected stasis preventing their deconstruction. Gender politics and the typical audience for superhero entertainment is largely behind the disparity.
Old 08-11-16, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by banthafett
Well I'm gonna start buying the SBs I'm missing. For the other films that came out before the SBs how many have been released with the hardback novels?
There are a total of six of them. They are out of print but most are available if you look. You can buy all six together at Amazon for $135

https://www.amazon.com/DC-Comics-Col.../dp/B013HF7RQY

The World's Greatest Superheroes are here with this slipcase edition of DC Entertainment's Blu-Ray/Graphic Novel combo packs. This new collection features both the Blu-Ray/DVD films JUSTICE LEAGUE WAR, BATMAN: YEAR ONE, SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY, BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHT, WONDER WOMAN: GODS & MORTALS and JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS and the groundbreaking graphic novels that influenced them. These six one-of-a-kind combo packs are packaged together in a exclusive slipcase.

I have all of those hardcovers except Gotham Knight. I LOVE them.
Old 08-11-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple more have come out since then. I may have posted them a few pages back. I know The Dark Knight Returns is one.
Old 08-11-16, 06:51 PM

Sorry, you are right. Three more got released

Old 08-11-16, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I'm afraid to buy any of those because the completist in me would make me buy all of them.
Old 08-12-16, 09:47 AM
Suspended

Thanks for that list also. Thought there were more.

Batman V Superman had one, did any other movies come out this way?
Old 08-12-16, 10:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ I'm afraid to buy any of those because the completist in me would make me buy all of them.
Same here, that's why I only have one so fa.....oh crap.
Old 08-12-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts

I really like the hardback graphic novel/blu-ray combos, but I have managed to show pretty good restraint. I only have two of them:

Wonder Woman: Gods & Mortals (very highly recommended - both movie + comic)
Batman: Year One (already had the graphic novel but not the BD)

I already have the Batman: Black & White comics digitally and the Gotham Knight BD, so I held off on that though I really like the look of the hardback novel.

I already have The Dark Knight Returns on BD and both digital and softcover copies of the novel, so it just doesn't make sense to pull the trigger on that one.

Are any of the other movies from those sets really really good?
Old 08-12-16, 08:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Damn, why is Dark Knight Returns SteelBook fetching such high prices on eBay, new and used?
Old 08-14-16, 07:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Just watching The Killing Joke. It's ok, nothing special. Hamill is magnificent, but why the Batgirl prologue? Was that in the novel? Also, not sure the need for Joker backstory. I probably just don't understand the history to much.
Really a mild R too...
Old 08-15-16, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Joker backstory stuff is in the comic.
Old 08-15-16, 10:50 AM
Suspended

The R rating is total bs on it. I enjoyed it, but no way it deserved an R.

The Dark Knight Returns deserved an R more than TKJ did.
Old 08-15-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
but why the Batgirl prologue? Was that in the novel?
Extended prologue, no. Everything else, yes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.