Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

a job at CompUSA. Sounds horrible.
Old 01-11-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting article that mentions the possibility of a (competing?) 4K digital format (I assume UV).

4K movies are coming to Blu-ray discs and hard drives
Old 01-11-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I'd definitely prefer downloading over streaming. I might even opt for downloading over physical, depending on how prices shake out. There'd almost certainly be a greater variety of 4K films to download than for sale at retail. I just feel like I'd have a much greater selection to choose from that way.
Old 01-11-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'd definitely prefer downloading over streaming. I might even opt for downloading over physical, depending on how prices shake out. There'd almost certainly be a greater variety of 4K films to download than for sale at retail. I just feel like I'd have a much greater selection to choose from that way.
That's the main advantage. With such a small market not many catalog films would be viable for disc distribution. So the selection on digital could be far greater, since distribution (and by extension, viability) is one of the key advantages of digital.

Also another possible advantage would be studio support. They would be more inclined to support a delivery system that is more secure.
Old 01-11-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Interesting article that mentions the possibility of a (competing?) 4K digital format (I assume UV).

I'm hoping 4k HD DVD wins this time.
Old 01-11-15, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames

Supposed to be called RCBD - Really Clear Blu Ray.
Old 01-11-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Supposed to be called RCBD - Really Clear Blu Ray.
It's as if the people who name these new formats are the same idiots who do atrocious BD cover art.
Old 01-11-15, 05:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

It took me a long time to upgrade to DVD from VHS, an even longer time to upgrade to Blu-Ray from DVD. I'm still doing both with no intention of upgrading to anything else. Definitely sick of finally deciding to upgrade to the next new technology only to be told there's yet another new technology out there. Not interested in 4K, DVD and BD are fine with me.

5 years from now I'll be bitching about having just upgraded to 4K only to find out there's brain implants available now.
Old 01-11-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't mind downloading, provided it was like Steam so that you could re-download your movies at any time. I wouldn't want to have to buy all the HDD space to store them, then more if I wanted them backed up.
Old 01-11-15, 07:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'd mind if it was streaming or downloading. Until they come up with a compression that could retain full resolution 4k at a fraction of the space it would take up now. I mean how much space would 1 4k movie take up? I'm guessing quite a bit.
Old 01-11-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Panasonic Exhibits Prototype of World's First Next Generation Blu-ray Disc Player

3. Luminance per square meter (cd/m2) - "Blu-ray," "Blu-ray Disc," and "ULTRA HD BLU-RAY" are trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association.
Ok, well if you guys can do it, I'm going to trademark this:

Bullshit per square foot (bs/ft2)
Old 01-11-15, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Panasonic Exhibits Prototype of World's First Next Generation Blu-ray Disc Player

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Ok, well if you guys can do it, I'm going to trademark this:

Bullshit per square foot (bs/ft2)
What's the ratio of that in Other?
Old 01-11-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

This: ∞
Old 01-12-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I wouldn't mind downloading, provided it was like Steam so that you could re-download your movies at any time. I wouldn't want to have to buy all the HDD space to store them, then more if I wanted them backed up.
Similar sentiments here.

Already I find it annoying to deal with tv show season sets, which freeze, skip, pixelize, die, etc ... during disc playback, such as numerous Universal tv season sets released on double-sided dvd flipper discs around a decade ago. So I ended up watching these tv show season sets from several computer hard drives, in order to avoid these aggravating playback problems.

It's a very annoying time consuming process. I would guess it's even more annoying dealing with 4K digital movie files.

In hindsight, it would have been easier, less aggravating, and less expensive to just watch these same tv shows on various streaming services.
Old 01-12-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I love my disc collection but I'm starting to see the wisdom of my wife's thinking in taking advantage of streaming or using the cloud in order to save space and money. I bought way too many DVDs over the years that ended up being single watches (or worse, zero watches) that I've ended up selling to make space.

I just can't get excited about another disc format. I'll gladly pay a few extra bucks a month for 4K Netflix though.
Old 01-15-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

AV Watch posted some more technical stuff about Ultra HD Blu-ray. There is, as expected, native 24p support along with the previously announced 60p. European markets and the like will have 25p and 50p, but it doesn't sound like this is required in hardware elsewhere.

No 30p or 48p, though.
Old 01-15-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still haven't outlined the copy protection scheme. Probably still trying to hash that out with the studios (and luck they'll need with that, given the BD+ fiasco still fresh in their minds). These are master level quality movies we're talking about, so the studios are going to be very picky about security.
Old 01-15-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

AV Watch posted some more technical stuff about Ultra HD Blu-ray. There is, as expected, native 24p support along with the previously announced 60p.

European markets and the like will have 25p and 50p,.

but it doesn't sound like this is required in hardware elsewhere.

EDIT: The footnote is rather interesting.

Makes it seem like the framerates are available but won't default to 25p or 50p unless a 50 Hz TV is used. That seems perfectly reasonable, as long as it's an option you can toggle (useful for content natively shot at 25p or 50p).

No 30p or 48p, though.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-15-15 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So when do you suppose we'll be getting calibration discs that conform to BT.2020?

Old 01-15-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I love my disc collection but I'm starting to see the wisdom of my wife's thinking in taking advantage of streaming or using the cloud in order to save space and money. I bought way too many DVDs over the years that ended up being single watches (or worse, zero watches) that I've ended up selling to make space.

I just can't get excited about another disc format. I'll gladly pay a few extra bucks a month for 4K Netflix though.
I love my collection too, but I came to the realization a while ago that I just don't have the time I once did to watch movies. Like you, my collection is full of movies I watched once or maybe twice and never thought of revisiting. I don't want to flat-out get rid of them, but at the same time, I really don't have much interest in revisiting them.

I'm fully aware now that I don't have a strong desire to revisit movies, except personal favorites, but I'm wondering if that desire was ever present? Even when I was younger, the only stuff I would revisit was horror/sci-fi and anime, but even then the revisits were few and far between. And, honestly, even stuff I like, I don't feel like revisiting that often.

For years now, when I watch a movie, I never think of buying it. I watch it, give it a rating in my logbook, and move on to the next. Even the few films I see in theaters, I rarely feel like revisiting afterwards.
Old 01-15-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Already I find it annoying to deal with tv show season sets, which freeze, skip, pixelize, die, etc ... during disc playback, such as numerous Universal tv season sets released on double-sided dvd flipper discs around a decade ago.
The recent Criterion Blu-ray bronzing issue (which affected some of my collection) prompted similar thoughts for me. I don't rewatch movies too often, but I liked the idea of having a high quality library in my house. And the selling point of collecting DVDs and Blu Rays (over VHS) was that it was advertised as not degrading over time ... your library would last your lifetime (if properly stored). But now we're seeing it doesn't last a lifetime. I feel like any physical media I own could go at any time. And if that's the case, I don't want to buy physical media anymore.
Old 01-15-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

That's still the exception rather than the rule, as I have tapes and discs that are more than 35 years old that still play. I'm seriously doubting that any "Ultraviolet" movies I have will be accessible that long from now. It'd be nice if CDs and DVDs had a lifetime guarantee since they're never supposed to wear out, if they ever become unplayable due to rot then they get replaced free of charge. I heard Criterion didn't even have the rights to some of those rotted titles anymore so they couldn't print new ones
Old 01-15-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

European markets and the like will have 25p and 50p, but it doesn't sound like this is required in hardware elsewhere.
Old 01-15-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't 25p still not supported for 25 FPS material since Blu can't handle it, making most 25 FPS material encoded at 50i? If the format can support 60p? Why would it not be able to support lower frame rates?
Old 01-15-15, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Ultra HD Blu-Ray does support 25p. No need for any interlacing tricks. In fact, there aren't any interlaced options at all in the docs I've seen. 30p and 48p are the glaring omissions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.