Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Here's a site that keeps track of real vs "fake" (aka upscaled) titles:
http://realorfake4k.com/list/

Ironically, the bulk of "real" 4K titles are streaming TV shows on Netflix and Amazon.

Even with the upscaling, the HDR of the UHD BD should've showed a difference, if your TV supports HDR.
Old 03-21-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
If they are going to take their UHDs from 2k sources, we are not going to see much of an upgrade over a BD. I popped in my 4k copy of Suicide Squad and then the blu ray and they looked identical. I couldn't any discernible differences. It sounds like the same thing is happening on many of the other supposed 4k releases.
I've only tried a few; John Wick, Jack Reacher 2, and Hacksaw Ridge. Doing an A/B comparison there was absolutely a discernable difference. However as I have mentioned in other threads, the BR looked really good up-converted. The colors and detail were definitely superior on the UHD, but if the UHD was a 10, the BR was a solid 9.
Old 03-21-17, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

I finally watched my first 4K disc last night- Deadpool, which I bought on release day just to have a 4K disc in my collection even though I couldn't play it til now. My verdict is that it's a very SLIGHT improvement over Blu-Ray, but not enough to make me go "Wow!" the way I did first seeing an HD-DVD after being used to standard DVD, and certainly not as much wow factor as 3D has, though this movie was not shot or converted in 3D to begin with. True that it's on the "fake" 4K list so it likely isn't as good as the format can do, but given that no 3D titles are posted in 4K either it makes NO sense to me to give up 3D for this minor improvement in resolution. I'm a very picky viewer too, so if *I* don't see enough improvement in this format then the average idiot certainly won't.

I'll still buy all 2D titles on this format when they're available, maybe the next one will wow me a little more. The next one I watch will probably be the extended version of the new Ghostbusters, as that's only on the 4K disc while the 3D is just the theatrical cut. I'll watch the theatrical cut in 3D first, then watch the extended version in 4K and see how that turns out.
Old 03-22-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Here's a site that keeps track of real vs "fake" (aka upscaled) titles:
http://realorfake4k.com/list/

Ironically, the bulk of "real" 4K titles are streaming TV shows on Netflix and Amazon.

Even with the upscaling, the HDR of the UHD BD should've showed a difference, if your TV supports HDR.
Most of the "fake" 4K titles show an appreciable uptick in detail, upscaled or not. And reviews have showed little if any correlation between PQ score vs. 2K or 4K. It's all about the HDR.
Old 03-22-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
If they are going to take their UHDs from 2k sources, we are not going to see much of an upgrade over a BD. I popped in my 4k copy of Suicide Squad and then the blu ray and they looked identical. I couldn't any discernible differences. It sounds like the same thing is happening on many of the other supposed 4k releases.
You need to check more titles from 2K DI's. Most of them do show a difference in spatial detail (although nearly all show extra detail in the highlights and dark areas due to HDR). It helps that it has 3 times the bit rate and a more efficient codec. It goes to show that perhaps we're not actually seeing all of the 2K resolution on Blu-ray like it is assumed.
Old 03-22-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bruceames
You need to check more titles from 2K DI's. Most of them do show a difference in spatial detail (although nearly all show extra detail in the highlights and dark areas due to HDR). It helps that it has 3 times the bit rate and a more efficient codec. It goes to show that perhaps we're not actually seeing all of the 2K resolution on Blu-ray like it is assumed.
A 2K scope title would have to be downscaled slightly to fit in a 1080p frame. The other standard aspect ratios should've have any resolution difference between 2K and 1080p.

The effect of higher bitrates can of course affect image detail (but not resolution), as evidenced by the "Superbit" DVDs back in the day. And HDR may allow for details that would've been "crushed" with a lower color palette/dynamic range.

However, the upconversion from 2K to 4K itself doesn't add any detail, and at best is detail-neutral. In some ways it's a shame that the UHD Blu-ray format essentially requires the film to be in UHD resolution, as films with 2K intermediates may be better served with staying at 1080p, but with all the other enhancements provided by the UHD Blu-ray format.
Old 03-22-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I said, most 2K DIs do show an appreciable uptick in detail (although not necessarily in all scenes). It is pretty much accepted as common knowledge by now. Of course newer owners often have to see for themselves before believing the consensus, because it doesn't make sense to them.
Old 03-22-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bruceames
As I said, most 2K DIs do show an appreciable uptick in detail (although not necessarily in all scenes)....
I'm not saying it's not true, I'm saying it's not due to upconversion, but likely due to the other differences between BD and UHD BD that you mentioned (higher bitrate, more efficient compression, HDR, etc...).

Also, there have always been changes in mastering tech that can cause differences in quality, even when taken from the same source. There are examples of DVD re-releases and even Blu-ray re-releases that have notable improvements over the original release in that format, despite the resolution being the same.

Do you have any examples of screenshots you can link to?
Old 03-22-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Do you have any examples of screenshots you can link to?
Nothing other than cell phone pics pointed at the TV, which are pretty much worthless in comparing detail. Since UHD BD hasn't been cracked yet, it's really not possible to take screenshots (except with the Fury, but that doesn't do HDR).

To get a pretty good idea though I would just read some comparative reviews of some of the titles in question. It would seem the extra detail is coming from a combination of various elements like you say: higher bit rate, better codec, HDR/WCG/10 bit depth.
Old 03-24-17, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just ordered my first UHD title for pickup at Best Buy - That Suicide Squad Steelbook on sale for $15 ($10 after a reward cert) but it looks like I'm going to cancel it after dsa_shea's comments.

I don't have a UHD player yet and my 4K TV is pre HDR. So, I guess I'm still waiting. And I probably will keep waiting until Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm is on board. Saves me some money I guess.
Old 03-24-17, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
So, I guess I'm still waiting. And I probably will keep waiting until Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm is on board.
That's pretty much where I'm at as well. While I won't buy re-releases in 4K, I would spend the extra couple bucks on new releases that include 4K version once those studios are on board. I also think we are going to wait another couple years before getting a 4K TV. We'll probably get an OLED, but I'll wait until they are a little more broken in and a little cheaper.
Old 03-24-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had planned on not buying any Disney movies until they got on board. But since nearly all of their top releases have 3D SKUs I don't mind buying those and getting the 4K later if I'm still interested. Although I do prefer 4K, I still am a fan of 3D and besides I think the studios probably won't be releasing many 3D titles after this year. So I want to get them while they are still available.
Old 03-24-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
Well, I just ordered my first UHD title for pickup at Best Buy - That Suicide Squad Steelbook on sale for $15 ($10 after a reward cert) but it looks like I'm going to cancel it after dsa_shea's comments.

I don't have a UHD player yet and my 4K TV is pre HDR. So, I guess I'm still waiting. And I probably will keep waiting until Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm is on board. Saves me some money I guess.
For 15 bucks it is worth it for the steelbook. I paid like 30 for it for my daughter as a Christmas gift. As far as a great 4k transfer goes, don't hold your breath with this one. I could not see any discernible difference between the two and I do have a set with HDR.
Old 03-25-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty crazy day coming up on Tuesday. Four Harry Potter films, Fantastic Beasts, Planet Earth II... not a bad day for the format at all.
Old 03-25-17, 11:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

My copy of PE Dos will arrive Monday. Looking forward to that. I'll pick up the others when they hit $14.99, or just wait out for the inevitable box set.
Old 03-25-17, 11:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Also, Bill Hunt of Digitalbits confirmed the Potter films have DTS:X while Fantastic Beasts has Atmos. He hasn't gone through Beasts yet, but he says it could have Dolby Vision, which would make it the first UHD with it.
Old 09-15-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UHD Blu-ray disc sales are expected to increase 8-fold this year

UHD Blu-ray disc sales are expected to increase 8-fold this year and Hollywood is expected to release as many new titles in the last 4 months of 2017 as in the first 8, the Blu-ray Disc Association told us when we met them at IFA in Berlin.

Busy 4 months ahead
Despite a decline in total sales of discs, the UHD Blu-ray format is seeing strong uptake. The BDA pointed to a number of factors as to why that is. First of all, UHD TV sales are on the rise, with one third of all households globally expected to have one by the end of 2021. Also, high-speed broadband adoption is lagging in many regions.

UHD Blu-ray disc sales are expected to increase 8-fold over 2016, according to figures shared with FlatpanelsHD by Telly Kim, Executive Director, New Technology Marketing at Warner Bros, and Spokesperson for the BDA. 20 million discs were sold last year.

Also, UHD disc player sales are up 133% so far in 2017, with major brands such as LG, Microsoft, Oppo, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, and Sony onboard. Over 300,000 players were sold in 2016.

The 4 months ahead will be particularly busy. In the first 8 months of 2017, Hollywood has released approximately 150 UHD discs. An additional 150 titles will be released before the end of 2017. There are some major titles in the mix, the BDA teased.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1505110408
Old 09-15-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I had a revelation the other day: I have no idea how the specs for how 4K UltraHD discs are physically made and played differ from regular Blu-ray and DVD.

Is there a good website that summarizes the differences?
Old 09-15-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I had a revelation the other day: I have no idea how the specs for how 4K UltraHD discs are physically made and played differ from regular Blu-ray and DVD.

Is there a good website that summarizes the differences?
UHD Blu-ray is based on the BDXL spec for the higher capacity discs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#BDXL

They can also be pressed onto the same 50GB dual-layer disc that Blu-ray uses, and some early UHD Blu-ray titles were on such discs:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=277330

This Blu-ray white paper has a lot of info on the physical disc formats:
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Do...0817_clean.pdf