Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Actually, people are reporting great results with 4K streaming via Netflix. One of the better looking shows in that format is apparently Blacklist.

But I do agree that you need a TV that's 70" - 80" (or over) to really get the full impact of the resolution upgrade. That and proper seating distance. Most people sit too far from their current HDTV's as it is.
Old 01-06-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
But I do agree that you need a TV that's 70" - 80" (or over) to really get the full impact of the resolution upgrade. That and proper seating distance. Most people sit too far from their current HDTV's as it is.
I sit too close, the irony .

Originally Posted by Coral
On 50-65" TVs, very few people will even notice the difference between 4k and 1080p. It requires a bigger TV. And current BD sales are barely making a dent in the physical media sales, 4k will be a tiny fraction of that.

And the difference in quality from 4K and 1080p will be even less when streaming. Why would I want to waste my precious bandwidth for over-compressed content that will be hard to tell the difference?

Sorry, but 4K is essentially DOA.
This. I'd love to be wrong, but frankly, given how physical media barely sells at all anymore, this is going to be a collector's market at very best.

Speaking of Jackson's experiment with HFR, I wonder how audiences will take to the James Cameron's Avatar sequels in 60fps.
There was a recent article arguing that what HFR excelled at best was FX sequences, since the CG was reminiscent of video games (which have apparently been 60 FPS for years), whereas with actors and sets, not so much. As so much of these will be shot with FX, it might be slightly more effective. Though to be honest, I'm kind of thinking that it'll be a novelty for many audience members and won't catch on. But I'm wrong about everything . Why does my HDTV tell me it's playing my DVds in 60p, BTW? Is it scaling up the 30 fields of pulldown and doubling them to 60?

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Is this a typo? They definitely oughtta include 24fps!

I can't imagine that 24fps wouldn't be part of the standard.
Hopefully it's a given. If BD can do, the next format should certainly be able to.

It'd be a colossal waste of space to repeat frames on-disc to 60fps, and with the videophile audience they'd be targeting, I wouldn't expect frame interpolation to be on by default. (Maybe as an option?)
Default soap opera mode would be the final proof that mankind need to stop being allowed to be the dominant species on the planet .

I wouldn't read too much into the 60fps output in that press release. That might be referring to the maximum progressive frames outputted, in the same way that Blu-ray players can output in different resolutions/frame rates.
Has anything ever been released at 60 FPS? Blu can't handle it, can it? Unless you interlace it? I remember reading that's been a problem with 25 FPS content, and needing to do it as interlaced 50. My technical knowledge is faulty though .

I don't know if 48fps is under consideration, but worst case scenario, they could repeat frames or something to 60fps-ify some 48fps video.
Have any releases ever had repeated frames? It sounds like it'd be weird.

It could still be compelling for things like nature videos, sports, etc.
True, and that's probably where it'll catch on most. At least one hopes .

I'm not crazy about the "Ultra HD Blu-ray" name, which is inevitably going to confuse folks.
4K probably sounds like a candy or something to the layman .

Originally Posted by K&AJones
THIS!!......

I checked out new TV sets and actually came close to getting a Sony 65" 4K model but....you also need a 4K Player, cables that support and if like me running everything thru a AVR...a AVR with 4K pass thru. I ended up getting a Sony Projector instead.

Sure the demos and set looked great but not that great to dish out even more $$$$ for content that I've seen on DVD, then upgraded to Blu-Ray and no-way fork out more to see in 4K.
This is another problem. Once you get new stuff (TV or player) there are all kinds of peripheral things you need to buy (cables and such). The industry would not doubt love this. Consumers, no so much.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The 4K production pipeline is starting to materially impact the quality of Blu-rays for the better. I am starting to see BDs now with almost unimaginable picture quality four years ago. The first season of Black Sails sings on Blu-ray.

Here is a break-down of the new format's advantages:

https://davidsusilouncensored.wordpr...-hdr-rec-2020/
I was attempting in vain to impress upon friends of mine that a BD disc from a 4K master will look better despite the disc having lower resolution because of the higher quality of the master itself. But they are stunners. That said, I've seen 2K masters downscaled to 1080p on BD which look mighty pretty.
Old 01-06-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

I finally saw the newest Hobbit movie in high frame rate- had to laugh at how it looked (mainly like a BBC drama), but that's how it was supposed to look. I missed the first 2 in theaters, and since the Blu-Rays are 24fps I won't watch them. They probably would've looked OK if they had done them in 30, though they'd have to reduce the resolution to 720p for 3D, and 1080i rather than p for 2D due to the format's limitations.
Old 01-07-15, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, people are reporting great results with 4K streaming via Netflix. One of the better looking shows in that format is apparently Blacklist.

The Blacklist and House of Cards look ridiculously good in Netflix 4K streaming.

I picked up a 60" Samsung 8550 last year and I love it. I see the difference between 1080p and and 1080p upconverted to 4K. The upconversion on the set is really, really good. (I generally sit 4-5 feet from the screen).

Sports looks amazing too.

Even though the price of my set has dropped $800 since I purchased, I have no regrets.

I welcome 4K Blu-Ray and really hope that 4K 3D also happens!!!
Old 01-07-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

I am definitely in for 4K since I have a 118" screen in my basement. But to be honest, projectors are going to have to hit less than $3000 before I start getting serious about buying one.

I haven't looked in a while. What are decent 4K projectors going for nowadays?
Old 01-07-15, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

The 4K projector that Sony trotted out at CES earlier this week (the VPL-VW350ES) is $9,999, touted as the least expensive true 4K projector on the market.
Old 01-07-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yep they still have a while to drop in price, I'm on my second projector in 7 years, upgraded because I wanted 1080p and 3D and it was $600. Once 4K hits < $1k I'll upgrade again.

Also, 4K is quite noticeable on 55" TVs. IMHO at least.
Old 01-07-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Speaking of Jackson's experiment with HFR, I wonder how audiences will take to the James Cameron's Avatar sequels in 60fps.
James Cameron has backed off his plans to shoot the Avatar sequels at 60 fps. He's now planning to do 48 fps like The Hobbit.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/27/a...hoot-at-48fps/
Old 01-07-15, 03:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

^ Good. I always thought 60fps was an odd choice, since it wouldn't translate well when "downconverting" to 24fps for most standard projectors.
Old 01-07-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
James Cameron has backed off his plans to shoot the Avatar sequels at 60 fps. He's now planning to do 48 fps like The Hobbit.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/27/a...hoot-at-48fps/
Too bad. I recall he originally wanted to do 48 fps until Jackson beat him to the punch. I liked the notion that he was going to up the ante all the way to 60 fps.
Old 01-07-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

How long until I can buy 4K discs in the $7.88 bin at Wal-Mart? Or is it going to be streaming only?
Old 01-07-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
How long until I can buy 4K discs in the $7.88 bin at Wal-Mart? Or is it going to be streaming only?
There's already streaming 4K. The Panasonic player is for physical 4K media. I'm assuming they'll use BDXL discs/drives for this new format.
Old 01-08-15, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Until the major networks and cable TV stations go 4K, I have no interest in shelling out for a 4k TV, and - by association - no interest in getting a 4k Blu-ray player. And I've definitely been an early adopter over the years - HD DVD on Day One, PS3 (which was one of the best early Blu-ray players) on Day One. The big difference here is that by the time HD DVD and Blu-ray streeted, HDTV was very much a reality already (plenty of stations offering it...and even if your cable company didn't, you could get the networks in HD via an over-the-air antenna).
To that I would add that the ISPs' bandwidth caps would have to be dramatically increased or eliminated, or (and I hope this isn't the answer) streaming services would be exempt from counting against the caps. I am not going to blow through my current limit of 250GB each month streaming 4K.

This article sums up my concerns: http://gizmodo.com/you-can-burn-thro...-in-1524579598
Old 01-08-15, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the biggest problem I have with 4K, most film and television productions are still mastered in 2K regardless of how they're shot (16mm, 35mm, or digital). There are films shot using 4K or 5K digital cameras that are still getting mastered in 2K.

Sony and Warner are the only two major studios constantly sending out 4K DCPs to theaters and some of those films are not even natively shot or properly mastered in 4K. I know Fox and Paramount are getting better at sending out 4K DCPs, but a majority of theatrical releases are still presented and being mastered in 2K.

4K sounds great on paper, the problem is there's next-to-no content available. Distributors and studios are not going to start cleaning up a majority of their library or acquisitions and begin to master them in 4K. The cost is still too high for little-to-no return on investment. I know Sony has been going through their back catalog and mastering a majority of their library to 4K, but that's probably one of the many reasons why they're bleeding money. The films we see released in 4K in any physical or streaming format will be considered classics by the majority or newer releases, that's it.

I would've loved to see the Avatar sequels in 60fps as rumor was looked 60fps more film like and natural than 48fps, but it's a shame Cameron backed down. After now having watched the entire Hobbit trilogy in HFR 3D and IMAX, I would not be sad if I never saw a HFR 3D release ever again.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't wait for the 4K Blu-ray + Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital HD combo packs.
Old 01-08-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, but you CAN do a 4K scan from a celluloid master. 2K is mostly used presumably because handling that much data is more difficult for a computer and more time-consuming, plus it's all many digital cinemas are equipped for anyway.
Old 01-08-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Wonder if the upcoming Star Wars movies will be done in native 4K (or higher) resolution, and released on 4K bluray.
Old 01-08-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
This is at very, very best a collector's proposition. 4K hasn't even caught on in many cinema or hell, many DIs. You'll at most be seeing The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, etc. Catalog titles will be non-existent apart from very high profile stuff. The physical media market is hanging on by a thread, I can't see this as a financially winning proposition for most studios.
Hence, only current releases (= 95% crap) will ever see the light of day on 4k. The very folks who would likely invest in 4k will be affluent, older people, many of whom have an appreciation of, and desire for, older catalog releases.

The studios will never pay the admittedly very high cost for new 4k transfers of any but the most high-profile catalog releases. So, why invest in 4k? Self-fulfilling prophecy...

So, we've got about three insurmountable problems:

1. Lack of bandwidth / bandwidth caps for acceptable streaming quality in 4k = distribution problems

2. Physical media = dying / dead format already in blu-ray

3. Studio inertia in making new 4k transfers of any but the newest releases either filmed in 4k already or out in theaters in a digital form.

4. Lack of demand due to 1, 2 and 3 above.

No dice for 4k in my future!
Old 01-08-15, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Studio inertia in making new 4k transfers of any but the newest releases either filmed in 4k already or out in theaters in a digital form.!
Many (most?) new theatrical releases aren't mastered at 4K, not even the biggest of the big like The Hobbit flicks. That series in particular is shot at something like 5K, but the effects and final mastering are all at 2K.
Old 01-08-15, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

ULTRA HD Blu-ray (better get used to calling 4K BDs that name) will be for people on the bleeding edge of technology and wealthy enthusiasts. The studios know better this time it won't be a mass-market format. I would not expect penetration beyond the level reached by Laserdiscs. Its retail reach might be even less than Laserdisc had, since the retailing environment is far different from the 90s.

I think less informed consumers will believe they are watching actual 4K content from Netflix, most people are very gullible.
Old 01-08-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I can see UHD Blu-ray working, but only under two conditions.

1) To get studios on board, they will need draconian copy protection, mainly making disc a "digital" purchase, where you need internet authentication for playback. It's like what MS wanted for the Xbox One. The purchase is considered a digital purchase, meaning First Sale protection won't apply. More control for the studios (which is exactly what they want) while having the content on disc will avoid the bandwidth/download problems of traditional digital delivery. I imagine there would be a huge backlash, but human nature being what it is, people will come around.

2) Higher prices. Prices will have be proportional to volume. The lower the volume, the higher the price needs to be to sustain it. If this gets laserdisc levels of adoption, then it will need laserdisc level prices.
Old 01-08-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
ULTRA HD Blu-ray (better get used to calling 4K BDs that name)...
They should have just called it 4K Blu-ray. 4K has the advantage of being shorter, easier to pronounce and being a recognizable name that is associated with 4K TVs. Heck, 4K even rhymes with Blu-ray. Stupid to call it Ultra HD Blu-ray. Way too many syllables.
Old 01-09-15, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Regarding the amount of content likely to be released, I don't really see it as a problem. I'm looking at 4K as a special format reserved for certain titles, not a complete replacement for HD. Of course we all have our own opinions on what is "classic" and what isn't, but I would be okay with only classics getting the 4K treatment. I don't believe it will be like SD vs HD, where once you got used to HD you didn't want to watch SD anymore.
Old 01-09-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
They should have just called it 4K Blu-ray. 4K has the advantage of being shorter, easier to pronounce and being a recognizable name that is associated with 4K TVs. Heck, 4K even rhymes with Blu-ray. Stupid to call it Ultra HD Blu-ray. Way too many syllables.
I think they were afraid of keeping the 4K trademark stick. It's such a generic term they very well may have lost trademark protection once it hit market. That is likely the reason why they went with the less catchy ULTRA HD.
Old 01-09-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

I can see the 4K physical media gaining as much traction in the marketplace as D-VHS did.

People will buy the 4K TVs in droves when the prices begin to match the current HDTV prices but they'll still be running SD and 720p HD content lamenting on how awesome 4K is.
Old 01-11-15, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I can see the 4K physical media gaining as much traction in the marketplace as D-VHS did.

People will buy the 4K TVs in droves when the prices begin to match the current HDTV prices but they'll still be running SD and 720p HD content lamenting on how awesome 4K is.
That takes me back to my days working at CompUSA. So many customers not understanding why their DVD player (hooked up via composite cables) wasn't giving them HD video on their TV when they clearly owned an HDTV. It was borderline impossible to get them to understand they needed an HD source (like a Blu-ray or HD DVD player) connected via component, DVI, or HDMI.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.