Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween: The Complete Collection is coming to blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Halloween: The Complete Collection is coming to blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Halloween: The Complete Collection is coming to blu-ray

One of my friends got a set from TMC today after getting a cancellation notice email like the rest of us....
Old 09-25-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
One of my friends got a set from TMC today after getting a cancellation notice email like the rest of us....
It seems like most people who got cancelation notices didn't have any sign of a UPS delivery via the My Choice feature.

Seems like the overwhelming majority of people simply got true cancelations, a small group of people were charged and had their items shipped and a smaller group of people still had their orders canceled after they'd actually started the fulfillment process.
Old 09-25-14, 03:06 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
It seems like most people who got cancelation notices didn't have any sign of a UPS delivery via the My Choice feature.

Seems like the overwhelming majority of people simply got true cancelations, a small group of people were charged and had their items shipped and a smaller group of people still had their orders canceled after they'd actually started the fulfillment process.

Yup. Did you get yours yet Guru?

Mine has shipped... is in my state and due to be delivered Saturday. The pending charge on my card has now dropped off. So it looks like I got this for free. Will just return the one I got from TCM to Amazon.
Old 09-25-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

My UPS ground order ended up getting delivered by the Postal Service. I'm fairly sure once UPS hands it off to the Postal Service, there is no way to recall an order. That is far beyond the USPS's capabilities.
Old 09-25-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
For some reason, the new documentaries are divided into 2 parts but play as a whole.
Is each part less than half an hour long? If so, they were split up to avoid paying royalties to any of the actors who participate. Anything less than 30 minutes is considered "promotional duties" and part of the original job the actors were already paid for. Longer than that is considered a new motion picture.

I can't recall the disc offhand, but I've seen one documentary that was actually split to a 29-minute segment followed by a separate 3-minute segment that was mostly credits.
Old 09-25-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Is each part less than half an hour long? If so, they were split up to avoid paying royalties to any of the actors who participate. Anything less than 30 minutes is considered "promotional duties" and part of the original job the actors were already paid for. Longer than that is considered a new motion picture.

I can't recall the disc offhand, but I've seen one documentary that was actually split to a 29-minute segment followed by a separate 3-minute segment that was mostly credits.
Yeah they are under 30 minutes each. That's just dumb as hell.
Old 09-25-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My order should come via USPS tomorrow. UPS handed it off to them this morning.

I'm shocked but I have to say that there are comments on the TCM Facebook page that make the Blu-ray.com forum stuff seem rational and civilized.

CONTACT YOUR LOCAL STATE'S ATTORNEY GENERAL!
Old 09-25-14, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My set arrived last night from FYE (when I was able to snag it for $81 earlier in the summer). FYE said it would take 1-3 weeks to arrive, USPS had it at my door within five days.

Just looking at the box itself, this set just screams of a rush job. The need for ten, individual Blu-ray cases is excessive especially when there's a plethora of collections out there that are able to maintain much slimmer profiles for a similar amount of films. If you're going to make the set feel "limited" or "special," use different packaging. I have the Hogwarts Collection of Harry Potter and that set feels and looks way more impressive (especially as it has twice the discs). I would've even taken something slimmer like Warner's five-disc A Nightmare on Elm Street collection.

I also love how Rob Zombie's Halloween disc art is of that of the Australian edition.

I popped in the Producer's Cut disc of Halloween 6 last night before I went to bed just to get a brief grasp for the set. The audio and video quality for that disc is insane, especially as the only way to see this edit of the film was via a VHS bootleg for the past twenty years. I only watched the Danielle Harris interview, but I know I want to sink my teeth into some of the other material created specifically for this set.

I've seen some of the reviews of the set and it's sad the set is a grab bag of quality control. For $81, I can't complain that I got fifteen discs consisting of one great film, one good film, four entertaining films, and four pieces of absolute shit. With the aim of quality control in this set, it should've been cheaper especially as nine of the discs have already been made available.
Old 09-25-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I also love how Rob Zombie's Halloween disc art is of that of the Australian edition.
It's not just the disc art. When I entered it into DVD Profiler, it popped up for the Australian disc ID as well.
Old 09-25-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

I put in my Rob Zombie Halloween disc in and was disappointed that it wasn't dubbed in Australian.
Old 09-25-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shout can give whatever speech they want on the final product, but the fact of the matter is for as much as this box is the audio glitch on H4 needs to be addressed and the Rob Zombie Halloween disc should be replaced with the proper label art. That alone comes off as lazy, and it's disappointing that this isn't the first time they've dropped the ball on a big release.
Old 09-25-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I put in my Rob Zombie Halloween disc in and was disappointed that it wasn't dubbed in Australian.
I would've paid full price for the set if I got to hear Malcolm McDowell & Brad Dourif dubbed over with really thick Aussie accents.
Old 09-25-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Shout can give whatever speech they want on the final product, but the fact of the matter is for as much as this box is the audio glitch on H4 needs to be addressed and the Rob Zombie Halloween disc should be replaced with the proper label art. That alone comes off as lazy, and it's disappointing that this isn't the first time they've dropped the ball on a big release.
The H4 audio issue is Anchor Bay's fault.
Old 09-25-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Shout is distributing a product that was assembled half-assed. They may not be "major issues" -- but the glitch on H4 is still a glitch that doesn't belong there, and the wrong label art is just laziness.

Considering the bulk of these sets were mainly purchased for the Halloween 6 PC, maybe all of this is irrelevant, but considering this is a niche box that caters to fans a little more care could have went in to the final product.

Shout retorted with a comically lame "stringent quality control" response. Stringent doesn't account for these two glaring issues.
Old 09-25-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

This was a joint release, Anchor Bay authored half of the disks including H4, and it was their HD master of the film where the audio sync first originated. When the problem was presented to Shout Factory, they went to AB who told them: 'no replacement program.' SF was not at fault for the issue but they're the ones who had to take all the shit for it.

People are raising hell on the Anchor Bay facebook, and it looks like they are changing their tune:

"Hey guys, we are digging deeper into the audio-sync issue of H4 with Scream Factory. Please stay tuned and we’ll update you with any news as soon as we can…"
Old 09-25-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yeah as far as I'm concerned Scream Factory isn't really at fault for the issue with the audio on Halloween 4 or for that matter Zombie's Halloween having the incorrect disc label. They're getting heat because they licensed the films and released them but the releases weren't actually authored by them. If they knew the issues existed beforehand it would have been nice if they were up front about them but I can't say that I blame them for not spending more to get something right that someone else messed up. After all this is only a limited licensing deal for them to be able to use the films in their set and I'm sure that wasn't cheap. Not that I can't see why fans are upset but I don't think placing the blame on Shout/Scream Factory is entirely fair.
Old 09-25-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Isn't this really an Anchor bay release and Shout is just involved with the extras? The disc art for 2 and 3 was changed to add the Anchor Bay logo so it makes me think that they pressed new discs for 1-8 while using old discs supplied to them from Sony for the Zombie films.
Old 09-25-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean to tell me a company like Shout/Scream Factory doesn't have some form of first article inspection of a release before they give the go on printing thousands of copies with their name on it? At least the disc art issue should have been caught if it's present on every single copy.
Old 09-25-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only films in the set that Shout/Scream Factory released are Halloween II (the original), Halloween III: Season of the Witch, and I believe they were responsible for the Producer's Cut of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. Aside from those this set is comprised of previous Anchor Bay and Sony discs. They may have printed new disc labels but that's not the same as authoring the discs.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-25-14 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Anchor Bay's logo is on H6 as well. The discs aren't the same as H1 has a new audio commentary and a new audio track and H4 dropped an extra.
Old 09-25-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I think Anchor Bay's logo is on H6 as well. The discs aren't the same as H1 has a new audio commentary and a new audio track and H4 dropped an extra.
It seems like the main changes are the addition of some extras (new commentary on Halloween and quite a few new extras on The Curse of Michael Myers and H20) and the dropped feature from The Return of Michael Myers. They might not be the exact same discs but it doesn't seem like they changed much except a couple minor things in the extras department. I guess maybe Scream Factory did handle the releases but it seems like they more or less took what was available previously and either added things or in the case of Halloween 4 dropped a feature. Curiously the Scream Factory and Anchor Bay logos are on all the discs except for the two Zombie films.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-25-14 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So keeping the Divimax H4 DVD is looking pretty good right now.

In-sync audio, writer commentary (not on any blu-ray), and the H4/H5 panel discussion (which was on the previous blu-ray, but really didn't look any better than the DVD).
Old 09-25-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Was there any explanation why the Alan McElroy commentary track was dropped? It was the AB Special Edition DVD and I kept it. It's a good listen by the way. McElroy said he wrote the movie in 11 days because of the looming WGA strike back in 1987.

Also, I did get rid of the previous AB BD's for Parts 4 and 5, but I'm really confused by their logic in this set? They moved several of the extras from those BDs to the bonus disc and made 4 and 5 essentially bare bones with only commentary tracks.
Old 09-25-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, I did get rid of the previous AB BD's for Parts 4 and 5, but I'm really confused by their logic in this set? They moved several of the extras from those BDs to the bonus disc and made 4 and 5 essentially bare bones with only commentary tracks.
I have the Anchor Bay discs still, aside from the missing extra on Halloween 4 the extras are the same. I don't know why they didn't put the new extras for Halloween 4 and Halloween 5 on the existing discs and instead opted to put them on the bonus disc.
Old 09-25-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I have the Anchor Bay discs still, aside from the missing extra on Halloween 4 the extras are the same. I don't know why they didn't put the new extras for Halloween 4 and Halloween 5 on the existing discs and instead opted to put them on the bonus disc.
It seems like a cost saving effort.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.