Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Originally Posted by HellTrack
I thought I saw figures from the show. Huh. Why do you think, aside from Ryan Reynolds, is the reason the movie tanked? For me, anyway, it was the glowing costumes. Sinestro was pretty badass, though.
Green Lantern would have been a fine superhero movie...if it had been released in 1995. The script really felt like a leftover one from that era. The villain was also horrible. You don't start a franchise with a gas cloud made out of bad CGI as the main villain.
Old 02-28-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I thought I saw figures from the show. Huh. Why do you think, aside from Ryan Reynolds, is the reason the movie tanked? For me, anyway, it was the glowing costumes. Sinestro was pretty badass, though.
I don't think Ryan Reynolds was the problem with Green Lantern. He was actually okay and I could see him playing a hero in a better movie (maybe Deadpool eventually in a stand alone film). To me the film was just too damn cartoonish for it's own good. Everything from the costumes to the villains to the ring constructs were just awful looking and the story was a mess. I think Green Lantern is one of the harder villains to adapt properly in live action to be honest just because the ring constructs are hard to pull off without looking somewhat cheesy if you ask me.
Old 02-28-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The movie was also written like a comic in the worst possible way, with tons and and tons and tons and tons of exposition dialogue- "I am the Green Lantern, a space cop. there are space cops for 3,000 sectors. I am secretly afraid and use my sexual dalliances and loutish behavior to mask my fear and insecurity. To overcome fear is what I must do to understand how to use the Power Ring. I was a pilot. I like flying. Parallax is an evil monster made out of fear. I am earth's only hope." It was just dull, a parade of special effects in a movie so underwritten it was impossible to care about anyone.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 03-02-14 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Plus, the guy's given a magic ring with the power to conjure into reality anything at all he can imagine, and he consistently uses it to make stupid, useless shit like a giant Hot Wheels racetrack. What a moron.
Old 03-01-14, 02:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
What killed Green Lantern according to Bruce Timm was: 1. The ratings weren't high enough in the age group Cartoon Network wanted. 2. It was a CGI series and thus was more expensive to make. 3. There was no toy line to support the line and limited merchandising potential(because of unsold movie merchandise).
You'd think Green Lantern would be one of the easiest DC properties to merchandise. Usually for singular superheroes you have to make 1,000 different variations of one character (I remember having an Arctic Batman who was had a white costume but a black cowl and cape and some kind of headgear to insulate him from the cold), but with Green Lantern you could just make one toy from each character in each corps and you'd have all the toys you could possibly need.
Old 03-01-14, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
You'd think Green Lantern would be one of the easiest DC properties to merchandise. Usually for singular superheroes you have to make 1,000 different variations of one character (I remember having an Arctic Batman who was had a white costume but a black cowl and cape and some kind of headgear to insulate him from the cold), but with Green Lantern you could just make one toy from each character in each corps and you'd have all the toys you could possibly need.
Having a broad range of characters like that made into figures works well for the older collectors market but a lot of times toy companies only do the main characters for the kids lines because that's mostly what sells to that demographic.
Old 03-01-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Plus, the guy's given a magic ring with the power to conjure into reality anything at all he can imagine, and he consistently uses it to make stupid, useless shit like a giant Hot Wheels racetrack. What a moron.
Thank you!

This was my argument. So much for having cosmic powers when you're using it to conjure up some stupid shit like that.
Old 03-01-14, 02:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Having a broad range of characters like that made into figures works well for the older collectors market but a lot of times toy companies only do the main characters for the kids lines because that's mostly what sells to that demographic.
Guess times have changed since I was a kid in the '90s and it seemed like every minor character from popular franchises had a toy.
Old 03-01-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Green Lantern should have never been set on Earth. Sure, blow through Hal getting his ring in the first act. The rest of the movie should have taken place in space against Sinestro. Since Hollywood requires a female lead, have Hal romance some alien in the Corps. At the end of the movie when it becomes clear that Hal is the greatest GL of them all, have him go off into space to fight some alien armada.

As the movie closes out, we get a small scene with the Guardians deciding that Earth needs a GL to protect it with Jordan in space and they go with Abin-sur's back-up choice, John Stewart.

No one at Warner Bros cares at all for superheroes, they just know it makes oodles of cash at the box office. If not for Christopher Nolan, they would have a nearly two-decade long streak of terrible superhero movies.
Old 03-01-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

How did this turn into Green Lantern movie talk?
Old 03-01-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guess times have changed since I was a kid in the '90s and it seemed like every minor character from popular franchises had a toy.
I dunno I mean still to an extent there's a lot that get made but it seems like the bulk of figures that get released are repaints of popular characters. Thus why you get dozens of color variations or some type of gimmick feature for characters like Batman, Iron Man, etc. Playmates Toys still releases quite a bit for the Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line but it seems like for the most part most toys aimed at kids give the main heroes and villains and that's about it.
Old 03-05-14, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any hope, for any release on any format, of the 1990s Spiderman cartoon or the Green Lantern animated series? Even if it was just a best of set.
Looks like it's your lucky day. No release date yet but at least we know it's coming. Up for preorder on Amazon for $21

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Gre...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 03-05-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well particularly in the G1 Transformers franchise, Hasbro made damn sure that every single toy had a corresponding character on the show.
Old 03-05-14, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Looks like it's your lucky day. No release date yet but at least we know it's coming. Up for preorder on Amazon for $21

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Gre...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Man, if that's the complete series, I'm all in.
Old 03-05-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't wanna live in a world where it's acceptable to have a guy with a space ring that gives him powers but unacceptable to have him use those powers on goofy and creative things.

SERIOUS BUSINESS ONLY PLZ.
Old 03-06-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I don't wanna live in a world where it's acceptable to have a guy with a space ring that gives him powers but unacceptable to have him use those powers on goofy and creative things.

SERIOUS BUSINESS ONLY PLZ.
It's not just that they were goofy. It's that they were stupid and impractical and useless.
Old 03-06-14, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. His imagination was rather weak minded.
Old 03-06-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

What's cheaper? Doing the same batman figure in different colors with slightly different arms or whatever, or doing unique molds for a dozen different corps members, most of which kids wouldn't want?

BTW, they made a ton of Green Lantern toys around the time of the movie... they had the movie toys, they had a wave or two of the Mattel DC toys, they made some kids-friendly Imaginext stuff (we even got a C'HP!)... all with various waves of aliens, and all of which shelf-warmed except for the main, human characters. Then when the cartoon came out, nothing.

As for the constructs... well, in a practical sense you could use the ring in a straightforward way... if you wanted to shoot something, just shoot a laser from the ring, if you wanted to encase something, just use a bubble, but visually that's not as appealing as creating a makeshift weapon or a giant hand or whatever.
Old 03-16-15, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Given that season two was non-anamorphic, I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that it ever got to BD, apparently sales of the first season were abysmal. I think that a tie in with a big WB movie like MOS was our last chance . BTAS, STAS, TNBA, and BB were all mastered in SD, so there isn't any chance in hell of them coming to BD, JL/U was at least mastered that way. With Netflix taking it down, I don't think there's any way to get JLU in HD now. I guess maybe we could hold out for BD archive releases, but that's a pretty long shot.
Old 03-17-15, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 982 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Given that season two was non-anamorphic, I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that it ever got to BD, apparently sales of the first season were abysmal. I think that a tie in with a big WB movie like MOS was our last chance . BTAS, STAS, TNBA, and BB were all mastered in SD, so there isn't any chance in hell of them coming to BD, JL/U was at least mastered that way. With Netflix taking it down, I don't think there's any way to get JLU in HD now. I guess maybe we could hold out for BD archive releases, but that's a pretty long shot.
And here I thought there was an actual update here. What time warp did you you just come out of?
Old 03-17-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
And here I thought there was an actual update here. What time warp did you you just come out of?
This thread along with "The Whole Bloody Affair" thread seems to always get resurrected and we all click on it thinking there's some update.
Old 03-17-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Is it just me (or my hardware) or are the animated series DVDs terrible in terms of visual quality?
Old 03-17-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Worst bump ever. Well, at least it wasn't after 14 years I suppose.
Old 03-17-15, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
With Netflix taking it down, I don't think there's any way to get JLU in HD now. I guess maybe we could hold out for BD archive releases, but that's a pretty long shot.
I wouldn't say that, considering all of the smaller WB animated shows that have been released through the archive program. They may just be waiting until next year to cross promote with Justice League: The Prequel... I'm sorry, Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

fitprod
Old 03-17-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is it just me (or my hardware) or are the animated series DVDs terrible in terms of visual quality?
Unfortunately that's just the way the series is. It was pretty cheaply animated which Bruce Timm has even acknowledged. Like someone earlier in this thread mentioned too an HD release of the series may just expose more of its problems.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.