Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm not certain if this is even possible or if it's as good as it's going to get for that particular series image-wise (was it animated on film?). But, I'm not certain whether to shell out for the out-of-print box set of Batman TAS, or wait either for some "remastered" re-issue on DVD or even Blu Ray. But, I have to ask if it is even possible.
Old 04-21-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Could Batman TAS Ever Be Released on Blu Ray?

Sure. Why not? All it takes is money and a company that wants to do it.
Old 04-21-13, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Considering catalog TV on Blu-ray is pretty rare...this doesn't have much of a chance.
Old 04-21-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

It would be great and I'd buy it in an instant but I sort of doubt it'll happen. Warner hasn't even given us the complete run of Justice League yet (well at least they haven't given us Justice League Unlimited which is essentially seasons three and four of Justice Leage). I think at most we'll possibly see the movies from Batman: The Animated Series (Mask of thePhantasm and Sub-Zero) eventually since we already got Mystery of the Batwoman in March.
Old 04-21-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Considering catalog TV on Blu-ray is pretty rare...this doesn't have much of a chance.
The first part is definitely true. However, this isn't AfterM*A*S*H. This is the frickin' Batman! If Star Trek: Enterprise is worthy of a BD release...
Old 04-21-13, 01:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PatD
The first part is definitely true. However, this isn't AfterM*A*S*H. This is the frickin' Batman! If Star Trek: Enterprise is worthy of a BD release...
It's a cartoon.
Old 04-21-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

It's a cartoon.
Your point being? Batman is a very popular character and sells a ton of merchandise for Warner. Look at all the animated film titles Batman has out in comparison to other DC characters. Just because it's a cartoon doesn't make it a lesser product. It's more just a matter of if they think that it's worth going back to putting in time and effort to restore the show and re-release it when it's already on DVD and aside from the die hard fans it might not meet their expectations for how well it will sell.
Old 04-21-13, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Sure. Why not? All it takes is money and a company that wants to do it.
This.

We've 2 seasons of the JL cartoon on BD. How long that 2nd one take to get?
Old 04-21-13, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mike86
Your point being? Batman is a very popular character and sells a ton of merchandise for Warner. Look at all the animated film titles Batman has out in comparison to other DC characters. Just because it's a cartoon doesn't make it a lesser product. It's more just a matter of if they think that it's worth going back to putting in time and effort to restore the show and re-release it when it's already on DVD and aside from the die hard fans it might not meet their expectations for how well it will sell.
He was comparing Star Trek to a kids cartoon. They are not the same.

TV on Blu-ray already sells poorly. TV Catalog on Blu-ray is even worse.

I really didn't follow this show, but isn't it Warner? That up's it chances slightly as Warner is one of the few studios that supports catalog on Blu-ray, but still, the chance of this are so damn impossible. The Justice League took years for a second season to get released, and there no plans for the rest.
Old 04-21-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

This would have already seen a Blu-ray release, if it had been made in the digital masters era at Warner Animation (anything after 2001).

It didn't look that great on DVD (the animation quality was pretty cheap and rushed for its era) and would look even worse on Blu-ray. This is a case where improved resolution would simply point out more obvious flaws in the animation. I don't believe Warner will ever release it on Blu-ray.
Old 04-21-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really didn't follow this show
It was fairly popular and still holds up well, unlike a lot of other TV shows and cartoons. Plus it's Batman and plus it WB.

I'm not a comic book nerd and I don't care for the other superhero cartoons but this one was actually good.
Old 04-21-13, 09:40 PM

If WB had available HD masters I would have thought they would have used them for the episodes included as extras on the Gotham Knight and Year One blu-rays.

If they don't have existing HD masters then given the age of the series and the number of episodes I sincerely doubt WB will put in the work to put it on blu-ray. Sorry.
Old 04-21-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

It would probably make more sense to put it on a streaming site. Cheers is one of the biggest catalog shows in the business and is available in HD on Amazon Instant, but realistically it's not coming to BD anytime soon. Hell even Seinfeld is available in HD but that's nowhere to be seen on the home market.
Old 04-21-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If it could be done I would buy it, it is Batman - The Animated Series, this ranks within the couple dozen series I wish to own.
Old 04-22-13, 03:06 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Other than Looney Tunes, I can't think of a non-feature length animated property that could come close in popularity (and willingness of the fanbase to spend too much money) to Star Trek.

Pokemon, maybe?
Old 04-22-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Other than Looney Tunes, I can't think of a non-feature length animated property that could come close in popularity (and willingness of the fanbase to spend too much money) to Star Trek.

Pokemon, maybe?
Likely not much since the Star Trek fan base is rather large.
Old 04-22-13, 08:33 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love for this to come out. I'm afraid to buy the big box set because of all the bootlegs out there.
Old 04-22-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
the animation quality was pretty cheap and rushed for its era
Actually it was praised for it's animation style of light colors on dark paper to give it a noir look. Industry standard was dark colors on white paper.

It won for emmys, so if any cartoon would make it's way to blu-ray, it would have to be this one.
Old 04-22-13, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Actually it was praised for it's animation style of light colors on dark paper to give it a noir look. Industry standard was dark colors on white paper.

It won for emmys, so if any cartoon would make it's way to blu-ray, it would have to be this one.
You're trying to make a case for a title that will never hit Blu-ray.

Films that won many awards are now shuttled off to no-name studios to be limited to 3,000 copies sold at $35 each.

This isn't going to happen. A show that currently airs on TV is far more likely.
Old 04-22-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah. Not even The Sopranos could sell that well. Granted it was when BD wasn't as big, but the show is still a huge draw.
Old 04-22-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're trying to make a case for a title that will never hit Blu-ray.

Films that won many awards are now shuttled off to no-name studios to be limited to 3,000 copies sold at $35 each.

This isn't going to happen. A show that currently airs on TV is far more likely.
You were giving your opinion to a show you knew nothing about. At least I have some knowledge of it.

edit: Not denying you may or may not be correct but at least dig up some info on a show you know nothing about before basing opinions on it. I've just seem you say other things that ended up being completely off-base.
Old 04-22-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Stylish animation for a kids series but very, very cheaply done. Timm has even talked about that in recent years. There are tons of animation errors in it that would need to be digitally corrected today.
Old 04-22-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least it isn't the animation I grew up with, like He-Man and Spider-Man. Constant reuse of animation. Spider-Man was the worst in the end of it's run.
Old 04-22-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Stylish animation for a kids series but very, very cheaply done. Timm has even talked about that in recent years. There are tons of animation errors in it that would need to be digitally corrected today.
If it was in high definition I also wonder about the grain and dust on the animations cells which he talked about. It may be one of those shows that is just going to look a bit older and not as shinny as Justice League and so forth.
Old 04-22-13, 10:03 PM
Suspended

You were giving your opinion to a show you knew nothing about. At least I have some knowledge of it.

edit: Not denying you may or may not be correct but at least dig up some info on a show you know nothing about before basing opinions on it. I've just seem you say other things that ended up being completely off-base.
If it's the cartoon version from the mid 90's, I've seen some of it. It was cheap and poorly done back then and I'm sure it won't hold up today. Warner would be better off releasing more of the Looney Tunes sets (which I don't think even sold that well to begin with), instead of something that a couple thousand (at best) people would buy over a lifetime.

No matter what, it's a cartoon and it's not going to get a Blu-ray release. I don't need to know jack on it to tell you that a 20 year old kids cartoon series isn't going to get a Blu-ray release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.