Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Classic Monster Collection from Universal - 10/2/12

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-24-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No release date or confirmed info on included titles yet, but this was just posted by the editor of Monsters from the Vault on the Monster Kid forum:
I hear this week Universal will finally announce a 9 film BD set of classics for this Halloween. Which titles will also be offered as stand-alone releases is unclear, but I'm sure it will be known this week. And since all the titles mentioned earlier this year (that were getting restorations) are included, I guess there's no problem with Frankenstein. So keep your eyes open for this week's reveal.
Previously, it had been rumored (via the leaked Universal list) that the set would be released on 9/4, and only include Dracula, the Spanish Dracula, Frankenstein, and Bride of Frankenstein, but apparently the set will now include all nine films, with the Spanish Dracula presumably counted as an extra.
Old 06-24-12, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Classic Monster Collection from Universal - 10/2/12

I was hoping they'd do a blu-ray set like the faulty Legacy sets from a few years ago. I'd love to be able to get a copy of Dracula's Daughter and the spanish Dracula that actually works.
Old 06-24-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like definitive BD editions of all of the Universal horror films. Will Dracula's daughter not be included in a set like this?
Old 06-24-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
I was hoping they'd do a blu-ray set like the faulty Legacy sets from a few years ago. I'd love to be able to get a copy of Dracula's Daughter and the spanish Dracula that actually works.

This. Only in my case, it was Son of Dracula and House of Dracula that didn't play. The Legacy Editions would have been a perfect port over to blu ray.
Old 06-24-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Will Dracula's daughter not be included in a set like this?
I'm assuming not, although Dracula's Daughter is my favorite of all the sequels.
Old 06-24-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post

No release date or confirmed info on included titles yet, but this was just posted by the editor of Monsters from the Vault on the Monster Kid forum:

Previously, it had been rumored (via the leaked Universal list) that the set would be released on 9/4, and only include Dracula, the Spanish Dracula, Frankenstein, and Bride of Frankenstein, but apparently the set will now include all nine films, with the Spanish Dracula presumably counted as an extra.
If true, this is more than I was expecting. Excellent news! I'm looking forward to the announcement of what titles will be in the set. Plus, Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstein as a separate release on the same day! That'll be quite the day for us Universal Monsters fans!
Old 06-24-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe the leaked list had 9/4 as the estimate for the Hitchcock set, which we now know is 9/25. I thought it listed 10/23 for the Classic Monster set.
Old 06-24-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quite right, my apologies. I must have Hitchcock on the brain. I'm sure they'll release the Monsters box no later than 10/30 regardless.
Old 06-25-12, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 150 Likes on 91 Posts

I still have a sealed DVD box set that included busts of the monsters, I should check to see if that is worth anything.
Old 06-25-12, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

patiently waiting for an official announcement...
Old 06-25-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best. Birthday. Present. Ever.

SO looking forward to this. Day 1 pre-order
Old 06-25-12, 11:54 AM
Banned

damn. yes, yes...oh Jesus H. Fuck, yes.
Old 06-25-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Wasn't it years ago that DecoKing requested the old Universal monster set on blu ray and someone said they would never do it because there wasn't a demand for it?
Old 06-25-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Hopefully this collected release won't be as "Van Helsing (2004)"-centric as that last one...
Old 06-25-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Wasn't it years ago that DecoKing requested the old Universal monster set on blu ray and someone said they would never do it because there wasn't a demand for it?
Up until this year, Universal really hadn't done anything at all with its older catalog.
Old 06-25-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Up until this year, Universal really hadn't done anything at all with its older catalog.
Universal's 100th anniversary is the greatest thing that could happen to Blu-ray collectors. I'm anxious to see the final specs and what films will be included, but I'll be all over this regardless. I hope there's a good price on it and it gets released early enough to dig into it during the October Horror Challenge.
Old 06-25-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Universal's 100th anniversary is the greatest thing that could happen to Blu-ray collectors.
Although the digital meddling with their transfers continues to irritate. I'm hoping that they'll be a bit more hands-off with the classic stuff.
Old 06-25-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Very happy for this. These classics will look great in HD.
Old 06-25-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 111 Likes on 95 Posts

Sweet!
Old 06-26-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Want.

Get those specs out, Uni!
Old 06-26-12, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 160 Likes on 120 Posts

I've heard rumors of 3-D blu ray of Creature from the Black Lagoon. That would be interesting.

I would only consider buying this if Bride of Frankenstein were substantially improved. Every DVD version has been horrible. And it's not the DVD's fault, it's the elements, they are very poor. Someone needs to find a negative or a nitrate print or something.
Old 06-26-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Universal's 100th anniversary is the greatest thing that could happen to Blu-ray collectors.
I agree, but this year has been murder on my wallet.
Old 06-28-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hot damn! All eight films will be included, plus the Spanish Dracula and....Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D! For some reason, no extras are listed for Invisible Man, Creature from the Black Lagoon, or Phantom of the Opera. Surely, there's enough room for all of them in SD? List price is $159.99, release date is 10/2, and an 'exclusive collector's book' is included.

Link
Old 06-28-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Up for pre-order at classicflix

http://www.classicflix.com/universal...n-p-12711.html

Here are the specs:

SYNOPSIS:
From the era of silent movies through present day, Universal Pictures has been regarded as the home of the monsters. Now, Universal Classic Monsters - The Essential Collection showcases 8 of the most iconic monsters in motion picture history including Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, The Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Starring Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney, Jr., Claude Rains and Elsa Lanchester in the roles that they made famous, these original films set the standard for a new horror genre with revolutionary makeup, mood-altering cinematography and groundbreaking special effects.

Featuring over 12 hours of revealing bonus features plus an exclusive collectible book, each film has been digitally restored from high resolution film elements for the ultimate classic monster experience.

Dracula (1931) - English & Spanish Versions
Relive the horror, the mystery, and the intrigue of the original 1931 vampire masterpiece starring Bela Lugosi and directed by Tod Browning. The inspiration for hundreds of subsequent remakes and adaptations, this classic film launched the Hollywood horror genre with its eerie passion, shadowy atmosphere, and thrilling cinematography. The children of the night are calling…

BONUS FEATURES:

The Road to Dracula
Lugosi: The Dark Prince
Dracula: The Restoration
Monster Tracks
Dracula Archives
Alternate Score by Philip Glass Performed by The Kronos Quartet
Feature Commentary with Film Historian David J. Shal
Feature Commentary with Screenwriter Steve Haberman
Trailer Gallery

Frankenstein (1931)
Boris Karloff stars as the screen's most memorable monster in what many consider to be the greatest horror film ever made. Dr. Frankenstein (Colin Clive) dares to tamper with the life and death by creating a human monster (Karloff) out of lifeless body parts. It's director James Whales' adaption of the Mary Shelley novel blended with Karloff's compassionate portrayal of a creature groping for identity that makes Frankenstein a masterpiece not only of genre, but for all time.

BONUS FEATURES:

The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster
Karloff: The Gentle Monster
Monster Tracks
Universal Horror
Frankenstein Archives
Boo! A Short Film
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Rudy Behlmer
Feature Commentary with Historian Sir Christopher Frayling
Trailer Gallery
100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics

The Mummy (1932)
In 1921 a field expedition in Egypt discovers the mummy of ancient Egyptian prince Im-Ho-Tep, who was condemned and buried alive for sacrilege. Also found in the tomb is the Scroll of Thoth, which can bring the dead back to life. One night a young member of the expedition reads the Scroll out loud, and then goes insane, realizing that he has brought Im-Ho-Tep back to life. Ten years later, disguised as a modern Egyptian, the mummy attempts to reunite with his lost love, an ancient princess who has been reincarnated into a beautiful young woman.

BONUS FEATURES:

Mummy Dearest: A Horror Tradition Unearthed
He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce
Unraveling The Legacy of The Mummy
The Mummy Archives
Feature Commentary with Rick Baker, Scott Essman, Steve Haberman, Bob Burns and Brent Armstrong
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Paul M. Jensen
Trailer Gallery
100 Years of Universal: The Carl Laemmle Era

The Invisible Man (1933)
Claude Rains delivers a remarkable performance in his screen debut as a mysterious doctor who discovers a serum that makes him invisible. Covered by bandages and dark glasses, Rains arrives at a small English village and attempts to hide his amazing discover. But the same drug which rends him invisible slowly drives him to commit acts of unspeakable terror.

Based on H.G. Well' classic novel and direct by the master of macabre James Whale, The Invisible Man no only fueled a host of sequels but features some special effects that are still imitated today.

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
One of the most popular horror classics of all time and an acclaimed sequel to the original Frankenstein. The legendary Boris Karloff reprises his role as the screen's most understood monster who now longs for a mate of his own. Colin Clive is back as the overly ambitious Dr. Frankenstein, who creates the ill-faed bride (Elsa Lanchester).

Directed by the original's James Whale (his last horror film) and featuring a haunting musical score, The Bride of Frankenstein ranks as one of the finest films not only of the genre, but for all time.

BONUS FEATURES:

She's Alive! Creating The Bride of Frankenstein
The Bride of Frankenstein Archive
Feature Commentary with Scott MacQueen
Trailer Gallery
100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics

The Wolf Man (1941)
Upon the death of his brother, Larry Talbot returns from America to his ancestral home in Wales. He visits a gypsy camp with village girl Jenny Williams, who is attacked by Bela, a gypsy who has turned into a werewolf. Larry kills the werewolf but is bitten during the fight.

Bela's mother tells him that this will cause him to become a werewolf at each full moon. Larry confesses his plight to his unbelieving father, Sir John, who then joins the villagers in a hunt for the wolf. Larry, transformed by the full moon, heads for the forest and a fateful meeting with both Sir John and Gwen.

BONUS FEATURES:

Monster by Moonlight
The Wolf Man: From Ancient Curse to Modern Myth
Pure in Heart: The Life and Legacy of Lon Chaney, Jr.
He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce
The Wolf Man Archives
Trailer Gallery
100 Years of Universal: The Lot
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Tom Weaver

Phantom of the Opera (1943)
This spectacular retelling of Gaston Leroux's immortal horror tale stars Claude Rains as the masked phantom of the Paris opera house - a crazed composer who schemes to make a beautiful young soprano (Susanna Foster) the star of the opera company and wreak revenge on those who stole his music. Nelson Eddy, the heroic baritone, tries to win the affections of Foster as he tracks down the disfigured "monster" who has begun murdering those who resist his mad demands. This lavish production remains a masterpiece not only of the genre, but for all time.

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - 2D & 3D
Scientists drug and capture the creature, who becomes enamored with the head scientist's female assistant (Julie Adams). The lonely creature, "a living amphibious missing link," escapes and kidnaps the object of his affection.

Chief scientist (Richard Carlson) then launches a crusade to rescue his assistant ans cast the ominous creature back to the depths from where he came. Well-acted and directed, and with Bud Westmore's brilliantly designed monster, Creature From The Black Lagoon remains an enduring tribute to the imaginative genius of its Hollywood creators.
Old 06-28-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Classic Monster Collection from Universal - 10/2/12

oh wow. i wonder how many discs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.