Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

I posted these kinds of comments before--not my own words, but quoted from someone in the industry, possibly earlier in this very thread.

Sure, I'd be happy if someone got a hold of these titles and sold them in the $15 neighborhood. I'd pay that much for them. But they didn't get them and Twilight Time did. And I want some of them, and will fork out the thirty bucks, because quality transfers of vintage movies are worth that to me, if that's what it takes to get Mysterious Island or The Big Heat or fascinating obscurities like The Roots of Heaven or Rapture on BD.

I won't lie. I enjoy low-priced BDs. Five bucks, ten bucks...the Best Buy trade-in, etc. But the "no movie is worth more than $5-10" mindset is, ironically, what is causing some of these titles to end up on premium-priced labels. The studios simply do not want lots of unsold copies, that have to be marked down to fire sale prices to get rid of them.

Sometimes, before complaining about the prices of these discs, we need to take a look in the mirror for the cause.
Old 07-14-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

^ And I do get that. I understand the realities. I just wish the titles were a little cheaper or not quite so limited. I was interested in all three of the titles that have gone OOP, but I just didn't feel like I had the free cash to throw that way. I actually was planning on buying Journey and Mysterious Island when I got a new job. That's obviously not going to happen now, but I will be buying The Big Heat at that time.
Old 07-14-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clckworang
I just wish the titles were a little cheaper or not quite so limited.
Or that they ported over the DVD's extras. I admit to be clueless about the bewildering world of licensing, but how is it that Pal Joey includes one featurette (but not the other) from Sony's Novak box set, while Cover Girl doesn't include the equivalent featurette from Sony's Hayworth box set?
Old 07-14-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ And I do get that. I understand the realities. I just wish the titles were a little cheaper or not quite so limited. I was interested in all three of the titles that have gone OOP, but I just didn't feel like I had the free cash to throw that way. I actually was planning on buying Journey and Mysterious Island when I got a new job. That's obviously not going to happen now, but I will be buying The Big Heat at that time.
Can't lie...I kinda wish they were cheaper too!

And if I were worried about cash, I wouldn't be buying any of them. Hope things smooth out for you.
Old 07-14-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

$22.50 per title would be the sweet spot for me. I'm just glad most of these titles are the "I would like to own" rather than must owns for me. Now if they would release Mulholland Dr. with Laura Harring's Bush intact..then I'd fork out 35.

and what about those stupid magnets that come with some of the titles? That cost money to produce too (unnecessary).
Old 07-14-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
and what about those stupid magnets that come with some of the titles? That cost money to produce too (unnecessary).
My refrigerator would like you to know that it resents that comment.
Old 07-14-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
My refrigerator would like you to know that it resents that comment.
Mine too!

Spoiler:
Old 07-14-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$22.50 per title would be the sweet spot for me. I'm just glad most of these titles are the "I would like to own" rather than must owns for me. Now if they would release Mulholland Dr. with Laura Harring's Bush intact..then I'd fork out 35.

Hey, those magnets are the only reason why I'm shelling out the $30 to $35 for these BDs. Whatever the cost, they're worth it.
Old 07-14-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Is it that important to be reminded that you've overpaid way too much everytime y'all grab a bite.

Then again, I'm sure y'all are Ballers, Shot-callers to be TT owners.
Old 07-15-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Well, you *can* pre-order them. You can also just wait until it's released. I think a pre-order would just guarantee that you would get it before it sells out.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-15-12, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it that important to be reminded that you've overpaid way too much everytime y'all grab a bite.

Then again, I'm sure y'all are Ballers, Shot-callers to be TT owners.
You're just jealous. Time for me to watch some hi-def Fright Night.

I'm not a fan of higher prices but I'd rather pay the premium for limited Blu-ray than for MOD at any price.
Old 07-16-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

The magnets are produced and thrown in the package as a freebie bonus by Screen Archives, not by Twilight Time. TT sets the same disc MSRP regardless of whether you get a magnet or not (and it's hit-or-miss which orders will include them).
Old 07-17-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

July 14 - Journey to the Center of the Earth and Mysterious Island Blu-rays from Twilight Time are now sold out.

---------------------------------

placed my order on the 11th, it shipped today and estimated on the 19th delivered by USPS.

I'm guessing 'Big Heat' goes next.
Old 07-26-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey guys, I check outed out Mysterious Island and was really impressed with the quality of this company and the pride (yet lack of features) in the transfer and isolated score... SOooo... I'm looking for them all!

I posted on the Trade Forum...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchang...ash-trade.html

not trying to hijack the thread... thanks.
Old 07-27-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Damn, I haven't picked up any TT titles yet but I'm a total sucker for movie-poster magnets
Old 07-27-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Damn, I haven't picked up any TT titles yet but I'm a total sucker for movie-poster magnets
I'm not looking to collect all the magnets, but I've placed about half a dozen orders with them and only gotten magnets in four of the orders. And only one of those magnets was specific to the movie (Fright Night). The others were either generic Screen Archives magnets or promoting a soundtrack release.

I know there were magnets made for Mysterious Island and The Big Heat; I didn't get those although I bought the movies (and Mysterious Island was a pre-order).

Did they do one for Bite the Bullet?
Old 07-27-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

finally caved in and bought 8 titles. Expensive stuff!
Old 07-28-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nitin77
finally caved in and bought 8 titles. Expensive stuff!
If you buy some from them on Amazon, they send you a coupon code to use on their main store.
Old 07-28-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Watching The Mysterious Island for the Sci-Fi Challenge right now and it looks fantastic for a movie this old.

This is going to be the second most expensive thread I have ever been pulled into on DVDTalk.
Old 07-28-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Watching The Mysterious Island for the Sci-Fi Challenge right now and it looks fantastic for a movie this old.

This is going to be the second most expensive thread I have ever been pulled into on DVDTalk.
Yes indeed, one heckuva great transfer. Watched it many times on TV as a youngster and it never looked remotely as good as it does here.
Old 07-28-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a feeling that NOTLD is going to sell out within a day or two on pre-orders alone. Horror fans, and eBay jackoffs, are keyed in to how valuable these can be.
Old 07-28-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I have a feeling that NOTLD is going to sell out within a day or two on pre-orders alone. Horror fans, and eBay jackoffs, are keyed in to how valuable these can be.
Fright Night took 35 days to sell out, and the NOTLD remake will sell out in a matter of days? TT definitely have more of a buzz now, among both groups you cite, but surely not enough to create such a scenario. I'm thinking a little more like six or seven weeks to sell out, which would still be pretty impressive, relatively speaking. I am surprised they didn't reach out to Savini for a signing though.
Old 07-28-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd like to think you're right, but I've seen plenty of fans chomping at the bit to pre-order it on other sites. Couple that with eBay sellers and I think it can blow out 3K copies in a week and change, possibly.
Old 07-28-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was always under the impression the remake wasn't that great.
Old 07-28-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I was always under the impression the remake wasn't that great.
It isn't, but apparently it may have a larger cult following than I figured. We'll see.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.