Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

I think all the Hobbit 3D titles are out of print (domestically), so it's catch-as-catch-can.
Old 11-21-22, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
I think all the Hobbit 3D titles are out of print (domestically), so it's catch-as-catch-can.
Old 11-21-22, 06:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Anyone view Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D? How’s the presentation?
Old 11-21-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Hamilton Books has Five Armies and Smaug theatrical in stock.
They might have Spanish covers, but have English tracks.
Old 11-21-22, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Hamilton Books has Five Armies and Smaug theatrical in stock.
They might have Spanish covers, but have English tracks.
I have the theatrical cut. What I'm hunting for is the extended cut.
Old 11-22-22, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I looked around a little bit, and that is the most difficult one to find. Maybe because it came at the end of the series, a year after the last film (the normal delay for the extended versions), with interest in 3D waning by then, and maybe people picked up trilogy boxsets instead of the individual title. In any case, it seems that it probably had the smallest print run, and as such, it is the hardest to find now.

If you can settle for an import version, that might be easier to get (although those might OOP too). If you want a domestic one, you're probably going to have to settle for a used one, although new ones occasionally pop-up on eBay. The UPC is 883929486670, so search for that on eBay.
Old 11-22-22, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Might also be worth unloading the other two and getting the 3D Extended Boxed set. The UK box is all region and usually hovers around the $50+ range on Amazon, occasionally less.
Old 11-22-22, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I looked around a little bit, and that is the most difficult one to find. Maybe because it came at the end of the series, a year after the last film (the normal delay for the extended versions), with interest in 3D waning by then, and maybe people picked up trilogy boxsets instead of the individual title. In any case, it seems that it probably had the smallest print run, and as such, it is the hardest to find now.

If you can settle for an import version, that might be easier to get (although those might OOP too). If you want a domestic one, you're probably going to have to settle for a used one, although new ones occasionally pop-up on eBay. The UPC is 883929486670, so search for that on eBay.
Thanks. I'll use that UPC to aid me in my search.

Originally Posted by Brian T
Might also be worth unloading the other two and getting the 3D Extended Boxed set. The UK box is all region and usually hovers around the $50+ range on Amazon, occasionally less.
Really? I'd seen trilogy box sets for both the theatrical and extended cuts but assumed they were only in 2D.
Old 11-22-22, 08:14 PM

I have all 3 extended 3D Blus (one was a SteelBook), but have yet to see them. I just have a no desire to revisit. It’s certainly not TLotR. What’s the 3 US versions go for anyway?
Old 11-22-22, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really? I'd seen trilogy box sets for both the theatrical and extended cuts but assumed they were only in 2D.
This is the version I went with. I avoided the singles as they came out because I figured they might do this. I believe there was a US 3D trilogy box but I don't recall it lasting long. The UK set stayed in print longer, and even now there still seems to be a lot of copies floating around (possibly because people assume it's region-coded?). Two different listings at Amazon, but I believe they're both for the UK set. One listing just has more pics. Mine came in a really sturdy magnetic-flap box (similar to but bigger than the one used on the deluxe LOTR trilogy). Pretty sure these were only packaged that way, so that should be what you'd get if you ordered:

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

EDIT: This might be the American version, much higher priced now, but it shows some additional pics of the UK set:
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-23-22, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah, I just assumed there was some reason you'd avoided the trilogy boxset. If that's of interest to you, then selling the singles and buying the UK boxset for $55 on Amazon is probably the best way to go. As mentioned, the US boxset was only in print for a very short time, sold out, and was not reprinted. The UK boxset was in print for years, which is why it's readily available and relatively cheap. There's no difference between the US and UK sets, aside from the obnoxious age markings on the packaging, and the digital copy, which, for the UK set, is only redeemable in the UK. The digital copies are probably expired at this point anyway.
Old 11-23-22, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

I know, that's why I didn't quote you, and specifically said "theatrical". I was only saying that "all" are not sold out.

If you're interested, Vudu has it. https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...tion-3D/709702
In case you're not aware, Vudu 3D playback is limited to certain devices only.

Sometime back in the Summer I rewatched all of these. Really good 3D.
Old 11-23-22, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is the version I went with. I avoided the singles as they came out because I figured they might do this. I believe there was a US 3D trilogy box but I don't recall it lasting long. The UK set stayed in print longer, and even now there still seems to be a lot of copies floating around (possibly because people assume it's region-coded?). Two different listings at Amazon, but I believe they're both for the UK set. One listing just has more pics. Mine came in a really sturdy magnetic-flap box (similar to but bigger than the one used on the deluxe LOTR trilogy). Pretty sure these were only packaged that way, so that should be what you'd get if you ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Trilog.../dp/B08CS522Y7
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Trilog.../dp/B00ZX1Y7O6

EDIT: This might be the American version, much higher priced now, but it shows some additional pics of the UK set:
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-3D-Pic.../dp/B0190FYM4A
Thanks. I used the cheaper of the first two links.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (11-24-22)
Old 12-08-22, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

New Kickstarter for a 3D Blu-ray release of a Youtube webseries, originally made while Youtube supported 3D viewing.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ad-3d-blu-ray/
Crime Squad 3D was meticulously shot using native 3D technology in 2012/2013 and released to the near thunderous applause of the cast, crew & their families in mid-2015. Having launched on YouTube just as the 3D craze was waning the comedy web series was only available online for a short time prior to being saved in Enhanced Dimensions 3D Vaults.

Only previously available in 3D online via YouTube in a compressed side-by-side format at 720p, this will be the first time Crime Squad will be seen as intended in full 1080p Glorious Digital 3D.
The 3-disc set is almost sold out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
Alan Smithee (12-09-22), IDrinkMolson (12-08-22)
Old 12-08-22, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting. I'd be surprised if the creator wasn't at least partly inspired by the actual 1995 Australian 'retro cops' TV show FUNKY SQUAD, which had the advantage of an actual comedy troupe behind it.

Old 12-14-22, 08:52 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 535 Likes on 471 Posts

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...one-3d-project

《 CAT SHIT ONE 》 3D PROJECT!
Military action CGI “CAT SHIT ONE” in DVD & Blu-ray & Blu-ray-3D special package!

Note: main film is about 22 minutes

Old 12-15-22, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe it's my browser settings messing with currency displays, but are they actually seeking ten million yen to put this together? That's about $72,000 US. Seems steep. The 3D Film Archive doesn't ask for that much in any of their feature-length (and far more complicated) restorations and special editions, even though they routinely exceed their goals. Also, calling this "The Animated Series" seems disingenuous; I can't find evidence that it was anything more than one 22-minute short. Am I missing something here, or is this a typical valuation for other 'revived anime' Kickstarters? All of the bonus content appears to be from the original Blu-ray, so presumably they're just producing new copies of the existing 2D Blu and DVD, and adding the 3D disc? I'm curious to see it, but not when it's minimum $50 CDN (+ $11 CDN shipping) to get a copy.
Old 12-15-22, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's my browser settings messing with currency displays, but are they actually seeking ten million yen to put this together? That's about $72,000 US. Seems steep. The 3D Film Archive doesn't ask for that much in any of their feature-length (and far more complicated) restorations and special editions, even though they routinely exceed their goals. Also, calling this "The Animated Series" seems disingenuous; I can't find evidence that it was anything more than one 22-minute short.
From what I can find, it was originally announced as a series, although they only ever produced one episode. So it's been known under the title "Cat Shit One: The Animated Series " its entire existence.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...d-for-december
The production company IDA Entertainment has announced at Tokyo's TIFFCOM industry event on Tuesday that it plans to release the Cat Shit One video anime on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in the United States this December.... IDA is still working towards an eventual 12-episode television series version of Cat Shit One, and it is putting together the writer, production details, budget, and distribution plan.
As for 3D Film Archive, my understanding is that they always partner with a distributor, so they're not paying to have the actual discs mastered and pressed, the Kickstarters are only for the restoration, and maybe only pay for part of the restoration & bonus features. So while Kino and other distributors take on some of the risk, anticipating they'll be able to sell many many more discs than were pledged for in the Kickstarter when the title hits retail, if Blast Inc. is doing self-distribution, they essentially have to get a guaranteed minimum number of orders before it economically makes sense to send it to the disc press.
Old 12-16-22, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Makes sense. I'm skeptical that they'll get what they're asking, though. I know it's still early in the campaign, but the increase in donations between yesterday and today is pretty slim. Blast Inc. might have been better off pairing up with a distributor rather than going this route, but even then anime distributors might not predict enough demand to opt in. But if they did, then as with 3D Film Archive titles, at least then people who can't afford to pay $50 for a 22-minute 3D film (even with the original discs included) would have a shot at buying it cheaper down the road, or perhaps in a sale a la Kino's 3D titles. Oddly enough, 3D Film Archive routinely gets four to five times what they ask for in their Kickstarters, usually exceeding their goal(s) within the first couple of days, so in theory they probably could afford to press a certain number of discs themselves over and above the initial orders, but obviously having a distribution partner means that money cab go toward better supplements and packaging, and presumably other things related to that specific film (I hope, anyway).
Old 12-16-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Makes sense. I'm skeptical that they'll get what they're asking, though. I know it's still early in the campaign, but the increase in donations between yesterday and today is pretty slim. Blast Inc. might have been better off pairing up with a distributor rather than going this route...
Well, that's sort of the beauty of the all-or-nothing Kicstarter goal: either they get enough pledges to finance the pressing themselves, or they don't get enough pledges, and zero money changes hand, and Blast Inc may then look at other options.

Oddly enough, 3D Film Archive routinely gets four to five times what they ask for in their Kickstarters, usually exceeding their goal(s) within the first couple of days, so in theory they probably could afford to press a certain number of discs themselves over and above the initial orders...
No, pressing discs is expensive, and there's usually a minimum number that needs to be pressed to make it at all economic. It's not something 3D Film Archive could just "throw together" with a few extra bucks. Keep in mind that their deal with the distributor likely not only includes the actually pressing and distribution of discs, but some actual payments as well. The Kickstarters could be a case of getting some additional money upfront, since the distributor may not pay out fully until the finished master is actually delivered, and may prove there's a certain level of demand for a title to a distributor, since a distributor knows that they can sell, say, 10x the number of discs to the general public than what the Kickstarter distributes.

To look at other Kickstarters I backed, The recent Crime Squad 3D only had a $3,000 goal, but is using BD-R instead of pressed discs. In contrast, a Kickstarter for "World of Tomorrow" by Don Hertzfeld had a goal of $30,000 for a pressed Blu-ray and other rewards. It wasn't to fund any content creation, solely for putting existing content on a pressed disc.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ay/description
IS THIS A PRE-ORDER?

no, like before, if the blu doesn't reach the minimum fundraising goal we'd prefer to skip it. a helpful part of this for us has been to gauge the world's continued interest in physical media, if any, from a safe distance
And that was for a single disc release. Considering CSO is pressing two discs, the costs maybe double, and then their ask of $72,000 doesn't seem out of the ballpark.
Old 01-01-23, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
Brian T (01-03-23), IDrinkMolson (01-01-23), sparks (01-01-23)
Old 01-01-23, 03:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the update. Just a super Golden 3Der to add to our collections...keep 'em coming 3DFA and KLSC!!!
Old 01-13-23, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WAKANDA FOREVER 4K + 3D Blu-ray combo - Japan only (of course). Two versions on this one:

Regular Case:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/ライアン・クーグラー/dp/B0BRR5YTRS/

Steelbook:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/ライアン・クーグラー/dp/B0BRR51GMK

Last edited by Brian T; 01-13-23 at 08:25 AM.
Alan Smithee (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 05:58 PM

$100?? No. Just no. This will be the first Marvel Blu 3D I won’t get. I’m not paying $100 USD. That’s ridiculous. I’ll buy the digital with all extras, but not paying $100. Dammit.
Old 01-13-23, 06:04 PM

Fuck, I bought it. Dammit. Self-diagnosed OCD is killing me.
Alan Smithee (01-15-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.