Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Old 11-20-22, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

I think all the Hobbit 3D titles are out of print (domestically), so it's catch-as-catch-can.
Old 11-21-22, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
I think all the Hobbit 3D titles are out of print (domestically), so it's catch-as-catch-can.
Old 11-21-22, 07:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 605 Likes on 519 Posts

Anyone view Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D? How’s the presentation?
Old 11-21-22, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 490 Likes on 217 Posts

Hamilton Books has Five Armies and Smaug theatrical in stock.
They might have Spanish covers, but have English tracks.
Old 11-21-22, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
Hamilton Books has Five Armies and Smaug theatrical in stock.
They might have Spanish covers, but have English tracks.
I have the theatrical cut. What I'm hunting for is the extended cut.
Old 11-22-22, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I looked around a little bit, and that is the most difficult one to find. Maybe because it came at the end of the series, a year after the last film (the normal delay for the extended versions), with interest in 3D waning by then, and maybe people picked up trilogy boxsets instead of the individual title. In any case, it seems that it probably had the smallest print run, and as such, it is the hardest to find now.

If you can settle for an import version, that might be easier to get (although those might OOP too). If you want a domestic one, you're probably going to have to settle for a used one, although new ones occasionally pop-up on eBay. The UPC is 883929486670, so search for that on eBay.
Old 11-22-22, 09:15 AM

Received 239 Likes on 187 Posts

Might also be worth unloading the other two and getting the 3D Extended Boxed set. The UK box is all region and usually hovers around the $50+ range on Amazon, occasionally less.
Old 11-22-22, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I looked around a little bit, and that is the most difficult one to find. Maybe because it came at the end of the series, a year after the last film (the normal delay for the extended versions), with interest in 3D waning by then, and maybe people picked up trilogy boxsets instead of the individual title. In any case, it seems that it probably had the smallest print run, and as such, it is the hardest to find now.

If you can settle for an import version, that might be easier to get (although those might OOP too). If you want a domestic one, you're probably going to have to settle for a used one, although new ones occasionally pop-up on eBay. The UPC is 883929486670, so search for that on eBay.
Thanks. I'll use that UPC to aid me in my search.

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Might also be worth unloading the other two and getting the 3D Extended Boxed set. The UK box is all region and usually hovers around the $50+ range on Amazon, occasionally less.
Really? I'd seen trilogy box sets for both the theatrical and extended cuts but assumed they were only in 2D.
Old 11-22-22, 09:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 605 Likes on 519 Posts

I have all 3 extended 3D Blus (one was a SteelBook), but have yet to see them. I just have a no desire to revisit. It’s certainly not TLotR. What’s the 3 US versions go for anyway?
Old 11-22-22, 10:25 PM

Received 239 Likes on 187 Posts

Really? I'd seen trilogy box sets for both the theatrical and extended cuts but assumed they were only in 2D.
This is the version I went with. I avoided the singles as they came out because I figured they might do this. I believe there was a US 3D trilogy box but I don't recall it lasting long. The UK set stayed in print longer, and even now there still seems to be a lot of copies floating around (possibly because people assume it's region-coded?). Two different listings at Amazon, but I believe they're both for the UK set. One listing just has more pics. Mine came in a really sturdy magnetic-flap box (similar to but bigger than the one used on the deluxe LOTR trilogy). Pretty sure these were only packaged that way, so that should be what you'd get if you ordered:

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

EDIT: This might be the American version, much higher priced now, but it shows some additional pics of the UK set:
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-23-22, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah, I just assumed there was some reason you'd avoided the trilogy boxset. If that's of interest to you, then selling the singles and buying the UK boxset for $55 on Amazon is probably the best way to go. As mentioned, the US boxset was only in print for a very short time, sold out, and was not reprinted. The UK boxset was in print for years, which is why it's readily available and relatively cheap. There's no difference between the US and UK sets, aside from the obnoxious age markings on the packaging, and the digital copy, which, for the UK set, is only redeemable in the UK. The digital copies are probably expired at this point anyway.
Old 11-23-22, 01:27 PM

Received 490 Likes on 217 Posts

I know, that's why I didn't quote you, and specifically said "theatrical". I was only saying that "all" are not sold out.

If you're interested, Vudu has it. https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...tion-3D/709702
In case you're not aware, Vudu 3D playback is limited to certain devices only.

Sometime back in the Summer I rewatched all of these. Really good 3D.
Old 11-23-22, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
This is the version I went with. I avoided the singles as they came out because I figured they might do this. I believe there was a US 3D trilogy box but I don't recall it lasting long. The UK set stayed in print longer, and even now there still seems to be a lot of copies floating around (possibly because people assume it's region-coded?). Two different listings at Amazon, but I believe they're both for the UK set. One listing just has more pics. Mine came in a really sturdy magnetic-flap box (similar to but bigger than the one used on the deluxe LOTR trilogy). Pretty sure these were only packaged that way, so that should be what you'd get if you ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Trilog.../dp/B08CS522Y7
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Trilog.../dp/B00ZX1Y7O6

EDIT: This might be the American version, much higher priced now, but it shows some additional pics of the UK set:
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-3D-Pic.../dp/B0190FYM4A
Thanks. I used the cheaper of the first two links.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (11-24-22)