Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-14, 12:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

i assume sans extras though.
Old 02-14-14, 04:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Also, Fry's currently has these on sale for $12.99:

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Prometheus
Predator
Immortals
Old 02-14-14, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Good deal on those Warner double-features, but keep in mind Deathly Hallows Part 1 wasn't released in 3D theatrically. In fact both of them are post-converted.
Old 02-17-14, 09:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IIRC, Harry Potter 7b had some really horrible artifacts as a result of the post-conversion process.
Old 02-20-14, 10:28 AM
Banned by request

In case anyone is interested, IMAX 50th Anniversary 10 disc set is on sale from Groupon for $49.99 for the next couple of days.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-ima...n-on-blu-ray-1

EDIT: Only Arabia is in 3D. Slight oversight there....

Last edited by E Unit; 02-20-14 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-09-14, 12:07 PM
Banned by request

I'm putting in a vote for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Now this is a great movie in 3D, just finished watching it.
Old 04-11-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The Jurassic Park BD transfer was done just a little over a year ago- I haven't seen it, but if there isn't anything wrong with it why would they do a new one now? I'll be reviewing the 3D Top Gun here as soon as it comes in the mail.
What was wrong with the original JP release?
Old 05-01-14, 03:51 PM
Banned by request

Just an FYI - Amazon has Dial M for Murder 3D, Wizard of Oz 3D, and Cirque du Soleil: World's Away 3D for $17.99 each.
Old 01-22-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After years of putting it off, I finally got into the 3D game. I really don't have much 3D experience. In fact, I'm pretty sure the last movie we saw in 3D was Avatar in the theaters. But recently I got a projector that is currently throwing a 140 inch picture and figured I would grab a couple pairs of 3D glasses to at least check it out from time to time. Searching through my collection on Bluray.com, I was actually surprised to see that I already had 43 3D movies. I've always taken the approach that if it was a small enough price difference between both versions, I would just grab the 3D version. So over the years I have most of the Pixar and Marvel movies in 3D. Looking forward to watching the first one this weekend, now we just have to decide which one to start with .
Old 01-22-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
After years of putting it off, I finally got into the 3D game. I really don't have much 3D experience. In fact, I'm pretty sure the last movie we saw in 3D was Avatar in the theaters. But recently I got a projector that is currently throwing a 140 inch picture and figured I would grab a couple pairs of 3D glasses to at least check it out from time to time. Searching through my collection on Bluray.com, I was actually surprised to see that I already had 43 3D movies. I've always taken the approach that if it was a small enough price difference between both versions, I would just grab the 3D version. So over the years I have most of the Pixar and Marvel movies in 3D. Looking forward to watching the first one this weekend, now we just have to decide which one to start with .
My vote is for Finding Nemo. It looks seriously great.

And welcome aboard the 3D train!
Old 01-22-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I wouldn't start with a Marvel movie. I have found the 3D in those films underwhelming. Probably the best 3D of any Marvel movie I've seen has been Ant-Man.
Old 01-22-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We have Finding Nemo. Maybe we can give it a spin this weekend.

I'm hoping Pacific Rim looks good. That is probably the one I'm most eager to watch since I love that movie.
Old 01-22-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I wouldn't start with a Marvel movie. I have found the 3D in those films underwhelming. Probably the best 3D of any Marvel movie I've seen has been Ant-Man.
Likewise, Pixar tends to be extremely conservative with 3D depth.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
We have Finding Nemo. Maybe we can give it a spin this weekend.

I'm hoping Pacific Rim looks good. That is probably the one I'm most eager to watch since I love that movie.
Pacific Rim has great 3D. That's a good one to start with.
Old 01-22-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed on Pacific Rim. It does have a really strong 3D presentation.

Looking at mattysemo247's collection, I would also recommend Life of Pi.
Old 01-22-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I've been a 3D convert since they started putting them on discs, and I'll even purchase movies I might otherwise rent or sign out from the library if they only existed in 2D, but so far the best "into-the-room" experience has been on Kino's release of Arch Oboler's THE BUBBLE, in particular shots of an airplane wing and a saloon dancer extending and holding out her leg that both come further off the screen than anything I've seen so far (at least at home). And there's plenty more

I realize the big studio "conversions" -- and maybe even the filmmakers on whose films they're performed -- favour the illusion of depth from screen level away from the audience over the illusion of crap flying off the screen at the audience -- which is perfectly fine -- but seriously, the pop-out gimmick was the major draw behind the first two 3D waves (50's and 80's) and it was often done extremely well. Sure, the movies weren't mega-budget productions like today's comic 'n cartoon franchises, but finally seeing something as quaint as THE BUBBLE in proper 3D (as opposed to the old anaglyph Rhino DVD) and realizing that home technology really can extend things far into the room without any loss of integrity has me longing for more cheese, such as the upcoming COMIN' AT YA, which has a ridiculous number of in-your-face-just-because shots. I can only hope that the like-minded TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS might be under consideration as well.

I'd also kill for a 3D Blu-ray of a Hong Kong/Taiwanese martial arts film I saw many years ago here at a Kung-Fu Fridays theatrical screening, in an excellent-quality print. The name of it eludes me -- I think it may have been 1977's DYNASTY? -- but the pop-out effects were phenomenal, with all manner of feet, fists, weapons and, most impressively, flaming staffs hovering out over the audience. Man, to see that at home . . .
Old 01-25-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We watched Pacific Rim over the weekend. It looked great. We had to break it up over two nights because it was getting late and our eyes started to hurt a little bit from the 3D effects. Hopefully we get used to it a little more the more we watch.
Old 01-25-16, 07:02 PM

I've heard of some people getting "tired" from watching 3D, but I've watched 3D movies literally all day with no problems. The only thing I've noticed is it's harder to watch when I'm not fully awake, and I tend to fall asleep easier while watching it if I already need to go to sleep. I've also heard some people see flickering on active 3D, I'm very sensitive to picture problems but luckily I don't notice that- the halving of resolution on passive 3D was much worse to me. I've heard the 4K TVs have solved that problem.
Old 01-27-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good to hear a little feedback on The Bubble. I just purchased that one along with The Mask. I'm looking forward to checking out both of them. I'm hoping to have a chance this weekend.
Old 01-28-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Good to hear a little feedback on The Bubble. I just purchased that one along with The Mask. I'm looking forward to checking out both of them. I'm hoping to have a chance this weekend.
The Bubble is a terrible movie, but it's a great 3D experience. It's filled with tons of smack-you-in-the-face pop-out effects.

It's great fun to watch in 3D. It would probably be unwatchable in 2D. The plot is completely incoherent and the acting is all amateurish at best. But man, watch out for that fireman's ladder that swings out over your head!
Old 02-10-16, 09:35 PM
Banned by request

So....I'm guessing it's time to close the curtain...at least in the US. I read this in my news feed, but the Digitalbits also posted about it. Hunt hypothesizes that even though TV companies are stopping production, they cotinue to work on 3D technology. So it may return - in about 10 years.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/3d-televisi...uction-1542580

3D television is dead: Samsung and LG cut back on 3D TV production

Just a few short years after 3D burst into our living rooms claiming to be the future of television, it is dead. The technology was barely mentioned at the CES technology show in January 2016, and now both LG and Samsung have cut back their use of 3D.

Samsung will not be including 3D in any of its 2016 televisions, while LG is only adding the feature to its most expensive models, cutting the number of TVs it sells with 3D capabilities from 40% in 2015 to 20% this year. The cutbacks come after Sky canned its 3D channel and consumer interest shifts to Ultra HD and virtual reality.

Korean news site ETNews reports that, according to industry sources, Samsung has not ordered any new 3D glasses from its suppliers. Such glasses would normally be bundled in pairs with every new 3D television sold. "Even though we had been supplying 3D glasses until last year, there is no[t] any request for new supply this year." a representative of the supplier said, adding: "It is seen that Samsung Electronics is not going to apply 3D technology into its new TVs."

LG joins the 3D TV cull

It is a similar story at LG. A representative of the company told ETNews: "Although 40% of all TVs last year had 3D functions, only 20% of TVs this year will have 3D function. Because there are still consumers who enjoy 3D movies and others, we are going to apply 3D function mainly on premium products."

A lack of 3D content is a huge problem for the technology. A good number of films arrive at the cinema in both 2D and 3D, but very few televisions networks broadcast in 3D. In many cases, such as Sky 3D, those who offered broadcast 3D no longer do because of a lack of content and paying subscribers.

A recent report from market research company IHS states: "3D TV was a fail due to content, prices and technology. The fact that people have to wear glasses to watch 3D TVs did not work too well for consumers."

3D will likely now be put on hold by consumers and TV manufacturers alike until the same pictures can be produced without the need for glasses.

Last edited by E Unit; 02-10-16 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, if Samsung is cutting it from all of their models, it's pretty much dead.
Old 02-10-16, 10:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

This sux.
Old 02-10-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Guess I will just have to start importing then.
Old 02-10-16, 11:56 PM

Because there are still consumers who enjoy 3D movies and others, we are going to apply 3D function mainly on premium products.
Fine- premium products usually last longer anyways.

A good number of films arrive at the cinema in both 2D and 3D, but very few televisions networks broadcast in 3D.
Who the hell cares? I don't even watch "televisions networks" anymore.

The fact that people have to wear glasses to watch 3D TVs did not work too well for consumers.
Boo-fucking-hoo. You've ALWAYS had to wear glasses for 3D.

Guess I will just have to start importing then.
That article is from the UK, where I've ordered a number of 3D Blu-Rays from which haven't been available in the US. This could just be another piece of anti-3D misinformation, but we'll see. If the industry really wanted to push 3D, they'd be doing it.
Old 02-11-16, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Rather amusing how "consumer interest" always seems to shift to things for which there is virtually NO CONTENT yet, or certainly not enough for any of these companies to accurately gauge acceptance. They should probably be honest and just say "manufacturer interest" has shifted to whatever short-lived cash grab is next.

Also amusing how 3D continues to be the more common option for 'blockbuster' shows in theatres, but supposedly no one is interested in it at home. I do agree that pricing on the discs has long been ridiculous. Only this past Christmas did Amazon Canada temporarily reduce a large swath of 3D Blu-ray titles to where they should be all the time ($16-20 range).

Oh well, thank goodness virtual reality doesn't require awkward headgear like those terrible little lightweight plastic 3D glasses. Oh, wait a minute . . .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.