Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
None of the equipment I have can even access 3D movies on Vudu or Netflix, and the prices of 3D movies on Vudu are too high anyways. Still cheaper to import from Europe if they're going to keep playing that game.
Netflix only has about a half dozen 3D films anyway. I watched The Hole (2009) on there earlier this month. It looked great, so I wish they had more stuff I want to watch. The one time I tried to watch something in 3D on VUDU (just a trailer) it looked like crap.
Old 02-28-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Saw a tweet from Kino yesterday that they'll be releasing the 3D version of Paul Leder's A*P*E (1976), apparently in collaboration (yet again) with the 3D Film Archive.
I was already hellbent on making sure my next TV would support 3D, and now that's an extra-lock. A*P*E is one of my all-time favorites.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 02-28-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Stuff like "A*P*E" coming out makes me wonder if the doom-and-gloom reports about 3D aren't just a bit exaggerated- I'm sure these obscure older movies don't sell too many copies in either 3D or 2D, yet they at least haven't lost money putting them out. It seem more like Disney don't care if they make a billion dollars releasing something because in their minds they should get at least 5 billion.
Old 02-28-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Stuff like "A*P*E" coming out makes me wonder if the doom-and-gloom reports about 3D aren't just a bit exaggerated- I'm sure these obscure older movies don't sell too many copies in either 3D or 2D, yet they at least haven't lost money putting them out. It seem more like Disney don't care if they make a billion dollars releasing something because in their minds they should get at least 5 billion.
I agree.

And I will definitely be buying this release and any other vintage 3D Blu releases to support them.

I don't know the sales figures but I believe the 3D Rarities release sold pretty well.
Old 02-29-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I was already hellbent on making sure my next TV would support 3D, and now that's an extra-lock. A*P*E is one of my all-time favorites.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I agree.

And I will definitely be buying this release and any other vintage 3D Blu releases to support them.

I don't know the sales figures but I believe the 3D Rarities release sold pretty well.

There's clearly an audience for this stuff or it wouldn't be getting released by both the major and niche labels. And we're obviously willing to pay top dollar for a lot of it as titles like 3D RARITIES rarely go on sale in any appreciable way, and frankly I get the impression their distributors know they don't need to discount them to get them out the door.

In fact, in many ways the current state of Blu-ray reminds me of all that was great about laserdisc when it was in it's prime: there's kind of an embarrassment of riches out there nowadays that contributes to the feeling of an exclusive club, of sorts.

Still, I'm almost tempted to buy an additional current 3D set just to have it in storage if and when my current one craps out, although I'm hopeful that 3D will still be an option on at least some sets (including 4K sets) in the future, even if its not overly promoted. Surely at this point it's not a particularly costly feature to include in the package?

Regarding A*P*E, schlocky though it is I'm also curious to see if it any pop-out effects similar to those in THE BUBBLE as they both utilized the Space-Vision process and the pop-outs in the latter are both highly stable and phenomenal.

I did notice an interesting reply from the 3D Archive in the comments below their A*P*E announcement on Facebook: apparently, they finished work on THE STEWARDESSES "but the current distributor (Shout) has no interest in an upgrade. They're still selling an anaglyphic conversion." Damn.
Old 02-29-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Regarding A*P*E, schlocky though it is I'm also curious to see if it any pop-out effects similar to those in THE BUBBLE
I can't speak to the quality of the 3D in A*P*E, having only seen it in 2D, but it's definitely aiming for pop-out effects...like when the savage-types are chucking spears directly at the camera.

I'm sure these obscure older movies don't sell too many copies in either 3D or 2D, yet they at least haven't lost money putting them out.
It's a completely different business. There's a reason all the major studios have essentially abandoned catalog titles at retail. Even Warner, the last holdout, is putting plum titles like their Hitchcocks and Bogey/Bacalls out through Warner Archive.
Old 02-29-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I can't speak to the quality of the 3D in A*P*E, having only seen it in 2D, but it's definitely aiming for pop-out effects...like when the savage-types are chucking spears directly at the camera.
It's been a long time since I watched my DVD, but the mention of speaar-chucking has me jonesing even more for the two Taiwanese martial arts films -- DYNASTY and REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN. I mentioned in an earlier post seeing one of these at a Kung Fu Fridays screening here over a decade ago, and thinking it was 1977's DYNASTY, but now that I spotted the SHOGUN WOMEN poster on the 3D Archives site, I'm 100% certain that was the picture I saw. Hugely entertaining. In addition to fiery spears being chucked well into the theatre space, a myriad of other weapons -- not to mention abundant nudity -- popped off the screen with abandon, almost COMIN' AT YA-style albeit with more plot. The print shown here was in remarkable condition, so it's nice to think it's still floating around out there.

Old 02-29-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Never heard of it but I would buy it for the title and poster art alone.
Old 03-01-16, 12:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

how's this presentation overall?

i read the review @ Bluray.com, but not sure if it is for me. really have no ties to Smurfs, but i would get it at it's great price on Amazon for the 3D presentation and if the story is somewhat enjoyable for adults...
Old 03-01-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you have kids, I don't see how any of the Smurfs movies could be watched by an adult. Same thing for Alvin and the Chipmunks. Save your money for something else.
Old 03-01-16, 01:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

The presentation overall is very good. But not really enjoyable for adults. I bought it for my daughter, so it was a good reason there to get the 3D edition. But I doubt I'd revisit this again until my younger kids are ready to start seeing movies in a few years.

Reminds me of getting Step Up 3. Sure the 3D is great, but some crap isn't worth owning.
Old 03-01-16, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
The presentation overall is very good. But not really enjoyable for adults. I bought it for my daughter, so it was a good reason there to get the 3D edition. But I doubt I'd revisit this again until my younger kids are ready to start seeing movies in a few years.

Reminds me of getting Step Up 3. Sure the 3D is great, but some crap isn't worth owning.
true.
Old 03-03-16, 01:34 PM

how is Oz: The Great and Powerful?
Old 03-03-16, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, that's a good one. About as good as Smurfs, except I like Oz.
Old 03-07-16, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like Zootopia is getting a 3D release. Really surprising since they skipped over Frozen and Big Hero 6 in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 03-07-16, 07:46 AM
Banned by request

Is this official? I think they did that same thing with BH6 and Frozen before announcing there would be no 3D in the US.
Old 03-09-16, 06:04 PM

They have it up for pre-order at Target and Best Buy. Put in a pre-order at Target just to show my support.
Old 03-12-16, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to throw out a big for Twilight Time's release of Man In the Dark. This is one of the best 3D BD presentations I have seen. Lots of pop-ups and great depth throughout. The movie is corny but I still enjoyed it.
Old 04-06-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit! Didn't think this would ever be released, much less in 3D! Coming June 14th, 2016!

http://www.amazon.com/Jaws-3-Blu-ray...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Back cover confirming 3D: spoilered for size

Spoiler:
Old 04-06-16, 04:40 PM

i got a lot of crap, but not sure this warrants a purchase even in 3D. then again @ $15, who knows...
Old 04-06-16, 11:23 PM

They're giving it away for $15! I wish they would've used its proper title "Jaws 3D" on the cover though, or at least given it some more front-cover hype about the 3D to hopefully charm a few more people into it. (The previous 2D video editions called it just "Jaws III" both on the cover and onscreen, it was shown in 2D at drive-in theaters also.) It was released in 3D on the Japanese VHD format.

It'll be fun watching this dubbed in Thai too! I wonder if my original polarized glasses from this, which I still have, would work on a passive 3D TV?
Old 04-07-16, 06:36 AM
Banned by request

I wonder if my original polarized glasses from this, which I still have, would work on a passive 3D TV?
Based on the spoiler picture above on Post #269, you'll need an active/passive 3D Tv for it. Not the old school stuff.
Old 04-07-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

I wish they would've used its proper title "Jaws 3D" on the cover though,
I think the problem with that is that some people would confuse Jaws 3 for a 3D conversion of the original Jaws.
Old 04-07-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Holy shit! Didn't think this would ever be released, much less in 3D! Coming June 14th, 2016!
Perhaps this will finally provide some motivation for other companies to release more of the remaining titles from the 80's 3D revival.
Old 04-12-16, 08:30 PM

How is the 3D presentation of The Little Mermaid? Worth the upgrade from 2D?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.