Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
3D will be back once those new Avatar movies get released. Then it will die out again with a bunch of post-converts which is what killed it this time around.
3D in theaters is still going strong. What killed home 3D was those shutter glasses, a lack of content (in comparison to the onslaught of 2D content), and changing viewing habits.
Old 11-28-19, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

3D isn't really "going strong" in theaters, more people are refusing to pay the upcharges and in response theaters are running more 2D showings rather than dropping the prices. I've given up on theaters for a number of reasons anyways, one of which is that 3D is usually too dark and 2D often is also.

I hope they can try to re-launch it with the next Avatar, but hopefully no more bad post-conversions this time around. Shutter glasses were a pain, LG's passive TVs are great but they still quit making those.
Old 11-28-19, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

3D in theaters is really over-rated.

I'd rather watch 2D. The 3D effect adds absolutely nothing to my viewing experience, and I, in fact, find it distracting. I've been to a few 3D films, but now I avoid them unless I want to see something in IMAX. And even then, I'll take a 2D showing over a 3D showing.
Old 11-28-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

3D for me, which is why I keep up with this thread! Like Alan, though, we don't bother much with theatres in general any more, but when we do it's only for the 3D option of whatever overblown, all-the-money-on-the-screen franchise-style picture is currently playing. All the smaller, 2D stuff is watched at home, or occasionally at the zillion film festivals here if something looks interesting. If a 3D option exists, and the movie seems worthy of a night out, we go. Otherwise, I'll try for the 3D blu-ray from overseas when its available. The 2D option is pretty much always in the pack as a backup anyway. As for theatrical 3D "going strong", well, I've never thought of it as the primary option for most audiences since day one, but its definitely still being applied to a LOT of films (there are a few companies here in Toronto dedicated specifically to high-end conversions), and I have no doubt that it plays well in many foreign markets, which might explain why some of them still get 3D disc options denied us over here. In North America, it's a niche market that took a while to finally become a niche (not unlike how disc-based media is finally becoming a niche "collector" thing akin to the glory days of LDs).

I found it somewhat amusing when the TV, home video and even video game companies (in the early running) all jumped on the bandwagon like it was going to be the Great Disruptor in how people view content because the issues with older 3D presentations (especially in the 1950's) were finally solved. Gradually it just became another option, take it or leave it. But there must still be money in it on a global scale or they wouldn't bother doing the conversions in the first place. And honestly, the vast majority of conversions are borderline excellent at this point, so I really don't understand blanket dismissals in that regard other than for reasons of personal taste. If your local theatre doesn't project them properly, or your home screen isn't calibrated properly, then the experience will indeed suffer, but I stopped blaming the actual conversions (or the technology used to make them) years ago, gave up on expecting things to fly out into my face (except on the phenomenal 3D Film Archive restorations), and simply embraced the visual depth they add to the experience, which I personally enjoy, especially on big budget spectacle movies. Only rarely do I encounter a compromised conversion, especially on Blu-ray, and even then it's usually on some cheapo DTV foreign animated film that I probably shouldn't have bothered with in the first place.

Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree the shutter glasses were a stupid, impractical idea. I've read that they allowed for higher resolution viewing than passive glasses (or whatever that advantage was called), but they were always a pain in the ass (or eyes, due to the actual fatigue they demonstrably caused). But considering how quickly passive glasses became the norm for the theatrical 3D worldwide, I do think the competing technologies for home screens hindered the format. I've had passive LG since day one, and couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-28-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-07-19, 05:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

so i just noticed i have a 3D depth setting on my Sony TV and bluray. it goes from 2 to -2 i believe. does increasing the depth to the max make it a better 3D image when viewing 3D blus? thanks.
Old 12-07-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so i just noticed i have a 3D depth setting on my Sony TV and bluray. it goes from 2 to -2 i believe. does increasing the depth to the max make it a better 3D image when viewing 3D blus? thanks.
Doubt it. I have the same setting on my Sony 3D blu-ray player. All it does on my set up is move the crosstalk from the foreground to the background or vice-versa, or the ghosting moves from the left side of an object to the right side.
Old 12-07-19, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Doubt it. I have the same setting on my Sony 3D blu-ray player. All it does on my set up is move the crosstalk from the foreground to the background or vice-versa, or the ghosting moves from the left side of an object to the right side.
then what is the point of the settings? really not familiar with what crosstalk or ghosting is...
Old 12-07-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
then what is the point of the settings? really not familiar with what crosstalk or ghosting is...
I've also wondered what the point is. Crosstalk is when you see a faint image or "ghost" of an object right beside it on the screen. I usually see it with foreground objects, and it's really bad when they pop out. It happens when the glasses/projector/TV allows the image meant for the left eye to be visible while the image meant for the right eye is being shown and vice-versa. I've read that LCD projectors are more prone to it than other types. I'll never buy another LCD 3D projector again for this reason.
Old 12-07-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Doesn't ghosting and crosstalk etc appear more on Active 3D. With our Passive set I don't know how often I've noticed Ghosting or crosstalk.
Old 12-07-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
Doesn't ghosting and crosstalk etc appear more on Active 3D. With our Passive set I don't know how often I've noticed Ghosting or crosstalk.
  • I had a Mitsubishi 3D DLP TV before I got my projector. It used active glasses, and I never saw crosstalk on it.
Old 12-08-19, 01:48 AM

That adjustment just moves the left and right images farther apart from each other- put your player's onscreen display on to see how that works. Normally the display should appear normal without the glasses. The settings are supposedly if you don't think the 3D in a movie is strong enough, but I leave it at 0 as I just want to see it the way it was intended.
Old 12-08-19, 05:50 PM

I’ve got to say, these movies old and new that were originally shot in 3D and then reproduced for Blu-ray are just phenomenal. As mentioned, saw Parasite last night and watching Dial M for Murder now, pretty sure the actual movie will be 10x better than Parasite, but the popout and detail and depth is really incredible. Overwhelming in a good way even. It’s literally in your face and almost touchable. Have Avatar set to go next, sometime this week hopefully, and really can’t wait. These are just gems in the 3D Blu-ray department. Nothing like a post conversion. So much better.
Old 12-09-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too bad more of these authentic 3D shows, and the overwhelmingly positive reviews of them, weren't available when 3D Blu-ray was originally a "thing"! But kudos mostly to Kino (and the 3D archive) for keeping them coming. For my money, a couple of the most surprising and stable pop-outs are still on the 3D Blu of Arch Oboler's THE BUBBLE, another Kino, but honestly there's plenty of solid moments in most of these 'true' 3D releases. I'm still anxious for a release date on REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN. Not a great film by a long shot, but some killer pop-out effects if they do it right. Same for Taiwan's other 3D show from 1977, DYNASTY, but I can't recall Kino announcing that one yet.

I'm curious if there's some technical reason that post-conversions can produce virtually no pop-outs of significance. I used to think it was just big-budget filmmakers (or studios?) not wanting to lean on the kind of gimmickry that permeates and often defines these older 3D films, and simply favouring a sense of depth instead. But there have been plenty of low-budget and horror 3D shows in recent years that certainly weren't so high minded that they couldn't have taken advantage of the opportunity to thrust things out into the audience, so I have to wonder if conversions simply can't achieve it.

Last edited by Brian T; 12-09-19 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T
I'm curious if there's some technical reason that post-conversions can produce virtually no pop-outs of significance. I used to think it was just big-budget filmmakers (or studios?) not wanting to lean on the kind of gimmickry that permeates and often defines these older 3D films, and simply favouring a sense of depth instead. But there have been plenty of low-budget and horror 3D shows in recent years that certainly weren't so high minded that they couldn't have taken advantage of the opportunity to thrust things out into the audience, so I have to wonder if conversions simply can achieve it.
There's nothing inherently about post-conversions that would prohibit pop-outs, if planned for. The original 2D image would need something coming at the screen though, which isn't a normal type of shot for 2D. Otherwise they'd need to pull something forward that doesn't seem artificially extended off the screen.

This post praised the pop-out effects in Pacific Rim, which is a post conversion, but took 40 weeks longer than most.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...2#post11905042
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifi...al_photography

I think the fish mentioned in the post were probably they could pull out since they were CGI added in the first place. I remember reading/seeing something about Finding Dory where they cut down on the particulates in the water for the 3D version, becaue they were too many and too distracting in 3D.

I recall one moment in The Force Awakens near the beginning where Rey runs a rod through the pack on her ride that comes straight at the camera. I've always thought that would be a pop-out in 3D, but I haven't watched TFA in 3D yet to confirm.
Old 12-09-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
There's nothing inherently about post-conversions that would prohibit pop-outs, if planned for. The original 2D image would need something coming at the screen though, which isn't a normal type of shot for 2D. Otherwise they'd need to pull something forward that doesn't seem artificially extended off the screen.
There are quite a few pop-outs in T:2 3D which definitely were not planned for.
Old 12-09-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kino Lorber is having a December Sale that includes some 3D movies. If you order $50 or more, you get free shipping.

Cease Fire $10.99
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/c...ire-3d-blu-ray

Jivaro 3-D $11.99
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/jivaro-3-d-blu-ray

Parasite 3-D $11.99
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/p...dition-blu-ray

Sangaree 3-D $12.99
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/sangaree-blu-ray

Goodbye to Language $12.99
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/g...nguage-blu-ray

September Storm 3-D $17.48
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/s...rm-3-d-blu-ray

Gog $17.99
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/gog-3-d-blu-ray

The Bubble $17.99
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/t...ble-3d-blu-ray

Those Redheads From Seattle $17.99
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/t...dition-blu-ray

The Stewardesses 3D $19.99
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/t...desses-blu-ray

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection $20.97
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/t...ection-blu-ray

The Maze $20.97
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/t...dition-blu-ray

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (pre-order 12/17/2019) $24.47
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/l...lu-ray-blu-ray

This specific December sale can be viewed here:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view...mber-klsc-sale

You can also check their general sale page, which lists a lot more items, although many at less significant discounts.
https://www.kinolorber.com/shop/sale
Old 12-12-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone looking to buy Abominable 3D Blu-ray, due out Tuesday, in the US, DeepDiscountDVD has it for $29.99 and free shipping, which is the cheapest I've found it.
https://www.deepdiscount.com/abominable-3d/191329128527

It's a Universal MOD (Manufacture on Demand) title, so I wouldn't expect to find many copies in stores.
Old 12-12-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems like a fairly prominent release to go MOD (although your link did let me see just how many catalog titles Universal actually HAS released on MOD Blu-ray). Do they use BD-R's for these, or pressed discs like, say, Sony? Can't imagine ABOMINABLE 3D wouldn't have some value at the retail store level, especially since it has the regular Blu and a DC included.

Oh well, at least they're making it available.
Old 12-12-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I can find, Universal MOD uses pressed discs for Blu-ray, but probably limited print runs.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/64...d-bd-mods.html
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=307251

Universal seems focused on the DVD, BD, and UHD BD releases for the retail store level. The stores that do list the 3D version have it priced a lot higher than the other releases. Best Buy and Target are listing it for $43, Walmart and Amazon have it for $36. Also, it's unclear at this point if they'll have copies in store, or their listings are for online-only purchases.
Old 12-12-19, 03:44 PM

i hope MOD doesn't mean the quality of 3D isn't diminished...
Old 12-12-19, 05:12 PM

Nope, sounds like the same distribution system Warner has been using- mostly mail order only except for a few speciality stores. Their releases also don't have slipcovers, and usually just 5.1 sound instead of Atmos which is still on the 2D discs. Better than nothing I guess.
Old 12-12-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To clarify what Alan wrote, the discs themselves are pressed, so will be the same quality as any other 3D Blu-ray with a more standard retail release. The difference will most likely be cosmetic to the physical appearance of the disc: the disc label, the cover, and the likely lack of a slipcover.

The limit to 5.1 sound compared to Atmos is just speculation, but if true, it's no worse than major retail releases like, say, The Meg 3D Blu-ray.
Old 12-13-19, 10:58 PM

Anyone have the UK Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (3D)? Got a great review at Blu-ray.com. Had to get it, but wanted to hear here from anyone who has and saw. Was like $13 usd with shipping on Amazon.uk too...
Old 12-15-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw it in 3D at the theater and thought it looked terrible.
Old 12-22-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Abominable 3D review

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Abomi...256975/#Review

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.