Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 08-07-17, 09:09 AM   #876
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
So I watched it and it's kind of a mixed bag. The movie even has a warning when you start it saying that some scenes are in 2D and some in 3D, and not to remove your glasses because that's the way it was filmed. The first 25 minutes are entirely in 2D. After that it flips back and forth, but mostly in 3D. And the scenes when they are on the grid are absolutely stunning, especially when the aspect ratio changes. And then the last 8 - 10 minutes of the movie go back to 2D. So overall I would say it's worth watching in 3D, especially on a projector. Just go in knowing that some of the movie is 2D only.
The alleged intent of the movie is that the bookend scenes in the "real world" are supposed to be 2D while everything inside the Grid world should be 3D. But it's not all 3D in there, at least not very good 3D. In any given scene, the amount of 3D depth will wildly vary from shot to shot, from very pronounced in one shot to practically 2D in the next. And major action set-pieces like the Disc War and light cycle race err on the side of dialing down the 3D so that it's barely noticeable at all.

That was my experience with two different projectors, anyway. Perhaps it looks different on a flat panel.
My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Old 08-07-17, 09:57 AM   #877
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The alleged intent of the movie is that the bookend scenes in the "real world" are supposed to be 2D while everything inside the Grid world should be 3D. But it's not all 3D in there, at least not very good 3D. In any given scene, the amount of 3D depth will wildly vary from shot to shot, from very pronounced in one shot to practically 2D in the next. And major action set-pieces like the Disc War and light cycle race err on the side of dialing down the 3D so that it's barely noticeable at all.

That was my experience with two different projectors, anyway. Perhaps it looks different on a flat panel.
Maybe that's where we differ. I have a 3D TV. But you can't deny that other people in your field and on your site disagree with you to a large extent. Doesn't make either of us right.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 08-07-17, 10:01 AM   #878
DVD Talk Legend

Josh, Josh, it's time.

Personally, Tron is lower on the 3D scale for me, but it did have a few pop out moments that were great. Not reference on any level though.
Old 08-07-17, 10:50 AM   #879
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Josh, Josh, it's time.

Personally, Tron is lower on the 3D scale for me, but it did have a few pop out moments that were great. Not reference on any level though.
At least for me, I just think we are having a friendly disagreement. I mentioned earlier in the thread how much I enjoyed Zyber's opinions and articles and usually follow his recommendations. I don't like everything Shakespeare's ever written either

Old 08-07-17, 12:41 PM   #880
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Maybe that's where we differ. I have a 3D TV.
I wouldn't rule out that possibility. That's one reason I have mostly given up reviewing 3D discs. The experience can differ greatly from one display to the next.

Quote:
But you can't deny that other people in your field and on your site disagree with you to a large extent.
Plenty of people are on my side as well.
Old 08-07-17, 12:56 PM   #881
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Plenty of people are on my side as well.
In this thread in fact

That's why I made it a point to say it doesn't make either of us right. We had a different viewing experience and that's the beauty of the media. I have a friend who claims not to perceive the 3D at all, for anything, even some of the accepted premiere titles.

Either way, I will continue to enjoy and appreciate your contributions to the medium.

Old 08-07-17, 02:10 PM   #882
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Either way, I will continue to enjoy and appreciate your contributions to the medium.
Hugs it is, then.
Old 08-07-17, 04:14 PM   #883

Well, I first saw 3D on my Mit 65" DLP TV (Active 3D) and the people looked funny...like little people, unreal.

Bought a new Epson 6040UB 3K/4K PJ (Passive 3D to replace my Epson 9500, non 3D) and now 3D looks like it is supposed to. But there was still a problem, not enough pop out.

I sit 12' from my 110" 16x9 screen according to whatever seating distance forum you subscribe to.

So, last week I was wondering if I went with a larger screen (130") and if the 3D would look like its supposed to...popping out and going past your periferral vision.

So, last night I moved my chairs 1-1 1/2' closer to the screen and...WOW! No new larger screen is needed, Now the 3D shows what it's supposed to...not the post 3D shit they are offering....just the originals!!!

Also, regular BD/SD look great!!!

A very happy camper!

Sparks

HT consists of Epson 3D/4K 6040 UB PJ (ISFed); 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Samsung 3D/4K K8500 Player; Definitive Speakers(center/towers/rear); Earthquake P12 Sub; Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; MX990 remote; 5 Bello seats; Coaire Mini-split A/C.

Last edited by sparks; 08-07-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-07-17, 04:19 PM   #884
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
Well, I first saw 3D on my Mit 65" DLP TV (Active 3D) and the people looked funny...like little people, unreal.

Bought a new Epson 6040UB 3K/4K PJ (Passive 3D to replace my Epson 9500, non 3D) and now 3D looks like it is supposed to. But there was still a problem, not enough pop out.

I sit 12' from my 110" 16x9 screen according to whatever seating distance forum you subscribe to.

So, last week I was wondering if I went with a larger screen (130") and if the 3D would look like its supposed to.

So, last night I
What happened last night?
Old 08-07-17, 04:40 PM   #885
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
Now the 3D shows what it's supposed to...not the post 3D shit they are offering....just the originals!!!
Wait, what? Movies are either filmed in native or converted in post. Your projector/screen have nothing to do with it.

Old 08-07-17, 05:51 PM   #886
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Removed some posts that perhaps got too personal (in a couple of different ways). We're all friends here!
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 08-07-17, 09:18 PM   #887
Inane Thread Master

I love it. The good, the bad, it's just a fun, different from the norm medium...
Old 08-08-17, 12:46 AM   #888

Really .... ? I come back from a small mini vacation [grumbles]

Meanwhile back on subject was anyone else underwhelmed by 'Ghost in the Shell' (2017) 3D conversion?

Last edited by Giles; 08-08-17 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-08-17, 07:36 AM   #889
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Removed some posts that perhaps got too personal (in a couple of different ways). We're all friends here!
Agree. I think some of mine got misinterpreted. Sparky and I are all good. He's good people. I love his passion. I'm old and persnickety.
Old 08-08-17, 08:46 AM   #890
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Meanwhile back on subject was anyone else underwhelmed by 'Ghost in the Shell' (2017) 3D conversion?
I'm almost afraid to say this , but it looked pretty nice on my set. Not much in the way of pop-outs that I can recall, but I don't really get my expectations up for them these days anyway.
Old 08-08-17, 10:28 AM   #891
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, King Arthur is priced crazy for a new release today. $38 at Amazon and Best Buy. Doesn't look like Target or Wal-Mart is going to carry it. You would think for a movie that bombed so badly, they would have some aggressive prices to help move some copies on release week.
Old 08-08-17, 12:01 PM   #892
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Man, King Arthur is priced crazy for a new release today. $38 at Amazon and Best Buy. Doesn't look like Target or Wal-Mart is going to carry it. You would think for a movie that bombed so badly, they would have some aggressive prices to help move some copies on release week.
Well, the studios don't set the sale prices, the retailers do. If the retailers don't think a sale price is going to bring people into the store to buy it, they're not going to sell it at a significant discount.

DVD/Blu-ray used to be considered a "loss-leader" for retailers; i.e. something they sold at a loss to get people into the store and hopefully buy other things. Online retailers price-matched to appear competitive. Considering several B&M stores aren't even carrying it, it's not surprising that BB isn't interested in a heavy discount, and Amazon has no real incentive to do it solo.

This is a title that is likely to drop in MSRP rather quickly though, so it may be a lot cheaper in only a few months. Possibly not the 3D version though, since that's now considered a niche market.
Old 08-08-17, 12:59 PM   #893
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Considering how some of the recent 3D titles have been limited (Ghost in the Shell, Rogue One, Marvel, Disney, etc) you have to wonder if this thing will already be limited with the going rate.
Old 08-08-17, 07:51 PM   #894
DVD Talk Reviewer

I ordered it for $29 from Bullmoose. Could've gotten a steelbook from Korea for a few bucks more but didn't want it that much. Of course they'll point to how poorly this title sells and say "See? Nobody wants 3D!"

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 08-08-17, 09:48 PM   #895
Inane Thread Master

i wasn't too impressed by GitS either. only saw a few minutes, but neither the 3D or the movie kept my interest, but i will get back to it...
Old 08-09-17, 08:16 AM   #896
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For anyone still looking for Ghost in the Shell 3D, you can still order it from Deep Discount for $25. Currently in stock.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/ghost-in...d/032429271945

Target also has it back up for $30. It does say limited stock though.

https://www.target.com/p/ghost-in-th...08#lnk=sametab
Old 08-13-17, 11:37 AM   #897
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched Inferno from 1953---fantastic! Not just gimmicky popouts---the great 3D desert effects really added to the story. I went 3D more for the old 50's films than the current ones, and this one totally lived up to my expectations.
Old 08-14-17, 09:07 AM   #898
Inane Thread Master

War for the Planet of the Apes (3D) is $22.99 @ Amazon if anyone interested...
Old 08-14-17, 01:42 PM   #899
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon currently has a couple of the 3D Marvel movies on sale, which is very uncommon. So far Ant-Man and Civil War have dropped to $19.99.
Old 08-14-17, 01:52 PM   #900
DVD Talk Legend

Guess I missed out on GOTG from Best Buy. May have to stop in on opening next week.