Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
War for the Planet of the Apes (3D) is $22.99 @ Amazon if anyone interested...
Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Amazon currently has a couple of the 3D Marvel movies on sale, which is very uncommon. So far Ant-Man and Civil War have dropped to $19.99.
Both are pm's of Best Buy prices.
Old 08-14-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Guess I missed out on GOTG from Best Buy. May have to stop in on opening next week.
Try placing a store pickup order the night before or the morning of release. That usually works.
Old 08-14-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I will try that if I remember. Thanks OWJ.
Old 08-14-17, 03:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Both are pm's of Best Buy prices.
Stlll, great prices for 3D, especially a new release...
Old 08-14-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Have all the big upcoming releases pre-ordered now from Target and Amazon, since they've been getting harder to find in stores. King Arthur sold out at least at Best Buy despite the high price, so that's a good sign provided they actually got a decent number of copies in to begin with.
Old 08-14-17, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Have all the big upcoming releases pre-ordered now from Target and Amazon, since they've been getting harder to find in stores. King Arthur sold out at least at Best Buy despite the high price, so that's a good sign provided they actually got a decent number of copies in to begin with.
somehow doubt they had many copies of it at all...
Old 08-18-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

Tweeted by Kino today:

3 intros to CEASE FIRE! with Gen. Mark W. Clark, will be on the upcoming KLSC 3-D Blu-ray. First time this footage has been seen since 1954!
https://mobile.twitter.com/KLStudioC...1613254656?t=1

Not sure if they're 3D as well, but it would certainly be cool.
Old 08-20-17, 10:50 AM

i hope Wonder Woman has a good presentation...
Old 08-20-17, 11:19 AM

so will there be a 3D SteelBook™ for Spider-Man: Homecoming at BB? no listing. is it too soon or they are just going with 4K?
Old 08-21-17, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched Prometheus 3D over the weekend and it was stunning. Easily one of the best 3D presentations I've seen yet. I almost didn't open it after I saw how much the 3D Target exclusives were going for (especially since it was still sealed), but overall it was worth keeping.
Old 08-21-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so will there be a 3D SteelBook™ for Spider-Man: Homecoming at BB? no listing. is it too soon or they are just going with 4K?
It appears to be UHD/Blu-ray/Digital only. Sony has been scaling back its 3D releases in North America this year.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/spider-...?skuId=5916905
Old 08-21-17, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
It appears to be UHD/Blu-ray/Digital only. Sony has been scaling back its 3D releases in North America this year.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/spider-...?skuId=5916905
oh well. no biggie. thanks Josh.

hope GotG vol. 2 comes out great...
Old 08-22-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

GOTG Vol. 2 up for shipping on BB's page

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/guardia...uctCategoryId=

I ended up going for instore pickup.
Old 08-24-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting, reasonably positive piece by the founder of RealD in Variety today:

http://variety.com/2017/voices/colum...es-1202535879/
Old 08-24-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Interesting, reasonably positive piece by the founder of RealD in Variety today
I think that's an overly optimistic view of someone who has a stake in the success of 3D. And the main movie examples he cites are more the exception these days, rather than the rule, I think.
Old 08-24-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The writing is on the wall that the day of 3D releases are numbered. All you need to do is look at what the studios are doing in store.

1. In the past month or so Best Buy had a Fox 3D sale followed currently by a WB 3D sale. Actually, they have had WB 3D titles on sale earlier this summer as well. Clearing out inventory most likely.

2. Some titles that were BO losers have been held to purchasing online only to see what the demand looks like. (GitS, King Arthur)

3. Other titles are being pushed out at Best Buy in the limited steelbook combos which is pretty desirable if you want both formats like myself. (4K/3D/BD) From their perspective if/when they decide to yank 3D releases for good a large chunk of that diehard 3D customer base already has their foot in the door of 4K.

I think over the next year we will see Best Buy remove 3D items complete from the stores, and then begin downsizing the amount of catalog Blu-ray titles as many are released again in 4K. Lionsgate, for example, has already said they are focusing on rereleasing around 100 catalog titles.
Old 08-24-17, 09:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They've always been numbered, but we will never see them completely disappear in this day and age of online shopping, combined with the fact that so much of the rest of the world still embraces and sells 3D.
Old 08-25-17, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

I still don't understand the need to remove 3D capability off of TVs. It can't cost that much nowadays to include it, does it?

I need a new TV and want to get one that is 3D capable but I guess I am going to have to buy a used or older TV, correct? Are there any being made this year that still contain 3D capability?
Old 08-25-17, 08:38 AM
Banned by request

No 2017 models, but there are some 2016 ones like LG that have it. That is, if they can be found, which according to some other sites, is still available.
Old 08-25-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is LG the OLED one? Do you have the 65 inch? If so, do you mind sharing the model number and your thoughts?

We have been thinking about replacing our bedroom TV, so we might move our living room TV in there and buy a replacement for that one.
Old 08-25-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBang
I think that's an overly optimistic view of someone who has a stake in the success of 3D. And the main movie examples he cites are more the exception these days, rather than the rule, I think.
The writer does indeed have a vested interest, at least theatrically speaking, but 3D has been the exception since day one. It's always been a niche, an alternative, the smaller (though not insubstantial) percentage of the box office take for just about any film for which it's offered. It's a much longer-lasting niche this time around than it ever was in the 1950's or 1980's, but it's still a niche. Home video companies and TV makers over-estimated it's appeal to home viewers in the first place, and tried to sell it like it was the next revolution in home entertainment, that we'd all be having "3D parties" in our homes, much like they're doing with giant-box-on-your-head Virtual Reality. Nevertheless, it found its audience, and we've been loyal. If American Blu-ray distributors gradually phase it out completely -- which I still think is a ways off -- we know where to find our fix.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
1. In the past month or so Best Buy had a Fox 3D sale followed currently by a WB 3D sale. Actually, they have had WB 3D titles on sale earlier this summer as well. Clearing out inventory most likely.
Or, occasionally making them available at a price point that most 3D aficionados believe is fair, rather than the usual amount they gouge us for them. Although I do agree that releases are becoming more scarce, 3D sales aren't really new at Best Buy. They're just not heavily promoted from what I've seen, which is understandable.

Irregardless, the article I linked is more geared toward the theatrical experience which, as some comments underneath it attest, is most frequently compromised only by theater management not turning up the brightness. Beyond that, 3D still appears to be an option on many upcoming theatrical releases well into the future, especially blockbuster/franchise and animated shows. Works for me.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I think over the next year we will see Best Buy remove 3D items complete from the stores, and then begin downsizing the amount of catalog Blu-ray titles as many are released again in 4K. Lionsgate, for example, has already said they are focusing on rereleasing around 100 catalog titles.
I can't even imagine 50 Lionsgate titles truly worthy of upgrading to 4K, let alone 100. But I can imagine they've gotta milk every penny out of movies they've already released on every other format known to man. Wish more people would use the money spent on arguably unnecessary upgrades to simply explore more unseen corners of cinema on plain old Blu-ray, or even DVD.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I still don't understand the need to remove 3D capability off of TVs. It can't cost that much nowadays to include it, does it?
A friend mentioned he saw an electronics store in one of our many Chinese mega-malls here selling seemingly new TVs with 3D capability. He's not into it, but he thought of me when he saw the sets, so he mentioned it. Haven't had time to look around these places myself lately, but I'm assuming if he wasn't imagining things, the sets might be Chinese models intended for sale in that market or others overseas but imported for sale here because they know there's still a market for them? I don't need one yet, and hopefully won't for a long time, but something like that might prompt me to buy one and store it.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-25-17 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 12:39 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Is LG the OLED one? Do you have the 65 inch? If so, do you mind sharing the model number and your thoughts?

We have been thinking about replacing our bedroom TV, so we might move our living room TV in there and buy a replacement for that one.
I don't have the OLED, but I have a friend that does. It's the OLED65C6P. Please note that the base model is the OLED65B6P, but it does not have the 3D. It's incredibly nice and I did like how the 3D performed on it. It is passive 3D, so no need for the rechargeable active shutter glasses. Oh, and same rules with the 55" model numbers.

One big gripe he has about it, is that it has that automatic eco setting, or whatever it is, where the brightness will go up and down depending on content.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c6-oled
Old 08-25-17, 09:24 PM

Anyone watch Guardians 2 in 3D yet? wondering how that is. might pop in tomorrow night...
Old 08-26-17, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Guardi...183564/#Review
Old 08-26-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't know if anyone cares or not, but the 4-disc Ultimate Edition (with the 3D disc) of Pixar's Inside Out is available as a reward at Disney Movie Rewards. It's going for 2000 points, or 1600 points + shipping and handling ($3.30 for me; your mileage may vary).

If this is old news, I apologize...but I just noticed it and thought that I'd share.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.