Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-24, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 668 Likes on 464 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Hamilton Book has price cut a few of their 3D Blu-rays:
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/blu-ray...Start%2BSearch

Also, a few that aren't listed as a 3D Blu-ray.

DOCTOR WHO: The Day of the Doctor - $4.95
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/doctor-...doctor-blu-ray

LEDA - $12.95
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/leda-blu-ray
Old 09-17-24, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
The Japanese editions always release later than the regular U.S. editions, and none are on Amazon Japan yet, so I remain optimistic.
There are no more Disney Animation or Pixar films being released on Blu-ray 3D. The last one was Onward in 2020. 6 Pixar films and 4 Disney films released since then all had 3D versions created and shown theatrically, but no home video release anywhere in the world.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (09-17-24)
Old 09-25-24, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 771 Likes on 565 Posts

Next project announced by 3D Film Archive via Kickstarter, a new scan of Arch Oboler’s THE BUBBLE, apparently 21 minutes longer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-d-restoration

Be the first to own this brand new 3-D Blu-ray Special Edition of Arch Oboler's classic 1966 science-fiction movie, THE BUBBLE!
  • NEW 4K scan of the original 35mm Space-Vision camera negative.
  • NEW 24-bit audio scan of the 35mm master optical track negative.
  • NEW shot by shot color grading.
  • NEW digital clean-up of dirt and damage.
  • Twenty-one minutes of deleted footage not seen anywhere in fifty-five years.
From Arch Oboler historian, Matt Rovner:

"In its 112 minute version, The Bubble (1966) reveals Arch Oboler’s original conception for this provocative science-fiction koan about the many forms of authoritarianism. Although it still proceeds at a languid pace, it is vastly superior to the mangled 93 minute cut. The sound and picture are markedly improved. The restored scenes enhance the character development and plot, and they augment the uncanny atmosphere. For example, one of the reinstated events depicts The Bubble’s citizens/captives sleepwalking into a mysterious dormitory. This eerie nighttime episode is arguably the most poetic, melancholy, and arresting vision in all of Oboler’s films. It prefigures similar images in George A. Romero’s Night of the Living Dead (1968)."

The Bonus Features will include:
  • Thirty minute audio discussion with Matt Rovner and his special guest, 3-D expert Mike Ballew.
  • Never before seen 3-D test footage from Colonel Robert Bernier and Arch Oboler, spanning 1951 - 1972.
  • Classic Arch Oboler LIGHT'S OUT radio show from 1943.
  • Original cover artwork by Stewart McKissick.
  • 3-D menu by Charles Barnard.
  • Original 1966 theatrical trailer and 1976 reissue TV spots.
For an additional $25.00 on your pledge, an exclusive add-on option will be an original 35mm collectible film frame of the iconic beer tray sequence. This scene is considered one of the finest off-screen moments in the history of stereoscopic cinema and this unique one-of-a-kind collectible will be available only through this Kickstarter campaign.

There will be a minimum of a thirty day window for backers to enjoy this disc before the official Kino Lorber Studio Classics release in the summer of 2025.

The SRP upon release next summer will be $29.95. The discounted price for this special pre-order is $20.00, plus shipping.

We regret that shipping on this campaign must be restricted to the USA only. However, independent package forwarding services are available online for international shipping.

The 3-D Blu-ray is region free and will eventually be offered online through Kino Lorber Studio Classics and various retailers.

No special equipment will be required to view this release in 3-D. This restoration will be presented in both BD3D (for those with the necessary equipment) and Compatible anaglyphic 3-D which will play on any system or monitor. One pair of red/cyan anaglyphic glasses will be included in the package.

If you do not wish to view the film in 3-D, there will also be a standard flat version on the disc.

The feature will have closed captioning.

This will be a pressed disc manufactured by a major Blu-ray replicator.
Old 09-25-24, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,485 Likes on 913 Posts

The Bubble's 3D is excellent, but I can't imagine sitting through 21 more minutes of that movie.
Josh Z (09-25-24)
Old 09-25-24, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
The Bubble's 3D is excellent, but I can't imagine sitting through 21 more minutes of that movie.
Indeed. The existing Blu-ray of this movie is already a great 3D showcase (even if the footage in general looks a little worn). Although it's obvious the... :ahem:... "story" has huge gaps where footage is missing, this isn't the type of thing you want to be any longer than it already is.
Old 09-26-24, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 895 Likes on 406 Posts

Not available to ship to USA yet, but we have a pulse...

Deadpool & Wolverine 4K UHD + 3D + Blu-ray Set [Blu-ray]
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Deadpool-an.../dp/B0DGTSNK27

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 09-28-24 at 06:30 PM.
Alan Smithee (09-27-24)
Old 09-27-24, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice. I mainly saw this in a theater in 3D because I was concerned Marvel might drop the 3D Blu-Ray format starting with this title. Happy to be wrong!
Old 09-27-24, 07:30 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Not available to ship to USA yet, but we have a pulse...

Deadpool & Wolverine 4K UHD + 3D + Blu-ray Set [Blu-ray]
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Deadpool-an.../dp/B0DGTSNK27
why is it unpurchasable? is Zavvi going to be selling this? or some other place? thanks.
Old 09-27-24, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
why is it unpurchasable? is Zavvi going to be selling this? or some other place? thanks.
Amazon Japan doesn't always ship certain items to the US. It's become common for new releases.

YesAsia and Rakuten have it available for sale. YesAsia is going to be the easiest for ordering to the US.
https://www.yesasia.com/us/deadpool-...0-en/info.html
https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/18014096/

Edit: Fixed. Thanks to Brian T

Last edited by Jay G.; 09-27-24 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-27-24, 11:04 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

And, ordered. Thanks Jay!!
Old 09-27-24, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Amazon Japan doesn't always ship certain items to Japan. It's become common for new releases.
To Japan? Or to North America? I saw that ‘doesn’t ship to your region’ flag when I clicked the link after ‘IDrinkMolson’ first posted it, but today, I can order the item just fine. I’ll still wait a bit and see what Amazon’s current overpricing settles down to before buying. Last time (THE MARVELS) it was a wash between Amazon Japan and YesAsia, so I went with Amazon and used some of their points (which doesn’t seem to be a thing on the other global Amazon sites, at least not for me). I’ve found it’s sometimes just a matter of waiting a little while after Amazon Japan puts up brand new listings.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Also, a quick followup on the new version of THE BUBBLE. Apparently the Kino 3D Blu of the shorter cut is OOP, so you might want to hold on to it if the thought of an even longer, potentially slower movie doesn’t appeal. The longer version – which is how the film screened in the 60’s before being cut down for rerelease the 70’s – will apparently be the only version available going forward, as per the FAQ on the Kickstarter:

The 2014 release was our second restoration and done on a shoestring microscopic budget. We had no money for digital clean-up of dirt and damage; the 2K picture scan was adequate for its time but far from optimum; the shot to shot color grading was terribly inconsistent and the audio track was pulled from an old analogue master dating back to the 1990s.

This brand new 4K restoration is vastly superior in every way.

Plus, the original Kino Lorber release is now out of print and as the worldwide copyright holder of this motion picture, we want to honor the legacy of those who created it and keep the movie available to view and in print.
Old 09-27-24, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To Japan? Or to North America?
Oops, I meant specifically the US. I've edited my post.

I saw that ‘doesn’t ship to your region’ flag when I clicked the link after ‘IDrinkMolson’ first posted it, but today, I can order the item just fine.
For the one currently priced at ¥14,800 ($103.98 USD), I can click "More Buying Options" and click on the pre-order, for a US address. It's quite a bit pricier than YesAsia right now though, although as you note the Amazon Japan pricing may drop.

Also, a quick followup on the new version of THE BUBBLE. Apparently the Kino 3D Blu of the shorter cut is OOP, so you might want to hold on to it if the thought of an even longer, potentially slower movie doesn’t appeal. The longer version – which is how the film screened in the 60’s before being cut down for rerelease the 70’s – will apparently be the only version available going forward, as per the FAQ on the Kickstarter:
They don't say the 91 minute cut will never be available again, but it's not on this disc because "we do not want to compromise bit rate on the disc with a second copy of the film." It's a shame that seamless branching is a apparently a lost art, as it shouldn't take too much space to branch to a shorter edit, depending on the number of cuts and the type of transitions. Although, sometimes the longer cut of a film can feel better paced, since it could include more plot development and character moments over the apparent aimless wandering in the shorter version. we'll have to see

There may also be some differences in bonus features between the two releases.
Old 09-27-24, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I interpreted their reminder that they’re now the “worldwide copyright holder” of the film to suggest that they’ll only be making the longer version available from now on because technically that’s the film Oboler actually made.

I’m not sure if he was behind the shorter one or some distributor of the day streamlined it, but there’s always a chance the cuts made it more tolerable, despite it still being a real slog in places. I’d have been happy if they put both versions on the disc, branched like you say (and cleaned up the shorter one while they were at it), or put both discs in the package, but I guess they pull the strings now. I suppose they could just be licensors from Oboler’s estate or something and the rights could pass to another company to bring the shorter one back onto the market some day, but I’d imagine the economics of doing that potentially years down the road would make it pointless. I’m sure this version will sell ok, and the Kickstarter is already heading toward doubling what they asked for, but as most 3D buffs already have the shorter version, I’m not sure there’d be much of an audience left for a reissue of that down the road.

On a related note, there are a handful of old 3D movies that seem like they were designed more for the audience to ‘bask in the glory’ of their 3D imagery rather than tell an exciting story. THE BUBBLE definitely feels like that. THE STEWARDESSES, too. I watched Kino’s Blu-ray of BWANA DEVIL a couple of weeks ago, and it likewise moves at a glacial pace, presumably to let audiences of the day take in the supposed splendor of it all. I’ve been so spoiled by modern 3D over the last 20 years (real and conversions), and even many of the vintage shows that got it right, that these ‘early’ demonstrations of their respective technologies are kind of a strain.

Incidentally, here’s the BUBBLE extras listed on Kickstarter so far:
  • Thirty minute audio discussion with Matt Rovner and his special guest, 3-D expert Mike Ballew.
  • Never before seen 3-D test footage from Colonel Robert Bernier and Arch Oboler, spanning 1951 - 1972.
  • Classic Arch Oboler LIGHT'S OUT radio show from 1943.
  • Original cover artwork by Stewart McKissick.
  • 3-D menu by Charles Barnard.
  • Original 1966 theatrical trailer and 1976 reissue TV spots.

And below are the extras on the existing Blu-ray. Some of these probably don’t need to be ported over, like the alternate opening (which is probably on the longer version now), the restoration demo is irrelevant now, and the screenplay excerpts which would be redundant. So really only the stills gallery, Furmanek essay, and ‘76 trailer appear not to be making the jump.
  • Alternate Opening (1080p; 00:31) is available in 2D and 3D versions, and presents the film's 1976 re-release title opening.
  • Restoration Demonstration (1080p; 1:42) is similarly available in both 2D and 3D formats and shows before and after examples of the restoration process.
  • Essay by Bob Furmanek is accessible via your Blu-ray drive, offering some insight into both the film and the 3D restoration.
  • Screenplay Excerpts of Deleted Scenes details the missing sequences that Oboler cut from the film in 1968.
  • Stills Gallery (1080p)
  • 1966 Original Theatrical Trailer (1080p; 1:41)
  • 1976 Reissue Trailer (1080p; 1:12)

It seems unlikely they’ll be adding extra unrelated 3D goodies this time, like they’ve done on some of their other discs. Usually they hint at that stuff early on, and so far the only add-on is a film frame from the beer tray sequence.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-27-24 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-28-24, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 199 Posts

I’m not sure if he was behind the shorter one or some distributor of the day streamlined it,
I was under the impression that Oboler himself cut the movie for its re-release. Until recently, it was believed that he also destroyed the footage he removed. I guess some long-lost source must have come to light.
Old 09-30-24, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kino Lorber Fall Sale (Ends October 21) has some 3D titles on sale.

Bwana Devil - $11.99
https://kinolorber.com/product/bwana-devil-3-d

Treasure of the Four Crowns - $11.99
https://kinolorber.com/product/treas...dition-blu-ray

The Mask - $9.99
https://kinolorber.com/product/the-mask-3d-blu-ray

Revenge of the Shogun Women - $9.99
https://kinolorber.com/product/reven...an-3-d-blu-ray

September Storm - $9.99
https://kinolorber.com/product/septe...rm-3-d-blu-ray

The Diamond Wizard - $9.99
https://kinolorber.com/product/the-d...rd-3-d-blu-ray

The Man Who Wasn't There - $9.99
https://kinolorber.com/product/the-m...sn-t-there-3-d

Rest of the sale:
https://kinolorber.com/collection/fall-sale-2024
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
Alan Smithee (09-30-24), Trevor (09-30-24)
Old 10-03-24, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 156 Likes on 123 Posts

Next project announced by 3D Film Archive via Kickstarter, a new scan of Arch Oboler’s THE BUBBLE, apparently 21 minutes longer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-d-restoration

It's now live.
Brian T (10-03-24)
Old 10-04-24, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by b2net
It's now live.
And fully funded! So far they've raised about double what they were asking for.

$20 for the Blu-ray via the Kickstater, which typically arrives before the disc is available for sale at retailers. MSRP is going to be $30 when it hits retail. It's being released by Kino Lorber.
Old 10-04-24, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 156 Likes on 123 Posts

$20 for the Blu-ray via the Kickstater, which typically arrives before the disc is available for sale at retailers. MSRP is going to be $30 when it hits retail. It's being released by Kino Lorber.
$20 + shipping, which for me was close to $30 total. Yet missed out on the original release. I hope they don't put out some branching version or set with both later that I would have preferred to buy instead.

Last edited by b2net; 10-04-24 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-04-24, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As I mentioned upthread, I was kinda glad they didn’t treat this like their other Kickstarters (all of which have brought in multiples of the original ask, sometimes four or five times as much), with little bonus goodies being added as the tally mounted. Sometimes the ‘one size’ option is a relief. The Kino version, however, will definitely be much lower than $20 in their sales down the road. All the Kino 3D titles have been in them at some point, including the current/recent sale, for $10 or less, so while the buy-in for this Kickstarter is a bargain compared to previous 3D Archive offerings, it’s mainly a show of support for their efforts.

They sent out a request for address confirmations recently for their edition of Oboler’s DONO ARIGATO, so presumably that one will be shipping soon. That was a 100% blind buy for me because I never knew it existed. I worry a bit that it might be as dull as THE BUBBLE (hopefully not) – especially without the genre trappings – but seeing early 1970’s Japan in true 3D is a rare thing.