Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

Just revisited Ultraviolet to register Chuck season 5, The Lorax, and The Artist. I need to do The Hunger Games also but I'll wait for another day since The Lorax takes an hour to download.

I still don't like this service. I should be able to go to the ultraviolet site and activate my titles there like I can do on itunes, but instead I have to go through Flixter or each studio's site. I'm already registered with Warner and Paramount, but I had to sign up for Universal (even though I'm pretty sure I have a Universal account) and Sony, and I'm sure I'll have to do the same for Lionsgate. I can see why the studios would be excited to have everyone setting up accounts, but it's a pain for the consumer.

Thumbs up to Universal for offering the traditional digital copy along with the UV. It's much longer to download straight from itunes than it is from a separate disc but that's OK. Note: I redeemed the DC code directly on itunes, then the Uni UV site gave me the opportunity to check another service at the same time as the UV. I tried Amazon just for the heck of it, but I was rejected saying the code was already used. Fair enough, and the UV did still work.
Old 08-22-12, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely hate Ultraviolet. There is absolutely nothing about that's convenient for the consumer at all.

I have become very selective on the movies I buy because of it. If it's an unsure buy for me, I will guarantee I will not buy it if it has Ultraviolet. I would actually rather they not put a digital copy on there at all. I've gotten to a point where I'm so frustrated by Ultraviolet that seeing Ultraviolet on the box actually makes me not want to buy the product.

iTunes on the other hand is easy, quick, and the digital copy is mine (and I don't even have to store it on one of my devices now thanks to iTunes Match).

I don't think the movie studios have any idea how badly they've messed things up with Ultraviolet.
Old 08-22-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Just revisited Ultraviolet to register Chuck season 5, The Lorax, and The Artist. I need to do The Hunger Games also but I'll wait for another day since The Lorax takes an hour to download.

I still don't like this service. I should be able to go to the ultraviolet site and activate my titles there like I can do on itunes, but instead I have to go through Flixter or each studio's site. I'm already registered with Warner and Paramount, but I had to sign up for Universal (even though I'm pretty sure I have a Universal account) and Sony, and I'm sure I'll have to do the same for Lionsgate. I can see why the studios would be excited to have everyone setting up accounts, but it's a pain for the consumer.

Thumbs up to Universal for offering the traditional digital copy along with the UV. It's much longer to download straight from itunes than it is from a separate disc but that's OK. Note: I redeemed the DC code directly on itunes, then the Uni UV site gave me the opportunity to check another service at the same time as the UV. I tried Amazon just for the heck of it, but I was rejected saying the code was already used. Fair enough, and the UV did still work.
When you redeem a Universal uv digital copy, choose flixster as the vendor. You won't have to register with Uni if you do that.
Old 08-22-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've hated UV since they first started it and still hate it. I do appreciate Universal for offering a choice, especially with their 100th Anniversary BDs. My latest gripe is that individual studio sites are not compatible with each other so I can't access all of my movies through just one website like Flixster.
The Dictator is the latest UV title that I can only watch/stream off of Paramount's site, but thankfully they're also on the additional iTunes copy bandwagon. UV just isn't user friendly or convenient for me.

I'm hoping that I don't someday get issues like I have with the Xbox Zune service. I bought several movies on Xbox over the years that now get "This movie is not currently available for streaming at this time." and every month that I check I get the same message. WTF? I bought those movies! This is my biggest fear if someday studios decide to go to all digital content.
Old 08-22-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

If you have an iPad there is a paramount app for their streaming.

Anyway I rented the dictator yesterday from a box that isn't red and it was the banned and unrated version so that was one bonus the other is the rental box also included the UV paper with the code in the case so I was able to get that onto my iTunes and my UV account without needing to buy the movie.
Old 08-22-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Roybq
I'm hoping that I don't someday get issues like I have with the Xbox Zune service. I bought several movies on Xbox over the years that now get "This movie is not currently available for streaming at this time." and every month that I check I get the same message. WTF? I bought those movies! This is my biggest fear if someday studios decide to go to all digital content.
That really sucks, and I've had the same concerns about digital content. I know movies go in and out of cable-broadcast windows, though, so they might come back for you.
Old 08-23-12, 04:19 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I signed up for UV for the Jaws digital copy with my Jaws Bluray/DVD. What a headache. It used to be it was just iTunes. Bingo-bango. But this? Jesus. The terms of service was even bigger than iTunes! What the fuck am I doing--signing for a mortgage here? I couldn't help but think of this image:

I think it's crazy people preferring risking signing their life away to own a digital copy of a movie they could buy on physical media without any real legal ramifications.

Physical media= (relative) Autonomy
Old 08-23-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
I signed up for UV for the Jaws digital copy with my Jaws Bluray/DVD. What a headache. It used to be it was just iTunes. Bingo-bango.
Why would you sign up for UV since Jaws came with an iTunes DC -- in hi-def! Bingo-bango.
Old 08-23-12, 10:49 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bookcase3
Why would you sign up for UV since Jaws came with an iTunes DC -- in hi-def! Bingo-bango.
I thought I *had* to. Don't tell me I didn't! Fuck!
Old 08-24-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can still do the iTunes Jaws download too. It's no longer pick one or the other, you can do both with Universal titles and the same code. I have both, but I'm probably more likely to watch it on my iPad.
Old 08-25-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just redeemed The Hunger Games. It also let me get an itunes copy but I had to set up a Vudu account for the UV registration. Even better, it took me 15 minutes and two password resets to figure out what UV considered my "member name" in order to link Vudu and UV. I know it's just a byproduct of the digital age that we need to remember user names and passwords, but their site was completely useless as far as telling me what my member name is. For that I blame UV.
Old 10-24-12, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm. I just started doing this w/ VUDU. I only have VUDU really for tomorrow. UniSol 4 comes out. And anyway...I started signing up and whatever. Interesting. Really ez stuff. Got some free credit and whatnot. So Yay me. I get to see UniSol4 for free tomorrow.

ANYWAY...Jaws and E.T. are the only BDs I have that have the UV thing. I probably won't ever use it for those films ever but...I am planning on getting a laptop soon. Sooooo this could come in handy. Especially since they let me have Punch Drunk Love as a title on there. Jaws and ET are mine on there too. While I was at it I put them on my Amazon IV as well. This could be pretty convenient at some point for me.
Old 12-01-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an email from CinemaNow stating you can now link that account with UV. So I linked my accounts last night. Just read on blu-ray.com that a member did the same, and discovered he had The Dark Knight Rises available to stream or download in his CinemaNow library. I just checked my library:

[/URL]
Old 12-01-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished watching "The Dark Knight Rises" on CinemaNow. Still hate UV, but that was a nice surprise today. I do appreciate that UV branching out so I can get more use out of my Xbox now.
Old 03-30-13, 08:44 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

If anyone has UV codes they don't want, please post them over in the "Digital Copies: Buy/Sell/Trade" thread. There are a lot of people (like me) that'll buy them. You can usually get $2-$4 each.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchang...ell-trade.html
Old 04-01-13, 08:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I've been redeeming my UV codes for the past couple months. I agree with others who have said you should just be able to redeem it on the UV site and be done. I don't hate UV, though. It seems to work just fine for me. Actually, I'd like a standardized UV-like distribution system that every single Blu-ray distributor would get behind. I'd prefer that over the inclusion of a DVD copy. Similar to Vinyl releases that include MP3 download codes (and not a CD), that has more value to me than an extra DVD in the case.
Old 04-01-13, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by namja
Anyone doing the Vudu's Disc to Digital program?
http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html
It's Ultraviolet compatible. Thinking about trying it with about 10 Blu-rays.
I've converted about 2 dozen movies so far. The first time, I went to Wal-Mart and they had no idea what to do. It took about 20 minutes. And they screwed it up. I called Vudu customer service when I got home, and they were very helpful. Everything got fixed quickly.

Second time I went to Wal-Mart, I got someone that knew what they were doing. Only took 3-4 minutes and everything came out perfectly.

After that, I found out that Vudu has "In Home Disc To Digital". That works great. Just run the software, put the disc in my drive, select HD or SD, and it's a 2-click checkout. The whole thing takes less than a minute. So fast and simple.

Overall, I'm happy with the service. I love converting my old non-anamorphic DVDs to HDX. I just wish there were more titles available. Especially the Disney library.
Old 04-01-13, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I've been redeeming my UV codes for the past couple months. I agree with others who have said you should just be able to redeem it on the UV site and be done. I don't hate UV, though. It seems to work just fine for me. Actually, I'd like a standardized UV-like distribution system that every single Blu-ray distributor would get behind. I'd prefer that over the inclusion of a DVD copy. Similar to Vinyl releases that include MP3 download codes (and not a CD), that has more value to me than an extra DVD in the case.
Sounds like a good idea. I'd prefer that over an actual DC disc.
Old 04-01-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

I have yet to successfully get any UltraViolet copies to work on my phone with Flixter. The titles I've redeemed will show up in the "My Movies" library, but when I try to play them, I 100% of the time get: "Unable to play movie, please try again. We have logged this error and are working to resolve the problem."
Old 04-01-13, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I have yet to successfully get any UltraViolet copies to work on my phone with Flixter.
Have you tried using a Vudu or CinemaNow app?
Old 04-01-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Have you tried using a Vudu or CinemaNow app?
The UV codes I've redeemed only offer the choice of VUDU or Flixter, and the VUDU app isn't compatible with my Android phone.
Old 04-01-13, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The UV codes I've redeemed only offer the choice of VUDU or Flixter, and the VUDU app isn't compatible with my Android phone.
CinemaNow should be compatible with Android phones. I've redeemed all my UV codes through Vudu and Flixster. And my whole UV library shows up on CinemaNow. Just tested it on my iPad.

http://www.cinemanow.com/android
Old 04-01-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Sounds like a good idea. I'd prefer that over an actual DC disc.
I like UV over the itunes copy that requires a disc I have to put into the computer.
Old 04-01-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been redeeming the UV codes (about 9 movies so far) through Flixster. I had some issues syncing accounts but their support cleared it up in a couple days for me.

The only thing I dislike about UV is what appears to be a bunch of different services and webpages to activate codes on. I don't really understand why it isn't just a single page/account system.

Still, I like it far better then iTunes codes since I hate iTunes and never want to install that program.
Old 04-01-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about 40 UV titles and I use Vudu to redeem. But a word to the wise do not redeem "Killing Them Softly" Blu ray code through Vudu. It will come out in SD. Use the link on the insert and it will give you the option to go through Vudu or Flixster. Use Flixster

If you already redeemed a Blu ray code that redeemed in SD. Call Vudu and they will require you to take a picture of the UV code and BD box and they will upgrade it to HDX

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.