Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Old 04-25-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

When compared to the original MSRP of the dvds, yes, the blue rays were a "good deal". When compared to every other season of tv released on blue ray, not so much. The dvds could be had for significantly less than $30 each over the course of their run, in fact the averages listed at camel are right about $20. The simple fact that numerous people have stated, in this thread, that they were priced too high, makes be believe that they were priced to high for people to buy. Compound that with the fact that the producers are telling us that they didn't sell well, also leads me to believe that they were priced too high.
Old 04-25-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They were priced too high and they are coming as streaming is taking over physical media.

We had the DVD set and were planning on buying the Blurays, but then we started getting multiple streaming services and we knew that one of the other reasons for them to remaster these was their syndication legacy, we never re-bought them on Bluray.

It's really short sighted of CBS to not consider the syndication legacy of VOY and DS9 when making this kind of decision.
Old 04-26-16, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
When compared to the original MSRP of the dvds, yes, the blue rays were a "good deal". When compared to every other season of tv released on blue ray, not so much. The dvds could be had for significantly less than $30 each over the course of their run, in fact the averages listed at camel are right about $20. The simple fact that numerous people have stated, in this thread, that they were priced too high, makes be believe that they were priced to high for people to buy. Compound that with the fact that the producers are telling us that they didn't sell well, also leads me to believe that they were priced too high.
Exactly. You can't compare BD prices to DVD prices, especially the old DVD prices.

Now people are used to seeing a TV season on DVD or BD or around 10 bucks (or less) and complete series sets (with multiple seasons) for usually 50 bucks or less depending on how many seasons on both BD and DVD.

Price kept me away from TNG. I was interested but I am not a ST fanatic. Hell, it hurt my feeling to finally dig deep and buy the complete original series for $110 on BD years ago (which was an excellent deal at the time). Now those run around 60 bucks or less for the 3 seasons together.
Old 04-26-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But even up until recently the DVD sets for The Next Generation were still fairly high. I'm fairly certain I remember looking shortly before the Blu-ray releases and even at that point they were still around $50 a piece for most of them. Hell right now at around $30 a piece for most of them they're still expensive for as long as they've been out. I know that people are used to paying less now but really if you go back up to a few years ago most Blu-ray sets (including seasons) weren't cheap.
Old 04-26-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Except they really havent been that expensive. Again, the average price listed at Camel for the last three years for those dvds is right around $20.
Are you saying that since the dvds were overpriced, the blue rays should be as well?
Old 04-26-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe in the last three years since the Blu-rays were released the prices for the DVDs went down but like I said before the Blu-rays were released I looked and they were higher. I'm not saying they weren't expensive at all just relatively compared to what was previously available they weren't a bad deal.
Old 06-20-16, 10:40 AM

Question from a newbie to the ST:TNG blus: back when they first came out, I bought all the ST:TNG regular DVD releases (talk about pricey), and bought Seasons 4-7 from Best Buy to get their exclusive bonus discs. I've just bought the new Blu-ray Complete Series release, and I'm wondering if I can get rid of the earlier sets along with the bonus discs. Is everything on the Blus? And is there any reason to hang on to the old DVDs? Thanks!
Old 06-20-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Escapist View Post
Question from a newbie to the ST:TNG blus: back when they first came out, I bought all the ST:TNG regular DVD releases (talk about pricey), and bought Seasons 4-7 from Best Buy to get their exclusive bonus discs. I've just bought the new Blu-ray Complete Series release, and I'm wondering if I can get rid of the earlier sets along with the bonus discs. Is everything on the Blus? And is there any reason to hang on to the old DVDs? Thanks!
I can't speak to that end. I have the "green" TNG Complete Series DVD set with the exclusive bonus disc to it. I haven't seen any of the contents of that disc on any of the Blus to my knowledge.

*Also* are the contents of those Best Buy DVD bonus discs part (or *ALL*) of the Complete Series DVD set bonus disc?
Old 06-20-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This might shed some light:
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/T..._Series_Boxset
Old 06-20-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Escapist View Post
Seasons 4-7 from Best Buy to get their exclusive bonus discs. I've just bought the new Blu-ray Complete Series release, and I'm wondering if I can get rid of the earlier sets along with the bonus discs. Is everything on the Blus? And is there any reason to hang on to the old DVDs? Thanks!
All video features, including those on the Best Buy bonus discs, are on those TNG Blu-Ray discs season by season. The same is true for the each of the TOS seasons.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 06-20-16 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-20-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
All video features, including those on the Best Buy bonus discs, are on those TNG Blu-Ray discs season by season. The same is true for the each of the TOS seasons.
How about the exclusive special features on the standalone "movie" blu-ray discs for the two-parters? Did those extras, or those discs, make in into the complete box set?
Old 06-21-16, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
How about the exclusive special features on the standalone "movie" blu-ray discs for the two-parters? Did those extras, or those discs, make in into the complete box set?
Nope. The BD complete series sets are the same discs with different packaging. Having seen unboxing videos of both complete sets I think I'll be searching for the individual season packages of each series if I ever do upgrade to BD for these. Just too thick and clunky with too many of those swinign arms that tend to break over time.

I already have all those 2-part BD sets along with the first TNG The Next Level sampler disc. Those extras are awesome and the sets can be found at decent prices. Not sure how much longer they will be in print.
Old 06-22-16, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reading through just a few of the posts on this thread, it sounds like you guys need to get multi-region players and import from Australia.

The TNG DVDs costed $220 a pop when they came out here, which was rediculous.

But the TNG Blu-rays costed on average around $38.

Combine that with 20% off sales, I paid $30 a season.

Convert that to your American dollars... $22 a season.
Old 06-24-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Well...they don't have the exclusive material from the TNG DVD box set bonus disc...at least as far as I've seen.
Old 06-26-16, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post
Reading through just a few of the posts on this thread, it sounds like you guys need to get multi-region players and import from Australia.

The TNG DVDs costed $220 a pop when they came out here, which was rediculous.

But the TNG Blu-rays costed on average around $38.

Combine that with 20% off sales, I paid $30 a season.

Convert that to your American dollars... $22 a season.
20% off time again - so complete 41 Blu-ray remastered/reconstructed Star Trek: The Next Generation $205.60, which is $29 per season, or converted to your US dollars $21 per season. Region B.
Old 06-26-16, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn that's expensive. I'm glad I got the entire series for $84.99 a couple of weeks ago. Best Buy had it for $99.99 and I used a RZ coupon.
Old 10-31-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old thread bump. I ended up getting the individual TNG season sets on Blu-ray quite cheaply. They were opened, but everything was in like new condition.

The set for Season One is supposed to have the replacement discs for the audio issue. Anybody know how to check the discs themselves to tell if they are actually the replacement discs? Do the discs have different numbering around the hubs?
Old 10-31-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Itís got something to do with the code around the ring on the silver side of the disc. I dug out my set to see if I could tell if the replacement discs had some easy to spot marking, but I donít see anything on them. I was able to find online that the impacted discs are 1, 3, and 4.
Old 11-01-18, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The replacement discs have a Starfleet delta on them that the original defective pressings didn’t.

The disc on the right is a replacement disc; note the Starfleet insignia next to “Disc One” on the label.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/TNG_Season_1_Blu-ray

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 11-01-18 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Canít believe I didnít notice that.
Old 11-01-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IIRC, the season 1 set with the correct discs had a yellow upc bar code. The uncorrected version had the plain white upc bar code.
Old 11-01-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The replacement discs have a Starfleet delta on them that the original defective pressings didnít.

The disc on the right is a replacement disc; note the Starfleet insignia next to ďDisc OneĒ on the label.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/TNG_Season_1_Blu-ray
Exacty what I needed. Are far more simple than I was expecting. Given the yellow barcode set had been opened I just wanted to make sure the discs had not been swapped out.