HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Old 06-07-17, 10:11 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,267
Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

While we’re talking 4K UHD today, we’ve also now begun to hear from international retail sources that Warner Bros. will be releasing Ridley Scott’s original Blade Runner on 4K Ultra HD later this year, as we’ve been saying for several month now, probably at the same time Blade Runner: 2049 arrives on BD and 4K. As you know, 2017 marks the film’s 35th anniversary. In addition to these reports, Amazon France has now listed the title as coming soon on the format with no street date given. Sources suggest that the release is expected to include at least Blade Runner: The Final Cut (see our review here) in 4K UHD format, with all 3 legacy audio commentary tracks (one with director Ridley Scott, one with Hampton Fancher, David Peoples, Michael Deeley, and Katherine Haber, and one with Syd Mead, Lawrence G. Paul, David L. Snyder, and Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich, and David Dryer) as well as Charles de Lauzirika’s outstanding Dangerous Days: The Making of Blade Runner 214-minute documentary, presented for the first time in full HD on regular Blu-ray. (We would certainly expect a regular Blu-ray “refresh” of the title for the anniversary as well, for those aren’t 4K consumers.)

International retail sources are also confirming the planned 4K UHD release of Warner’s Wonder Woman this year, along with Blade Runner: 2049, Dunkirk, and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. Universal’s The Mummy (2017), Van Helsing (2004), and Dracula Untold (2014), Fox’s Alien: Covenant and Prometheus, and Sony’s The Bridge on the River Kwai and Bram Stoker’s Dracula are also expected on the format this year, among other titles.

Do keep in mind that all of the above comes from retail and industry sources, all well-placed but some speaking off the record. None of it is official and none of it is to be considered official until the studios in question actually make their respective title announcements. It’s important to note that, for those of you who many not be familiar with the way the home video industry works.
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B072MHTSV4/..._ochozb8R8JW9X

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/060717-1230

I was looking for a Blu-ray copy to buy, but if this is happening, then never mind.
EinCB is offline  
Old 06-07-17, 10:35 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hell, but currently heading North
Posts: 12,007
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Keep in mind the UHD will probably be the Final Cut only. All of the other cuts won't get upgraded. So hold onto your 5 disc sets of you still have them. I'll upgrade to finally get Dangerous Days in 1080p.

Last edited by E Unit; 06-07-17 at 11:10 PM.
E Unit is offline  
Old 06-07-17, 11:05 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
gerrythedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Inglewood, Ca.
Posts: 6,621
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

And that's all I care about; FINAL CUT and Dangerous Days.
gerrythedon is offline  
Old 06-07-17, 11:46 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,736
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Blade Runner is the benchmark Blu Ray for how great a movie can look in HD. I have zero interest in a 4K UHD release. The Blu Ray is perfect in my eyes.
Hazel Motes is offline  
Old 06-08-17, 08:37 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Blade Runner is the benchmark Blu Ray for how great a movie can look in HD. I have zero interest in a 4K UHD release. The Blu Ray is perfect in my eyes.


"Give me the absolute pinnacle of 1080p!

... but NOT A PIXEL MORE!!!"
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 06-08-17, 09:16 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,695
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Bladerunner was the first 'classic' to really showcase Blu-ray so this seems fitting. The one thing missing from UBD right now is older films so I'm looking forward to this.
DthRdrX is offline  
Old 06-08-17, 10:23 AM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 915
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Blade Runner is the benchmark Blu Ray for how great a movie can look in HD. I have zero interest in a 4K UHD release. The Blu Ray is perfect in my eyes.
Yeah, I'll have to pop in my Blu-ray copy and revisit it soon. I am one of the fortunate few who saw "Blade Runner" a number of times way back in 1982. It played exclusively at one of the country's last surviving grand theatres, the Cine Capri, an old style movie house in Phoenix Arizona. I spent many a weekend standing in line at the Cine Capri waiting to experience the great films of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Alas, that landmark theatre was shamelessly torn down and is but a memory. I've since watched "Blade Runner" so many times over the years that I've lost count. And I really can't imagine it looking much better on home video. Many 4K enthusiasts will say "when you do a side by side comparison..." But who does that other than the most anal retentive among us? Could we ever reach a flawless presentation that would satisfy all the video and audiophiles' technological peccadillos? I seriously doubt it. Hell, many of them aren't even old enough to have experienced the film in an actual theatre. And that is something so intangible that not even the best set-up will ever be able to duplicate. At a certain point something is lost in the translation and something "cold" results. It's the reason so many prefer listening to analog music on an ancient technology like a turntable rather than digitally. It's the reason many of the best filmmakers shun video in preference to film. Right now, I happen to share your belief that "Blade Runner" looks about as good as it gets for home viewing. But that won't stop some folks from proselytizing otherwise.

They need you to join the flock in order to satisfy their insatiable desire for a benefit that is negligible to most.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-08-17 at 11:03 AM.
AaronSch is offline  
Old 06-09-17, 02:51 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,736
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post


"Give me the absolute pinnacle of 1080p!

... but NOT A PIXEL MORE!!!"
It gets to a point with some old movies that any subsequent improvement beyond 1080p is really just splitting hairs in my opinion. Blade Runner looks magnificient on blu ray. I don't know how it could look any better. The whole Blade Runner Set is perfect actually. I don't see how I could be enticed to upgrade.
Hazel Motes is offline  
Old 06-09-17, 02:59 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,736
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by AaronSch View Post
Yeah, I'll have to pop in my Blu-ray copy and revisit it soon. I am one of the fortunate few who saw "Blade Runner" a number of times way back in 1982. It played exclusively at one of the country's last surviving grand theatres, the Cine Capri, an old style movie house in Phoenix Arizona. I spent many a weekend standing in line at the Cine Capri waiting to experience the great films of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Alas, that landmark theatre was shamelessly torn down and is but a memory. I've since watched "Blade Runner" so many times over the years that I've lost count. And I really can't imagine it looking much better on home video. Many 4K enthusiasts will say "when you do a side by side comparison..." But who does that other than the most anal retentive among us? Could we ever reach a flawless presentation that would satisfy all the video and audiophiles' technological peccadillos? I seriously doubt it. Hell, many of them aren't even old enough to have experienced the film in an actual theatre. And that is something so intangible that not even the best set-up will ever be able to duplicate. At a certain point something is lost in the translation and something "cold" results. It's the reason so many prefer listening to analog music on an ancient technology like a turntable rather than digitally. It's the reason many of the best filmmakers shun video in preference to film. Right now, I happen to share your belief that "Blade Runner" looks about as good as it gets for home viewing. But that won't stop some folks from proselytizing otherwise.

They need you to join the flock in order to satisfy their insatiable desire for a benefit that is negligible to most.
agree 100%.

It would have been cool to see Blade Runner's original theatrical run in 1982, but alas I spent most of that year in my Mother's belly. However I've seen it 3 times in a theater since then, and will probably see it again.

Unless UHD 4K offers a major improvement over any blu ray disc I have, I won't upgrade. I'll still buy 4K UHD for new films though. I'm just done doing the upgrade thing for a large portion of my collection.
Hazel Motes is offline  
Old 06-09-17, 08:06 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hell, but currently heading North
Posts: 12,007
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Blade Runner looks magnificient on blu ray. I don't know how it could look any better.
Watching it on UHD would probably help. That's just silly no older movie wouldn't benefit from a 4K upgrade, even movies out already on blu. For me, it does need to have a substantial improvement, but also upgraded sound does make a big difference for me. And if the Blade Runner UHD has HDR and Atmos it's given great reviews, it seems silly people would pass that up.

Keep in mind this is WB and Goodfellas had a shitty transfer, so there's that.
E Unit is offline  
Old 06-09-17, 09:10 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Watching it on UHD would probably help.
Quite. I can see how it would be difficult to imagine improvement


... until you actually see it.
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 06-09-17, 01:17 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 7,302
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

What's funny is that there are plenty of people who also say that an old movie won't look all that good on Blu-ray!

I'm sure I'll upgrade this one at some point. While I know the final cut would be the one I revisit the most, I do wish there was a mega set that included all the cuts. I'll just have to hang on to the Blu-ray.
clckworang is offline  
Old 06-09-17, 05:37 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,267
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post

Keep in mind this is WB and Goodfellas had a shitty transfer, so there's that.
Are you talking about the 4K version? What's wrong with it?
EinCB is offline  
Old 06-09-17, 08:56 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hell, but currently heading North
Posts: 12,007
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

It has a shitty transfer. Check out one of many reviews.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/GoodFe...161258/#Review
E Unit is offline  
Old 06-26-17, 04:13 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,267
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

4K version of the Final Cut coming on September 5 to the U.S.:


EinCB is offline  
Old 06-26-17, 07:11 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
davidlynchfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,866
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

I'll upgrade to UHDs when they can be had for $5.
davidlynchfan is offline  
Old 06-26-17, 11:52 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,260
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

the Blu-ray.com forum is going nuts because they think this will be a glorified scanned at 2k upconvert. Wasn't the Final cut in 2007 scanned at 4K?
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 02:56 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 5,200
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
the Blu-ray.com forum is going nuts because they think this will be a glorified scanned at 2k upconvert. Wasn't the Final cut in 2007 scanned at 4K?
It was scanned at 4K and some of the 65mm visual effects were scanned at 8K. The documentary Dangerous Days was shot in HD, but released only on DVD. I hope this gets upgraded.
zekeburger1979 is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 08:51 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
I'll upgrade to UHDs when they can be had for $5.
Noted in my binder. Thanks for the update!
Doctorossi is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 09:40 AM
  #20  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,470
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

while I'll advocate for the original sound mix, it's great that Warner's went with Dolby Atmos and not DTS-X.
Giles is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 10:40 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28,742
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 View Post
It was scanned at 4K and some of the 65mm visual effects were scanned at 8K. The documentary Dangerous Days was shot in HD, but released only on DVD. I hope this gets upgraded.


What do you mean? I thought that doc was always a Blu-ray or HD-DVD when released.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 11:00 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,063
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
What do you mean? I thought that doc was always a Blu-ray or HD-DVD when released.
The original Blade Runner 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition (the one in the plastic briefcase) contained 3 Blu-rays for the multiple cuts of the film and 2 DVDs for the bonus features.

Later reissues consolidated the bonus features onto the Blu-ray discs, still encoded at standard definition.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 01:38 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 9,128
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 View Post
It was scanned at 4K and some of the 65mm visual effects were scanned at 8K.
I will wait for 8K release before I upgrade then.
Jaymole is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 01:57 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28,742
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The original Blade Runner 5-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition (the one in the plastic briefcase) contained 3 Blu-rays for the multiple cuts of the film and 2 DVDs for the bonus features.

Later reissues consolidated the bonus features onto the Blu-ray discs, still encoded at standard definition.


Ah, gotcha.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 04:59 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,774
re: Blade Runner in 4K UHD - 9/5/17

The 4K Blu-ray disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut will feature a Dolby Atmos soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead.
mattysemo247 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.