Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts
Re: Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
You could at least get the fourth season of Enterprise. You know, "the good one."

Be sort of funny if season four outsold the other three combined.
Just my opinion but Enterprise is way underrated by most Trek fans if you ask me. Personally I'd easily choose watching it over both Deep Space Nine and especially Voyager. I think it had a somewhat rocky start but grew into a decent series and if it had been allowed more seasons could have gotten even better. Let's not forget that it took a couple of seasons for The Next Generation to find its footings too.
Old 09-12-14, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't tell Paramount but I'd pay full price for DS9, and I'd buy Voyager as a thank you.
Old 09-12-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also believe Enterprise is undrerrated. I'll take any of it over the bulk of the first two seasons of TNG and most of Voyager.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-12-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
DS9 and Voyager were never as popular as TNG. Neither got movies and neither are shown a lot in reruns, TNG got four movies and its currently being run into the ground played continuously on BBCA.

Also note that DS9 sort of have an antagonistic relationship among the fanbase where, for a lot of fans it's either one or the other. So both series will not only sell fewer copies than TNG, but they would sort of cannibalize each other.

And, while DS9 has a decent cult fanbase, it's treated like the proverbial red-headed stepchild by the Trek powers-that-be.
You'd be surprised at how popular DS9 is now--it's been 20 years and so many people have discovered it on DVD and streaming. This is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth, but people at cons go nuts for DS9. Word also is that DS9 streaming has been huge on Netflix.

As for the Trek powers-that-be... they're all gone. CBS Home Video is basically all that's left, and they WANT to do DS9 on Blu-ray.
Old 09-12-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I am aware of these effects. But was that secifically the case for the majority of DS9 epsisodes?
I don't have specifics on that show, but it wouldn't surprise me. If a character stands in front of a window with a star field in the background, that was a green-screen shot. Many of the computer panels were green-screened in as well.

A couple of years ago, a VFX firm put a demo reel on YouTube that showed how surprisingly much green-screen work was done on shows you'd never expect, like Law & Order or Ugly Betty.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-12-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

I'd actually buy DS9 before TNG if it was available.
Old 09-12-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I don't have specifics on that show, but it wouldn't surprise me. If a character stands in a room with a star field in the background, that was a green-screen shot. Many of the computer panels were green-screened in as well.
And I believe there was far more of those window and panels shots in the other ST franchises. I get they exist, but going on memory, I just don't think DS9 had as many as the others. What it did have was shots of Odo transforming, and later on, a lot of effects shots involving the Defiant ship. I don't even remember them showing the outside of the station as often as the other series showed the ships flying from here to there. The one exception I can think of was ships going through the worm hole, but even that wasn't in every episode.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-12-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have specifics on that show, but it wouldn't surprise me. If a character stands in a room with a star field in the background, that was a green-screen shot. Many of the computer panels were green-screened in as well.

A couple of years ago, a VFX firm put a demo reel on YouTube that showed how surprisingly much green-screen work was done on shows you'd never expect, like Law & Order or Ugly Betty.
DS9 is 20 years old. All that green screen stuff is relatively new.
Old 09-12-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
You'd be surprised at how popular DS9 is now--it's been 20 years and so many people have discovered it on DVD and streaming. This is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth, but people at cons go nuts for DS9. Word also is that DS9 streaming has been huge on Netflix.

As for the Trek powers-that-be... they're all gone. CBS Home Video is basically all that's left, and they WANT to do DS9 on Blu-ray.
I know Deep Space Nine has its fans, but I've always thought of it more as having a cult following like someone else mentioned. It seems like when it initially aired it wasn't very popular but after it went into syndication and DVD is when more fans cropped up. I guess I always thought it was somewhat boring myself and I didn't really care for many of the characters except when O'Brien and Worf were added but they were more TNG guys that seemed to be added to get some more fans to watch. The best stuff on the series was The Dominion War but it seemed like that didn't really pick up until later in the show's run.
Old 09-12-14, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm wondering how anyone could think DS9 didn't have a lot of effects.

The last three years in particular were almost nothing but effects shots of huge fleet battles.
Old 09-12-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You'd be surprised at how popular DS9 is now--it's been 20 years and so many people have discovered it on DVD and streaming. This is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth, but people at cons go nuts for DS9. Word also is that DS9 streaming has been huge on Netflix. As for the Trek powers-that-be... they're all gone. CBS Home Video is basically all that's left, and they WANT to do DS9 on Blu-ray.
There's a subset of Trekkies who're DS9 fans called "Niners," apparently. Wish B5 would have streaming popular resurgence too, but so it goes
Old 09-12-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I know Deep Space Nine has its fans, but I've always thought of it more as having a cult following like someone else mentioned. It seems like when it initially aired it wasn't very popular but after it went into syndication and DVD is when more fans cropped up. I guess I always thought it was somewhat boring myself and I didn't really care for many of the characters except when O'Brien and Worf were added but they were more TNG guys that seemed to be added to get some more fans to watch. The best stuff on the series was The Dominion War but it seemed like that didn't really pick up until later in the show's run.
O'Brien was basically there form the start.

Personally I think the show being more serialized was way ahead of it's time. Probably would do much better now.
Old 09-12-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

O'Brien was basically there [from] the start.
From the first episode of DS9. While I was watching the Season 6 BDs of TNG, I noticed that Miles just sort of vanishes mid season due to him starting up on DS9.
Old 09-12-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was mistaken then I guess. I thought he joined around the third season or so.
Old 09-12-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts

DS9 is 20 years old. All that green screen stuff is relatively new.
It was common on sci-fi shows like this by the time of DS9's later seasons. I've seen BTS footage of Babylon 5 made around the same time and there are green-screens everywhere.
Old 09-12-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was common on sci-fi shows like this by the time of DS9's later seasons. I've seen BTS footage of Babylon 5 made around the same time and there are green-screens everywhere.
B5 pretty much pioneered that sort of thing, and it was borne out of necessity because they had fairly minimal standing sets. The technique was simply not used on DS9 to any great degree.
Old 09-12-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also believe Enterprise is undrerrated. I'll take any of it over the bulk of the first two seasons of TNG and most of Voyager.
It's still finding its feet, but the second season of TNG, which I revisited recently, is actually pretty good.
Old 09-12-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first two seasons or so of TNG are the weakest but even at its worst it overall still was a good series.
Old 09-12-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
From the first episode of DS9. While I was watching the Season 6 BDs of TNG, I noticed that Miles just sort of vanishes mid season due to him starting up on DS9.
It was on DS9, not TNG, but I think there was an episode that covers his decision to leave the Enterprise in favor of DS9? The DS9 pilot?
Old 09-12-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

B5 pretty much pioneered that sort of thing, and it was borne out of necessity because they had fairly minimal standing sets. The technique was simply not used on DS9 to any great degree.
Seems like I have watched special features that covered the filming of many episodes and it looked like it was almost all based around practical sets of the station.
Old 09-12-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
It's still finding its feet, but the second season of TNG, which I revisited recently, is actually pretty good.
For me, there are some good to great episodes in S1 and S2. But also too too many really bad ones. The Child, The Dauphin, and Manhunt just to name a few.
Old 09-13-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season one was pretty bad for the most part, though it improved as it went along. "Arsenal of Freedom" is pretty solid, and there are some above average episodes like "Conspiracy," "The Neutral Zone," "Symbiosis," "Skin of Evil," and "Heart of Glory," which are all OK. Season two has a few weak spots, but shows a marked improvement. "The Measure of a Man" and "Q Who are among the series' very best, "The Emissary" is pretty damn good, and there are other good ones. "Peak Performance" is underrated, "Where Silence Has Lease" is alright, and "Elementary Dear Data" is pretty good. But it's once they got to season three and brought on Piller, Moore, and the rest that the show really soared.
Old 09-14-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Season one was pretty bad for the most part, though it improved as it went along. "Arsenal of Freedom" is pretty solid, and there are some above average episodes like "Conspiracy," "The Neutral Zone," "Symbiosis," "Skin of Evil," and "Heart of Glory," which are all OK. Season two has a few weak spots, but shows a marked improvement. "The Measure of a Man" and "Q Who are among the series' very best, "The Emissary" is pretty damn good, and there are other good ones. "Peak Performance" is underrated, "Where Silence Has Lease" is alright, and "Elementary Dear Data" is pretty good. But it's once they got to season three and brought on Piller, Moore, and the rest that the show really soared.
"Skin of Evil" is an abomination.

Really S1 isn't worth watching unless you're a huge Trekkie. Season 2 gets lumped in with season 1 but it's much better.
Old 09-14-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, that tar monster episode was terrible. Not only was the voice acting over the top ridiculous, it took out the only eye candy the crew had.

I do enjoy the other two Q episodes in S1. But the bulk of S1/S2 rarely ever make any top episode lists for anybody. I think that says a lot given it's 2/7 of the series.
Old 09-14-14, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,067 Likes on 880 Posts

O'Brien was basically there form the start.

Personally I think the show being more serialized was way ahead of it's time. Probably would do much better now.
Yeah, I think the serialization plays better for binge-watching than weekly drop-in watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.