Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What can we expect for a Harry Potter Complete collection?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I'm sure there are many of us that have held off on buying the Harry Potter movies until the complete set was available so what can we expect for The Harry Potter Complete Collection? Extended editions? Suitcase packaging?

Perhaps I've missed it but has there been any word what WB plans on doing?
Old 07-17-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: What can we expect for a Harry Potter Complete collection?

DVDAficionado lists box sets for films 1-3, then 1-4, then 1-5, then 1-6, and most recently, 1-7pt1, I don't think you have to wait very long for them to make a complete box of some sort. It would be foolish to expect otherwise.
Old 07-17-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still slightly too soon. Before long though, I'm sure they'll announce something. I see two possible outcomes here:

They released a minimal boxed set including all the films up to Deathly Hallows Part 1 not too long ago... and they may release another bare-bones-ish type release in a similar fashion. Once all eight films are given the mega editions like the ones that have been released over the course of time, then there might be an ULTRA boxed set to cash in once again, as it would contain ALL the bonus features, and perhaps some new ones.

By the time Deathly Hallows Part 2 comes to Blu-ray, it's possible they'll get caught up with the mega edition Blu-ray sets for each individual film, and then release a mega boxed set day-and-date.
Old 07-17-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
DVDAficionado lists box sets for films 1-3, then 1-4, then 1-5, then 1-6, and most recently, 1-7pt1, I don't think you have to wait very long for them to make a complete box of some sort. It would be foolish to expect otherwise.
Oh, I have no doubt that one will be released as soon as 7 part 2 is available. I've been holding off because I'm expecting the complete collection. Though with Costco selling each Blu-ray for $10 it's becoming harder and harder to hold off.

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
It's still slightly too soon. Before long though, I'm sure they'll announce something. I see two possible outcomes here:

They released a minimal boxed set including all the films up to Deathly Hallows Part 1 not too long ago... and they may release another bare-bones-ish type release in a similar fashion. Once all eight films are given the mega editions like the ones that have been released over the course of time, then there might be an ULTRA boxed set to cash in once again, as it would contain ALL the bonus features, and perhaps some new ones.

By the time Deathly Hallows Part 2 comes to Blu-ray, it's possible they'll get caught up with the mega edition Blu-ray sets for each individual film, and then release a mega boxed set day-and-date.
Those "Ultimate Editions" are mighty tempting but they're a tad pricey for me and I'd prefer my supplements to be in video form. I don't necessarily want books and lobby cards and such. Maybe they'll eventually drop to a more reasonable price.
Old 07-17-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want a box that doesn't consume much shelf space

Inside the box could be slim Blu cases, foldout trays with nice artwork, or a magical book format like the Alien Anthology had.

It had better come out for the Holidays 2011.
Old 07-17-11, 08:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm expecting something along this line...

Old 07-17-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The standard set containing Sorcerer's Stone to Deathly Hallows: Part 2 will, of course, be released on DVD and Blu-ray when Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is released on DVD and Blu-ray.

Then the Ultimate Editions of Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 and 2 will be released on DVD and Blu-ray, probably around spring 2012. Unless-- might they put them out at the same time as the initial release of Part 2? Hm. Would be a bit odd, but given the timing of Phoenix and Prince after Azkaban and Goblet (eight months), I can almost see that.

After that, things get interesting. Are we going to get a complete set of all eight films with the documentary content from the Ultimate Editions? Or, are we going to be treated to something entirely new? If it's little more than a repackaging, I won't bother. But, if they pull out all the stops and produce a set like the Alien Anthology, I will absolutely dip again. Happily.

--THX
Old 07-17-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I fully expect this to be the case.

I haven't purchased any of the movies on Blu-ray yet, but a basic set would be enough for me.
Old 07-18-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies

This I would buy as a complete set.
Old 07-18-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies

That thing is pretty badass...Ginormous, but badass. I remember seeing pics of it a year or two ago. I wonder if they planned ahead and made room for all the discs or if it only holds years 1 and 2?
Old 07-18-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get completely ripped off a few times before a "Harry Potter PhD Electric Boogaloo, Complete Harder, Boomstick, Quidditch Cup Edition" is released on Blu.
Old 07-18-11, 01:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That thing is pretty badass...Ginormous, but badass. I remember seeing pics of it a year or two ago. I wonder if they planned ahead and made room for all the discs or if it only holds years 1 and 2?
Per Amazon France, it looks to hold movies 1 through 6. But I'm guessing the drawer is big enough to hold both parts of 7 as well.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B002...pf_rd_i=405320
Old 07-18-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

My guess:

1-8 barebones set Dec 2011
7a-7b Ultimate Editions May 2012
1-8 Ultimate set Dec 2012
Old 07-18-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Yeah, a repackaging of the ultimate sets will most likely be it for awhile. Really, is there anything else that's left? Maybe in 10+ yrs a looking back documentary and a few more goodies would warrant a new release. As a casual fan of the series, the regular releases are good enough for me.
Old 07-18-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm holding off on getting the movies on Blu-Ray until a box set with all of the contents from the Ultimate Editions are released.
Old 07-18-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I will own them all on Blu-Ray but I am holding off on those Ultimate Editions because I'm just waiting for the huge box set which will most likely have exclusive bonus features that the studio loves to throw in to fuck over their loyal paying customers.

Plus I would need an entire shelf to display them all. Sure it'll be cool to display them plus all the books, but I simply don't have the space anymore after collecting DVDs since 1998.
Old 07-18-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I'm holding off on getting the movies on Blu-Ray until a box set with all of the contents from the Ultimate Editions are released.
Same here. I have the first 5 movies on HD-DVD, and I'm not getting a single one on Blu until all the UE's are released in a set.
Old 07-19-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just recently returned all my HP DVDs since I knew I'd never watch them again. I've been holding off on all of them since part 5, waiting for an ultimate box set. I'm not a huge series fan, meaning I don't need a metric ton of bonus features, but I'd like a set with the theatrical/extended cuts of all films (where applicable).
Old 07-19-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

At this point I'm happy with all the separate releases. I'd like to see them release the 8-part documentary on its own - I'd pay up to $30 just for that.
Old 07-19-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
This was my plan as well. The last HP DVD I bought was Order of the Phoenix.
Old 07-19-11, 04:11 PM
Banned

I'd love to see commentaries with the 3 main kids as well as JK Rowling.
Old 07-19-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll pick up the UK box set of the complete collection.
I would like the real title of the first movie. "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone." Not Sorcerer's Stone.
Old 07-20-11, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Now that the books and films are finished, I would love to see a special feature where they discuss what kind of info was given to the actors in advance of the books, and what advice J.K. Rowling gave to Steven Kloves to include (aside from Dobby) or exclude, stuff like that.
Old 07-20-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
I'll pick up the UK box set of the complete collection.
I would like the real title of the first movie. "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone." Not Sorcerer's Stone.
The Canadian editions are also the "Philosopher's Stone," FYI.
Old 07-20-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The Canadian editions are also the "Philosopher's Stone," FYI.
I actually found a Canadian DVD of Philosopher's stone at TJMaxx a little while back. They're not too hard to come by.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.