Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sound of Music, November 2nd

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Sound of Music, November 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Sound of Music, November 2nd

Just grabbed this with some RZ credit. Stunning picture for a movie this old. Kudo's for the "Music Machine" feature. This should be on all musical and music discs where you can access just the musical numbers.
Old 01-03-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^I finally got a chance to watch The Sound of Music BD and was very pleased with the restoration. My Five Star DVD had poor PQ and this release is a gigantic improvement.

I enjoyed the brief extra feature on the restoration that showed screen wipes of the old versus new master.

I wasn't aware that SOM was third in overall ticket sales after Gone With the Wind and Star Wars, although it doesn't surprise me. It was a huge hit in 1965, when I first saw it, and has had numerous revival showings since.
Old 01-03-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lizard
^I finally got a chance to watch The Sound of Music BD and was very pleased with the restoration. My Five Star DVD had poor PQ and this release is a gigantic improvement.

I enjoyed the brief extra feature on the restoration that showed screen wipes of the old versus new master.

I wasn't aware that SOM was third in overall ticket sales after Gone With the Wind and Star Wars, although it doesn't surprise me. It was a huge hit in 1965, when I first saw it, and has had numerous revival showings since.
I held off on the upgrade but got it with some RZ dollars and am glad I did. It is a huge improvement over the old 5 star which was pretty poor. The Music Machine feature should be standard on all musicals. It automatically jumps to the next musical number.

With so many members of this board in the under 30 crowd, it's always nice to hear from other members that saw these movies when they were released in the 60's. I was 6 years old and had a huge crush on Charmaine Carr watching that movie. Little did I know she wasn't 16 but closer to mid 20's and was pretty close to my parents age. Yech
Old 01-04-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Yes, Charmaine Carr was born in 1942, so she would have been a bit old for you (or me, for that matter)! I don't really think she looks 16 in the movie but it's not something I notice much.
Old 01-04-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
^Yes, Charmaine Carr was born in 1942, so she would have been a bit old for you (or me, for that matter)! I don't really think she looks 16 in the movie but it's not something I notice much.
Well, to be fair, she was "going on 17."
Old 01-23-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked this up the other day and must say the picture quality is amazing. Wow, it's reference quality for a catalog title!
Old 01-23-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
Picked this up the other day and must say the picture quality is amazing. Wow, it's reference quality for a catalog title!
Try the Music Machine feature. For someone who doesn't get excited over special features, that has to be the coolest feature I've seen. You can set it to jump from musical number to musical number. If you jump a chapter it goes to the next song, not the next chapter. I almost didn't buy this but I'm glad I did.
Old 04-06-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was on the fence with this one for awhile, but finally picked up a lonely Digibook copy at Target last week for $24.99. It was a little more than I'd normally pay, but I'm a sucker for sweet packaging (and, AFAIK, this version is getting much tougher to find these days).

Beautiful picture quality and tons of extras...especially nice that it appears to include all of the notable bonus content from the past two releases.
Old 04-06-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Was on the fence with this one for awhile, but finally picked up a lonely Digibook copy at Target last week for $24.99. It was a little more than I'd normally pay, but I'm a sucker for sweet packaging (and, AFAIK, this version is getting much tougher to find these days).

Beautiful picture quality and tons of extras...especially nice that it appears to include all of the notable bonus content from the past two releases.
One of my favorites