Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sound of Music, November 2nd

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Sound of Music, November 2nd

Old 11-02-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Sound of Music, November 2nd

So this movie and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" really have coupons inside them for $3 off each of these two movies, plus others? Thinking about buying both, and then going back in with the coupons and getting the $6 back if so.
Old 11-02-10, 01:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Dove coupon is inside and good for Sound of Music, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Marmaduke, and Tooth Fairy.
Old 11-02-10, 01:28 PM

And one needs not purchase anything else? It's just good for $3 off? Nice. My master plan is to buy both of these with Target's $5 discount ($34.98 + tax) - the $2 and $5 coupons.com coupons ($27.98) and then go back in the store with these two $3 coupons afterwards ($21.98 + tax total). Hopefully it works.
Old 11-02-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I walked out with The Sound of Music from Target for $14.99.

$19.99 - $3 off coupon inside packaging - $2 off coupon from coupons.com = $14.99.

Yes, it required an additional trip to customer service; but meh, it only took up a minute of my time.

If one went that route in addition to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, you could score both for $30 out the door.
Old 11-02-10, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
And one needs not purchase anything else? It's just good for $3 off? Nice. My master plan is to buy both of these with Target's $5 discount ($34.98 + tax) - the $2 and $5 coupons.com coupons ($27.98) and then go back in the store with these two $3 coupons afterwards ($21.98 + tax total). Hopefully it works.
Thanks for mentioning the coupons.com coupons. I was gonna order this from Amazon since they lowered their price to match and buy Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with it to get $10 off when you buy both. I'd rather have the blue case, but with $13 off from coupons and $5 off from buying them together, the digibook will be fine to save $7.50 more than Amazon..

Last edited by darkhawk; 11-02-10 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-02-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The digibook leaves a little bit to be desired when it comes to holding three discs, but it's not a deal breaker, as the packaging is beautiful. I actually pre-ordered and received this as well from Amazon, so I think I'll give that version to somebody for Christmas.
Old 11-02-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I walked out with The Sound of Music from Target for $14.99.

$19.99 - $3 off coupon inside packaging - $2 off coupon from coupons.com = $14.99.

Yes, it required an additional trip to customer service; but meh, it only took up a minute of my time.

If one went that route in addition to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, you could score both for $30 out the door.
I see the $2 coupon on coupons.com, but are you saying there is another $3 coupon INSIDE of SOM? Seems odd they would have a coupon inside the title that you are buying. Would Target have an issue applying BOTH coupons since aren't they both considered to be Manufacturer's coupons?
Old 11-02-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhauge
I see the $2 coupon on coupons.com, but are you saying there is another $3 coupon INSIDE of SOM? Seems odd they would have a coupon inside the title that you are buying. Would Target have an issue applying BOTH coupons since aren't they both considered to be Manufacturer's coupons?
Yes; there's a $3 off coupon inside SOM that could be used for SOM, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Marmaduke or The Tooth Fairy.

I used the $2 off when I purchased everything, grabbed the coupon from inside the packaging when I got to my car to put everything away and headed back to customer service.

YMMV, but if you go this route, I'd suggest buying more than just the SOM disc (I spent $200+ this morning; also purchased the Toy Story 3 BD and stuff for around the house).
Old 11-02-10, 04:51 PM

Any chance we could get pics of the Digibook edition? Im picking this up later today and am on the fence of which edition to get.
Old 11-02-10, 05:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm not a fan of digibooks, but in the case of SoM, I thought it'd be nice. But it definitely does not have look and feel (and construction) of a digibook. The discs are held by just slots within the first and last pages of the book. I'll post pics when I get home, unless someone else does it first.
Old 11-02-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I'm not a fan of digibooks, but in the case of SoM, I thought it'd be nice. But it definitely does not have look and feel (and construction) of a digibook. The discs are held by just slots within the first and last pages of the book. I'll post pics when I get home, unless someone else does it first.
Really? I thought it had the same look and feel as my other digibooks at home. It just doesn't have as nice of a hub for the disc, since it has to hold three of them. I'll throw up some pics later unless someone beats me to it.
Old 11-02-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As you can sort of see from the middle pic, the back folds out to give access to two of the discs. It's definitely different from what WB and Sony do, but overall it feels very sturdy, and it's a very nice presentation from Fox. Highly recommended.
Old 11-02-10, 05:38 PM

Thanks. A shame about all that wasted white space on the inside though. Is there artwork on the reverse side of that 3rd disc flap?

I guess I will pick up this edition.

edit: theres a shoot'em up digibook?
Old 11-02-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Labor
Thanks. A shame about all that wasted white space on the inside though. Is there artwork on the reverse side of that 3rd disc flap?

I guess I will pick up this edition.

edit: theres a shoot'em up digibook?
It's actually not white space, it's a very light colored design. Looks nice...
Old 11-02-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Labor
Is there artwork on the reverse side of that 3rd disc flap?
No, just a light sort of floral pattern.

Shoot 'Em Up is a German import.
Old 11-02-10, 05:47 PM

Ah ok. Right, after looking a bit harder, I can notice it in the pics
Old 11-02-10, 07:44 PM

Yup, it worked.
Old 11-02-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yes; there's a $3 off coupon inside SOM that could be used for SOM, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Marmaduke or The Tooth Fairy.

I used the $2 off when I purchased everything, grabbed the coupon from inside the packaging when I got to my car to put everything away and headed back to customer service.

YMMV, but if you go this route, I'd suggest buying more than just the SOM disc (I spent $200+ this morning; also purchased the Toy Story 3 BD and stuff for around the house).
Thanks Matthew. I purchased SOM before knowing about the coupons. I'm guessing if I bring both the $2 and $3 coupons to Customer Service, I'm likely to get shot down. Sounds like I'll need to buy another copy (using the $2 coupon), open it in the car, then go to Customer Service with the $3 coupon. I can return my first copy at a later date.
Old 11-03-10, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by anubis2005x
the digibook leaves a little bit to be desired when it comes to holding three discs, but it's not a deal breaker, as the packaging is beautiful. I actually pre-ordered and received this as well from amazon, so i think i'll give that version to somebody for christmas.
Me! Me! Me!
Old 11-03-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have two extra TSOM/CCBB coupons. At Target you could get both sets for $14.49 each before tax, even less if you're a Target cardholder. Anyone in the US who wants these coupons, PM me your address and I can put them in the mail this morning - they should arrive before the end of the sale on Saturday.

EDIT: Claimed!

Last edited by Luther Heggs; 11-03-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-05-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Really? I thought it had the same look and feel as my other digibooks at home. It just doesn't have as nice of a hub for the disc, since it has to hold three of them. I'll throw up some pics later unless someone beats me to it.
Based on those photos provided by doctorthodt, it appears the hub (and sleeve at the bottom) barely holds the discs in place (like the Alien Anthology.)

Can one remove the discs without scratching them? I had read a poster on another forum state the discs can fall out when opening the digibook.

If the discs scratch easily and can fall out easily, I may opt for the regular blu-ray version (aesthetics not withstanding as the digibook seems very nice.)
Old 11-05-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The discs are very secure as long as you're not holding the digibook upside-down (and really, why would you be doing this?); and as long as you don't have parkinson's disease or actively try to destroy your own property, they are very easy to remove/replace without causing damage.
Old 11-05-10, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
The discs are very secure as long as you're not holding the digibook upside-down (and really, why would you be doing this?); and as long as you don't have parkinson's disease or actively try to destroy your own property, they are very easy to remove/replace without causing damage.
I have a feeling all copies are a little different. I opened mine holding it straight and steady, and the discs came tumbling out.
Old 11-05-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think the discs are in there very securely. But only I plan on handling it, so i'm not too worried...
Old 11-05-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a feeling all copies are a little different. I opened mine holding it straight and steady, and the discs came tumbling out.
Yup...same story here (and one disc was already scratched by the packaging upon opening.) Technically, the discs aren't held by a hub, but rather a cutout in the cardboard.

It's a beautiful digibook, but I'll have to see if the OCD in me can accept this lousy design.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.