Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 08:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Looks like the people who are still buying discs are choosing cheaper DVDs over BDs judging by those revenue decline percentages. Leads me to believe that UHD BDs are specifically getting slaughtered.
Old 04-08-20, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by WeeBey
Leads me to believe that UHD BDs are specifically getting slaughtered.
I’m sure the format’s not doing gangbusters, but with only a couple of titles a week and catalog titles becoming increasingly ignored, it doesn’t really stand a chance when you look at total marketshare. But on a title by title basis, UHD BD often performs respectably, especially for blockbuster spectacles in the early weeks of release. (As ever, the long tail favors DVD.) 21% of first-week sales for 1917 went to UHD BD, to name a recent example.

Old 04-09-20, 11:54 PM

Looks like the new Star Wars also had a big UHD week.
Old 04-11-20, 03:32 AM

Out of curiosity, are the Star Wars releases last week pretty much it for the year? Any other big releases expected for BD/DVD?

I guess if Black Widow comes out in the Summer, that could be another one.
Old 04-11-20, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Out of curiosity, are the Star Wars releases last week pretty much it for the year? Any other big releases expected for BD/DVD?

I guess if Black Widow comes out in the Summer, that could be another one.
Black Widow's theatrical release has been moved to November.

There's Pixar's Onward, but the fact that it already debuted on Disney+ is probably going to hurt it's sales.
Besides that, Birds of Prey, Bad Boys for Life and Sonic the Hedgehog are probably the biggest movies released theatrically yet to come out on home video.
Old 04-11-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

2020 was going to be kind of a "soft" year for movies anyway, wasn't it?

No Star Wars, MCU is sort of regrouping after Endgame with only Black Widow and Eternals scheduled (solo film w/ a minor character and a new franchise).

What were the big guns going to be... Wonder Woman, the next F&F installment, and the next Bond?
Old 04-11-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
2020 was going to be kind of a "soft" year for movies anyway, wasn't it?

No Star Wars, MCU is sort of regrouping after Endgame with only Black Widow and Eternals scheduled (solo film w/ a minor character and a new franchise).

What were the big guns going to be... Wonder Woman, the next F&F installment, and the next Bond?
Tenet, Ghostbusters and Top Gun to name a few more.
Old 04-13-20, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Heh.

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-of...ut-1234578471/

"Universal Says ‘Trolls World Tour’ Lands Biggest Digital Debut Ever"

Wonder if this will have repercussions for future dvd/bluray releases.
Old 04-13-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

They're rather tight-lipped about the financial details but I guess for a film that cost $100 million to make they would have to sell over 5 million individual streams at $19.95 each to just break even.

It's hard to quantify how many people would have chosen to see this in a theatre under normal circumstances but it's probably a good time to test the model as they've never had a greater number of people sitting at home looking for entertainment.

Last edited by orangerunner; 04-13-20 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
They're rather tight-lipped about the financial details but I guess for a film that cost $100 million to make they would have to sell over 5 million individual streams at $19.95 each to just break even.
The traditional, pre-pandemic rule of thumb was that a movie had to gross 2.5x its production budget to break even, in order to recoup marketing and distribution expenses, not to mention all the graft inherent in Hollywood accounting. That would mean 12.5 million streaming rentals at $20 each for a movie of this budget.

The distribution model is completely different now, and no doubt most of those expenses are reduced. However, the studio still has to pay for TV ads and other forms of promotion. And the corruption in the system will never go away. The actual break-even number for a movie like this may not be exactly known, but I'm sure it's still at least 2x the budget.
Old 04-13-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other thing they should be concerned with is how easily the file will be to bootleg. Their $19.95-per-stream revenue may get re-distributed for free on multiple illegal platforms.

Last edited by orangerunner; 04-13-20 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (04-13-20)
Old 04-13-20, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Old 04-13-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

Not bad for the time, even if only 100 units were sold to get those numbers.
Old 04-15-20, 02:45 AM

Star Wars almost put Blu-ray into green territory two weeks ago but didn't quite manage it.

I think it's quite possible we will be in negative territory for Blu-ray and DVD for the rest of the year.
Old 04-16-20, 11:47 AM

Those versions of Star Wars do not exist as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-16-20, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Those versions of Star Wars do not exist as far as I'm concerned.
It's funny I have the Stars Wars Blu-rays as well as the Limited Edition DVDs which have the original theatrical versions in 2.35:1 non-anamorphic widescreen. When given the choice of watching one or the other, I always gravitate to the theatrical versions on DVD regardless of the lesser quality.
Old 04-16-20, 11:04 PM

And those are the only reason why I even have those updated versions in my collection. I have the '97 special editions on laserdisc, but at least they were shown that way in theaters. I don't accept those as the 'official' versions either.
Old 04-18-20, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

After selling all my Criterion DVDs 4 years ago, and my Criterion BDs (I broke even!) over the last year - I sold my remaining 104 DVDs today (except for a few concert DVDs - it's worth keeping for the sound quality). The vast majority of the titles weren't mainstream crap you could get for a nickle - so they had *some* value... but I only got $60 for them. I'm lucky to even get that much.

So right now I have only a few concert DVDs and maybe 10 BDs that were purchased for an average price of around $5. I'll still purchase BDs or UHD-BDs of my favorite films that are re-watchable and priced at around $5. That's the most I'm willing to commit to physical media.

It feels good to free up the space and be realistic about my viewing habits.

Welcome to the decline and eventual demise of physical media.
Old 04-19-20, 10:43 PM

I did the same a while ago. I had a few out of print criterions with which I made a few hundred dollars but it was hard to get much of anything for the rest of the collection. I took a bath in the end especially considering I watched, say, 95% of those discs once or twice. Some never.

I have since approached all media purchases, not just physical, with extreme trepidation. I look at a book, whether physical or digital, and I think do I need to own this? How many times will I read this? Does the library have it? I know one day I’ll have to get rid of the thing and I imagine the inevitable waste-of-money feeling when I do.

Yes, I have issues. Still, I’m interested in physical media not to own it but to learn what’s coming out, to read reviews on video/audio quality, to discuss future releases etc. I also get excited about new video game box art/collectors editions or physical book designs even though I haven’t purchased a physical game in many years and I’m extremely unlikely to buy the book.
Old 04-20-20, 11:21 AM

I look at a book, whether physical or digital, and I think do I need to own this? How many times will I read this? Does the library have it? I know one day I’ll have to get rid of the thing and I imagine the inevitable waste-of-money feeling when I do.
(As an aside).

In practice, this was easy to do for stuff like novels and many popular press type books. I rarely ever read novels more than once or twice, even if I really liked the story. Nowadays I might just read the digital ebook version, and not the paper one.

This is much harder to determine for reference and/or technical type books, which are not usually read sequentially. In the past I would go to a local university/college library on weekends, and look through such books to determine whether I wanted to buy them. Nowadays I go through amazon and google books and look through partial scans of the book if available. Sometimes the publisher's website might have partial scans of the book (such as the preface/toc + first chapter).
Old 04-30-20, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/npd-dv...p-in-pandemic/

Consumers are getting physical.

Sales of DVD and Blu-Ray players were both up 27% in unit sales for the week ended April 18 compared to the same week last year, according to data from the NPD Group.

“Sales are up as consumers stay at home and look for multiple forms of entertainment,” said NPD analyst Stephen Baker. “These include DVDs and Blu-ray discs to entertain children while their parents are working, backup access devices if Internet access is challenged by streaming, or simply the consumers’ realization that they may need a physical disc player as an alternative to streaming and either they didn’t already have one or the one they do have needs an upgrade.”
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (04-30-20)
Old 04-30-20, 03:39 PM

Lets hope all those newly purchased $40 bluray players are actually being used to play newly purchased bluray discs, and not just used solely to play really old dvd discs which have been collecting dust for many years nor only as a Roku-lite streaming device.
Old 04-30-20, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Lets hope all those newly purchased $40 bluray players are actually being used to play newly purchased bluray discs, and not just used solely to play really old dvd discs which have been collecting dust for many years nor only as a Roku-lite streaming device.
If it gets the people to buy even a couple more DVDs at least it's keeping the idea of physical media going. I can see them using it for their current DVDs and then wondering what else may be out there and the next time they're at Walmart or Target, they'll notice all the DVDs and Blus on the endcaps and maybe grab something new.
Old 04-30-20, 04:59 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
They are being used for Netflix, YouTube and Hulu. You can't really buy physical media at stores (in California) unless you do in-store pickup, so its bizarre to see people buying those players unless they have those old discs hanging around. It's not like kids under the age of 10 even know what a DVD/BD is.
Old 04-30-20, 05:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

You can buy a streaming device for the same price or less. I doubt people are buying physical media players solely for using their limited app functionality.
The following 2 users liked this post by E Unit:
DJariya (04-30-20), joltman (05-01-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.