Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition -- June 29, 2010

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Ugh, I can't believe they fucked this up so bad. At this point I will never own Predator 1 on Blu.
Not to worry. im sure there will be yet another release in a few years. The Get To Da Choppa Special Edition. its enevitable so they can tout their even newly remastered video.
Old 07-02-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Amazon dropped the price to $13.99 which moves this up to the #12 position. Just awesome. More sales = a "success" for Fox = more Waxy movies in the future.
Let's not get carried away yet. Do you really think that the vast majority of those sales come from people that are aware of the controversy? I don't think they can draw a correlation here, when there are plenty of other titles that do well without it. (Remember how 300 was the best-selling title until Iron Man came along, and IM was also somewhat grainy for a modern film.) They actually get it right more often than not.
Old 07-02-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
At this point I will never own Predator 1 on Blu.
Just get the first release; I am. It's got a better picture than the DVD - good enough for me to buy @ $10.
Old 07-02-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Amazon dropped the price to $13.99 which moves this up to the #12 position. Just awesome. More sales = a "success" for Fox = more Waxy movies in the future.
What weight do you suppose all of the scathing reviews carry?
Old 07-02-10, 10:35 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
What weight do you suppose all of the scathing reviews carry?
Next to none. We are the 1-2% that reads and cares.
Old 07-02-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

An excellent review, Adam. However, Die Hard edges out Predator for best macho action flick.
Old 07-02-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just bought this figuring I didn't have any version on Blu ray yet and I could use the ticket for when I saw Predators.

I think the picture quality looks good, but what do I know?

There are no theaters within 50 miles that will honor the free ticket, so whoever replies first wanting my activation code can have it for free.
Old 07-02-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
An excellent review, Adam. However, Die Hard edges out Predator for best macho action flick.
Thanks!

Honestly, it's a toss-up for me between Predator and Die Hard, but I figured writing something more absolute would read better in a review. It doesn't hurt that I've watched Predator a lot more than Die Hard.
Old 07-02-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
So I just bought this figuring I didn't have any version on Blu ray yet and I could use the ticket for when I saw Predators.

I think the picture quality looks good, but what do I know?

There are no theaters within 50 miles that will honor the free ticket, so whoever replies first wanting my activation code can have it for free.
I'll take it if it's still available. Thanks.
Old 07-02-10, 12:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Thanks!

Honestly, it's a toss-up for me between Predator and Die Hard, but I figured writing something more absolute would read better in a review. It doesn't hurt that I've watched Predator a lot more than Die Hard.
I think Predator and Die Hard represent the ultimate presentation of two very different types of action film. Predator is the ultimate ubermensch action film, while Die Hard is the ultimate everyman action film.
Old 07-02-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'll take it if it's still available. Thanks.
sure pm me....
Old 07-02-10, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
....No. Predator is a much better action flick. Die Hard is good. But Predator is an amazing action flick.

alright..fuck it. I'm making a poll for this. It has to be decided.
Old 07-02-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In terms of lighting, I don't know how Predator is supposed to look. I've never been a fan of the film, so I don't have a long history of watching it over and over and committing a particular look to memory.

But I now understand what excessive DNR is like.

--THX
Old 07-02-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IGN posted their review and gave the video quality a 7/10 and overall quality 8/10. Those bastards...

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/110/1103224p1.html
Old 07-02-10, 09:46 PM

Got this on order from amazon. I gave some serious thought about buying the old BD but I think this new "ultimate version" is a more complete package even if the PQ is "shitty".
Old 07-02-10, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone keeps focusing on that screenshot of Arnold, but what about the rest of the picture? The general standing in front of Arnold looks much improved, especially the color of his jacket and hair. You can see more pronounced shapes and lines near his ears. In the previous Blu Ray, he seems to have almost an orange color, whereas the new one seems "right".
Old 07-03-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
It seems like a lot of people who don't like DNR blu-rays read the negative reviews about this blu-ray yet they bought the blu-ray anyway? That doesn't make sense. Then that makes you a supporter of DNR as well. The only smart person in here that didn't buy this blu-ray who is against DNR is SOLID SNAKE PAC. Are there any other forum members in here that don't like DNR that did NOT buy this new blu-ray?
I'm not buying the new Blu-Ray either...
Old 07-03-10, 02:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
Everyone keeps focusing on that screenshot of Arnold, but what about the rest of the picture? The general standing in front of Arnold looks much improved, especially the color of his jacket and hair. You can see more pronounced shapes and lines near his ears. In the previous Blu Ray, he seems to have almost an orange color, whereas the new one seems "right".
You know, I respect Adam's opinions and his eye for a good transfer without question. But I thought maybe--just maybe--he was letting his love for this movie color his perception on how bad this transfer really is.

However, I've thrown the disc in to check it out, and this is the most offensive transfer I've ever seen. I've got a ton of shovelware Universal discs on HD DVD that looks like they slapped the print around and called it rude names before putting it on disc, but frankly, I'd rather have a transfer from a poor master than have the studio actually spend time and money making their movies look like they were shot with Legos and Hot Wheels. That's how plastic and overly smooth this transfer is. It looks like they had people on set with buffing machines to smooth every actor into a fine sheen before rolling the cameras. I've never seen Predator look like this, and I've seen it on film. This is, hands down, the fucking most ridiculous, stupid, obnoxious, asshole move Fox could have made. Whoever did this transfer should be fired. Whoever approved this transfer should be fired, taken out behind the Fox lot, and shot in the head twice.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is: Adam, I'm sorry I doubted you. If this thing had cost me more than $1, I would have felt ripped off. Luckily I've got the original Blu-ray coming, so I'm only out of pocket $5.96 total for both. I just ordered a two-disc blank case. I'll throw the Ultimate Edition sleeve on it, and have both discs in one case.

Last edited by Supermallet; 07-03-10 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-03-10, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I'm not buying the new Blu-Ray either...
+1

I didn't purchase the new BD and I'm not a fan of DNR.
Old 07-03-10, 06:59 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a motherfucking Predator. You don't fuck w/ it in the worst way. It's fanbase is huge and those that are of it's fanbase obvously are a lot of us that grew up w/ it. We know wtf it looks like.
Old 07-03-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, the contrast seems to be better, and the impression that I've been hearing is that did go back and create a new master with more accurate colors and a bit more detail prior to spewing DNR all over it. But look at Arnold's completely textureless, absolutely flat shirt in the new cap. It's been so smoothed of any minor details it looks like a flat piece of cardboard.

And even though you're trying to get away from Arnold's face, it's just so clear how he goes from having sweaty, stubbly, human skin to polished leather with a layer of beard paste rubbed on. The DNR also seems to be robbing the new transfer of dimensionality. The two feet of distance between Arnold and the general seems much more obvious to me in the old screencap compared to the old.
Old 07-03-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of people joke around about an image being so hazy that they keep rubbing their eyes to make it better, but this one literally does that to me:

Originally Posted by Adam's Review
Old 07-03-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX

In terms of lighting, I don't know how Predator is supposed to look. I've never been a fan of the film, so I don't have a long history of watching it over and over and committing a particular look to memory.

But I now understand what excessive DNR is like.
These two screen caps you've posted come from different sources. DVDBeaver's Blu-ray screen caps are known to be taken with inaccurate settings. (That's a general problem with the site, not just this one review.) The new Blu-ray is actually brighter and oversaturated compared to the original. The pics you posted give the opposite impression.
Old 07-03-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw the 2-pack @ BB last night. Pissed me off that I couldn't buy it since it was being sold for a reasonable price and I still need Predator 2 on BD. Bastards!
Old 07-03-10, 12:58 PM
Cool New Member

The screen shot from dvdbeaver shown in this thread doesn't look anything like the screen shot on the actual dvdbeaver site. Go to http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...or_blu-ray.htm and you will see what i'm talking about. Who ever posted that screen shot on this thread messed it up because the shot looks way better on the dvdbeaver website.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.