Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney wants to bring Alice in wonderland 2010 to Bluray DVD & VOD sooner than usual

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney wants to bring Alice in wonderland 2010 to Bluray DVD & VOD sooner than usual

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...6163f325cb3982

According to the hollywood reporter, Disney is wanting to dramaticly shorten the theatrical release window for Alice in wonderland down to only 13 weeks after it opens on March 5th and get the movie into homes sooner.

personally I dont think NATO is going to go for this, just last year sony had to change its home video release plans for This is it because NATO balked at the much shorter than normal number of days that it takes to get a movie to video, and didnt go for the its only a two week limited run argument.

and then cloudy with a chance of meatballs got pulled from several big theatre chains in late october after sony announced plans to make the movie availble on VOD to those with sony bravia tvs or sony bluray players.

so i really dont see NATO or any of the big theatre chains going for this.
INfact thats why Technicolor has started their 3D for film program. (albeit the 3D is nowhere near Real D quality but its there to help hold things over till there are more Real D, Dolby DIgital 3d and others availble.

Bob Iger wasn't bluffing.

The Disney CEO has been telling Wall Street for months that he's going to have studio executives begin fiddling with traditional movie release windows, and it appears the time has arrived for the first grand experiment.

A day after the revelation that U.K. exhibitors are being asked to accept a tightened theatrical window on Disney's spring tentpole "Alice in Wonderland," The Hollywood Reporter has learned that U.S. theater owners have been similarly approached.

Normally, movies play in first-run theaters for up to 16 weeks. Disney is talking about a theatrical run of just under 13 weeks on "Alice," a 3D motion-capture/live-action fantasy helmed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp.

The studio would benefit by truncating the film's theatrical run as the title is a near sure shot for big success in home entertainment with its family-friendly subject matter and well-known cast. So the quicker Disney can get it into DVD and Blu-ray Disc release the better.

It's likely that Disney also will accelerate the availability of "Alice" on VOD, which home-entertainment execs have come to view as less of a threat to DVD/Blu-ray income and more as a complementary revenue stream.

Exhibitors have made it clear that they need a compensating upside from the moves. Less clear is how the Burbank studio will provide such a benefit, but film-rental terms are always subject to some negotiating.

These days, most releases come with "aggregate" terms. In such cases, distributors and exhibitors agree to split boxoffice by a set percentage of a film's entire run, with up to 55% going into studio coffers on pricey tentpole releases.

But on some pics, studios still pencil in a growing split for exhibs during the course of a run. So it's possible that Disney will use such an approach to offer a sweeter-than-usual early taste of the receipts for exhibs agreeing to book the film for a truncated theatrical run.

In any event, exhibs are getting assurances that Disney will proceed cautiously in broadening its experiment to future movie releases.

Disney's sales job in the U.K., where it sought to lop up to five weeks from its regional run, was a bit easier. European theater owners know the theatrical market will be squeezed greatly when the soccer World Cup kicks off in June.

Meanwhile, another benefit of the shorter theatrical run for "Alice" -- set to unspool worldwide March 5 in a combination of 2D and 3D venues -- would be its freeing up 3D screens for other big extra-dimensional releases including Warner Bros.' April 2 opener "Clash of the Titans."

For Iger, who's been trying to reinvigorate the Disney film studio through a major executive shuffle, changes to traditional release windows simply are a matter of maximizing studio profits. As recently as Tuesday, the Disney topper mused during an earnings conference that window experiments might be a way of improving the studio's bottom line.
Old 02-11-10, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Disney wants to bring Alice in wonderland 2010 to Bluray DVD & VOD sooner than us

I think NATO has much bigger issues to focus on like the missile defense shield in Europe. Where do they even find time to run theaters?

Last edited by bunkaroo; 02-11-10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 11:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Disney wants to bring Alice in wonderland 2010 to Bluray DVD & VOD sooner than us

Translation:

"We expect Alice in Wonderland to bomb."
Old 02-11-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't Paramount already do this last year with GI Joe, and there were already some complaints about it? Sounds like Disney is just testing the same waters to me....

Yep, "The Rise Of Cobra" was released into theaters on August 7th, released onto DVD/BD on November 3, that's just a few days under 13 weeks....
Old 02-11-10, 12:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Sooner it hits BD, the sooner I can watch it!
Old 02-11-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by somethingmore
translation:

"we expect alice in wonderland to bomb."
lol!
Old 02-11-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Sooner it hits BD, the sooner I can watch it!
But...but....but.....what about 3D?!?
Old 02-11-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Not sure why they'd want to make this public.. If I don't catch it the first few wks I'll just wait. Of course I usually do that with most movies these days. I wouldn't mind a shorter window, but it only increases the chances they'll only get one purchase from me - either the theater or blu-ray.
Old 02-11-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Translation:

Old 02-11-10, 02:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
But...but....but.....what about 3D?!?
3D can suck it.
Old 02-11-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So does this make the chances of getting the 1951 version on BD less likely?
Old 02-11-10, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drexl
The Animated flick? Who knows, Disney will just delay it.
Old 02-11-10, 02:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think so. The new film appears to be a sequel.
Old 02-11-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Hell, just have the blu-rays and dvds at the theater and people can buy a ticket for $10 or a bundle with the physical movie for $25.
Old 02-11-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

No, Disney has better classic movies in the pipes for this year: Dumbo, Fantasia, and (recent, but still classic) Toy Story 1 and 2.
Old 02-11-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I think NATO has much bigger issues to focus on like the missile defense shield in Europe. Where do they even find time to run theaters?
Iam going to pretend that you are actually joking and not being serious here.
N.A.T.O
(National Association of Theatre Owners)
Old 02-11-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. This is because Disney just wants a straight shot of profit.

OR

2. This is because Disney won't get as many 3D screens as originally intended due to the continued and consistent success of Avatar and some theaters reluctance to remove Avatar from their screens in March.
Old 02-11-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Didn't Paramount already do this last year with GI Joe, and there were already some complaints about it? Sounds like Disney is just testing the same waters to me....

Yep, "The Rise Of Cobra" was released into theaters on August 7th, released onto DVD/BD on November 3, that's just a few days under 13 weeks....
True that Alice is looking to be just a few days earlier than what was done with G.I. Joe last year, but one of the main Differences is that they didnt come out and Announces G.I JOE release date on video a month prior to the theatres opening date.

and theatre owners were just as upset when paramount did announce that, hence why they reacted the way they did towards sony with This is It and Cloudy and A chance of Meatballs.

Disney is atleast being smart about this and ASKING theatre owners, but i still dont Think NATO and all the theatre owners that are a part of NATO will go for it. It will be intresting to see play out though.
Old 02-11-10, 04:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
1. This is because Disney just wants a straight shot of profit.

OR

2. This is because Disney won't get as many 3D screens as originally intended due to the continued and consistent success of Avatar and some theaters reluctance to remove Avatar from their screens in March.
Plus Clash of the Titans is now 3D.
Old 02-11-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but Alice has an entire one month start now prior to Clash's new release date. Alice also will have the upper hand of booking showings in IMAX 3D which Clash will not have.

I'm curious to see what happens on March 5th. Will most theaters eliminate Avatar completely to put up Alice, especially when the film's biggest drop was 24% just less than a week ago? [Everything prior was 8-15%.]
Old 02-11-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

exactly, but the theatre owners are working hard to get more screens converted to 3d digital as quickly as possible. and techincolor came up with
3D for film as a way to atleast get the 3D option in smaller theaters where its going to be a while before Digital 3D is affordable.

3D is being used for a lot of films this spring and summer
How to train a dragon March 25
Clash of the Titans April 2
Iron Man 2 (decision to be made in a the next few weeks on 3D conversion)
Pirahna 3D (pushed back to august)
Toystory 3D
Shrek fourthever after 3D
dont forget latter this year also
Saw VII 3D
Tron Legacy 3D
Harry potter and the Deathly hallows Part one 3D

and many others i havent even listed.
Old 02-11-10, 04:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Translation:

I seriously doubt that. Its Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and the trailors and visuals look phenomenal. Im there on opening day
Old 02-11-10, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Amazing how many films I won't see because of the premium price 3D holds. Unless its Twilight.
Old 02-11-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazing how many films I won't see because of the premium price 3D holds. Unless its Twilight.
all of those films will have a good number of 2D screens as well.

how much is the premium in your neck of the woods in the hollywood area 3D films are about 2 dollars more except for cinerama dome and there crappy Xpand 3D which is i think about 5 dollars more.
Old 02-11-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FlickMan
I seriously doubt that. Its Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and the trailors and visuals look phenomenal. Im there on opening day
Well, if you want to be technical, their last two outings together only grossed $52-53 million per flick (Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.