Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Saving Private Ryan --> May 4th

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Saving Private Ryan --> May 4th

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Saving Private Ryan --> May 4th

If it's supposed to be available at Target that soon, then I assume the people who've been calling Paramount should be receiving discs soon, or at least getting called back.
Old 05-11-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Digital Bits:

Meanwhile, we also have an update today on Paramount and DreamWorks' Saving Private Ryan Blu-ray Disc. The studio has unofficially confirmed that there IS a sound sync issue on current copies, and Amazon has just temporarily pulled the disc from sale. We're told that the studio IS working on fixed discs for retail, and they're expected to soon announce a replacement plan for those who already have the bad copies. For those who may not be aware, audio sync issues appear to start around Chapter 15 - certain lines of dialogue appear out of lip-sync with the film. Again, we'll post more on this as it comes in.
Old 05-11-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since I bought my copy from Walmart, what should I do? Just return it back there?
Old 05-11-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, how awesome this is. Soooo many people assumed that so many people were crazy or just technologically inept, and yet, there's INDEED an issue.
Old 05-11-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Well, how awesome this is. Soooo many people assumed that so many people were crazy or just technologically inept, and yet, there's INDEED an issue.
I think you're being a little sensitive. I think most people were just mentioning whether or not they had trouble. I really don't think they were insinuating there was a personal problem because you were having trouble.
Old 05-11-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
Since I bought my copy from Walmart, what should I do? Just return it back there?
Usually a replacement program is with the studio and not the place of purchase. If set up correctly, shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Old 05-11-10, 09:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i work for target...this email just came through. basically it means paramount is asking for a recall.
Phew! Good to know the issue is with the CD and not the Blu-ray.
Old 05-11-10, 11:27 PM

i work for target...this email just came through. basically it means paramount is asking for a recall.
Just a heads-up, it's frowned upon to copy and paste company emails due to confidentiality rules. Depending on the severity, it could even be grounds for termination. Posting the DPCI is harmless, but I would at least remove the PO and the OTR.

So do you work at a store or a DC?

Last edited by Looneybomber; 05-11-10 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

OK so I popped mine in on both my Oppo and PS3. Bitstream and decoded from the Oppo. In all cases, from Chapter 15 and on I could detect a sync issue.

Then I decided to let my Oppo play through from chapter 14 instead of skipping into 15 and it seemed better. Now I could just be fooling myself, or maybe this is why some have said they've watched the movie and didn't see an issue.

I'll still do the exchange but I thought maybe it's an issue with losing sync by skipping around.
Old 05-12-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The new version is ready on 5/18? I didn't know Target even carried SPR. I never saw it at any store and the website said it wasn't available in stores.
From what it looks like, Target's original release date was probably 5/18 (not the recall-replacement release date)... no wonder I couldn't find it there. Not even a spot for it.

This is one of those rare times that I'm glad I waited... and that was only because I am broke.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Phew! Good to know the issue is with the CD and not the Blu-ray.
Old 05-12-10, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re-watched my copy of Saving Private Ryan and it seems my copy is fine.
Old 05-12-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lucky I held out. will wait till all this is sorted out before purchasing.
Old 05-12-10, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdude
lucky I held out. will wait till all this is sorted out before purchasing.
ditto.
Old 05-12-10, 10:19 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shacmasta
Re-watched my copy of Saving Private Ryan and it seems my copy is fine.
I would characterize that as 'fine' with your equipment configuration. If all SPR discs are the same as one would expect, you might consider how it will be if you ever change your configuration (new BD player, receiver, or TV).
Old 05-12-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Something I recall from when I bought my copy was that about half the copies (underneath the slipcover) were wrapped in the stretchy shrink-wrap and the other half were wrapped in the non-stretchy wrap that is folded and sealed at the edges. I wonder if that would denote a difference between the discs.
Old 05-12-10, 10:48 AM

Which wrapping did your copy have, slop101? My copy had the stretchy shrink-wrap. It didn't have the title sticker across the top either. Anyway, I've watched it twice and haven't noticed so much as a slight problem.
Old 05-12-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I grabbed the non-stretchy cellophane-ish wrapped one (no problems with the disc as far as I can tell).
Old 05-12-10, 12:36 PM

Mine didnt even have the security tape on the top of the case, but still shrinkwrapped
Old 05-12-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine was wrapped in aluminum foil.
Old 05-12-10, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Looneybomber
Just a heads-up, it's frowned upon to copy and paste company emails due to confidentiality rules. Depending on the severity, it could even be grounds for termination. Posting the DPCI is harmless, but I would at least remove the PO and the OTR.

So do you work at a store or a DC?
So is this the reason you signed up and made your first post?
Old 05-12-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bd...?
So is this the reason you signed up and made your first post?
No doubt! I think we have a tattle tale in our midst...
Old 05-12-10, 04:55 PM

Thanks to thedigitalbits.com:

PARAMOUNT HOME ENTERTAINMENT RECALLING SAVING PRIVATE RYAN SAPPHIRE SERIES BLU-RAY DISCS

Replacement Product to be Available at Retail by Tuesday, May 18

HOLLYWOOD, CA (May 12, 2010) - Paramount Home Entertainment today announced that it is recalling the Sapphire Series Blu-ray edition of Saving Private Ryan recently released in North America, the United Kingdom and the Benelux countries due to an audio synch error that occurred during Technicolor's authoring process. Although Technicolor employs comprehensive quality control measures, in this instance the issue was not detected prior to replication.

"Technicolor has been a valuable partner to Paramount Home Entertainment, and both Paramount and Technicolor are committed to providing the highest quality product to consumers," said Dennis Maguire, President, Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment Worldwide. "Our Sapphire Series was created to present our greatest films with the finest picture and sound quality available. Saving Private Ryan is a five time Academy AwardŽ winning film including Best Director from one of America's most acclaimed filmmakers so we are recalling this edition to ensure that every Blu-ray disc honors Steven Spielberg's vision."

Technicolor has set up the following toll-free numbers for consumers who have already purchased the Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu-ray, which provides details on how they can receive a replacement copy -- US and Canada: 888-370-8621, UK: 08000-852-613. Consumers can also return the Blu-ray to the stores where they purchased the product to receive a replacement. Technicolor expects to have replacement discs available at retail no later than Tuesday, May 18.

Editor's Note: I've confirmed with Paramount that the corrected Blu-ray discs will have a YELLOW UPC code/symbol on the back. That's how you'll know you're getting the fixed Blu-ray.
Old 05-12-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent news. I'll be getting my replacement via Amazon, which will be much faster than dealing with Paramount.
Old 05-12-10, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Excellent news. I'll be getting my replacement via Amazon, which will be much faster than dealing with Paramount.
Are you just getting a refund and preordering a new copy? My copy from Amazon is only eligible for a refund, since it's an out of stock item. And the new copies are available for preorder, but for a list price of $27.99. I'd be losing $8!

Should I call them?
Old 05-12-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^ I'd give Amazon a couple of days to post something official to their SPR product page on how they'll handle returns. They may even follow their recall protocols and sent out an e-mail in the next few days. I wouldn't go their standard return process yet.

I went ahead and called Techincolor; well set-up on their end to handle this. After about three minutes on hold, it took about one minute to give them my info (name, address and phone number).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.