Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Awesome...I remember loving Ninja III when I was a kid. I'm so in for that one, haha.
Old 03-07-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5/4 - ELECTRA GLIDE IN BLUE

had this already been announced? if so i missed it. super stoked on this one.
Old 03-07-13, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Also, even though it's only being released on DVD, I might as well post in this thread that Shout is releasing the long OOP Swimming to Cambodia (5/28/13).
I didn't register that when I first saw your post. That news just thrills me. I like Spalding Gray, but didn't become familiar with him until AFTER that disc went OOP...
Old 03-08-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull

Completely unexpected, totally fucking awesome!
Old 03-11-13, 12:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
We're happy to report that our DVD & Blu-ray combo Collector's Edition of FROM BEYOND (Out 3/26) is jam-packed with bonus content. If you love this film, you won't want to miss out on this release.

ALL-NEW SCREAM FACTORY EXTRAS:
- Audio Commentary with writer Denis Paoli
- MULTIPLE DIMENSIONS – A look at the film’s extensive Make-Up & Creature Effects with Special Effects Creators John Buechler, Anthony Doublin, John Naulin, and Mark Shostrom
- PAGING DR. MCMICHAELS – An interview with Actress Barbara Crampton
- A TORTURED SOUL – An interview with Actor Jeffrey Combs
- AN EMPIRE PRODUCTION – An interview with Executive Producer Charles Band

EXTRAS CARRIED OVER FROM THE MGM 2007 DVD RELEASE:
- Audio Commentary with director Stuart Gordon and the cast
- THE DIRECTOR’S PERSPECTIVE - interview with Stuart Gordon
- THE EDITING ROOM: LOST AND FOUND - Gordon Stuart and MGM restoration team interview
- Interview with composer Richard Band
- Storyboard to Film Comparisions with Introduction
- Two photo galleries
I can verify that the From Beyond Blu-ray looks and sounds fantastic, and the new extras are really good.
Old 03-11-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull

I agree. I saw ELECTRA GLIDE IN BLUE about 15 years ago in a college seminar on cult films. Good film. Unforgettable ending.
Old 03-11-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I can verify that the From Beyond Blu-ray looks and sounds fantastic, and the new extras are really good.
I just ordered this for $10, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-11-13, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I just ordered this for $10, so I'm looking forward to it.
Where did you find this that cheap?
Old 03-11-13, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by miller_time22
Where did you find this that cheap?
Very easy!

1) Add the Blu-Ray to your Amazon shopping cart
2) Go to checkout
3) While checking out, apply $11 worth of your Amazon credit card reward points (assuming your state charges tax)
4) Place your order!

Now...you do have Amazon reward points, don't you? Because otherwise, this plan kind of falls apart.
Old 03-12-13, 12:15 AM

Greenvulture, not sure if you're aware, but it works out as a better deal if you use your rewards point as a credit to your CC account. That way, you still get the same amount of money in the end, AND you get your triple points on amazon purchases.
Old 03-12-13, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ThePhantomGoat
Greenvulture, not sure if you're aware, but it works out as a better deal if you use your rewards point as a credit to your CC account. That way, you still get the same amount of money in the end, AND you get your triple points on amazon purchases.
Sounds like greenvulture just got f'd in the a.
Old 03-12-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

So are they all horror now? Any more stuff like their Gamera DVDs?
Old 03-12-13, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Very easy!

1) Add the Blu-Ray to your Amazon shopping cart
2) Go to checkout
3) While checking out, apply $11 worth of your Amazon credit card reward points (assuming your state charges tax)
4) Place your order!

Now...you do have Amazon reward points, don't you? Because otherwise, this plan kind of falls apart.
Lol thanks. I thought that might be the case. Just checking to make sure there wasn't some crazy deal out there for this.
Old 03-12-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can also use your points for airline tickets and get up to a $400 round trip ticket for $250 in points - and get your 3x points on From Beyond.
Old 03-19-13, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I read on Shout/Scream Factory's Facebook page that they'll be releasing Wes Craven's Swamp Thing (1982) this summer sometime. I'll probably pick it up when it's out, not a perfect movie but I remember liking it when I was younger.
Old 03-19-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

And for the record - not a collector's edition (though it will have some nice features it seems) and it will only be the US theatrical cut not the "extra boobs" cut
Old 03-19-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^Yeah, I'm really disappointed. Everyone is calling European extra boobs, but it's really boobs only cut, in theatrical all you see is side boob. With boobs it would be day 1, but it's a pass for me.
Old 03-19-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
^Yeah, I'm really disappointed. Everyone is calling European extra boobs, but it's really boobs only cut, in theatrical all you see is side boob. With boobs it would be day 1, but it's a pass for me.
I haven't seen it in a long long time so I don't remember much about it but I used to love Swamp Thing so I'll grab this eventually
Old 03-20-13, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pjflyer
You can also use your points for airline tickets and get up to a $400 round trip ticket for $250 in points - and get your 3x points on From Beyond.
Good ideas both, but I didn't have the foresight to think about either while ordering, as this was more or less bought on impulse (always liked the movie, plus it'll help with waiting for Second Sight to announce their BD of Re-Animator). Maybe my head was clouded by the thought of watching a leather and g-string-clad Barbara Crampton in hi-def...I'm only human, people!
Old 03-20-13, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Are boobs the only difference in the cuts? And you really go from wanting it immediately to not wanting it at all just because of a couple boob shots?
Old 03-20-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy it and then if you ever want to see a boob, go on the internet.
Old 03-20-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm definitely in for Swamp Thing.
Old 03-20-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very disappointed it's not the unrated cut....
Old 03-21-13, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
Are boobs the only difference in the cuts? And you really go from wanting it immediately to not wanting it at all just because of a couple boob shots?
I don't care for the movie, but I love Adrienne Barbeau's wet boobs. The only reason I would buy the film is for an upgrade from non anamorphic to HD boobs.
Old 03-21-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Yes, that's the only difference in two scenes. Both additions seem out of place and have a gratuitous feel towards them (and not in a good way), since they were shot solely for the international market since it was demanded. At least that is the story I've always heard, and after seeing the so called 'uncut' version, it wouldn't surprise me if it's true based on how awkward both scenes are. The first addition with Adrienne is more funny in my opinion and a scene at the baddies house later on was just sleazy and pointless. Ideally, both versions would be included. But the film works fine in the intended PG form.

And here is a long reply I found on imdb.com by a person who claims to have worked on the film. It's pretty detailed.

Spoiler:
"I responded a year ago to this issue on another thread, but it evidently got buried and few saw it. So, here is the story once again in a nutshell:

I worked on Swamp Thing as an on-set Effects Technician (fog, fire, bullet-hits) and was present at the filming of both 'nude' scenes that were shot for the film. I had to do 'light fog' floating in front of Adrienne in her bathing scene (it was a closed set at Magnolia Gardens in Charleston, SC; only Wes, the DP, the 1st AD, myself, and another Effects Assist. were present). Two versions were shot --- one for U.S. audiences {Adrienne (in close-up) on her knees underwater with the surface of the water 'above' her breasts}; and one for the overseas release {with Adrienne (in close-up) standing up and the surface of the water 'below' her breasts}. (A side-angle, distant shot of 'partial-nudity' was also filmed that appears in both versions.) I was called in from the swamp a week later to supply 'light cigarette haze' in the interior of the Aiken House (Arcane's Mansion) for the so-called 'orgy' scene. (Neither of these two nude scenes were in the original shooting script --I still have my copy of the script.) When I arrived at the Aiken House (another closed set), I asked Wes why we were filming an 'orgy' scene. He said that United Artists was handling the overseas release of the film, and since the film would get an adult certificate in Europe and South America for the violence (and kids would not be admitted), the UA execs needed something 'adult' to spice it up a bit. (By the way, the girls in the 'orgy' scene were all local Charleston-area strippers hired at the last minute to do the scene. The commando "extras" had not expected to be doing a scene with nude girls, so they got an extra 'thrill'.)

MGM made the goof a couple of years ago when they grabbed the Europeon negative (UA logo instead of Avco-Embassy logo) to release on DVD. I knew when I saw the UA logo exactly what had happened and chapter-stopped down to where I knew the nude scenes would be, and sure enough, there they were. It was amazing to me that it took MGM nearly a full year to realize their mistake and recall the remaining DVDs and then later reissue the original PG version.
By the way, the PG version is how it was originally released in theatres in the U.S. and on home VHS video (which does contain the very-brief, nude, side-long-shot from-a-distance of Adrienne).
I never thought I would see the European version in this country. Glad MGM made the mistake !

Realistically, however, the film works better without the nude footage, as it seems out-of-place in the atmosphere and style of this particular picture. (And, as I said earlier, neither of the two scenes were in the original shooting script anyway.)"

Geoffrey Rayle (F/X --Swamp Thing)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.