Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 04:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just got Exorcist III a few days ago. Shipped super early from Shout.

Anyways, I started watching some of the directors cut late last night before I hit the sack.

It's 6 minutes shorter and it's intercut with newly inserted very grainy 4:3 scenes which were sourced from VHS. The title card when the movie starts was also changed to William Peter Blatty's Legion.

I'll try to finish this up today. Haven't seen the film since the 1990s so I'm watching it with relatively fresh eyes.

After shipping and sales tax, came out to $30 and change. Might be a little too rich for most here and it's a 26 year old title. I guess you're really paying to get it early.
Is the Legion cut supposed to be better? worse? I really want to see a nice pq version and not sure I want to see grainy, less than stellar video...
Old 10-09-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Is the Legion cut supposed to be better? worse? I really want to see a nice pq version and not sure I want to see grainy, less than stellar video...
Both versions are included. Hard to say if it's supposed to be better or not. Haven't finished watching both yet.

The Legion DC as I said is HD 16:9 footage edited together with the grainy 4:3 VHS scenes to make this version. There is a big text graphic before the movie starts that explains it and that this was the best they could do. The aspect ratios change with the new footage edited in. The original negatives are long gone. I heard this was a VHS tape of the original dailies which somehow still existed.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-09-16 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 06:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got Exorcist III a few days ago. Shipped super early from Shout.

Anyways, I started watching some of the directors cut late last night before I hit the sack.

It's 6 minutes shorter and it's intercut with newly inserted very grainy 4:3 scenes which were sourced from VHS. The title card when the movie starts was also changed to William Peter Blatty's Legion.

I'll try to finish this up today. Haven't seen the film since the 1990s so I'm watching it with relatively fresh eyes.

After shipping and sales tax, came out to $30 and change. Might be a little too rich for most here and it's a 26 year old title. I guess you're really paying to get it early.
..wow i only paid $20.00 for it at familyvideo.com..
Old 10-09-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by AMERICAN
..wow i only paid $20.00 for it at familyvideo.com..
Well, I did buy it off the Shout website and it arrived 2 days ago (official release date is the 25th) and they include a poster as well. So getting it over 2 weeks early is an incentive (sorta) for buying off them.

I rarely buy off their site because they don't offer very high discounts and shipping kills anything being a "deal"

So if you're in no hurry to get catalog product from them, it's probably best to go off Amazon or other retailers.
Old 10-10-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Coming January 24, 2017

Extras TBA

***POLTERGEIST II & POLTERGEIST III Update***
They’re Here…Again! The 1986 and 1988 sequels to Tobe Hooper/Steven Spielberg’s original classic Poltergeist are coming to Scream Factory this Winter! Today we reveal to you a few more details about them:
- Official release dates for both are January 24th
- Both will be a branded as a "Collector's Editions" that will come with a slipcover (guaranteed for three months after its original release date).
- The newly-commissioned front-facing artwork you see pictured comes to us from artist Justin Osbourn (Lifeforce, The Fog, Child’s Play). The reverse side of the wraps will showcase the original theatrical poster art.
- Bonus features and specs are still in progress and will be announced sometime in Nov/Dec. However, we can confirm now that both will receive new 2K film transfers!
- Pre-order now directly from our website which includes shipping two weeks early plus a free 18” x 24” poster of the newly-designed key art (while supplies last)!
Poltergeist II: https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/polte...her-sid…
Poltergeist III: https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/polte...ctor-s-…

Last edited by DJariya; 10-10-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Poltergeist 2 & 3

Coming January 24, 2017

Extras TBA
*sigh*, I'll pass...I already have the original double feature in blu and I'm pretty sure the cost for one of these will be double what I paid for the double ($7.88). Just not worth it.
Old 10-10-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

$24.93 each on the Shout website with a free poster for each.

Shout catalog titles aren't cheap by any means. It really depends on how much you want them and what your budget is.
Old 10-10-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$24.93 each on the Shout website with a free poster for each.

Shout catalog titles aren't cheap by any means. It really depends on how much you want them and what your budget is.
Oh absolutely, and its a lot easier to stomach when its title I'm in love with like Escape from NY, Fog, Thing, etc or a limited edition run like they did with the two Deathstalkers. But the two Poltergeist sequels, not so much.
Old 10-10-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoyed the first sequel quite a bit. Could be interested in an upgrade if they add great features and the PQ is a big upgrade. But I already have the current BD, so it would have to be a significant upgrade in both ways.

The third movie might as well not even exist.

Where is the true SE of the original Poltergeist from WB? Sad they didn't put any real movie related extras on the current BD.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 10-10-16 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Official list of extras for To Live and Die in LA

We're happy to share the final list of bonus features for To Live and Die in L.A. (Collector's Edition) on Blu-ray! Out November 22, you can pre-order now at: http://bit.ly/LiveAndDieLA
- NEW 4K scan of the negative - supervised and approved by William Friedkin
- NEW Taking a Chance - an interview with William Petersen
- NEW Wrong Way: The Stunts of To Live & Die In L.A. - an interview with stunt coordinator Buddy Joe Hooker
- NEW So In Phase: Scoring To Live & Die in L.A. - an interview with the band Wang Chung (Jack Hues and Nick Feldman)
- NEW Renaissance Woman in L.A. – an interview with actress Debra Feuer
- NEW Doctor for A Day – an interview with actor Dwier Brown
- Audio Commentary with director William Friedkin
- Deleted scene and alternate ending
- Counterfeit World: The Making of To Live and Die in L.A.
- Still Gallery
- Theatrical Trailer
- Radio Spot
Old 10-10-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

"Supervised and approved by William Friedkin" might not be a good thing, sadly.
Old 10-10-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm glad they got William Petersen. I'm willing to bet this interview was shot at the same time he filmed the interview for Manhunter.
Old 10-10-16, 06:51 PM

Good movie? What's it about without spoilers?
Old 10-10-16, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Good movie? What's it about without spoilers?
Synopsis

"Searing Action, Nonstop Powerful… A Superbly Realized Film." – The Hollywood Reporter

William Petersen (Manhunter) and Willem Dafoe (John Wick) face off in a deadly game of cat and mouse in this "riveting" (The New York Times) action-thriller from the Oscar-winning director of The French Connection. This raw tale of corruption and revenge features one of the most harrowing car chases ever caught on film and a shockingly explosive ending.

Federal agent Richard Chance (Petersen) has a score to settle, and he's through playing by the rules. Whether that means blackmailing a beautiful parolee, disobeying direct orders or hurtling the wrong way down a crowded freeway, he vows to take down a murderous counterfeiter (Dafoe) by any means necessary. But as the stakes grow higher, will chance's obsession with vengeance ultimately destroy him?
Old 10-10-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't forget Wang Chung.
Old 10-10-16, 07:03 PM

Sounds great. Love TFC and most of Freidkin's stuff...
Old 10-10-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
"Supervised and approved by William Friedkin" might not be a good thing, sadly.
I don't know, maybe not. Apparently the master of the film and the pressing of the discs were night and day different. Even Friedkin concedes it looked horrible.

He goes into detail here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...lmmaking-today
Old 10-10-16, 08:56 PM

Wow. So how do I know if I got corrected copy? I think I may have bought at BB, but really not sure...
Old 10-10-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I might pick up POLTERGEIST II since that is a worthy sequel. Watching POLTERGEIST III once on the double feature was enough for me.
Old 10-11-16, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I don't know, maybe not. Apparently the master of the film and the pressing of the discs were night and day different. Even Friedkin concedes it looked horrible.

Many people called BS on that in the past. I tend to agree: http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/fr...y-controversy/
Old 10-12-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

***DEAD RINGERS & RABID Update***
We're extremely proud to announce the final list of extras and specs for our first two David Cronenberg films on Blu-ray! Both will release next month.
DEAD RINGERS (Collector's Edition)
Disc 1
- High-Definition Transfer Of The Film (1.78:1 Aspect Ratio)
- NEW Audio Commentary With Writer William Beard, Author Of The Artist As Monster: The Cinema Of David Cronenberg
Audio Commentary With Actor Jeremy Irons
Disc 2
- NEW 2K Scan At The Director's Preferred Aspect Ratio (1.66:1)
- NEW Carey's Story – An Interview With Heidi Von Palleske
- NEW Working Artist – An Interview With Stephen Lack
- NEW Connecting Tissues – An Interview With Special Effects Artist Gordon Smith
- NEW Double Vision – An Interview With Director Of Photography Peter Suschitzky
- Vintage interviews With Jeremy Irons, Director/Co-writer David Cronenberg, Producer Marc Boyman And Co-writer Norman Snider
- Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
- Original Theatrical Trailer
Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/dead-...r-s-edi… Includes early shipping and a limited-edition 18" x 24" poster of the newly-illustrated artwork (only while supplies last)
RABID (Collector's Edition)
- NEW 2K Scan From The Negative At Director David Cronenberg’s Preferred Aspect Ratio (1.66:1)
- - NEW Audio Interview With Author Jill C. Nelson (Golden Goddesses: 25 Legendary Women Of Classic Erotic Cinema, 1968-1985) And Marilyn Chambers' Personal Appearances Manager Ken Leicht
- NEW Young And Rabid – An Interview With Actress Susan Roman
- Audio Commentary With Writer/Director David Cronenberg
- Audio Commentary With William Beard, Author Of The Artist As Monster: The Cinema Of David Cronenberg
- Archival Interview With David Cronenberg
- Interview With Executive Producer Ivan Reitman
- Interview With Co-producer Don Carmody
- From Stereo To Video – A Video Essay By Caelum Vatnsdal, Author Of They Came From Within: A History Of Canadian Horror Cinema
- Original Theatrical Trailer And TV Spot
- Radio Spots (U.S. And U.K.)
- Still Gallery
Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/fi…/r...ctor-s-edition Includes early shipping and a limited-edition 18" x 24" poster of the newly-illustrated artwork (only while supplies last)
Old 10-12-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. So how do I know if I got corrected copy? I think I may have bought at BB, but really not sure...
If you have the "Filmmaker's Signature Series" edition, then it's the corrected version.
Old 10-12-16, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws
If you have the "Filmmaker's Signature Series" edition, then it's the corrected version.
Oh good. I've got the right one. Thanks.
Old 10-13-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes

William Friedkin's grasp of truth and facts is about as reliable as a certain Presidential candidate that his voice happens to sound a lot like.

On the original, purple-tinted Blu-ray edition of The French Connection, there's a featurette in the bonus features called "Color Timing" where Friedkin describes the process used to give the movie "pastel" colors. The featurette shows before-and-after clips, and Friedkin raves about how amazing the version with glowing faces and purple skin tones is. He says that he absolutely loves it, that it looks better than the original theatrical release ever did, and that it's exactly what he always wanted.

When that Blu-ray was released and people complained about it, Friedkin was very argumentative and insisted that the disc looked great. When the film's own cinematographer contradicted him, Friedkin insulted him in a podcast interview and very nearly called him incompetent.

Only years later did Friedkin change his story. When the later "Filmmaker's Signature Series" Blu-ray was released, that disc had a new video transfer approved by both Friedkin and cinematographer Owen Roizman. The new transfer has normal colors, and looks almost identical to the "Before" clips in the former Color Timing featurette (which of course did not make the transition to the new Blu-ray).

At that time, Friedkin started up with the new story that the old Blu-ray was somebody else's screw-up and never represented what he wanted. This is in direct contradiction to the video featurette that shows him watching the purple-tinted transfer and raving about it.
Old 10-13-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I know that featurette would've made no sense on the new disc, considering it didn't have his new color timing, but I sorta wish they would have carried it over. Mostly to show how bizarre his idea was and how bad it looked, but also to prevent him from having deniability over the whole thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.