Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

$50... Is that about normal for a Shout Double Feature? Seems a bit high.
Old 06-11-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/ac...-action-figure

$79.99 on the Shout website. Includes the following extras:

This Exclusive Limited Edition contains:

An exclusive, limited edition 8" tall Rufus action figure by NECA
An exclusive, limited edition 18" x 24" lithograph of the newly-designed art from artist Paul Shipper (this lithograph will ship rolled, in a poster tube)
Two 6" x 4" Bill & Ted stickers
A Wild Stallyns guitar pick
Early shipping to arrive two weeks before the national street date

Blu-Ray Extras are TBA
Old 06-12-16, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
$50... Is that about normal for a Shout Double Feature? Seems a bit high.
Could be the cost of getting the rights and then producing new extras. Their other double features IIRC have been low rent horror movies.
Old 06-12-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

The non-limited edition has a MSRP of $49.99 and is currently for sale on Shout Factory for $39.99:
https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/ac...ent-collection

The Amazon listing may be for the limited edition.
Old 06-12-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
First things first, why Scream / Shout continue to focus on tons and tons of extras is beyond me. That's all fine, but their absolute FIRST priority should be to give us a stellar transfer and top-notch encode in every release. It seems that they're going gangbusters on focusing on extras at the notable and obvious expense of a top-notch transfer.
Absolutely THIS.

It's probably cheaper to get somebody to talk and rant, and ramble, about whatever than to actually dedicate funds to a pristine transfer.

I see a lot more "Well, we tried." Not just from SF, but from TT as well. For SF, I think their marketing mission is the thought that extras are the #1 selling leader, and load the sucker up with extras, and if the less-than-good transfer gets a bad rap, oh well, THE EXTRAS!

We can't prove this, as we don't have access to their sales.

I never was a fan of extras. Like you, and especially when we're talking expensive titles and companies that movie lovers like us TRUST to do a great job...I want the priority going to the movie.

If we could get a company that could do a bottom line $15 per title, just an excellent transfer, no extras, I'd be fine. Almost like a Kino title, I suppose but with a guaranteed max of $15 per title. I'd be buying $150 every few months if not, every month.
Old 06-12-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

New transfers cost more money than special features and often even licensing the original film elements is an unworkable nightmare.
Old 06-13-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wouldn't that depend on the condition of the elements? I'd assume that you're at the mercy of what you get.
Old 06-13-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
New transfers cost more money than special features and often even licensing the original film elements is an unworkable nightmare.
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Wouldn't that depend on the condition of the elements? I'd assume that you're at the mercy of what you get.
I think PhantomStranger was suggesting that a new transfer, regardless of any amount of additional restoration needed afterwards, is going to be more expensive than most special features. Just the act of scanning in the film is time and labor intensive.
Old 06-13-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The condition of the film elements normally play a minor role in the overall cost. The biggest cost is often licensing the best available elements themselves from their owners, which may or may not be the same as the actual rights holder. A label like Scream Factory doesn't own original elements, they are always at the mercy of others.
Old 06-13-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A label like Scream Factory doesn't own original elements, they are always at the mercy of others.
Of course this is often true. It seems like a better compressionist would help in these cases. Scream Factory is notably lacking in this department. Rumors have arisen that they simply don't want to spend the money on a better encoder software package, a professional one. Yet, they *will* and have spent the money on so many needless extras and fluff.

If they truly loved these niche films (hell, THE THING is not even niche by this point), they, like Blue Underground and Arrow, would either forego titles until better elements could be procured, or not release at all.

That is not, the more 'business-like', or profit-loving motive, but if they really cared and were true aficionados of these films, they would concentrate their efforts most acutely on producing good picture quality films at the expense of all else
Old 06-13-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Of course this is often true. It seems like a better compressionist would help in these cases. Scream Factory is notably lacking in this department. Rumors have arisen that they simply don't want to spend the money on a better encoder software package, a professional one. Yet, they *will* and have spent the money on so many needless extras and fluff.
I haven't watched a ton of Scream Factory releases lately (the same goes for a bunch of labels; just not enough hours in the day anymore), but I thought the authoring of Army of Darkness (the international cut, anyway) was well done. Maybe they're moving in the right direction?
Old 06-13-16, 07:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Summer sale started today, Army of Darkness for $17.99 is today's "deal".
http://summeroffear.com/sof/Scream3_1_WJIEH.html
Old 06-13-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be watching these Scream deals each day to see what I can pair with one of the other titles on sale. Some decent choices.
Old 06-13-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If they truly loved these niche films (hell, THE THING is not even niche by this point), they, like Blue Underground and Arrow, would either forego titles until better elements could be procured, or not release at all.

That is not, the more 'business-like', or profit-loving motive, but if they really cared and were true aficionados of these films, they would concentrate their efforts most acutely on producing good picture quality films at the expense of all else
Lionsgate has been using the same mediocre compression since 2009. Most distributors outside the major Hollywood studios have to nickel and dime everything to make niche catalog titles profitable.

Outside of Japan, the only label that seems to care about compression transparency is Arrow Video.
Old 06-14-16, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I'll be watching these Scream deals each day to see what I can pair with one of the other titles on sale. Some decent choices.
They have the entire sale listed over at blu-ray.com. Some guy got a piece every time he pulled it up and listed it. Easier to plan what to order that way.

I don't see why they just don't throw everything for sale all at the same time so people can order all at once and save on shipping. The one thing I can't stand about Scream Factory's sales is they usually piecemeal them out over the course of several weeks and you can't just combine everything you want into one order.
Old 06-14-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
They have the entire sale listed over at blu-ray.com. Some guy got a piece every time he pulled it up and listed it. Easier to plan what to order that way.

I don't see why they just don't throw everything for sale all at the same time so people can order all at once and save on shipping. The one thing I can't stand about Scream Factory's sales is they usually piecemeal them out over the course of several weeks and you can't just combine everything you want into one order.
Where is this list? Your link just takes me to the page and I don't see an item. Did they pull it down?
Old 06-14-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Where is this list? Your link just takes me to the page and I don't see an item. Did they pull it down?
Here's the post from Blu-Ray.com:

Originally Posted by deltatauhobbit
Army of Darkness - $17.99
Death Becomes Her - $17.99
Village of the Damned - $17.99
Serpent and the Rainbow - $17.99
Larry Fessenden Collection - $45.99
Species 2 - $16.99
Disturbing Behavior - $14.99
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - $17.99
Vincent Price Collection 3 - $39.99
The Guardian - $16.99
Curse/Curse 2 - $14.99
Cherry Falls - $14.99
Destroyer/Edge of Sanity - $14.99
Jack's Back - $16.99

Sun Screams:
The Babadook - $14.99
Bloodsucking Bastards - $6.99
Food of the Gods/Frogs - $13.99
Murders in the Rue Morgue/Dunwich Horror - $14.99
Prince of Darkness - $14.99
Sonny Boy - $12.99
Zombie Fight Club - $4.99
Old 06-14-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

That's a whole lotta meh.

There are, maybe, two or three titles there I would be interested in, but they won't be on sale at the same time, so I won'tbqualify for free shipping (do they even have free shipping for this sale?).

So much of the stuff Scream has been putting out lately feels like $5 bin stuff that I can't really get too excited about their sales.
Old 06-14-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah there's not really a whole lot of interest to me from that selection either. There are some there but overall most of it I can wait on.
Old 06-14-16, 12:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Today it's Serpent and the Rainbow, $18.99
Old 06-14-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scream did a really solid effort with The Dunwich Horror.

http://doblu.com/2016/03/31/dunwich-...lu-ray-review/
Old 06-14-16, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Agreed that DUNWICH looks great! Organic look, and film grain is intact, very few artifacts.
Old 06-15-16, 09:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..Dunwich Horror is a great little movie from the seventies..i saw this in the theater when it came out, it really takes me back..
Old 06-20-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Today's "Summer of Fear" title is "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2", and the other 7 "Sun Scream" titles are in play.
Old 06-20-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I missed the sale on Species 2, so I passed on the Species double feature that was on sale. Hopefully, these same movies go on sale in October or if there is a July 4th sale maybe a site-wide discount will have me picking them up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.