Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Is Fantastic Four part of his library?
Old 03-16-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Is Fantastic Four part of his library?
Yea, Fantastic Four (1994) was produced by Corman. However, it was never officially released. It's out in circulation as a bootleg.

Also, there might be rights issues with Marvel that might prevent it from getting an official release.
Old 03-16-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

If Shout is doing a lot of Universal titles right now, I wish they could do a Problem Child Double Feature or Baseketball with Extras.
Old 03-16-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yea, Fantastic Four (1994) was produced by Corman. However, it was never officially released. It's out in circulation as a bootleg.

Also, there might be rights issues with Marvel that might prevent it from getting an official release.

Yep.

I know all that.
Probably should have been more specific and say I hope it comes out as part of the deal.
Old 03-16-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

Shout released that crappy 1990 Captain America film so who knows.
Old 03-17-18, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, FF is owned by Disney now. No way the Corman version will ever get an official release.

Disney/Fox Merger Will Bring the Fantastic Four Back to Marvel After All
Old 03-17-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I’m pretty sure Corman was just a hired gun and never had any ownsership stake in FF. That movie was made so Bernd Eichinger could retain the film rights, which he still controlled at least through the 2005-2007 films (he died in 2011, Not sure if his estate was involved with Fan4stic).

There are likely several Corman films he was involved with that are not part of this deal, like It Conquered the World, which Susan Hart has on lockdown.
Old 03-17-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by goblin23
Nope, FF is owned by Disney now. No way the Corman version will ever get an official release.

That 1990 Captain America was released by Shout not that long ago. It was definitely after the MCU started, I want to say maybe same year Civil War came out (2016). It’s unlikely but not sure if it’s entirely out of the realm of possibility.
Old 03-17-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

1990 Captain America wasn't a Corman production. It was made by 21st Century Entertainment. A super low budget film company.
Old 03-17-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

The main question about Fantastic Four (1994) is who owns the rights, both ownership and distribution.

Marvel can't explicitly stop it from being released, due to the fact that it was made under a valid license from Marvel. However, if Bernd Eichinger transferred the rights to Fox when Fox picked up the license, and Disney buys Fox, then it's unlikely to see an official release.
Old 03-19-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
1990 Captain America wasn't a Corman production. It was made by 21st Century Entertainment. A super low budget film company.
I’m not saying that it was made by Corman. Just that it’s another film Shout acquired that’s a Marvel character and a film that Disney/Marvel Studios probably rather not have see the light of day (especially considering they’ve been actively using Captain America in the MCU).

I wouldn’t think if Shout wants to release the Corman Fantastic Four that it would be more of a problem seeing as how Disney/Marvel Studios hasn’t technically even gotten the rights to the characters yet.
Old 03-19-18, 10:10 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23

Disney doesn't own anything yet. The deal hasn't happened as of now, and could be a while before it does.
Old 03-19-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't see how a Shout release could make the actual Cap movies any better. They are terrible as movies, and that should be all that matters. Sometimes I feel like you guys will buy anything they slap a "Collector's Edition" label they put on!
Old 03-20-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never bought Captain America (1990) but I'd consider the Corman Fantastic Four. I actually don’t think it’s completely horrible if it’s taken as a cheesy B movie. Not great but kinda fun for what it is.
Old 04-04-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Scream Factory will be releasing In the Mouth of Madness, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, and Someone is Watching Me:

A wave of more John Carpenter films comes crashing into Scream Factory on July 24th! Two make their blu-ray debuts and another highly-requested one receives a serious upgrade. Extras will be announced at a later date but here are the details we have at this time...

IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS (1995)

Sutter Cane (Jürgen Prochnow, Dune, The Seventh Sign) is the best-selling author whose newest novel is literally driving readers insane. When he inexplicably vanishes, his publisher (Charlton Heston, Soylent Green, Planet Of The Apes) sends special investigator John Trent (Sam Neill, Daybreakers, Dead Calm) to track him down. Drawn to a town that exists only in Cane's books, Trent crosses the barrier between fact and fiction and enters a terrifying world from which there is no escape. Inspired by the tales of H.P. Lovecraft, this shocking story is, in the words of its acclaimed director, "horror beyond description!"

• This will be branded as a “Collector’s Edition” that will come with a slipcover (guaranteed for three months after its original release date). U.S. and Canada territories (Region A).

• The newly-commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from Joel Robinson (Firestarter, Rabid, Species, Drag Me to Hell). This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will the original theatrical poster.

• Extras and specs are still in progress and will be announced at a later date. However, we can confirm today that we will be doing a brand-new film transfer!

Pre-order now for early shipping directly from us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=6770 Plus, you will also receive an 18' x 24" rolled poster of the newly-commissioned art. The posters are made at a limited quantity so act fast.

SOMEONE’S WATCHING ME (1978)
Los Angeles newcomer Leigh Michaels (Lauren Hutton) moves into a chic high-rise apartment building. She loves the view. So does the Peeping Tom who lives somewhere in the adjacent tower. For Leigh, it's the beginning of terrors that escalate from anonymous calls and gifts to lights that mysteriously flicker to prove that someone watches every moment of her life. Leigh fights back, matching her tormentor's obsession with her own relentless drive to uncover his identity. The prey is now predator – and that escalates the stalker's game to a deadly new level. Someone is watching. Also starring Adrienne Barbeau and Charles Cyphers.

MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN (1992)

The laughs and visual effects are out of sight when Chevy Chase headlines Memoirs of an Invisible Man. Invisibility makes it easier to spy on agents (particularly chief adversary Sam Neill) who've put him in his predicament. And he can romance a lovely documentary producer (Daryl Hannah) in a way she's never "seen" before. John Carpenter directs and Industrial Light and Magic create eye-opening effects as Nick embarks on his manic quest. Seeing is believing!
Old 04-04-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Nice - definitely in for Memoirs of an Invisible Man.
Old 04-04-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

In The Mouth Of Madness could REALLY benefit from a new audio commentary, either by Carpenter or someone else. His track with DP Gary Kibbe on the old DVD is one of his worst. Perhaps with hindsight -- or a moderator -- he'd have more interesting things to say about it.
Old 04-04-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

ITMOM is a must-buy for me. I never got around to getting it on DVD or blu-ray.
Old 04-04-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently almost picked u the current BD of ITMOM. Glad I held off!

Not sure about the other two. If the discs get good reviews the completest in me may come out. Might be the only Carpenter films I don't already have. Most of them from Scream!
Old 04-08-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I'll buy whatever Carpenter they put on Blu.
This leaves three films not yet released in the US?
Old 04-08-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Can't wait to pick up Someone's Watching Me!, as that's one of the few Carpenter movies I haven't seen (the other ones being Elvis, The Ward, and Dark Star)...

Have always loved the underrated Memoirs of an Invisible Man, so I'm hoping that there's some special features on that one...I know the press release doesn't indicate any, but I'd kill to have a Carpenter commentary on that one...I know he wasn't really happy making that movie, as he had a different view on how to balance the whole comedy/horror angle...And I don't think he got along very well with Chevy Chase...The effects are really great, though, and hold up very well...Sam Neill also made an awesome villain...

In the Mouth of Madness, I still find a little, little bit overrated, but it's still a solid entree in Carpenter's filmography, so I'm looking forward to this one...I already own the previous Blu-Ray, which already has a pretty good transfer...I concur that I'd hope for a brand-new commentary, as the one on the current disc just doesn't hold up to Carpenter's usual standards...It'd be great if they could track down Sam Neill and have him sit in on a new commentary track...

It'd be neat if Scream released The Ward...
Old 04-08-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

That's an ugly-assed cover for ITMOM.

I might have to print out this custom cover for it.
Old 04-08-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's an ugly-assed cover for ITMOM.

I might have to print out this custom cover for it.
I like that custom one -- like one of the paperback covers in the film.
Old 04-08-18, 06:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i'll probably get all 3 if decent enough extras...
Old 04-08-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i'll probably get all 3 if decent enough extras...
I think Somebody is Watching Me and Memoirs will be "movie only" versions. Madness will have a few NEW extras and the original commentary. There used to be an EPK on the laserdisc version that I don't think has ever been ported over to the Sd or even BD of the film. I may be wrong, though. It focused on the monsters with KNB.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.