DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Toy Story 1 and 2 03/23/2010 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/566284-toy-story-1-2-03-23-2010-a.html)

Gizmo 03-24-10 11:00 PM

Re: Toy Story 1 and 2 03/23/2010

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10069162)
Then they should be buying a version with the DVD only. Or is that OOP now?

I guess if you had a BD player, but you were going to buy nothing but certain Disney titles on BD, you might want the DVD cases for consistency with your DVDs. I just don't know if anyone fits that description. Anyone with a modest BD collection has to accept the smaller cases (unless you make a lot of custom cases).

Or, is this a case (pardon the pun) where the version in the DVD case is marketed as a DVD with a BD included, rather than the other way around? I suppose then it might be useful to keep DVD-only people from avoiding this release because they don't know the DVD is included.

The regular DVD is now OOP. As of this week Disney is only going to seel DVD + BD or BD + DVD cases. That's it. It's a great scam to get people to buy Blu-ray discs when they don't have a player, raise prices (once these coupon expire), and all the sales numbers count for Blu-ray only (so the Year over Year Blu-ray numbers continue to rise).

biglou114 03-24-10 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10069593)
The regular DVD is now OOP. As of this week Disney is only going to seel DVD + BD or BD + DVD cases. That's it. It's a great scam to get people to buy Blu-ray discs when they don't have a player, raise prices (once these coupon expire), and all the sales numbers count for Blu-ray only (so the Year over Year Blu-ray numbers continue to rise).

Actually there is a Double Disc DVD (for both) being released May 11.

Snowmaker 03-25-10 11:44 AM

My Toys R Us was restocked today with both movies in both types of cases.

AmityBoatTours 03-26-10 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10069593)

well if a dvd only person who wanted these titles hadnt allready purchased them from one of the several dvd releases done for these in the past and they now all the sudden must have toy story in there collection. They really shouldnt be complaining that they are getting the bluray as well.

they should just be glad disney is catering to them by even offering them a dvd release at the same time.

tylergfoster 03-26-10 11:59 PM

Bought Toy Story Blu-Ray case and Toy Story 2 DVD case at Target. Took the unopened Toy Story 2 to a Fred Meyer and exchanged it for the BD version. No problems. Looks stunning, too.

bluetoast 03-27-10 10:17 AM

Love the Studio Stories and the Paths to Pixar. Quick question: Are the commentaries new or were they released on a previous edition?

Gizmo 03-27-10 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10073807)
well if a dvd only person who wanted these titles hadnt allready purchased them from one of the several dvd releases done for these in the past and they now all the sudden must have toy story in there collection. They really shouldnt be complaining that they are getting the bluray as well.

they should just be glad disney is catering to them by even offering them a dvd release at the same time.

The previous DVDs were OOP (a few times with several releases). Not everyone jumps on a release when they come out and since it's a kids movie they are bound to get destroyed/lost faster. New kids are born every day, and Toy Story for many young parents is the movie they probably grew up with. I know if I had a kid I would be getting Toy Story, Lion King, Aladdin and skipping on the 'classics' like Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty etc.

DVD is still the lionshare for studios. Day and Dates are getting bigger on Blu-ray, but catalog has always been more miss then a hit (in terms of sales). Catering to DVD owners is making them more money and they are not just going to stop doing that. Just look at how many times studio skip up Blu-ray releases for new DVD catalog titles (or Theatrical releases - where is The Descent 2?). The world is very much still DVD and likely will be for a long, long time. You should really look at the weekly Blu-ray numbers and see how many people are still buying DVDs.

Joe Schmoe 03-27-10 10:34 AM

I bought both of them at Toys R Us for $16.02, then I bought them both at Target for $5.42. When I returned the ones I bought at Toys R Us, the clerk gave me $16.02 in cash and a $20 gift card!

bluetoast 03-27-10 10:35 AM

Skip over Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio? Gizmo!

Gizmo 03-27-10 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 10074249)
Skip over Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio? Gizmo!

Well, I guess if I wanted to put myself to sleep I might watch one of them...

Travis McClain 03-27-10 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10074242)
The previous DVDs were OOP (a few times with several releases). Not everyone jumps on a release when they come out and since it's a kids movie they are bound to get destroyed/lost faster. New kids are born every day, and Toy Story for many young parents is the movie they probably grew up with.

The DVD sub-forum is full of threads arguing that "DVD is good enough for me" for a great many posters here. And if a site like this is full of people who haven't been sold on going Blu, you can better believe that the masses aren't there yet, either.

Gizmo is definitely right about how important it is to remember the age of the movie and the folks buying it now. For a lot of them, they had Toy Story on VHS as kids, and then went through a chris_sc77 phase where they felt they'd outgrown animation and looked down on the movie, which is why they didn't buy either of the last two DVD issues. Now, enough time has passed that they've become nostalgic and decided to add the movie to their DVD libraries. Maybe for themselves, maybe for their own kids.

Also, don't forget about the "Must Have the Most Up-to-Date Version" crowd. Even if they don't have Blu-ray players--and there's really no call for passing judgment on them for not owning them, as though they've forfeit their right to have a DVD release--there are still people who have bought the last two DVD releases and would gladly have triple-dipped even without the added Blu-ray disc.

Anyway, like I've said, Disney's release model seems to be that any of their Blu-ray/DVD combos for movies that were released before Blu-ray will be released in both packages. It's really rather smart on Disney's part, because there are bound to be a lot of parents who aren't as product-savvy as the members of this forum who wouldn't even realize there was a DVD disc packaged in the Blu-ray combo if all they saw was a Blu-ray package. They're trying to nudge folks toward Blu-ray, and I think they've been wise to offer both packaging versions.

WMAangel 03-27-10 12:59 PM

Well, this week at TRU I finally found out what happens when you have coupons worth more than the cost of the items....

(Back story: Last Tuesday the 16th, I had pre-ordered both TS titles to take advantage of the $15 off any other Disney title with "The Princess And The Frog" BD combo pack....long story short, the cashier rang it up incorrectly, and I ended up walking out with the POTF BD and both TS pre-orders for only $2.59 after tax...)

Anyway, I went back to the TRU store on Tuesday to pick up the two BD-sized case Toy Story releases, which luckily they had correctly set aside in a back room for the pre-order (sorry to hear about other people who incorrectly got the DVD packaging)....I had both $10 off coupons for each title ready to go, and fully expected to pay the $1.99 + tax price for each after everything was accounted for (16.99 price each for buying both - $5 off for the pre-order deposit - $10 off manufacturer coupon)....turns out their computer systems were for some reason taking an additional $5 off when the pre-order cards were scanned for the remaining balance! That left them with only $18.98 as a remaining balance BEFORE the $20 in manufacturers coupons were used! The cashier said that they were taking both coupons, but could only use $8.98 of value (from the $10) on the second coupon, as sales tax still needed to be paid....bottom line: I only had to pay $1.20 in sales tax, and I was out the door with both for essentially "free"!!

So in two weeks at TRU, I got three BD combos for a grand total of $3.79 in cash out of pocket....I don't think it will be possible for me to get any better deal the rest of 2010.... :lol:

Dacoops3 03-27-10 04:36 PM

I was only able to find the Toy Story 2 in the DVD packaging at Target. Any chance they will get the Blu cases in so I can exchange or is there another place that will let me just exchange it for the Blu packaging? Thanks!

zombeaner 03-27-10 04:41 PM

I had to go to a couple of Targets to get matching cases, but they did let me exchange the DVD case version, I hadn't opened it.

Boba Fett 03-27-10 08:27 PM

Eh, I must be the only one happy with the DVD case packaging. That's all they had at my Target, and my Snow White Blu-Ray from Costco was DVD packaging, so I honestly didn't care.

shaun3000 03-27-10 10:05 PM

It's still got a Blu-ray inside, right? Same excellent picture and sound, same features? Then who cares what the damn packaging looks like?!

Mr. Salty 03-27-10 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by shaun3000 (Post 10074980)
Then who cares what the damn packaging looks like?!

:wave: I do.

Schloob1 03-27-10 11:57 PM

It's still got a Blu-ray inside, right? Same excellent picture and sound, same features? Then who cares what the damn packaging looks like?!

Me too, simple fact is then where do you put your new Blu in a dvd case you just bought since the shelf for all your Blu's is too short to fit it. TOTALLY defeats the purpose, it's not what the packaging looks like but the SIZE of it obviously.

Travis McClain 03-28-10 12:09 AM

After just a few Blus, I began to associate the translucent blue case with the newer, more exciting Blu-Ray format and opaque black Amaray case with the less spectacular DVD format. Since Disney offered me a choice, I see no reason why I or anyone else should have to defend making a selection based on our own preference.

AmityBoatTours 03-28-10 02:10 AM

Iam finding it really funny how many people over on the disney movie rewards facebook page are bragging about some of the scams they are pulling to get these for pretty much free.
several people actually mention that they made a copy of both 10.00 coupons took them to bestbuy or walmart bought two copies of each movie, turned around a few hours latter and returned one of each movie so that works out that they got 20.00 off in coupons on each movie ontop of the buy both togeather get 10.00 of promo.

funny how people are openly bragging about commiting coupon fraud on disney movie rewards official face book page, considering their posts are under their first and last names lol

shaun3000 03-28-10 10:05 AM

Why would they do that when they were two legit coupons ($5 and $10) out there? I got both movies from Toys R Us for $4 without committing any kind of fraud.

Schloob1, good point.

Schloob1 03-28-10 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10075237)
funny how people are openly bragging about commiting coupon fraud on disney movie rewards official face book page, considering their posts are under their first and last names lol

rotfl That's a riot, that obviously takes one of two things. Either a nice set of you know what's, or just plain stupidity. Personally I'm guessing the latter of course :)

Iron_Giant 03-28-10 12:05 PM

I was final able to go home (away for a week becuase of work) and watch Toy Story 2 (Toy Story will be watched later).

WOW! It is the best VQ I have every seen on my HDTV. I zoomed in and there was still perfection on the screen. Zooming in on other Blu-ray movies have shown grain and muted colors, but not so with TS2.

Completely clean is another discription I have to give the Video. No grain at all, bright or dark. Since it came directly from the digital source, I would not expect any dirt, specks or hair floating around.

Color were much brighter than I remembered, I am going to put the DVD in and do some screen by screen comparision.

My son watched for a minute and said "Wow, that is good".

I do not believe in Double Dipping, but dang this is one time I am glad I upgraded my 8 year DVD to Blu-Ray.

Anyone else have any other experiences they want to share about the VQ on their HDTVs.

Gizmo 03-28-10 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 10075237)
Iam finding it really funny how many people over on the disney movie rewards facebook page are bragging about some of the scams they are pulling to get these for pretty much free.
several people actually mention that they made a copy of both 10.00 coupons took them to bestbuy or walmart bought two copies of each movie, turned around a few hours latter and returned one of each movie so that works out that they got 20.00 off in coupons on each movie ontop of the buy both togeather get 10.00 of promo.

Well, the blame is on Disney who keeps making these coupon so readily available. The past year many animated Combo releases have been practically free.

TomOpus 03-28-10 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant (Post 10075532)
Anyone else have any other experiences they want to share about the VQ on their HDTVs.

Any Pixar is pretty much perfection. As good as Toy Story is A Bug's Life really blew me away.