DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Toy Story 1 and 2 03/23/2010 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/566284-toy-story-1-2-03-23-2010-a.html)

Travis McClain 03-23-10 09:51 PM

Re: Toy Story 1 and 2 03/23/2010

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10066999)
I don't think any of this coupon 'stacking' is abuse, as some of you are claiming. The fine print on almost every coupon says 'only one coupon per item'.

Yeah, but the fine print also regularly reads, "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer." I'm no legal expert, but I would think a second coupon counts here. Also, just to clarify: I have no problem with folks getting lucky and finding those cashiers and managers that process these transactions. It's the boasting about it that I worry about leading to the cessation of these coupons.

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 (Post 10067097)
As far as how these things look in action, I think Toy Story 1 and 2 are both top notch.

Just watched 'em both. Granted, it had been about a year or so, but wow! Having recently re-watched WALL-E on Blu-ray, the first one looked especially primitive, but great nonetheless. There were several scenes and settings in the second one that looked nearly photorealistic. They did an amazing job with these.

whotony 03-23-10 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10067146)
Yeah, but the fine print also regularly reads, "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer." I'm no legal expert, but I would think a second coupon counts here. Also, just to clarify: I have no problem with folks getting lucky and finding those cashiers and managers that process these transactions. It's the boasting about it that I worry about leading to the cessation of these coupons.

Just watched 'em both. Granted, it had been about a year or so, but wow! Having recently re-watched WALL-E on Blu-ray, the first one looked especially primitive, but great nonetheless. There were several scenes and settings in the second one that looked nearly photorealistic. They did an amazing job with these.

I picked up PatF last week with the TS 1/2 preorder and walked out the door paying $1.98+.
today I walked out the door with TS 1/2 after paying $3.98 +.

Thanks Disney and Toys r Us.

Giles 03-23-10 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 10042403)
Man, that opening scene of TS2 is gonna looks so good!

not only does it look good, but the DTS-ES matrixed 6.1 sound in the opening scene is amazing. The panning of the sound is remarkable. I also like how the mixers utilized all the front channels for dialog, notably during the sequence just before 'crossing the road' - Buzz and friends are mulling it over and some of the characters voices are placed in the phantom spaces between the center and left/right speakers (depending on where they are standing) - why can't all soundmixes sound THIS good??

AmityBoatTours 03-24-10 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D. (Post 10065820)
Well I got to the West Hollywood store at 9 and they had one copy of both films left in the BD cases that I was able to pick up. They must have had more in back.

must have been at the bottom of the cart of movies that the electronics workers were sorting through and loading into the plastic security clamshells. You got lucky. Those people behind me at store opening werent so thrilled when they were told there wasnt any others besides what was on the shelf.

I got mine and my frys price match along with my 2 ten dollar off coupons and my generic target 3 dollar off any item over 5.00 in the store coupon.

AmityBoatTours 03-24-10 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 10066956)
I did notice on part 1 there are things called Toy Story Treats (or something along those lines) that are just short little animated things between the characters, obviously done with different voice actors for Woody and Buzz. Not sure what they were originally for but there's a ton of them.

Glad to hear they are onthis release, i was afraid they wouldnt be, Toy Story treats were short little commercial break bumpers played durring abc saturday morning line up shortly after toy story came out.

It intresting to note the voice of woody in the toy story treats is done by tom hanks brother

NiCK Crush 03-24-10 03:01 AM

has anyone redeemed their DMR codes on these titles yet? Do type it in as normal and then type it in again for the movie ticket?

Travis McClain 03-24-10 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 10067561)
has anyone redeemed their DMR codes on these titles yet? Do type it in as normal and then type it in again for the movie ticket?

You only enter it once. If you entered the code for the $10 coupons, you remember how a page just automatically opened linking you to them? Same thing here. If for some reason it doesn't happen, you can view the movie ticket offer in your My Account page. By the way, in case you're unaware, when you request your movie ticket, you have to select the theater where you intend to see the movie. If you're not sure yet, you can just wait until you know before submitting your request. Also, you'll have the choice of either printing directly from the web, or saving your movie ticket as a .pdf file.

I saved mine as a .pdf, and thought it was interesting to note that above the coupon, the paper reads:

Simply detach the certicate and present at any participating theater. Certicate must be used in one transaction and is void after use. Valid at any showing including those designated as "no coupons, no passes" in local theater listing guides. Certicate is valid through August 31, 2010 (by 11:59 PM Eastern Time) for Disney•Pixar’s Toy Story 3

I'm not going to cut out my coupon; I'm taking them the whole sheet so I can point to the terms of use.

NiCK Crush 03-24-10 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10067562)
You only enter it once. If you entered the code for the $10 coupons, you remember how a page just automatically opened linking you to them? Same thing here. If for some reason it doesn't happen, you can view the movie ticket offer in your My Account page. By the way, in case you're unaware, when you request your movie ticket, you have to select the theater where you intend to see the movie. If you're not sure yet, you can just wait until you know before submitting your request. Also, you'll have the choice of either printing directly from the web, or saving your movie ticket as a .pdf file.

Great, thanks for the info!

Travis McClain 03-24-10 03:53 AM

Incidentally, now that the dust seems to be settling from all the purchasing questions and comments, I have some remarks about the movies themselves (which my wife and I watched tonight).

We'd just re-watched WALL-E last week, and man, Toy Story looked outright primitive! And yet, for that story and its tone, I don't think more detail is necessary. The texture of Slink's ears kept catching my eye. It never occurred to me just how odd it was for Andy to re-decorate his room from the Woody stuff to the Buzz stuff with a week to go before moving, and I never really noticed just how empty their moving van is. They're not terribly important, of course, but I did notice them this time. Also, my wife and I both thought that Woody didn't sound like Tom Hanks in the first, oh, 30 minutes or so. Not sure why, but his normal inflections just weren't there to our ears.

Toy Story 2 looks a lot more developed, while still retaining the overall clean, simple aesthetic of its predecessor. I think I prefer this one. I find myself more emotionally invested in this one for some reason. The montage of Jessie with Emily, with the Sarah McLaughlin song playing, gets me every time. I love that these movies are really about exploring how we define our place in the world, and the conflicts between how we see ourselves and the expectations of others. Very universal themes, and this movie does a great job navigating them. And even though I know what's coming, the stuff with Zurg cracks me up and the final showdown and rescue at the airport is actually still exciting.

I only passingly looked at the bonus features menus, but I had to do a double-take when I looked at the menu for Toy Story because I thought it said there was an "Audio Commentary: Buzz Lightyear." It turns out that the AC is one feature, and that's listed above a separate feature about Buzz that has a subtitle I don't now remember. For a second there, though, I thought they'd really gone all out and cooked up something mind-blowingly great!

Also, I was a bit irritated that both discs include a feature about Disney DigitalFile digital copies, since neither of these include them. I actually watched it, thinking there was some kind of unannounced way to access a digital copy of these movies. I'd complain, but after Disney gave us $10 off coupons and included movie tickets for Toy Story 3, it just doesn't seem like I've got much room to whine about this.

RM811 03-24-10 08:26 AM

I am keeping my UTB dvds and special features disc and selling the dvds that came with the blu rays. That was I still have dvd access plus all the features those discs provide.

Michael Corvin 03-24-10 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10067070)
Given that most people should be able to get these for less than $10 total, and certainly less than $20 total, I see no reason why anyone should sell the Ultimate Toy Box set if they still own it.

Yeah, I considered it briefly, but considering they were $4, I'm definitely keeping the UTB.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10067592)
I only passingly looked at the bonus features menus, but I had to do a double-take when I looked at the menu for Toy Story because I thought it said there was an "Audio Commentary: Buzz Lightyear." It turns out that the AC is one feature, and that's listed above a separate feature about Buzz that has a subtitle I don't now remember. For a second there, though, I thought they'd really gone all out and cooked up something mind-blowingly great!

Buzz Lightyear: Mission Log ~ One of the astronauts took a Buzz Lightyear toy on his trip to the space station so we are treated to footage of Buzz actually 'flying.' :) It's a 2-3 minute clip about NASA and what real astronauts do and how the Space Shuttle works. Great idea for a feature, but too short. There is one on each BD.

Easy 03-24-10 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by badlieut (Post 10065569)
I haven't been paying attention and I didn't realize that there are 2 different cases for these BDs--a DVD size case or a BD size case. I picked up the DVD cases. I don't really want to drive back to TRU to do an exchange. Are the UPCs the same so I can do a buy/return at Target?

I didn't realize it either and not paying close attention, got the dvd case. Unfortunately, they have been opened and I'm stuck. I like to be able to tell BD from DVD on my shelf and Disney has managed to screw that up for me. I feel like I've been fucked with my pants on. What the hell was Disney thinking putting a BD in a DVD case?

JoeyOhhhh 03-24-10 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 10068208)
I didn't realize it either and not paying close attention, got the dvd case. Unfortunately, they have been opened and I'm stuck. I like to be able to tell BD from DVD on my shelf and Disney has managed to screw that up for me. I feel like I've been fucked with my pants on. What the hell was Disney thinking putting a BD in a DVD case?

You could try calling Disney to ask for replacement case and coverart.

Travis McClain 03-24-10 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Easy (Post 10068208)
What the hell was Disney thinking putting a BD in a DVD case?

What Disney has done first with Snow White and now these, is to make them available in both DVD and Blu-ray cases. The thinking appears to be that, since many Disney collectors had them originally on DVD and may not be committed to Blu-ray yet, they will appreciate having their Disney library in uniform.

Also, and perhaps this is more important, DVD cases are familiar to the less-dedicated consumer looking to buy a Disney movie for their family. If they were only in Blu-ray cases, it might confuse these less-savvy parents into thinking that there are only Blu-ray releases. (Yes, I know they all say "Blu-ray Disc + DVD" at the top; reading isn't big on most people's to-do list.)

What about The Princess and the Frog, you ask, which wasn't available in a DVD case at all? I think this is because that movie is new and had never been previously released. It's a nudge for those Disney collectors to begin to commit themselves to Blu-ray, as well as trying to introduce the more casual consumer to the format.

I would advise those who intend to purchase the forthcoming Beauty and the Beast and Fantasia releases to pay more careful attention to the case if that matters to you, as I fully expect Disney to offer each of them both ways.

Artman 03-24-10 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10067070)
Given that most people should be able to get these for less than $10 total, and certainly less than $20 total, I see no reason why anyone should sell the Ultimate Toy Box set if they still own it.

Space and money. I just don't keep multiple releases of movies for extras.

Travis McClain 03-24-10 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 10068515)
Here's an example of how ridiculous Blu-ray.com's forums are. Here's my PM discussion with a mod, after I just received an "infraction."

It seems a little unseemly to be posting this kind of thing here, but I'm only saying that as a matter of what I consider manners.

diverdave 03-24-10 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10068651)
It seems a little unseemly to be posting this kind of thing here, but I'm only saying that as a matter of what I consider manners.

Especially since posting PMs is against many forums' TOS.

David

Rypro 525 03-24-10 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10067361)
not only does it look good, but the DTS-ES matrixed 6.1 sound in the opening scene is amazing. The panning of the sound is remarkable. I also like how the mixers utilized all the front channels for dialog, notably during the sequence just before 'crossing the road' - Buzz and friends are mulling it over and some of the characters voices are placed in the phantom spaces between the center and left/right speakers (depending on where they are standing) - why can't all soundmixes sound THIS good??

Maybe its just me or my shit speakers, but i never liked when characters speak out of the side channels, because to my ears, it always sounds ADR'd, and a bit tinny.

And yeah, i re watched my dvd of TS2, and in DTS, that opening scene is jaw dropping

TomOpus 03-24-10 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10068492)
I would advise those who intend to purchase the forthcoming Beauty and the Beast and Fantasia releases to pay more careful attention to the case if that matters to you, as I fully expect Disney to offer each of them both ways.

Good post. Just sniped this one part to say that Amazon (for the Toy Story releases) listed both "DVD Packaging" and "Blu-Ray Packaging." This might give a head's up for future releases to know to be on the lookout. Seems like more than a few people got caught with their guard down.

asianxcore 03-24-10 07:01 PM

Bought my copies of both films from TRU during my lunch break today (since TRU is literally next door)

I was only able to find Part 1 which had the BD Packaging. The store I went to only had Part 2 in the DVD Packaging.

Ended up getting them in that order. Oh well :)

Drexl 03-24-10 07:12 PM

Why are they doing that crap? Are there really people who want this in a DVD-sized case?

Gizmo 03-24-10 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10069113)
Why are they doing that crap? Are there really people who want this in a DVD-sized case?

The majority of people still buy DVD...

Drexl 03-24-10 07:41 PM

Then they should be buying a version with the DVD only. Or is that OOP now?

I guess if you had a BD player, but you were going to buy nothing but certain Disney titles on BD, you might want the DVD cases for consistency with your DVDs. I just don't know if anyone fits that description. Anyone with a modest BD collection has to accept the smaller cases (unless you make a lot of custom cases).

Or, is this a case (pardon the pun) where the version in the DVD case is marketed as a DVD with a BD included, rather than the other way around? I suppose then it might be useful to keep DVD-only people from avoiding this release because they don't know the DVD is included.

Giles 03-24-10 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 10068856)
Maybe its just me or my shit speakers, but i never liked when characters speak out of the side channels, because to my ears, it always sounds ADR'd, and a bit tinny.

And yeah, i re watched my dvd of TS2, and in DTS, that opening scene is jaw dropping

you listenend to the DVD of Toy Story 2 - why not the bluray?

darkside 03-24-10 09:41 PM

I had to check 4 Targets to find a copy of Toy Story 2 in a BD case. Probably used up most of the $10 coupon on gas, but I got them both finally. :)