Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

I've gone Blu

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

I've gone Blu

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gone Blu

I started collecting DVDs in 2000. I have been collecting them steadily since then and now my DVD collection has approximately 1100 titles. I recently got a PS3 and now I've officially gone Blu. One of my first Blu-ray purchases was the complete Battlestar Galactica tin from the UK. I also just ordered for Ultimate Watchmen set from DeepDiscount for just $25. The reason I'm posting this is to ask recommendations for some must-have Blu-rays I surely must've missed. Something that showcases the format, or something that showcases the film itself well. I was looking at some Blu-rays on Amazon, since a lot of them there are so cheap. Just ordered North by Northwest 50th Anniversary, and I'll probably get The Omen (the original), simply for the isolated score. Also preordered Che and Inglourious Basterds. What else is out there that a film lover with a vast and eclectic DVD collection should have?
Old 11-17-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I've gone Blu

baraka
Old 11-17-09, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats jmj713! Answer to your question depends on your personal tastes: what movies you already own, what movies your willing to double dip on (start with your favorites), and don't forget which discs are worth upgrading. For example, if you like North By NorthWest, IMO, the Bluray is well worth an upgrade in PQ/AQ. If might want to browse through the "Blu reviews" many times the reviewers will compare the previous releases to the High-Def versions. I hope this helps you... good luck and enjoy!
Old 11-17-09, 07:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Good to know! Thanks!
Old 11-17-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And funnily enough I was one of those ardent DVD-is-good-enough people. But I don't feel any buyer's remorse for my DVD collection, strangely enough. wakwak007, I've been reading the Blu-ray reviews here and elsewhere. There seems to be lots of great discs out there.
Old 11-17-09, 10:10 PM

If you can still find it pick up The Third Man.
Old 11-17-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's some good general advice: Read the reviews for PQ/AQ information .Find these reviews on DVD Talk, DVD Beaver, and Blu-ray.com. If the disc doesn't sound like it's worth an upgrade then rent it first or pass altogether. If it does and is a movie you like then treat yourself to it. As for films you've never owned before but want - if there is a Blu-ray edition just go for it. I didn't think that was necessary at first but by now I've learned to recognize that I would regret any DVD purchase that could have been a Blu-ray purchase. It's just not worth buying something on DVD to me if a Blu-ray edition exists.

Enjoy your introduction to the madness that is soon to be your Blu-ray addiction.
Old 11-17-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

*whew*
Old 11-17-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, you blu yourself?
Old 11-18-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
*whew*
ditto. pins and needles, man
Old 11-18-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
So, you blu yourself?

Star Trek.
Old 11-18-09, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by biglou114
If you can still find it pick up The Third Man.
yeah...a bunch of us ran to amazon and other places to get this Blu (from Criterion) before it went OOP. Great Blu.

i'd suggest you get

(again this is to your tastes but...I'm just picking out what I think are good-great quality Blu-rays)
TDK
300 (that ultimate edition is packed like crazy on special features)
Enter the Dragon (it's a classic and looks great)
Casablanca
Kagemusha
Ran
Watchmen
Star Trek
Fight Club
Zodiac
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Any Scorsese film would be nice to see on blu...except Gangs of NY (heard that one had some image issues..can anyone confirm this to be exact...is it worse than the DVD?)
North by Northwest
Old 11-18-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't do it! When I went Blu, I had no plans to upgrade my DVD collection. But as soon as I adjusted to the HD quality, I just can't bring myself to watch DVD when an HD version is available. Arghhhh...
Old 11-18-09, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah well I'm a HK action fan..I'm lucky to get some of the films I now own on DVD..so..I'm used to seeing crappy quality. BUT if there's an HD version of a film that I have a DVD of and it's better set based off visual and audio quality PLUS the features..then I go blu.
Old 11-18-09, 10:06 AM

You've pre-prdered Che. Do you like Criterions? Barnes And Noble has a nice sale going on now. Check out the Bargains forum. I picked up Repulsion, Wings Of Desire on Blu for under $14 each. And Monterey Pop on Blu for around $24.
Old 11-18-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do have a sizable Criterion collection on DVD. Not too many Blu-rays they've put out interest me at the moment, except The Seventh Seal, The Last Emperor, Kagemusha, Playtime, The 400 Blows, The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and 8 1/2 (but I have the DVD editions, d'oh). From now on, of course, any interesting Blu-rays from Criterion will be mine, starting with Che. I'll try and hunt down the OOP The Third Man, as I never got the DVD version.

What about mainstream classics? What are some outstanding releases?

P.S.: I appreciate the sarcastic comments, but thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I haven't been paying much if any attention to Blu-ray releases these past several years, so I have lots of catching up to do.
Old 11-18-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I haven't been paying much if any attention to Blu-ray releases these past several years, so I have lots of catching up to do.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My first blu-ray player should be here on Friday and my first 18 blu-ray discs are on there way from DVDPlanet. I looked at the upcoming blu-ray release schedule and there is nothing that catches my eye. Don't understand how some lesser movies have already made it too blu-ray while there is quite a few that won't make it for years too come. Interested mostly in movies and music releases. Might get a tv series here and there.
Old 11-18-09, 12:08 PM

We have an AVATAR thread already
Old 11-18-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMHO...

1. Best video quality to show off BR = "Speed Racer" (Almost looks too real, unfilm like)
2. Best Animation = "Wall-E" (Every stage of the film is amazing, Dirty Earth is a joy to watch, space pops off the screen)

The better the HDTV the better the BR will look.

The new LED HDTV make Plasma/LCD HDTV look almost fuzzy. LED HDTV is the most life like you will ever see your BR movies. LED can make Animated moives look less blended together, it can make some of the subjects look seperated from the background.
Old 11-18-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My HD display is a Panasonic projector (106-inch screen). Somewhere down the road I plan on upgrading to all the latest equipment to take full advantage of the video and audio quality of Blu-ray, but obviously not now.
Old 11-18-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you just going to get the first Omen film, or also the sequels (2 and 3)? If you want all three, I would suggest looking into the UK version. Unlike the US version, the remake is not included. Also, the packaging of the US version is supposed to be pretty lousy. The UK version comes in a nice keepcase.

However, I don't know what the extras situation is with it. It's possible that if there are SD extras they would be in PAL and not playable for you.
Old 11-18-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'll pass on the sequels (I have the Omen box set on DVD with The Awakening, which I really like, but it's missing from the Blu-ray set). But the original Omen is one of my favorite films of all time, so I can't wait to watch it again.
Old 11-18-09, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/557...y-best-pq.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/558...ouve-seen.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/555...demo-disc.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/560...t-brs-get.html
Old 11-18-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent links, thanks.
Old 11-19-09, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are probably some new ones since those threads but the core "must haves " are well represented.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.