Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner's new DVD2BLU program begins

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner's new DVD2BLU program begins

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Warner's new DVD2BLU program begins

Website is not working for me. Anyone else having problems?
Old 10-28-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big e
Does anyone know if HD-DVDs are eligible for this? I know about Warner's Red2Blu program, but am asking about non-Warner HD-DVDs.
Curious about this myself.
Old 10-29-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working for me right now. Holy heck, I just added 25 blu rays to my collection!
Old 10-29-10, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Meh, nothing's catching my eye...
Old 10-29-10, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's an interesting change, accepting any kind of DVDs but what is the point? Why not just sell the Blu-rays flat out? I really have gotten everything I wanted... a lot of you are talking about your crap DVDs... well my Warner DVDs were my crap DVDs. Anyway, interesting new policy but really doesn't change anything for me.
Old 10-29-10, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Wait, what? I can go buy a $1 pd dvd and get $5 blu rays? Really?

Really?

Am I just tired and reading wrong?
Old 10-29-10, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Man, time to go to Big Lots and clear out their DVD selection.
but when you factor in the 3 dollars you would spend for a dvd from big lots along with the 5 dollars your pretty much spending what a lot of these movies go for from amazon anyways.
Now if you allready had a bunch .99cent store or biglots purchased dvds then yeah this is a great deal but if you dont allready it doesnt really make sense to go out and buy 3 dollar dvds to get a 5 dollar bluray
Old 10-29-10, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Wait, what? I can go buy a $1 pd dvd and get $5 blu rays? Really?

Really?

Am I just tired and reading wrong?

Yeah, but most of those $5 Blu-ray has been on sale for about $8 on Amazon before. And probably will be at those prices come Holidays like last year. So if you are willing to go through all the trouble of buying the $1 DVD, sending it out and wait for a month to receive the blu-ray for saving of $2 or so, make sure you are doing it for the titles that you were planning to buy it anyway.

I learned my mistake with DVD that no matter how cheap they are, I'm still going to regret it later if the movie sucks (and with over 2000 DVDs, I haven't learned it quick enough - it's really a hassle to sell those right now ).

I am going to take advantage of this deal, but only for the movies that I would enjoy watching more than once. These days, I would rather buy 2 movies that are great than buying 8 movies that I wouldn't watch more than once. Because that $6 does add up to lot of money - and lot of shelf space.
Old 10-29-10, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Website is not working for me. Anyone else having problems?
Yes no matter how many times I click on it, there are no more titles I want to pick up.
Old 10-29-10, 11:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if they will accept Digital Copy discs?
Old 10-29-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by animefan
Yeah, but most of those $5 Blu-ray has been on sale for about $8 on Amazon before. And probably will be at those prices come Holidays like last year. So if you are willing to go through all the trouble of buying the $1 DVD, sending it out and wait for a month to receive the blu-ray for saving of $2 or so, make sure you are doing it for the titles that you were planning to buy it anyway.

I learned my mistake with DVD that no matter how cheap they are, I'm still going to regret it later if the movie sucks (and with over 2000 DVDs, I haven't learned it quick enough - it's really a hassle to sell those right now ).

I am going to take advantage of this deal, but only for the movies that I would enjoy watching more than once. These days, I would rather buy 2 movies that are great than buying 8 movies that I wouldn't watch more than once. Because that $6 does add up to lot of money - and lot of shelf space.
Sounds like a plan, I could use some extra DVD cases so I can throw out those echo cases whenever I accidentally get them.
Old 10-29-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

I can't seem to find any restriction on the condition (rather than the content) of discs to be traded in. I have a number of children's titles (Thomas the Tank Engine, the Wiggles, etc) that are scratched up enough that they no longer play well.

I wonder if these would be eligible based upon the terms of the deal?

Last edited by Kmical; 11-02-10 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joltman
Wouldn't Dollar Tree be even better?
If Dollar Tree doesn't have any like mine, try Big Lots. Mine still has the 3 packs for $3.
Old 10-29-10, 11:31 PM

So has anyone successfully submitted their Bonus Features Disc and had it approved? What is a DVD I sent is not approved? Do they cancel my order - or wait for me to send another one?
Old 11-01-10, 10:34 PM
Cool New Member

bump for interest! I would much rather get rid of stupid bonus discs than the actual movies.
Old 11-01-10, 10:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by masetodd
So has anyone successfully submitted their Bonus Features Disc and had it approved? What is a DVD I sent is not approved? Do they cancel my order - or wait for me to send another one?
I just sent in about 15 bonus discs, so we'll see what happens. They're all from major studios.
Old 11-02-10, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Really? These are pretty old titles and if you've been buying HD DVD/Blu-rays as long as I have, there is not a whole lot of great things here. And even at $5, most of these have been in the $10ish or less range for a long time. I struggled to find two movies, but until I can get free shipping (so 6-7), I'm not biting.
Exactly. I started to fill up a shopping cart with about five titles, but once you add the--what seems to be a bit high--shipping fees (and no place on the order page to enter any sort of coupon codes, such as the free shipping ones), I decided to pass.

Even if I picked up a few pawn shop dollar discs, the titles I was interested in would go up to about $8 or so each, and I'm sure these titles can be had for that (or even less) secondhand (and if a disc isn't scratched, I don't mind buying secondhand), so I just decided to pass.

If they ever expand this to include free shipping (along with 'trade any disc'), then I might get on board.
Old 11-09-10, 06:07 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I just sent in about 15 bonus discs, so we'll see what happens. They're all from major studios.
update?
Old 11-09-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I checked the shipping confirmation and they received my order on Friday. But no e mail confirmation yet. Anyone else?
Old 11-09-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I checked the shipping confirmation and they received my order on Friday. But no e mail confirmation yet. Anyone else?
Same here.

The first time I swapped some with them I never got an email confirmation for anything but the order went through fine.
Old 11-10-10, 04:18 PM
Suspended

Wow, what a deal! My dvd player died a few months back so it made sense to finally get a blu-ray player but I told myself I wasn't going to upgrade my dvd collection and only buy blu-rays from now on. This plan changes my mind and I can get some titles I meant to buy on dvd but never did, like Constantine. Also I have 2 copies of Dark City, so I'll trade that in and a few "blind buys" that sucked that I'll trade in as well. Nice!

I like the idea of trading in the "extras" discs so if that works for someone, let us know!

Last edited by Crow331; 11-10-10 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-10-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just sent in 8. I didn't even think I had that many to trade in.
Old 11-10-10, 08:02 PM
Suspended

These are my upgrades/additions. Is there anything I should know about any of these i.e. bad transfers, barebones?

Christmas Story, A $6.95
Dark City: Director's Cut $4.95
Constantine $4.95
L.A. Confidential $6.95
Mask, The $4.95
Risky Business Deluxe Edition $4.95
Shining, The: Special Edition $4.95
True Romance $4.95

EDIT:

Saw this little tidbit in the terms:

"please note: The Blu-ray version may have different special features and/or bonus material than contained on the DVD version of the Participating Title, including much less or no special features and/or bonus material, and/or the Blu-ray version may have a different aspect ratio (e.g., may be full screen instead of wide screen or vice versa)"

Has anyone gotten screwed and been sent a FOOLSCREEN version of any of the above titles??

Last edited by Crow331; 11-10-10 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-10-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh, no. There's no such thing as a fullscreen version of any of those movies on Blu-Ray. It's just a standard disclaimer that Blu-Rays are different from DVD's.
Old 11-11-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Anyone successfully send in an HD-DVD in this round? I have a tomb raider HD-DVD that would be perfect for this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.