HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars Clone Wars Season 1 - Nov 3

Old 07-15-09, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Star Wars Clone Wars Season 1 - Nov 3

http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news20090715.html

From Lucasfilm Ltd. and Warner Home Video, Four-Disc Set Includes Companion Featurettes For All 22 Action-Packed Episodes, and a Blu-ray Exclusive - Jedi Temple Archives
After wowing TV audiences with a cutting-edge, animated look at "a galaxy far, far away," Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season One is coming to DVD and high-definition Blu-ray Disc November 3 from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Warner Home Video.

Live the adventures again and again, and dig deeper into the first season of The Clone Wars with a comprehensive look behind-the-scenes of the popular animated series. Uniquely packaged with an exclusive 64-page production journal, the four-disc set contains all 22 episodes from the groundbreaking first season -- including seven extended Director's Cuts -- as well as companion featurettes for each episode. And exclusive to the Blu-ray disc, The Jedi Temple Archives provides in-depth access to an extensive database of creative materials.

"I'm a longtime Star Wars fan, and the same's true for a lot of the guys working on the show," said supervising director Dave Filoni. "And as a fan, I know that Lucasfilm can be pretty secretive. They're famous for it. But we're all so proud of the work that's gone into The Clone Wars, and we wanted to share some of our production tricks, and open up the vault and reveal our efforts. You're going to get unprecedented access, to see the nuts and bolts of our series -- from concept to finished animation."

Created and executive produced by George Lucas, the first-ever TV production from Lucasfilm Animation explores the tumultuous time between Episodes II and III of the live-action saga, expanding the scope of Star Wars beyond anything seen in the feature films.

"The live-action saga was just the beginning. The universe is vast, and there are so many more stories to explore beyond Anakin's fall and redemption," said Lucas. "The scope of the war gives us the perfect vehicle for a weekly series, allowing us to look at how the conflict has affected the farthest reaches of the galaxy, including characters, creatures and races we only glimpsed in the feature films. Animation has allowed us to visualize the worlds and characters of Star Wars in all new ways."

Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season One will be available November 3 for the suggested retail price of $44.98 for DVD and $59.99 for Blu-ray.

Special Features:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season One is presented in widescreen with English, Spanish and French 5.1 DTS audio and English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features include:

•Seven Director's Cut Episodes: Rising Malevolence, Shadow of Malevolence, Lair of Grievous, Rookies, Storm Over Ryloth, Innocents of Ryloth and Liberty on Ryloth

•22 Episodic Featurettes that go behind-the-scenes with Supervising Director Dave Filoni and crew about the making-of each episode

•Spectacular 64-page production journal that includes early sketches, artist notes, and concept art from each episode from Season One

•Blu-ray Exclusive -- The Jedi Temple Archives: An extensive database exploring test footage, early concept art, 3-D character and object turnarounds and early animation. The Archives is a rare look at the assets in various stages of creation for The Clone Wars, with a wealth of surprises and never-before seen moments sprinkled throughout.

Last edited by Rammsteinfan; 07-15-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 08:58 PM

Re: Star Wars Clone Wars Season 1 - Nov 3

Hmmm, same date that has been rumored for a couple of months now, good that its official.

Is it just me that cant get excited by any Star Wars spin-off news?
I'll jump for the movies themselves though.

Last edited by HumanMedia; 07-15-09 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this awesome can not wait to own this set, now if we could only get either the prequels or the orginal trilogy or both as well.
Old 07-15-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice! I missed half the shows in HD when they aired.
Old 07-15-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Being the huge SW fan I am, I have not even seen the movie yet, let alone any episodes. For some reason I just have a hard time accepting this series into the SW universe.
Old 07-15-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hopefully the DVD will be anamorphic and the original 2.40:1 aspect ratio. The non-anamorphic, cropped 1.78:1 "sampler" disc was a pathetic release to say the least.
Old 07-15-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if this set might possibly contain the movie?
Old 07-15-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chase3001 View Post
Does anyone know if this set might possibly contain the movie?
I doubt it since it doesnt list it as an extra. I have the movie on BD and prefer the series over the movie from the 22 episodes i saw. They may have some deals at stores if you buy the series and movie at the same time.
Old 07-16-09, 01:11 AM

Thats a great set of extras. Can't wait to pick this up.
Old 07-16-09, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
Being the huge SW fan I am, I have not even seen the movie yet, let alone any episodes. For some reason I just have a hard time accepting this series into the SW universe.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I actually like this series better than the prequels. I especially like how Anakin is actually likable in this series, rather than being a whiney, completely insane brat like he was in the movies. This series also brings back a lot of the fun of the original trilogy.

Give it a shot. Episodes like "Downfall Of A Droid" are pretty close to classic IMO.
Old 07-16-09, 02:16 AM
Banned by request

The Clone Wars movie was so bad. I might give this a rental to try a few episodes out, but then again I may just forget the whole project ever happened.
Old 07-16-09, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Hopefully the DVD will be anamorphic and the original 2.40:1 aspect ratio. The non-anamorphic, cropped 1.78:1 "sampler" disc was a pathetic release to say the least.
I hope so also. If they are in 2.40 format this will be a must buy for me. If not I'll pass.
Old 07-16-09, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ignohippo View Post
I actually like this series better than the prequels. .
Those cartoon ones I liked. I did just sell my DVDs on ebay though because they're OOP and I made $30 for both.
Old 07-16-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish they'd release the original Clone Wars cartoons on Blu-Ray.
Old 07-17-09, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
The Clone Wars movie was so bad.
I didn't see the movie until after I had watched the entire season and I have to agree. I had no expectations for the show, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's full of enjoyable action, saber battles and space scenes which fit perfectly in the half-hour (22 min?) time slot. Don't expect much from the plot and characters, but there are a few pleasant surprises of above par stories and deeper glimpses into parts of the Star Wars universe we haven't seen before.

Anyway, after becoming a fan of show, I went out and rented the "film". It really didn't work as a film at all. It seemed like 3 or more episodes of the show were clumsily crammed together, except that the film "episodes" weren't up to the level of the series.

If you haven't seen the show, I would suggest giving it a try. If you haven't seen the film, whether or not you've seen the series, you can probably give it a miss. The series stands on it's own just fine, the film really doesn't add much, so you're not missing anything if you skip the film.
Old 07-17-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov View Post
I wish they'd release the original Clone Wars cartoons on Blu-Ray.
Yeah, I didn't even know the DVDs were out of print until a friend just told me he sold his for $50 a piece.
Old 07-17-09, 05:19 PM

I'm really looking forward to getting this on Blu, even though it looks like it's going to be another of Warner's digibooks (ugh). I enjoyed the series a lot more than I did the movie, though I have it on Blu too.

The movie actually does consist of four episodes of the series all edited together. The episode titles were 118: "The New Padawan", 101: "Castle Of Deception", 103: "Castle Of Doom" & 104: "Castle Of Salvation". Oddly, the series' production numbers are all out of order like that too. :/
Old 07-17-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, I don't know... didn't see the movie, don't have any desire to... If this gets top-notch reviews I might consider it... I'll have to check out a couple of episodes first. Anyone recommend any in particular?

Last edited by Artman; 07-17-09 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-17-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I can get a steelbook I'll be there.
Old 07-18-09, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17 View Post
Yeah, I didn't even know the DVDs were out of print until a friend just told me he sold his for $50 a piece.
Not sure how he pulled that off. The going used prices on Amazon aren't nearly that high...
Old 07-18-09, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Hmm, I don't know... didn't see the movie, don't have any desire to... If this gets top-notch reviews I might consider it... I'll have to check out a couple of episodes first. Anyone recommend any in particular?
I personally think the 3-part "Malevolence" episodes are a great way to see if you'll like the series. These are episodes 2-4, "Rising Malevolence", "Shadow of Malevolence" & "Destroy Malevolence". They are early in the series and feature most of the main characters.
Old 11-01-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, if someone has the 2 original clone wars "mini" cartoons, the theatrical clone wars movie, and now the clone wars season one...............which order do you watch all these in and do they really have continuity? I know they should all go between EP 2 & EP 3 but get lost beyond that.............
Old 11-01-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jkzahn View Post
So, if someone has the 2 original clone wars "mini" cartoons, the theatrical clone wars movie, and now the clone wars season one...............which order do you watch all these in and do they really have continuity? I know they should all go between EP 2 & EP 3 but get lost beyond that.............
I thought the 2D clone wars ended with the lead in to episode III, so the CGI series fits inbetween season 1 and two, unless the first series has been jettisoned completely, canon-wise.
Old 11-01-09, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by jkzahn View Post
I think the original mini cartoons are now non canon. Someone correct me if Im wrong though.
Old 11-01-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think i heard as well that the mini series wasnt cannon and was just a test to see if people would respond to a full on clone wars series. I believe the mini series either took place near the end of the clone wars before episode III or was spread out over many years and was just quick stories through the many years between both II and III.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.