Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Can we just go back to talking about Blu-ray media and spare this poor Criterion thread?
I'm looking forward to picking up D&C and a few (by few I mean many) other Criterions during the upcoming Criterion sale at B&N. I'm glad the Three Colors Trilogy release date occurs in the midst of the sale.
Old 10-25-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
I'm looking forward to picking up D&C and a few (by few I mean many) other Criterions during the upcoming Criterion sale at B&N. I'm glad the Three Colors Trilogy release date occurs in the midst of the sale.
I just wish I could get some of the December releases in the sale. As it is, I'm only going to pick up The Killing and maybe The Four Feathers.
Old 10-25-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

newsletter clue:

Nicolas Winding Refn's Top 10 Criterions
Old 10-25-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
newsletter clue:
So, the question is... for which Hitchcock classic is this a cast picture?
Old 10-25-11, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nicolas Winding Refn's Top Ten

I wonder why there was nothing said on the last two though...maybe...odd. Maybe a fuck up on part of CC?

EDIT: FUCK riot got it. oh well.
Old 10-25-11, 07:32 PM

Ok, I'm missing something in the whole "pro-b" debate. Seems a lot of people don't like that person. I don't know anything and I'm not judging, but damn there are multiple posts basically telling "pro-b" to get lost. It just caught me off guard, that's all.

I saw the blu-ray.com review of Dazed and Confused a few days ago and disagreed with the criticism, but it's bound to happen that some reviews don't like a movie as much as its average fan. The reviewers are film fans themselves with various tastes and opinions, after all.
Old 10-25-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Pro-B can be a polarizing force on this forum, but overall, it's a better place with his participation than without it.
Old 10-25-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
... meanwhile, I find almost nothing more dreary than inter-Blu-ray-fan-Website bitching.

I'm a member at most of the popular Blu-ray fan sites. I find none of them to be anything close to "perfect".

Can we just go back to talking about Blu-ray media and spare this poor Criterion thread?
This. Seeing people wave their dicks around over which home media website is superior is rather ridiculous, in my opinion.

Getting back on topic, I'm seeing speculation on other sites suggesting that the clue is for Sátántangó.
Old 10-25-11, 08:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
By his own admission Pro-B does not post here anymore and had to be informed of the attack through a friend. I'm sure he knows that when you put your work out in a public sphere, you're opening yourself up to the opinions of those who read the work. There is a difference between making an attack on a reviewer who is not also an active member here and a personal attack made from one active member to another in the forums. The former is rude, the second is against the site's TOS.

I'll put it this way: It may not be nice for someone to post a Roger Ebert review and call Ebert an idiot, but it's allowed in the forum rules. However, if Roger Ebert were an active member here, then it would be. I saw the original comment as the former (a general grievance against a non-member based on content from another site). If Pro-B were an active member here, and the other poster knew this, that would be a different story.

Pro-B did not have to resort to personal attacks in his defense, though. And even if the original attack had been the forum definition of a personal attack, we still wouldn't allow Pro-B to retaliate with his own round of personal attacks. That's what the "Report this post to a moderator" button is for.
HAH! I did a "report" in a different subforum over some highly offensive language and not one of the moderators did anything about it - not cool... what's the point of having that option, when it does no good.
Old 10-25-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it's Satantango yet I have no better guess.
Old 10-25-11, 08:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
'The Price of Milk' ?
Old 10-25-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Getting back on topic, I'm seeing speculation on other sites suggesting that the clue is for Sátántangó.
Which is still in print from Facets, making it an unlikely choice. I'd love to get some Tarr on Blu-ray though - Werckmeister Harmonies in HD would be my dream release.
Old 10-26-11, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

err yeah so I think Dazed and Confused is only above average too, I must be an idiot.

Come on, what nonsense.

As for the display of 'maturity' here, how is it different to the very same things being said about the other site.

Anyway, back on topic, has anyone seen Moment of Truth? If so, how does it compare to the two other Criterion Rosi's?
Old 10-26-11, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nitin77

As for the display of 'maturity' here, how is it different to the very same things being said about the other site.
Yeah, I love how they all ganged up on him and basically told him to go back to his part of town. And then the biased mod came in to back them up.

One side came off pretty badly during this little tiff, and it wasn't pro-b's.

Criterion sale can't get here soon enough, though.
Old 10-26-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's unbelievable how a whole fuss was made over a review, which was not even a negative one, just to pick a fight with Pro-B - someone that has dedicated at least 11 years of giving all of us useful information about movies, dvds, and blu-rays. I don't even know who started the original witch hunt against him in the first place, but it's very cliched internet forum behavior. "Go back to blu-ray.com!" "Go back where you came from!" How original.

It doesn't matter if a critic gives a movie 5 stars or 1 star. The wonderful thing about internet is that it gives us the option to compile all the different reviews of one film or one blu-ray or one DVD to figure out if it's worth checking out. Anyone who says that there is only one right way of reviewing a film is a snob.

And regarding the Cow picture, how about Julio Medem's VACAS? Criterion needs to put all of Julio Medem's old films on blu-ray: The Red Squirrel, Tierra, and Lovers of the Arctic Circle.
Old 10-26-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm with you Todd on all your points.
Criterion needs more Spanish language films. Medem, Bardem, more Saura, and these are all spaniards, not even mentioning the non-existant south american, more mexican. etc.
Old 10-26-11, 09:52 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
It's unbelievable how a whole fuss was made over a review, which was not even a negative one, just to pick a fight with Pro-B - someone that has dedicated at least 11 years of giving all of us useful information about movies, dvds, and blu-rays. I don't even know who started the original witch hunt against him in the first place, but it's very cliched internet forum behavior. "Go back to blu-ray.com!" "Go back where you came from!" How original.

It doesn't matter if a critic gives a movie 5 stars or 1 star. The wonderful thing about internet is that it gives us the option to compile all the different reviews of one film or one blu-ray or one DVD to figure out if it's worth checking out. Anyone who says that there is only one right way of reviewing a film is a snob.

And regarding the Cow picture, how about Julio Medem's VACAS? Criterion needs to put all of Julio Medem's old films on blu-ray: The Red Squirrel, Tierra, and Lovers of the Arctic Circle.
Why do you assume everyone knows that Pro-B is that reviewer on Blu-ray.com? I don't think anyone that posted anything prior to his reappearance even mentioned his username.
Old 10-26-11, 09:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Back on track...I'll wait for more reviews on Dazed. I still have my HD DVD...and don't see much point in plopping down $25 if it's only a marginal improvement.
Old 10-26-11, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gojira showed up in my Gold Box today, so I went ahead and ordered it. I'd rather not have to wait until May to watch/buy it it, so hopefully it'll drop down to $24.99 or so.
Old 10-26-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Why do you assume everyone knows that Pro-B is that reviewer on Blu-ray.com? I don't think anyone that posted anything prior to his reappearance even mentioned his username.
Thank you! Like others here, I had no idea who the author of that piece really was — or his user name, since I don't bother with many forums — until he came reeling in here looking to officially make it into something. These howls of 'persecution!' are just a wee bit much . . .

[insert pre-emptive remark directing the discussion back on topic now that I've had my say]

Old 10-26-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Gojira showed up in my Gold Box today, so I went ahead and ordered it. I'd rather not have to wait until May to watch/buy it it, so hopefully it'll drop down to $24.99 or so.
Mine too.
Old 10-26-11, 11:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mod Note: Let's get back to discussing Criterion, shall we? Anyone who wishes to continue discussion of the moderation at the site or this particular incident is free to start a thread in Feedback. Giles, I would recommend you do so if you want to discuss the report you made earlier that you feel did not get addressed. It will be easier to go into specifics in a Feedback thread and you can get a wider range of responses from moderators than I could give you here. Similarly, Dragon Tattoo, if you feel my moderation or any moderation is biased, feel free to start a Feedback thread so we can get other eyes on the potential problem posts. Thank you all.
Old 10-26-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh man I wanted to keeep bitchin, don't like it when the po-pos arrive
Old 10-26-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

"po-pos"

I weep for the future...
Old 10-26-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/bluer2vsr1.htm

DVD Beaver review for Bleu - looks fantastic

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.