Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 04-15-24, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts
Re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Nothing jumping out at me right away.
Is the next sale still projected for June? I still have some older titles to grab.
Old 04-15-24, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Has Risky Business been in the rumor mill for a while? It's a pleasant surprise to me. I've always considered it a teen flick with a lot more going on underneath the Ray Bans than meets the eye.

Unfortunately, those new supplements hardly inspire excitement. The commentary and screen tests are old news. At this point, Criterion's lack of effort with extra features are HUGE missed opportunities in my book.

Old 04-15-24, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Honestly, Risky Business seems like a joke release - it's not a very good movie.

I'm all in for Le Samourai.
Old 04-15-24, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have never heard of anyone speaking of Risky Business as any kind of high art film of any kind, only the iconic look of Cruise and the sunglasses.
Old 04-15-24, 04:37 PM

Well, no one's saying "high art," but it's been getting a re-evaluation. Here's an interesting analysis at Film Cred.

"Risky Business is often lumped in with teen sex comedies, but the film subverts the genre and is a grim satire about the chauvinist fantasies in 1980s America and how they will inform the decadeís patriarchy."
Old 04-15-24, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,734 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I haven't seen Farewell my Concubine since it originally came out on VHS. I remember nothing about it. I'm a big viewer of Asian movies, but not sure it's something I want to own. But, I would gladly try to watch it again if it were on the Criterion channel.

Old 04-15-24, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 855 Likes on 559 Posts

Really pumped for Pat Garrett. Iíve been waiting for that one. More Peckinpah on UHD please.
Old 04-15-24, 05:00 PM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Honestly, Risky Business seems like a joke release - it's not a very good movie.
It's a good commercial release that will help continue to fund what they do.

Originally Posted by DJariya
if it were on the Criterion channel.
It currently is and has been for a bit.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,010 Likes on 712 Posts

I like Risky Business quite a bit. And it's not due to any nostalgia. I never even saw it until the last 5 years or so. It's kind of like the dark flip side to a movie like Ferris Bueller. The cinematography and Tangerine Dream score alone make it worth a watch. IIRC, Ebert loved it. For whatever that's worth.
Old 04-16-24, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
Unfortunately, those new supplements hardly inspire excitement. The commentary and screen tests are old news. At this point, Criterion's lack of effort with extra features are HUGE missed opportunities in my book.
I think it's less about lack of effort than about diminishing budgets in response to dwindling interest in bonus features from buyers.
Old 04-16-24, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I think it's less about lack of effort than about diminishing budgets in response to dwindling interest in bonus features from buyers.
Has Criterion actually done market research on this? Aren't special features (the whole "film-school-in-a-box" idea) one of the key pillars of Criterion? This seems utterly counter-intuitive to me. (Sorry if this has been covered before.)

Old 04-16-24, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While the extras are a draw, the big appeal with Criterion and any boutique label is the title itself. What other label is going to focus on directors like Godard or Truffeau ?
Old 04-16-24, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,734 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Specialty labels from what I can tell still seem to be investing in bonus content. I mean if there is a legacy documentary that has already been produced about a certain film with interviews with all the key players, I don't see why Criterion needs to make a new one. I mean the people still buying Criterion physical media want the full immersive experience and to learn something on the movie right? Otherwise, if you don't care, then you can just watch it on streaming.

On the other hand, major studios have cut back drastically and have in some cases completely dismantled their home video divisions. Remember the days when we used to get 90 minute to 2 hour making of documentaries on major studio releases? You're lucky just to get a 10 minute EPK these days.

But, I'm far from an expert on this.
Brian T (04-16-24)
Old 04-16-24, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 185 Posts

Has Criterion actually done market research on this? Aren't special features (the whole "film-school-in-a-box" idea) one of the key pillars of Criterion? This seems utterly counter-intuitive to me. (Sorry if this has been covered before.)
They used to be, but the fact is that nobody watches those things anymore. Criterion has learned, the same as every other label has, that the presence or lack of bonus features doesn't affect sales of a title in the slightest.
Old 04-16-24, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 834 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I like Risky Business quite a bit. And it's not due to any nostalgia. I never even saw it until the last 5 years or so. It's kind of like the dark flip side to a movie like Ferris Bueller. The cinematography and Tangerine Dream score alone make it worth a watch. IIRC, Ebert loved it. For whatever that's worth.
I agree. I also watched it for the first time in 2017. I really liked it. It is essentially a much darker version of Ferris Bueller's Day off.

Last edited by lwhy?; 04-16-24 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-16-24, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
They used to be, but the fact is that nobody watches those things anymore.
I know you're using hyperbole here, but the spirit of this claim can't actually be verified in any meaningful way. That said, I don't disagree that special features are not the broad draw for physical media collectors that they once were at the height of the DVD/Blu-ray era.

Criterion has learned, the same as every other label has, that the presence or lack of bonus features doesn't affect sales of a title in the slightest.
Perhaps they have, but I don't see much evidence of their approach to special features changing in a significant way. From the Blu-ray era on, Criterion has generally included a combination of archival extras and newly-created extras (usually in the form of video essays or new interviews with participants or film scholars). A quick scan of their Coming Soon releases shows that's still what they're doing. Even if the presence of bonus features doesn't directly correlate to higher sales numbers, bonus features are still a significant aspect of the Criterion brand and they're called out specifically in their stated mission. They may not be putting the same obvious level of effort into creating new bonus features as they did in their Laserdisc and DVD days, but I would argue that's at least in part a function of the fact that so many great archival bonus features already exist.
Old 04-16-24, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
While the extras are a draw, the big appeal with Criterion and any boutique label is the title itself.
Seems like the "special features" component is a no-brainer in the era of streaming, then. One more big selling point for physical media. Otherwise, what's the appeal of a disc when Criterion has its own streaming channel? Ah, I've stumbled on the long-term plan.

Old 04-16-24, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
I don't see much evidence of their approach to special features changing in a significant way. They may not be putting the same obvious level of effort into creating new bonus features as they did in their Laserdisc and DVD days, but I would argue that's at least in part a function of the fact that so many great archival bonus features already exist.
True, but I think Criterion should be placing more of an emphasis on re-evaluation. Not just digging up old shit and providing a new token interview with whoever is available, but offering a fresh modern-day take, whether in the form of a new critical commentary or deeper documentary focus. (IMO) There's nothing worse than being bored by special features, but that's how I'd define Criterion these days. Maybe the lack of interest Josh describes is as a RESULT of what we've mainly been offered. Heck, I remember being totally jazzed about the bonus content on The Breakfast Club. The old saying goes something like, "If you build it, they will come."

Old 04-16-24, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

True, but I think Criterion should be placing more of an emphasis on re-evaluation. Not just digging up old shit and providing a new token interview with whoever is available, but offering a fresh modern-day take, whether in the form of a new critical commentary or deeper documentary focus. (IMO) There's nothing worse than being bored by special features, but that's how I'd define Criterion these days. Maybe the lack of interest Josh describes is as a RESULT of what we've mainly been offered. Heck, I remember being totally jazzed about the bonus content on The Breakfast Club. The old saying goes something like, "If you build it, they will come."
I'm all for more in-depth new bonus features, but I have a hard time being that harsh on Criterion for the level of bonus content they're putting out. In a time when so many 4K releases omit some or all of the special features from previous releases, Criterion generally includes all their own existing bonus material, sometimes licenses existing bonus material that they didn't create, and often includes one or two new bonus features. That's more effort than almost any other label out there. If they create new material of even more significance, that's just gravy to me.
Jason Bovberg (04-16-24)
Old 04-16-24, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,010 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I agree. I also watched it for the first time in2017. I really liked it. It is essentially a much darker version of Ferris Bueller's Day off.
I watched it again last night in light of the announcement. I think it's the third time I've seen it. I stand by what I said above, but man, what a weird movie. For a supposed comedy it's not at all funny. It's a dark capitalist sex fairy tale that wantonly flip-flops between earnest and subversive. "Let's make love on a real train" is simultaneously one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in a movie and one of the hottest. I think it works best if you watch it as though everything that happens once Rebecca DeMornay shows up is a dream, but I'm not sure the movie totally supports this reading. It's no masterpiece, but it's endlessly fascinating.

Also, not mentioned yet, but it seems as though the Criterion will include the director's cut with the original ending intact. As far as I know, this is the first time the directors cut will be seen publicly since the original test screenings.
Old 04-16-24, 07:25 PM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Sometimes you gotta say what the fuck.
Old 04-16-24, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

Bonus features were never really a great draw for actual sales. Studios dived into them because they had huge marketing departments doing very little work at times and some movies became profitable with the DVD/BD release.
Old 04-17-24, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,945 Posts

Well, no one's saying "high art," but it's been getting a re-evaluation. Here's an interesting analysis at Film Cred.

"Risky Business is often lumped in with teen sex comedies, but the film subverts the genre and is a grim satire about the chauvinist fantasies in 1980s America and how they will inform the decadeís patriarchy."
I remember the first time I saw Risky Business (on a VHS rental). I went into expecting a kind of sex comedy like Porky's or (to a lesser extent) Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I ultimately didn't find Risky Business to be that funny... it was actually a rather dark and uncomfortable experience, and most of the humor felt forced and grafted on, like it was a drama that had the underwear dance and the occasional joke stuck in to make it more commercially appealing. (Didn't stop me from pausing during Rebecca De Mornay's nude scene, though. )

Joel is living what should be a sort of upper-middle class teen dream, but all of that wealth that surrounds him feels oppressive most of the time... there's that equalizer he's not supposed to touch, the Porsche he isn't allowed to drive, and his mother is obsessed with that fucking glass egg. And Joel is seemingly sexually frustrated to the point of being what we would today call an "incel."

And it's a sort of "Preppie Nightmare Cycle" film that really captured the zeitgeist of the 80s... materialism, wealth and its trappings, objectification of women, absent and distracted parents, status.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Jason Bovberg (04-18-24), Josh Z (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 09:42 AM

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I ultimately didn't find Risky Business to be that funny... it was actually a rather dark and uncomfortable experience.
Risky Business is kind of like Saturday Night Fever in a way. Both movies have iconic scenes like each movies dance scenes than lead people that haven't seen the films into thinking that Risky Business is a teen sex comedy or that Saturday Night Fever is a goofy disco dancing movies. But when first time viewers finally watch the entire films they are usually surprised at how dark the movies actually are. Both movies are probably due for reevaluation, but I don't expect a Criterion release of SNF anytime soon.
Old 04-18-24, 11:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I watched it again last night in light of the announcement. I think it's the third time I've seen it. I stand by what I said above, but man, what a weird movie. For a supposed comedy it's not at all funny. It's a dark capitalist sex fairy tale that wantonly flip-flops between earnest and subversive. "Let's make love on a real train" is simultaneously one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in a movie and one of the hottest. I think it works best if you watch it as though everything that happens once Rebecca DeMornay shows up is a dream, but I'm not sure the movie totally supports this reading. It's no masterpiece, but it's endlessly fascinating.

Also, not mentioned yet, but it seems as though the Criterion will include the director's cut with the original ending intact. As far as I know, this is the first time the directors cut will be seen publicly since the original test screenings.
This is a good reason for a label like Criterion to revisit such a movie. I assume it was never intended to be a broad comedy, but the studio decided marketing it as such would produce the best financial result. This will allow people to potentially appreciate movies that may have been misunderstood.

See also a movie like Drop Dead Fred. It's a dark comedy about an abusive narcissistic parent. The marketing tried to sell it as a comedy about a goody imaginary friend. Not that I think it's a good movie but many films are presented in a way that is not reflective of the filmmaker's intent.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.