Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do the Right Thing: 20th Anniversary Edition ---> 6/30/09

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Do the Right Thing: 20th Anniversary Edition ---> 6/30/09

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Do the Right Thing: 20th Anniversary Edition ---> 6/30/09

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37694...on-2-disc-set/ I updated my review of the DVD with a link to the DVDBeaver comparison in the Image section and a paragraph in the conclusion.

Had it not been pointed out in this thread, I wouldn't have known.
Old 06-24-09, 01:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37694...on-2-disc-set/ I updated my review of the DVD with a link to the DVDBeaver comparison in the Image section and a paragraph in the conclusion.

Excellent review BTW. Hoping Netflix gets this in so I can give it a spin.
Old 06-24-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Keeping the Criterion for sure. That hue is an integral player in the movie, helping convey the heat of the day.
Old 06-24-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Excellent review BTW. Hoping Netflix gets this in so I can give it a spin.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jray
Jesus Christ. Unbelievable. Those comparison screenshots really speak a thousand words.

I don't understand how, after... what, 12 years now?... in the DVD and Blu-Ray business, companies are still screwing up color timing of movies. It seems like every time a "classic" gets cleaned up and re-released they screw it up (see: Halloween). It boggles my mind.
I think they're just trying to cater to what they think people will want. It's the same reason they use things like DNR and EE. They think people want natural, sharp, clean video, as if you're looking out of a window. Most people would probably prefer the BD's color timing, if they didn't know the filter was intentional.

It's a shame, but all we can really do is let our voices be heard and vote with our wallets, I guess.
Old 06-24-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Bummer. Might have to just go ahead and pick up the Criterion disc.
Old 06-24-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been a fan of the color timing on the Criterion disc. I know it's intentional but it doesn't make it feel any hotter to me. It just feels more unnaturally orange. The color on the new release may be enough for me to bite. Maybe the Criterion will be worth a little more now.

Silly question. Can't people just pick up the BD and adjust the hue on their TV?
Old 06-24-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the Criterion dvd transfer is the same one as what's in the Spike Lee Collection?
Old 06-24-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll still pick up the Blu-Ray. It'll be a different experience watching the movie without the orange tint on the Criterion.
Old 06-24-09, 10:22 PM
SSF

I updated my review of the DVD with a link to the DVDBeaver comparison in the Image section and a paragraph in the conclusion.

How would you not have known? This is the first time in the film's 20 year history that it has been shown without the yellow tint.

Dickerson's cinematography for this film is famous.

It most certainly is a deal breaker, since the film was photographed and composed with these colours in mind. Without the tint the film looks completely ugly; lessening its impact.
Old 06-25-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Does anyone know if the Criterion dvd transfer is the same one as what's in the Spike Lee Collection?
As per my review, the transfer in the "Spike Lee Joint Collection" seems to be identical to the one on this 20th Anniversary DVD.
Originally Posted by SSF
How would you not have known? This is the first time in the film's 20 year history that it has been shown without the yellow tint.

Dickerson's cinematography for this film is famous.

It most certainly is a deal breaker, since the film was photographed and composed with these colours in mind. Without the tint the film looks completely ugly; lessening its impact.
Also mentioned in my review is that I was seeing the movie for the first time. Generally I don't learn much about a movie until after I have seen it, to avoid spoilers, so I had no idea about the cinematography. Additionally, it's mentioned on the extras, but there are definitely some shots on the DVD that exhibit an orange tint, so I just figured it wasn't an extreme effect.
Old 06-25-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's amazing that people don't see the importance of this issue at this site. To me, the color issue is just as important as having the correct aspect ratio. Maybe its a generation gap thing. I saw DTRT in the theaters in 1989, twenty years ago. My first impression of this film is the color. That and the Rosie Perez credit sequence is burned in my mind. My point of view (and importance) of the film might differ from somebody who is more used to the digital/hi-def age. IMHO, I don't mind if older/catalog titles contain grain on the Blu-Ray, or if a film is released in 7.1. Just be respectful of the original presentations in the theaters is all I ask for.

Last edited by Tom Creo; 06-25-09 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-25-09, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Another fucked-up Blu-ray transfer.

You know, I'm getting really tired of not being able to buy Blu-ray discs without reading reviews first. This is getting ridiculous... this is supposed to be the ultimate format for home theater, and it seems like half of the discs that get released have something wrong with them.
Old 06-25-09, 07:04 AM

As per my review, the transfer in the "Spike Lee Joint Collection" seems to be identical to the one on this 20th Anniversary DVD.
Neither of those is the Criterion edition. They are both from Universal.
Old 06-25-09, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tom creo
it's amazing that people don't see the importance of this issue at this site. To me, the color issue is just as important as having the correct aspect ratio.
+1.
Old 06-25-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

On sale at Amazon for 18.99. Despite the color issue I can't pass on this movie as it is one of my favorites and an important piece in the history of film (IMHO).
Old 06-25-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Despite the color issue I can't pass on this movie as it is one of my favorites and an important piece in the history of film (IMHO).
That's funny because those are precisely the reasons I must pass on it.

Tell me, would you buy a disc of Fight Club if someone had gone in and "cleaned it up" by removing those distracting flash-frames of Tyler Durden?

Last edited by Doctorossi; 06-25-09 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-25-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I'll be passing on it.

Spike is going to be at the Lincoln Center Barnes and Noble in NYC on Tuesday signing copies. Any NY-area members want to go there and ask him what's up?
Old 06-25-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Tell me, would you buy a disc of Fight Club if someone had gone in and "cleaned it up" by removing those distracting flash-frames of Tyler Durden?
Nope.
Old 06-25-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Contact Form for Universal Home Entertainment:

http://www.universalstudios.com/cont...hp?email_id=10
Old 06-25-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jray
Neither of those is the Criterion edition. They are both from Universal.
Yes, but I was responding to a question.
Originally Posted by tom creo
it's amazing that people don't see the importance of this issue at this site. To me, the color issue is just as important as having the correct aspect ratio.
Again, I can only say what I said in my write-up, which is that while the color issue is absolutely an artistic concern and should be addressed -- asking Lee about it at that signing would be a great idea -- as a first-time viewer, I have a hard time believing this alteration significantly changed the way I watched the movie. I still understood that it was hot, I could still feel it watching the film (probably because I hate the heat, so I immediately fell into that mindset), and again, there are still plenty of shots in the movie that exhibit the heavy orange tint. It's just like the debate over Halloween. I can see why it's a dealbreaker for people, and it's absolutely something important to discuss and address with the studio and whoever else can be asked about it, but on a case-by-case basis, in this case, it didn't change, for me, what Spike Lee had in mind when he wrote and directed the film.

If Universal addresses this issue with a new transfer and new discs, I will certainly change my review to note the corrected transfer, but I stand by my Collector's Series rating because everything else about the disc -- the qualities of the transfer outside the color timing, the audio, the special features, the price -- is excellent. But compared to something like Let the Right One In, where alternate subtitles actually alters the characterization of the of the characters through the dialogue, or some sort of outright film editing or censorship, I would leave this up to the prerogative of the viewer, mainly because the relevant things conveyed by the timing (the heat) were, in my opinion, adequately expressed through other factors in the movie.

I've placed these paragraphs in the image section of my review, with some slight revisions.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 06-25-09 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-25-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

in this case, it didn't change, for me, what Spike Lee had in mind when he wrote and directed the film.
That's a lot easier to say when you haven't seen it the way he did intend it to be.

If Darth Vader had been voiced by Gene Hackman instead of James Earl Jones, other aspects of the production of Star Wars would've still given you the general idea that the character is powerful, nasty and imposing, but it wouldn't have had the same impact, would it?
Old 06-25-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
That's a lot easier to say when you haven't seen it the way he did intend it to be.

If Darth Vader had been voiced by Gene Hackman instead of James Earl Jones, other aspects of the production of Star Wars would've still given you the general idea that the character is powerful, nasty and imposing, but it wouldn't have had the same impact, would it?
I have seen the image comparisons. Unless there's more to it than that I'm not aware of, I feel I'm capable of imagining the movie with stronger orange filters than are present on the Universal disc.
Old 06-25-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'll just watch it with my shades open to feel the heat.
Old 06-25-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The old Universal has the correct color timing right? The non-anamorphic one? I'm sure that's the one my local video store would have (seems unlikely that a Hollywood Video would carry the Criterion), so I could always rent it and take a look at it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.