Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do the Right Thing: 20th Anniversary Edition ---> 6/30/09

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Do the Right Thing: 20th Anniversary Edition ---> 6/30/09

Old 06-27-09, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Do the Right Thing: 20th Anniversary Edition ---> 6/30/09

Originally Posted by Drexl
I wonder if it could be corrected if played back on a computer, adjusting the color levels.
Oh god, that had better not become a staple for blu ray releases in the near future. Correct-o-color.
Old 06-27-09, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm getting this as well. I can't wait for someone to talk with Spike about this and him say that this is the way that he ultimately intended the movie to look. I can't imagine that he is going to make as big a deal about the color-timing that some of us are. If he does then maybe he will make something happen as far as a replacement in the near future.
Old 06-27-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This whole issue sucks. I never got around to getting the Criterion (too pricey) but I LOVE this movie, so I've been really looking forward to this release - but the colour timing thing is really offputting...how could Universal be so careless? ugh.
Old 06-27-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll pass.
Old 06-27-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately, I may have to pass on this as well.

What a disappointment.
Old 06-28-09, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'm getting this as well. I can't wait for someone to talk with Spike about this and him say that this is the way that he ultimately intended the movie to look. I can't imagine that he is going to make as big a deal about the color-timing that some of us are.
Ernest Dickerson, cinematographer: Spike and I were sitting together on a plane to Los Angeles and he was writing a script on a legal pad. The title at that point was "Heat Wave." He then asked me, "How do you portray heat on film? How do you get the audience to really feel it?" I remember we talked about having car radiators boiling over, hot asphalt and steam.

Yeah, the color timing is really no big thing to Spike.
Old 06-28-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Color me crazy, but I think the review is spot on. Granted this is a huge issue (from the artistic perspective),it appears that the reviewer still got it (the film's intentions) anyways. But as a reviewer, you need to take everything into account. That was stressed in the reviewer's previous posts. And I feel that is more than sufficient.

Aside from this issue, it is not going to stop me from getting it, only if Uni decides to re-press it. This is too good a film to pass up.
Old 06-28-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
This is too good a film to pass up.
It' too good a film to watch in such a carelessly altered state.
Old 06-29-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by SSF
It should have gone straight to Skip It.
Just so you know, by refusing to buy this disc because it's not the right color, that makes you a racist.
Old 06-29-09, 01:50 PM
SSF

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I like how you quoted me and then proceeded to say the above quote. Even if you disagree with what I'm saying, this isn't one of the points I was making.
That's nice. But since I said "DVDTalk" and not you specifically...ugh...nevermind.

I'm still asking so what? Who cares about the "thematic issues" and the "other factors" and weither or not you "felt the heat?"

Who cares?

Again, I don't have much more to say on the subject than I already have. The best defense I really have for myself is that I did debate this issue, I have reasons that I've taken the time to think about and weigh the options and all of that, and I still hope everyone who finds this to be an unconscionable dealbreaker write Universal and tell them why you're not buying the DVD/BD. Even if I don't agree that it's as bad as misframing the film, I have read and considered all the counterarguments.
And you failed...and that would be fine normally, except that you're supposed to be like...a professional writer...who's like, being paid to write DVD reviews...so ya should like know, something about cinema history. Especially since you're glowing review will no doubt be quoted and posted all the around the net, misguiding so many to buying a wrong version of the film.

Ugh...well, if they forget the girl with the red dress in the BluRay of Schindler's List, please try to at least catch that one, kay?
Old 06-29-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by SSF
That's nice. But since I said "DVDTalk" and not you specifically...ugh...nevermind.

I'm still asking so what? Who cares about the "thematic issues" and the "other factors" and weither or not you "felt the heat?"

Who cares?
The reason the color timing issue is important is not because Spike Lee and Ernest Dickerson sat down with a bunch of checkboxes and checked "red tint" on a filter list, they were using the colors to accomplish something with the look of the film. If you don't care about the "thematic issues" or whether I "felt the heat", it seems like a completely moot point. Why care so much about something if you don't have a reason other than someone saying that one is right and one is wrong?
Originally Posted by SSF
And you failed...and that would be fine normally, except that you're supposed to be like...a professional writer...who's like, being paid to write DVD reviews...so ya should like know, something about cinema history. Especially since you're glowing review will no doubt be quoted and posted all the around the net, misguiding so many to buying a wrong version of the film.

Ugh...well, if they forget the girl with the red dress in the BluRay of Schindler's List, please try to at least catch that one, kay?
First off, whether my justification "failed" or not is entirely subjective. Whatever anyone feels about the transfer is fine by me. Furthermore, I don't actually get paid to write for DVDTalk (neither do most internet critics, as far as I can tell), but a) it's not like I don't know that the transfer is incorrect and/or are somehow duping people into thinking that the transfer is accurate b) what I stressed in my review is making sure the consumer had the facts with which to make their own mind up. I'm sure you'll see more and more reviews on other websites that don't even consider or address the color issue, but whether or not they buy the DVD/BD, if they read my review, they will be informed that there is a color issue. I told people it was incorrect, I provided the necessary information to contact Universal and complain, and then I added my opinion, which is what a review is meant to be. It's not like I sit around writing reviews in fear that someone will disagree with me. It's not a concrete statement about the film, it's my personal two cents on the issue, otherwise DVDTalk wouldn't run multiple reviews for the same film, as if to say the site has one absolute opinion on the issue and no other could ever be considered. If it bothers you, read different reviews or read another website.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 06-29-09 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Droidguy,
In all honestly, I have no beef with your review. In fact, its refreshing to see that you went back and edited it to reflect the color issue. Too many times on the internet differences of opinion just turn into extreme pissing matches. Plus, you seem to agree with your detractors about how disappointing it is to have this Blu ray turn out like it did. I (and many others) applaud your contribution to the site and I hope that point doesn't get lost in this discussion.-Steven
Old 06-29-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Droidguy,
In all honestly, I have no beef with your review. In fact, its refreshing to see that you went back and edited it to reflect the color issue. Too many times on the internet differences of opinion just turn into extreme pissing matches. Plus, you seem to agree with your detractors about how disappointing it is to have this Blu ray turn out like it did. I (and many others) applaud your contribution to the site and I hope that point doesn't get lost in this discussion.-Steven
Thanks. The main thing to remember is that if we can get the issue to Universal's attention and they issue a corrected disc/replacement program, then everybody wins. In the meantime I can only give my personal opinion on what was put in front of me.
Old 06-29-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Droidguy,
I feel like I'm in a mens urinal at a football stadium while in this thread. It has been one huge argument over an aspect of the transfer. I understand it is a big deal to quite a few of you out here but it seems like something that would be hard to "slip" by Spike Lee is this was not the way he wanted it to be presented on Blu-Ray. Now, we can be upset and rant or not even purchase it if you choose but that doesn't take away from the fact that it IS still a damn fine movie despite the color issue.
Old 06-29-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

See, here's the thing. DTRT is a piece of art I hold in high regard. The issue with the transfer is very dissapointing. Criterion had the transfer approved by Dickerson so the people involved wih that release understood the importance. What changed? Another question: if Spike was involved with the release (he contributed to the extras) did he not have a say on the issue? Does he need to give approval? Did he have a look of the new transfer?

Also, regardless if you find a decent price on this, this is priced at a premium (blu ray). Do the studios expect us to pay this premium on such careless releases?
Old 06-29-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

See, here's the thing. DTRT is a piece of art I hold in high regard. The issue with the transfer is very dissapointing. Criterion had the transfer approved by Dickerson so the people involved wih that release understood the importance. What changed? Another question: if Spike was involved with the release (he contributed to the extras) did he not have a say on the issue? Does he need to give approval? Did he have a look of the new transfer?

Also, regardless if you find a decent price on this, this is priced at a premium (blu ray). Do the studios expect us to pay this premium on such careless releases?
In general, filmmakers are not asked to check transfers, as far as I know. That's why they usually make a big deal out of it when the effort is taken to have someone do it.

On the other hand, Spike recorded a commentary, and he obviously watched the movie while commenting on it, but they probably had an old transfer running, which is sort of ironic.
Old 06-29-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In general, filmmakers are not asked to check transfers, as far as I know. That's why they usually make a big deal out of it when the effort is taken to have someone do it.

On the other hand, Spike recorded a commentary, and he obviously watched the movie while commenting on it, but they probably had an old transfer running, which is sort of ironic.
Should we just assume this? Maybe he was watching the new transfer and the color timing issue never even came to mind.
Old 06-29-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSF

Who cares?

I miss being 15.
Old 06-30-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I feel like I'm in a mens urinal at a football stadium while in this thread.
BTW, ever had the "pleasure" of using the troughs at Wrigley. Nothing like having another man's piss mist on ya while said man is downing an italian beef. With two hands. I kid you not.

Last edited by Tom Creo; 06-30-09 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-30-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, ever had the "pleasure" of using the troughs at Wrigley. Nothing like having another man's piss mist on ya while said man is downing an italian beef. With two hands. I kid you not.
No gracias! I'm a Cards fan so I have no reason to go to Wrigley. And you just gave me another reason to not want to go.
Old 07-26-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Donīt care one bit about the tint-issue. The story is still the same GREAT one.

Iīm buying it.
Old 07-26-09, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dane

Iīm buying it.
That's why I'm buying the colorized version of Casablanca! Same great story, right?
Old 07-26-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dane

Iīm buying it.
If the story is all that you care about, then why not just stick with the DVD?
Old 07-26-09, 07:26 PM

I really don't understand why they "fixed" the color timing. I mean, the image looks so good and the new extras are really enticing, but for Universal to just dump a highly important visual touch turns me off completely. I mean, is Warner's going to remove all of Zsigmond's filters when they put out McCabe & Mrs. Miller?
Old 07-27-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no way I'd get the Blu-ray because of this. Universal should offer an exchange program with corrected discs if they really care about the film, it's fans, and the people responsible for making it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.