Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Blind bought Observe and Report out of boredom after work the other night. I felt like watching something so I figured it looked okay. Brought it home and watched it, what a piece of crap this movie turned out to be. I didn't find it funny in the least and I get that it was supposed to be a darker style comedy but even so it just didn't work for me. Seth Rogen has basically confirmed to me with this movie that he is one of the most hit and miss actors out there right now. Overall very disappointed in the movie and give it 2 out of 5 which is being generous. I hate to compare the movies (though its hard not to when both were kinda the same idea with just totally different executions) but as dumb a movie as Paul Blart was at least it got a few chuckles out of me and was fine for what it was just a goofy comedy.
Old 09-27-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 315 Posts

Wow. A lot of hate for O&R in this thread, with little to no reason given.

And since this isn't exactly a thread for such things, I'll just link this 10/10 review of it, which I pretty much agree with, and leave it at that.
Old 09-28-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

And since this isn't exactly a thread for such things, I'll just link this 10/10 review of it, which I pretty much agree with, and leave it at that.
This isn't really the thread for extended reviews of movies. Some people will mention a movie and then offer nothing at all. I always mention PQ, AQ and an overall impression of the film. If I feel very strongly about a movie one way or the other I'll look up the thread in movie talk and offer my views there, which I did in this case as well.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9734077-post126.html

Also as I had mentioned this seems to be a love-it or hate-it. People were either 2/10 or 8/10
Old 09-28-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

This weekend I watched:

Duplicity
State Of Play
Ten Commandments (Hallmark)
Observe & Report

The AQ & PQ were good not great on each title. However, Duplicity, while starting out good stumbled on itself roughly 35-40 minutes in and I had to turn it off. State Of Play was way too convoluted for its own good. It worked so hard to make its point and then upended that point as well. Definately selling this one too.
Ten Commandments, Meh remake. 3 hours of plain meh. The PQ was a mixed bag. There were times when the images looked almost 3D but for the most part the PQ was nothing special.
Observe & report, had moments of hilarity but overall it's a pile of poo. Darkly funny at times but not worth a purchase or a rental. And what the hell was up with the last 30 minutes of this film??? Not funny at all and not even remotely watchable. So for four films watched this weekend, four are going up on ebay and that is a first for me!

Last edited by buckee1; 09-28-09 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-28-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Day of the Dead (the Romero one) - very weak movie.
Old 09-28-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckee1
So for four films watched this weekend, four are going up on ebay and that is a first for me!
This is why I don't make as many blind buys anymore. In fact, now I try and limit that as much as possible. Sometimes I still can't help myself though when I find $6 Blu-ray's and $3 DVD's... it's terrible when this happens though, and I hate having bad movies in my collection, so getting through a lot of blind buys this year is a new priority for me.
Old 09-28-09, 12:10 PM

I'm gonna have to make this my new mantra! I was burned hard here @ $26-$29 a piece. If I haven't seen it, it's gonna have to get a rental. Netflix here i come...again.
Old 09-28-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna have to make this my new mantra! I was burned hard here @ $26-$29 a piece. If I haven't seen it, it's gonna have to get a rental. Netflix here i come...again.
Out of the 123 Blu titles I have only 4 were purchased sight unseen and a couple were the promo discs. I BB everything now. Too expensive and too much trouble to buy and then sell those I don't want.

Band Of Brothers disc 4 Breaking Point and Last Patrol plus some of the Extras.
Old 09-28-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Day of the Dead (the Romero one) - very weak movie.
The acting is awful, but the FX are incredible for their day.
Old 09-28-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Being a Netflix user has already saved me a TON of money on blind-buys. It has also helped me to determine what films are worth owning in my collection and where I should invest that money into, rather than waste. I love Netflix. And at least where I live, I hardly ever have to wait to receive any Blu-ray title I want.
Old 09-28-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

"Star Trek: First Contact" BD: Beautiful video, unimpressive audio

"Stargate: Extended Cut" BD: Beautiful video, decent audio
Old 09-29-09, 08:10 AM

Wolverine.
What a shitty movie that was!
Old 09-29-09, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Midnight Movie.

An interesting, above average slasher flick. I liked it quite a bit.
Old 09-29-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Opium and the Kung-Fu Master

This is like an after-school special disguised as a kick-ass kung-fu flick. Lots of great fighting, a surprisingly positive message and the PQ was gorgeous. I want more SB flicks on BD now!
Old 09-29-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Opium and the Kung-Fu Master

This is like an after-school special disguised as a kick-ass kung-fu flick. Lots of great fighting, a surprisingly positive message and the PQ was gorgeous. I want more SB flicks on BD now!
glad you liked it!
Old 09-29-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Band Of Brothers disc 5 why we fight and points, then watched the BoB documentary which always chokes me up.
Old 09-29-09, 10:35 PM

I watched Coraline with my Grandmother today. the both of us really enjoyed it.
Old 09-29-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Wizard of Oz. A classic, through and through. This will always be one of my all time favorite movies and this Blu-ray release provides a near-perfect presentation of the film. Well done, Warner Bros.
Old 09-30-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had a long day today... watched WooZ, Dark Crystal, TCM 2003 and Twister. Just need to watch Labyrinth tonight.
Old 09-30-09, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
The Wizard of Oz. A classic, through and through. This will always be one of my all time favorite movies and this Blu-ray release provides a near-perfect presentation of the film. Well done, Warner Bros.

The effort by WB on this title has me extremely excited about the upcoming North By Northwest and Gone With the Wind.
Old 09-30-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deep Impact Nice presentation in terms of PQ and AQ. I had forgotten how many familiar faces were in this movie. Prefer Armageddon between the two. Deep has better character development and a real look at what if.. Armageddon has much more kick ass asteroid destroying carnage.
Old 09-30-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 486 Posts

Just finished watching Monster vs Aliens. The PQ and AQ are top notch. There's only a few scattered and very slight (I cannot stress enough that they are very slight) traces of ringing. Great amount of LFE and lots of directionality in the front as well as the surrounds.

The only odd thing is the volume of the audio. It's rather low. Normally when I watch movies with Dolby TrueHD, I set the volume to -10 (or -14 for Sony titles in Dolby TrueHD) on my Onkyo 705. Likewise for PCM tracks and -14 for most DTS-HD MA tracks. I had to crank up this disc all the way to 0 for it to sound good. Just a friendly heads up.
Old 09-30-09, 04:28 PM

Superman
Old 09-30-09, 08:54 PM

Monsters Vs. Aliens PQ was phenomenal seriously demo material. Audio was good not great. Like RocShemp said, it was lower than I was expecting. It definately required cranking far more than any of my other Dolby TrueHD titles. Hated the movie, but enjoyed the presentation.
Old 09-30-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Monsters Vs. Aliens PQ was phenomenal seriously demo material. Audio was good not great. Like RocShemp said, it was lower than I was expecting. It definately required cranking far more than any of my other Dolby TrueHD titles. Hated the movie, but enjoyed the presentation.
You hated it? Wow. It wasn't another blind buy was it? This is why I'm stopping that mostly... though I was tempted to blind buy this at Walmart next week for $20 - the $4 coupon. Guess it would be wise not to. I'll give it a rent, maybe - I don't like most of the Dreamworks Animation films so the odds aren't that great to be honest. The best was Kung Fu Panda and it wasn't worth owning IMHO.

The Wizard of Oz had low volume for me, speaking of that, I had to crank it up to around -15 for it to be listenable. Usually I leave the audio around -30 or -26 on my Denon 1909 and that seems to work wonders. That wasn't the case here. I suppose that's probably directly related to the film's age.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.