Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Moon - More proof (as if we need more) that the Oscars are utterly meaningless. Was Rockwell even nominated for this? I don't follow them, but I know he didn't win & this is one of the greatest performances of the past 10+ years on screen. Proves again why he is one of the truly great actors we have. A briliant debut film from Jones. If there is any complaint its just that Kevin Spacy was the voice of the robot, because, well. . . it just sounds like Kevin Spacey. Two great commentaries also.
Old 07-02-10, 10:24 AM

Last night I watched Shuttle Island...good film and looked great in HD
Old 07-02-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Watched the first two episodes of Rome at my friend's last night. Damn good show. I might just have to buy that complete series set.
Old 07-02-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Death Race 2000 - One of my favorite movies. I'm so glad it made it to BD.
Old 07-02-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Undisputed III: Redemption - This is the Citizen Kane of B-movies. Its better than any mainstream action movie I can think of in the last decade. Just a total bad-ass throwback to films like Bloodsport. I have no clue why Scott Adkins isn't a bigger star yet they make action movies starring Ice Cube. I want a franchise built on Boyka. And what a difference in watching this film on Blu-Ray compared to the first two on DVD.
Old 07-02-10, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Five Minutes of Heaven - Meh, a dull and pointless film that could have, and should have been much more.
Old 07-02-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto [Blu-ray] -- Cool!
Old 07-02-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sherlock Holmes Not a bad flick but i always thought Sherlock was an 1800's Mentalist or Monk, solving crimes with observation leaving the action to Watson.

Book Of Eli Just popped it in and it seems to be pretty slow moving. Thinking about turning it off. Ended up being a decent rental

Last edited by JimRochester; 07-02-10 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-02-10, 10:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Moon - More proof (as if we need more) that the Oscars are utterly meaningless. Was Rockwell even nominated for this? I don't follow them, but I know he didn't win & this is one of the greatest performances of the past 10+ years on screen. Proves again why he is one of the truly great actors we have. A briliant debut film from Jones. If there is any complaint its just that Kevin Spacy was the voice of the robot, because, well. . . it just sounds like Kevin Spacey. Two great commentaries also.
Thanks for the reminder to watch this this month for the Challenge. My favorite film of last year I think.
Old 07-02-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

District 9

Third time watching it. The first time was in the theater and I loved it. Second time was on Blu and I thought it was boring. Third time was on Blu and I loved it as much as the first time. Weird. But I really do think this movie is one of the best films 2009 had to offer.

The video quality of this disc is fantastic. It's a prefect example of how good a movie shot digitally can look with a proper transfer. It's absolutely beautiful to look at. What I like about the Red One camera is that it gives the image a cinematic look, where as the F35 or F23 for example don't. They look like video. The only thing missing with a digitally captured image is life. It looks nice and clear but it lacks the grain and organic feel of 35mm, which I love (the grain/organic look). The sound is nice, the rear speakers were used quite often but not excessively. The audio is crystal clear, not muffled. My only complaint would be that the sub woofer is not used as much as it should be. Overall, it's a great disc and I would consider it demo worthy.

Last edited by Blu Man; 07-02-10 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-03-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
Last watched:

Lola Montès. I honestly had no idea what to expect when I put this on. I had never seen a Max Ophüls film before. Surely, based on this masterpiece, I should try and see more of his movies.
I didn't care that much for Lola Montes, but I saw it had a festival & I had to leave for part of it, so I admit I need to revisit it. You absolutely need to see The Earings of Madame De . . . Its his true masterpiece IMO, Danielle Darrieux is so beautiful in it I could watch her all day. Its such a great film with some amazing camera work & a classic story. I'd like to know what you think of it.
Old 07-03-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ophuls American films are great as well - The Reckless Moment, Letter from an Unknown Woman and Caught - and all have decent R2 releases from Second Sight with commentaries and typically edifying video essays by Tag Gallagher. His analysis of Letter in particular made me reevaluate the entire film. You can currently buy all three for £19.97 combined from Amazon UK - highly recommended!
Old 07-03-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Total Recall

First time watching the film uncut. Fun times!
Old 07-03-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Blu Man
District 9

Third time watching it. The first time was in the theater and I loved it. Second time was on Blu and I thought it was boring. Third time was on Blu and I loved it as much as the first time. Weird. But I really do think this movie is one of the best films 2009 had to offer.

The video quality of this disc is fantastic. It's a prefect example of how good a movie shot digitally can look with a proper transfer. It's absolutely beautiful to look at. What I like about the Red One camera is that it gives the image a cinematic look, where as the F35 or F23 for example don't. They look like video. The only thing missing with a digitally captured image is life. It looks nice and clear but it lacks the grain and organic feel of 35mm, which I love (the grain/organic look). The sound is nice, the rear speakers were used quite often but not excessively. The audio is crystal clear, not muffled. My only complaint would be that the sub woofer is not used as much as it should be. Overall, it's a great disc and I would consider it demo worthy.
Tried watching this and it is one of the few I turned off. I just couldn't get in to it but I probably deprived myself of something a little different
Old 07-03-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Minority Report Great picture and sound. Some people said they thought it was a dream but I didn't see that in it.

Old School BLUUUEE!
Old 07-04-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

True Blood: Season Two - Wow, this looked amazing. The whole season was absolutley awesome, I loved the mythos they added to the show, far far more interesting than the first season (though that was very good anyway). I held off on watching this because I figured I couldn't get into it, but I LOVED it. It was so crazy.

Tango & Cash - This is the EXACT kind of movie I wanted to watch tonight. How awesome are Stallone and Russell? This movie just fucking oozes cool, I was completely entertained. PQ seemed decent, kind of dark.
Old 07-04-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't care that much for Lola Montes, but I saw it had a festival & I had to leave for part of it, so I admit I need to revisit it. You absolutely need to see The Earings of Madame De . . . Its his true masterpiece IMO, Danielle Darrieux is so beautiful in it I could watch her all day. Its such a great film with some amazing camera work & a classic story. I'd like to know what you think of it.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've added it to my Netflix Que. I will definitely make a post about it, and let you know what I think of the film when I watch it. If it's as good as you say I imagine I'll be picking it up during the B&N Criterion sale shortly as well.
Old 07-04-10, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - Excellent movie and great looking Blu-ray.
Old 07-04-10, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Tried watching this and it is one of the few I turned off. I just couldn't get in to it but I probably deprived myself of something a little different
Wouldn't say that - although I would advocate at least finishing it. Enjoyed it thoroughly in the theaters, but have since watched it twice on Blu-ray and ended up selling it. Phenomenal A/V quality and the premise of the film is great, but the delivery is flawed - especially notable in the second and third acts, IMHO. The best real sci-fi film of 2009 is far more rewarding - that would be Duncan Jones', Moon.

--

Last BD watched - Rambo (2008) aahhhh, a breathe of fresh air. Ridiculously over the top, hard edged and silly - everything that I could expect from a mid 80's action film - done two years ago!
Old 07-04-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Nope, its become one of those films people get offended if you don't think its brilliant like they do. I think its extremely overrated & not nearly the masterpiece many make it out to be. Saw it in the theater & have no desire to see it again.

Last watched . . .

Death Race 2000 - Amazing how a film like this can get more care & attention in its transfer than most modern films released on Blu-Ray. The movie is just 57 different kinds of awesome. One of the best releases of the year.
Old 07-04-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Green Zone Good, but I was disapponted in the film despite the message, which I agreed with. Just never clicked with me.
Old 07-04-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sex Drive. I don't know why I like this movie so much but I do.
Old 07-04-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope, its become one of those films people get offended if you don't think its brilliant like they do. I think its extremely overrated & not nearly the masterpiece many make it out to be. Saw it in the theater & have no desire to see it again.
I dunno, it's one of those movies that you either love or hate. I thought it was the big surprise of 2009, nobody really expected anything from it until after Comic Con. I don't think it's a master peice, but to me it's great science fiction, as is Moon.
Old 07-04-10, 05:57 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Watching the 'Toy Story' movies with my son - getting ready to see 'Toy Story 3' in the next week or so and he's never seen them.
Old 07-04-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
The Green Zone Good, but I was disapponted in the film despite the message, which I agreed with. Just never clicked with me.
I just watched this too, and was really well-made and I liked it fine, but yeah, at the end of it I was just kinda like "okay, so what".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.