Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Old 06-27-10, 08:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 652 Likes on 437 Posts
re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

The Cowboys
Old 06-27-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spy Kids. This is probably the best in the trilogy (though I'm a pretty big fan of the second one as well). I just love all things Robert Rodriguez and this film is no exception. It's a zany, creative, original family-fun ride of a film. One thing I never noticed before is that Danny Trejo is literally playing Machete in this movie (years following whatever he does in the upcoming film I'd imagine).

Cars. One of my favorite Pixar films. The story and characters are great, and it fills you with the nice warm feeling you get from nostalgia. This movie always lifts my spirits.

Lady in the Water. I know that most people hate this, but I'm a huge fan of M. Night Shyamalan, and this film is no exception. In fact, I'll have to go against the general consensus to the extreme and add that this is one of my favorites from him. It's a fable, a fairy-tale... a bedtime story. A grown-up film for the child in all of us. If you can get past the unrealistic nature of this film (but really, don't you have to if you adore all things Shyamalan?) I really think you'll discover that this is a beautiful art film, with an amazing score, gorgeous cinematography, and a good lesson for children of all ages (that includes adults) about everyone playing a role in each others lives, in finding our place in the world - that we are all a part of something meaningful. And the metaphors that fill this film are bountiful, and worthy of the time you can spend analyzing them. This is probably one of my favorite films, period.
Old 06-27-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knocked Up - I'm not an Apatow hater like most here. I rarely watch comedies & haven't seen this since the theater. Watched the longer cut of it, I just really love this movie. I still think its Rogen's best work, the humor works & think its actually an extremely well-written script with a great supporting cast.
Old 06-27-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terminator Salvation

I was not impressed by this film when I saw it in theaters. I thought that it didn't live up to the hype, and it didn't feel like it belonged in the same group of films as Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Hell, I hated it so much that at one point I even made the outrageous claim that I liked Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen better. Well I gave the film a second chance after purchasing it cheap, I still stand by my claim that Judgement Day was better, but this film is by no means a failure and definitely should not be likened to the second Transformers film. My only real gripe with this film is that it goes nowhere. No progression is made to further along the "Sky Net" story. Actually some progression is made, such as reuniting Kyle with John, but that's a incremental step in the story. I was hopping that they would conclude the story with this film, and they didn't. That's probably the main source of my initial disappointment, but I'm over that now and can enjoy the film for what it is.

The Blu Ray itself is breathtaking. The sound is amazing, easily the best sound mix I have ever heard from a Blu Ray disc. The bass is especially incredible, the walls and tables in my HT were shaking constantly. The rear speaker activity was perfect, it wasn't over done to a point that it becomes a distraction, it was just right. The video was also very good. It looks a lot like Shutter Island, The Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man in terms of grain replication. Based off of memory, it seemed to replicate the bleakness of the original 35mm print well. Overall, it's an awesome A/V experience.

Last edited by Blu Man; 06-27-10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-27-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Iron Man - First time I watched this since it was released on BD. I loved it the first time around and this viewing only reinforced that, great movie. Excellent PQ!

Wayne's World 2 - Not as good as the first, but still awesome nonetheless. I guess I never noticed the awesome soundtrack until this viewing either, which made the movie even better. I also noticed at the beginning of the credits it looks like someone accidentally hits the camera as it shows a shot of Wayne and Garth's new place.
Old 06-27-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Galaxy of Terror
Forbidden World

Both looked great. Had never seen either and was very surprised by both--I saw a few people call these "A-" instead of "B" movies and I would have to agree.
Old 06-27-10, 06:39 PM

Wolfman - Better than the reviews lead me to believe. I only saw the unrated version. It certainly has problems with over-directing and some poor acting, but overall I enjoyed it.
Old 06-27-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toldawg128
Wolfman - Better than the reviews lead me to believe. I only saw the unrated version. It certainly has problems with over-directing and some poor acting, but overall I enjoyed it.
I agree. I think The Wolfman is a really underrated movie, I don't understand all the hate for it. But, like you, I also have only seen the unrated version, which I've heard is much better then the theatrical cut.
Old 06-27-10, 08:26 PM

The Third Man
Old 06-27-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Knocked Up - I'm not an Apatow hater like most here. I rarely watch comedies & haven't seen this since the theater. Watched the longer cut of it, I just really love this movie. I still think its Rogen's best work, the humor works & think its actually an extremely well-written script with a great supporting cast.
I didn't even realize we had a lot of Apatow haters here. I'm a huge fan myself (still haven't watched Knocked Up since buying the Blu-ray though). Knocked Up is great.

Last watched:

Pinocchio. One of my favorites of the classic Disney-animation films, I've always had a special place in my heart for it.
Old 06-27-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I agree. I think The Wolfman is a really underrated movie, I don't understand all the hate for it. But, like you, I also have only seen the unrated version, which I've heard is much better then the theatrical cut.
Me three. I've also only seen the unrated cut - seems like a thread...

Originally Posted by GenPion
Pinocchio. One of my favorites of the classic Disney-animation films, I've always had a special place in my heart for it.
I believe it to still be the greatest artistic achievement in animated film.
Old 06-27-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I didn't even realize we had a lot of Apatow haters here. I'm a huge fan myself (still haven't watched Knocked Up since buying the Blu-ray though). Knocked Up is great.
I think I read about 6 or 7 posts recently stating how there is nothing funny about his films or that the people involved should all retire. He is one of the very few people that get me to watch a comedy as I've never been a big fan of comedies. I also like Rogen a lot, I'm not sick of the guy at all.
Old 06-27-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Day of The Triffids
toy Story 1 & 2
Alvin & The Chipmunks
Alvin & The Chipmunks the Squeakuel
BSG The Plan
Daybreakers
Old 06-27-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I think I read about 6 or 7 posts recently stating how there is nothing funny about his films or that the people involved should all retire.
"Funny People" aside, I think that's a minority opinion.
Old 06-27-10, 10:36 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

since my TV was out of commission for most of the week, I finally got around to watching 'Invictus' which, while was a little on the long side by 10mins or so, was still an enjoyable movie.
Old 06-27-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enemy at the Gates (2001)
Old 06-27-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sherlock Holmes last night - good flick!
Old 06-27-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Role Models

I think I've watched it 3 times now, all of the viewings on Blu. Decent movie, funny the first time, and so far it's had good replay value. The Blu Ray itself sucks though. The transfer doesn't have any natural film grain, the colors seem muted and there's hardly any detail in the image. It still looks better then a DVD, but it's about as far from a demo disc as you can get.
Old 06-28-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vinyan (2008) (Region B)

Movie: 3.5/5
Video: 3.5/5
Audio: 4/5
Extras: 1.5/5
Old 06-28-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hot Fuzz - I've never seen this before but I ordered it from Amazon a few weeks ago for $10, so I figured I'd pop it in since I have a growing list of unwatched movies. Wow, what an awesome movie, I thought it was really entertaining and it had some pretty hilarious moments...I was honestly surprised because it was far better than my expectations had been. The PQ and AQ seemed to be pretty top notch too.
Old 06-28-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Not nearly as good as the first film but I still enjoy it a lot completely & only for Blanchet in this role. Excellent PQ too.
Old 06-29-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

300 (2007) - Enjoyed it immensely.
Old 06-29-10, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

New Moon
Old 06-29-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished some anime and Kung Fu titles this past week-

Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood Part 1
Gunslinger Girl 2:Il Teatrino
Delightful Forest
Brothers Five
Heroic Ones
Fist of Legend
Old 06-29-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sanctuary - Season 1, First Two episodes. This was a blind-buy. Not sure what to make of it yet. Basically its X-men but with a chick as Xavier meets X-files. Pretty weak cast so far, but I'll give it some more eps before I make up my mind.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.