Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wired article - Blu Ray still hasn't taken off

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Wired article - Blu Ray still hasn't taken off

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah lets kill the fucking messenger here! I mean this article is worded poorly, but so are 90% of stuff that comes from the "press" The guy was talking about Blu Ray, and the other article that is worded better or at least more fully makes that point relatively undebatable.

You can sit around and debate the message but sticking in your fingers in your ear screaming "na, na, na thats not what he said, na na na" is just ignorant. Those claiming that Mr. Griffiths didnt say that, well guess what - you weren't there. The author of this article was probably there (and if he wasn't the whole article is a fraud) and wrote the damn thing. So that makes him more credible in my book that people dissecting a poorly written article and then using that dissection to prove thats not what the guy said is ridicoulous.

As far as "nothing will be better than Blu Ray in the physical realm", I'm sorry history just proves you wrong. Everytime some company claimed that this was the best you could ever get, they had new better products on the shelves within a few years.

Last edited by chanster; 09-04-08 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Samsung and SONY have been the only two hardware manufacturers to openly point out that OLED will be the technology that would phase out LCD. They are also the two major hardware manufacturers to have heavily invested in the technology, and planning to have it on the market in a very near future (aside from SONY and their offer at the moment). Yes, I believe that the comments addressing the specific time frame pertain to OLED vs. LCD.

I already addressed the paragraph you bolded on another forum but I would not mind clarifying again: if the words were spoken by Mr. Griffiths they would have been quoted as are the rest of the statements in the article - in "...". They are not. Which points only to what I earlier noted, that this is the editor's interpretation of Mr.Griffith's words. As are the rest of the clarifications in the article. Furthermore, Stuart Miles did not conduct an exclusive interview with Mr. Griffiths as it appears that the provided quotes are from a much larger text addressing a multitude of topics. Hence, the reason why both of the article posted in this thread offer their own interpretation of what was announced. Suffice to say, neither of them quote portions of Mr. Griffiths words where the term Blu-ray is present. All of the additions are added by the editors.

If this isn't clear it certainly should be as neither of the articles provide exclusive as a disclaimer. They both rely on secondary transcripts.

Ciao,
Pro-B
My god man. You are just so unbelievable, rabidly, over-the-top in your defense of the format. "This says something not positive about BD. We must hang the bastard author's family." Cripes.

Had this same comment been written about VOD, you'd be celebrating in the streets. And if a retraction came, you'd ignore it, and continue to quote him for years and years.

I think we are all in agreement that BD won't fade after five years. I don;t think there is anyone here who has said they agree with him. It has sparked some thought provoking conversation, however, far better than "What BD are you getting on your Birthday."

However, whether YOU like it or not, an article that quotes an exec at one of the backbone companies in the format as saying that the format only has five years of life is news. You wishing that he is being misquoted does not negate its existence.

Could he have been misquoted? Yes. Absolutely. If so we'll likely see a retraction.

So go make a retraction happen. Stop spreading FUD about the author. If HE lied, then call HIM out and prove it. Otherwise you are just being ridiculous, and in fact you are doing exactly what you are accusing him of. Spare us the histrionics until there is some proof. Until then we can discuss this as if it is true, and discuss it more if potential corrections are made.
Old 09-04-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'd also love for someone here to tell me what physical media in 5 years is going to replace BD.

Sony, Panasonic, and other manufacturers have invested heavily into BD. It took 5-6 years of development before the format made it to store shelves. Does anyone here really think they're working on yet another format that will start launching in 2013-2014? And if so, what is it going to offer that BD doesn't? 1080p is going to be here for quite some time.
Perhaps it isn't a physical medium they are looking at. I know some think VOD is a dirty word and that anyone that utters it must be a pure-bred BD hater, but look at some of the things he says they are moving towards in the article. They want the TV to replace the PC as the info center of the family home. In such a scenario, news music, internet and TV will be available at the touch of a button. And you can go take your disc off the shelf and out of its case and load your movie disc into it too.

See how BD, or more to the point, physical media disrupts the "digital center" approach they are going for? Samsung is heavily into the computer component market. They manufacture hard disc drives, which are crucial for this type of thing. They have no stake in the media sold, just in what it is played on. It does not shock me that they may be hedging their bets and planning for a post physical media world.

Are they right? Who knows. A smart company positions themselves for the future. For the next big thing. Who knows what will happen.
Old 09-04-08, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
See how BD, or more to the point, physical media disrupts the "digital center" approach they are going for?
If that's what they wanted, why did the studios demand such hardcore software and hardware lockdown before they would license HD support to PCs? Streaming Blu-Ray servers over Gig-E should be relatively inexpensive and plentiful, like they are with regular DVDs, yet they are not.
Old 09-04-08, 04:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
My god man. You are just so unbelievable, rabidly, over-the-top in your defense of the format. "This says something not positive about BD. We must hang the bastard author's family." Cripes.

Had this same comment been written about VOD, you'd be celebrating in the streets. And if a retraction came, you'd ignore it, and continue to quote him for years and years.

I think we are all in agreement that BD won't fade after five years. I don;t think there is anyone here who has said they agree with him. It has sparked some thought provoking conversation, however, far better than "What BD are you getting on your Birthday."

However, whether YOU like it or not, an article that quotes an exec at one of the backbone companies in the format as saying that the format only has five years of life is news. You wishing that he is being misquoted does not negate its existence.

Could he have been misquoted? Yes. Absolutely. If so we'll likely see a retraction.

So go make a retraction happen. Stop spreading FUD about the author. If HE lied, then call HIM out and prove it. Otherwise you are just being ridiculous, and in fact you are doing exactly what you are accusing him of. Spare us the histrionics until there is some proof. Until then we can discuss this as if it is true, and discuss it more if potential corrections are made.
Did you really expect anything else? If its positive BD news its 100% true. If its Negative, it clearly is not true and the author is making things up. Just like what Warner said in Germany a few days ago...of course, that's not true either.
Old 09-04-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perhaps it isn't a physical medium they are looking at. I know some think VOD is a dirty word and that anyone that utters it must be a pure-bred BD hater.
No, that's not the case, and continually parroting such things really adds nothing to the discussion.

VOD isn't a dirty word, and it will have a solid place in the future. But, just because you think it will render all physical media obsolete doesn't mean that anyone who disagrees with that opinion is somehow irrational.

I see myself getting into VOD when it is affordable and widely available enough, but it isn't going to stop me from buying titles on Blu-ray. One is a rental medium, the other a collector medium.
Old 09-04-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This says something not positive about BD. We must hang the bastard author's family.
I don't completely agree with you. Can't we just shoot them instead?
Old 09-04-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Samsung and SONY have been the only two hardware manufacturers to openly point out that OLED will be the technology that would phase out LCD. They are also the two major hardware manufacturers to have heavily invested in the technology, and planning to have it on the market in a very near future (aside from SONY and their offer at the moment). Yes, I believe that the comments addressing the specific time frame pertain to OLED vs. LCD.

I already addressed the paragraph you bolded on another forum but I would not mind clarifying again: if the words were spoken by Mr. Griffiths they would have been quoted as are the rest of the statements in the article - in "...". They are not. Which points only to what I earlier noted, that this is the editor's interpretation of Mr.Griffith's words. As are the rest of the clarifications in the article. Furthermore, Stuart Miles did not conduct an exclusive interview with Mr. Griffiths as it appears that the provided quotes are from a much larger text addressing a multitude of topics. Hence, the reason why both of the article posted in this thread offer their own interpretation of what was announced. Suffice to say, neither of them quote portions of Mr. Griffiths words where the term Blu-ray is present. All of the additions are added by the editors.

If this isn't clear it certainly should be as neither of the articles provide exclusive as a disclaimer. They both rely on secondary transcripts.

Ciao,
Pro-B
This is not meant to be a comment about the accuracy of the article, but as someone who spent more than 5 years working in newspapers, both as a copyeditor and a reporter, you are completely wrong to be stressing the quotes quite so much. Just because there isn't quotes around something doesn't mean the guy didn't say it -- or at least mean it.

Quotes are only necessary when you repeat the exact same thing. But sometimes people are needlessly wordy or things aren't as clear on the page as they are in person or they make a grammatical error, so that's why writers sometimes paraphrase what was said, in which case there should be NO quotation marks. This is common practice and can be found at any newspaper, from The New York Times on down to local weekly newspapers. It's not something sinister; it's not something that automatically indicates a hidden agenda. It might just mean that this guy who said it doesn't know how to say things in a clear, concise manner, requiring the writer to give a little assistance.
Old 09-04-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but while i'm sure big mistakes like this occur quite frequently and gone "to print," the likelyhood that the author of the article on what looks to be a tech site would mix up something as big as what Blu-ray is versus LCD and OLED is a pretty big stretch. Just seems odd to jump to that conclusion.
Old 09-04-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by mrowley
Are you kidding?...where did you get 34 years from?
If that's correct, then I'm a heck of a lot older than I thought!
It's no less correct than the original article claiming Blu-Ray has been around for 6 years. It was a joke, and one I actually LOL'ed at.
Old 09-04-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd also love for someone here to tell me what physical media in 5 years is going to replace BD.
I suspect physical media will stick around for a long time. But, WOW having a large library of SD movies on a hard drive is cheaper than ever these days. $175ish for 1TB drive (going lower everyday). That's 150-160 SD movies (or more if you wanna trim some).

In fives years, not even being as optimistic as Kryder's law, I'm thinking that $250 will purchase 8TBs, thats plenty of space for 200+ blu-ray movies. This physical media stuff is going to be significantly less convenient than mass storage at some point... 5 years, who knows. 10... likely, I'm thinking.

-beebs
Old 09-04-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by beebs
I suspect physical media will stick around for a long time. But, WOW having a large library of SD movies on a hard drive is cheaper than ever these days. $175ish for 1TB drive (going lower everyday). That's 150-160 SD movies (or more if you wanna trim some).

In fives years, not even being as optimistic as Kryder's law, I'm thinking that $250 will purchase 8TBs, thats plenty of space for 200+ blu-ray movies. This physical media stuff is going to be significantly less convenient than mass storage at some point... 5 years, who knows. 10... likely, I'm thinking.

-beebs
I don't know. Hard drives storing the movies you own is not my idea of convenient (unless you mean as a backup of the physical media that you ALSO own). Paying any amount of money for a perpetual license for content, but then having something as fragile as a hard drive as the sole repository for that content, does not appeal to me in the least.

My ideal world is one where "bare bones" HD editions of movies exist on the server of my chosen "rental" agency such as Netflix, and by subscribing to a monthly membership service for a price similar to what Netflix currently charges for DVD rentals, I can download any movie to watch, but perhaps be limited to having X number of movies stored locally at any one time, or X movies downloaded per week/month, maybe with the ability to exceed my limit with a per-movie additional charge. Then for movies I want to own, nice editions are available for purchase on Blu-ray (and I only specify Blu-ray because it is what is here, now, and it does what I want/need it to do), complete with commentaries, deleted scenes, documentaries, and the like, just as they are today (only preferably cheaper ).

Last edited by RoboDad; 09-04-08 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
My ideal world is one where "bare bones" HD editions of movies exist on the server of my chosen "rental" agency such as Netflix
This is what I picture when I think of VOD in the future. Not necessarily the 'bare bones' aspect exactly -- I can see that going either way -- but I don't think it'll rely on persistent, local storage.
Old 09-04-08, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
It's no less correct than the original article claiming Blu-Ray has been around for 6 years. It was a joke, and one I actually LOL'ed at.
Thanks for the clarification.
The humor was obviously just a little too subtle for me
Old 09-04-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Personally I'm not interested in storing anything on hard drives - too much chance for failure. Now if something like flash memory was available in TB's for a similar price I might look into that, but I suspect that's a little farther off.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 09-05-08 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-04-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
This is what I picture when I think of VOD in the future. Not necessarily the 'bare bones' aspect exactly -- I can see that going either way.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I prefaced it that way to try to distinguish between what I see as the strengths of each delivery mechanism. People interested in viewing a documentary or listening to a commentary track may not want to waste one of their monthly rental allotment choices, whereas people who own the BD won't have to worry about such restrictions, and they have the opportunity to peruse special features at a much more leisurely pace.

Case in point, (even though it's DVD and not BD, the analogy still holds), my recent acquisition of the complete Get Smart series on DVD is one of the prizes of my collection. I've only scratched the surface of the special features, and it will take quite a while to go through them all, but since I have the whole set, I can take my time and enjoy each feature completely. No need to worry about freeing up space for something else in my account somewhere.

Last edited by RoboDad; 09-04-08 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did DVD "take off" in its first 2 years? I don't believe it did. Media pricing is in line with DVD's pricing during the first 2 years.
A year and a half after its debut, a spokesman for a large e-tailer (Reel.com?) described the demand for DVD as "insatiable." The universal complaint about DVD was that there weren't enough titles available, not the prices.

In comparison to DVD in its early days, Blu-ray is a big yawn. It doesn't offer the big boost in convenience over DVD that the latter did over VHS, the selection of titles is limited (largely to those catering to the PS3 demographic, males under 30), and its quality edge over its predecessor is not especially noticeable except with large screens and expensive sound systems.
Old 09-04-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So go make a retraction happen. Stop spreading FUD about the author. If HE lied, then call HIM out and prove it
I'll let the rest of your post unaddressed as it clearly has very little to do with what I was attempting to convey. Here's a clarification from the author of the article:

Reading through the comments, not sure where the confusion has come from about OLED replacing Blu-ray.

The interview with Andy was a wide reaching one covering a number of topics, OLED and Blu-ray as well as many others.

What I've tried to convey in the interview is that Samsung, a company that covers many areas, thinks OLED will replace LCD, Blu-ray has nothing to do with that element of the article.

Stuart Miles, United Kingdom
Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 09-05-08, 02:09 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Has nothing to do with that element of the article. But the beginning of the article clearly states that Samsung thinks that Blu-ray has a five-year lifespan. Any other reading of the article is either a gross misunderstanding or a willful distortion of what has been written.
Old 09-05-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
VOD sounds good on paper, but where is the bandwidth going to come from?

Comcast?
Old 09-05-08, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DivxGuy
A year and a half after its debut, a spokesman for a large e-tailer (Reel.com?) described the demand for DVD as "insatiable." The universal complaint about DVD was that there weren't enough titles available, not the prices.

In comparison to DVD in its early days, Blu-ray is a big yawn. It doesn't offer the big boost in convenience over DVD that the latter did over VHS, the selection of titles is limited (largely to those catering to the PS3 demographic, males under 30), and its quality edge over its predecessor is not especially noticeable except with large screens and expensive sound systems.
and where is reel.com now? selling product below cost for an extended period of time will probably boost interest but also damage your business, just ask toshiba. actual sales figures, not one off quotes from shrunken online sites, that's where the real gravy's at.
Old 09-05-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
VOD sounds good on paper, but where is the bandwidth going to come from?

Comcast?
10 years ago who would have thought the average home would have the speeds they do now?
Old 09-05-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
and where is reel.com now? selling product below cost for an extended period of time will probably boost interest but also damage your business, just ask toshiba. actual sales figures, not one off quotes from shrunken online sites, that's where the real gravy's at.
Ok, look at DVD player sales in 1999:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...advdsales.html

DVD Player sales jumped from a bit over 1 MM to 4 MM between 1998 and 1999

And this didn't include a video game player that could double as a DVD player. The PS2 didn't launch until Oct. 2000..so this jump between 97 and 99 was purely standalones.
Old 09-05-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll let the rest of your post unaddressed as it clearly has very little to do with what I was attempting to convey. Here's a clarification from the author of the article:

Ciao,
Pro-B
The guy didn't deny what he said about Blu Ray and the 5 year thing...and thats what got you so worked up - wasn't it????
Old 09-05-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Only if you're breaking the encryption. A digital copy of a DVD doesn't break the encryption.
If you're playing a copy of a DVD, somewhere along the way you're breaking the encryption.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.