Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Death Proof BLU-RAYS 12/16/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Death Proof BLU-RAYS 12/16/08

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 08:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
I second that.
Old 12-04-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I might get Death Proof. I may be in the minority but I enjoyed Death Proof far more than Planet Terror.
Same here
Old 12-04-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I might get Death Proof. I may be in the minority but I enjoyed Death Proof far more than Planet Terror.
Fourthed?

Admittedly, I'll wait until the price drops to about half, as these Weinstein releases are known to do fairly quickly.
Old 12-04-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
There is no BR "Grindhouse" film. Its either Planet Terror and/or Death Proof. Both Unrated and Extended. As it stands, there would be no way to get both PT/DP on the same disc (Grindhouse style) because both would be far more then 50GB of space.

I don't think there is even a DVD set of the both together in Region 1.
I know. I meant IF they ever released one.
Old 12-04-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm getting both...when they go so sale.
Old 12-04-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no BR "Grindhouse" film. Its either Planet Terror and/or Death Proof. Both Unrated and Extended. As it stands, there would be no way to get both PT/DP on the same disc (Grindhouse style) because both would be far more then 50GB of space.

I don't think there is even a DVD set of the both together in Region 1.

There is, however, a HD DVD version of Death Proof out there...so gonna be mine!
Gizmo -- I'll bet they could squeeze the theatrical version onto a single BD50. Runtime was only 3 hours, wasn't it? There are dual layered HD DVDs that hold 3+ hours of HD content just fine ("Grand Prix", "King Kong", "Superman Returns" -- counting the bonus features, etc.) -- a BD50 should be able to hold the full theatrical "Grindhouse" quite nicely.

You're correct about the DVD set -- the only one I've heard of is the Japanese version which I know a few people around here own.
Old 12-04-08, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by applesandrice
Gizmo -- I'll bet they could squeeze the theatrical version onto a single BD50. Runtime was only 3 hours, wasn't it? There are dual layered HD DVDs that hold 3+ hours of HD content just fine ("Grand Prix", "King Kong", "Superman Returns" -- counting the bonus features, etc.) -- a BD50 should be able to hold the full theatrical "Grindhouse" quite nicely.

You're correct about the DVD set -- the only one I've heard of is the Japanese version which I know a few people around here own.
It very well could be possible (KK is a great example), but I can't imagine Weinstein wanting to do this so soon after releasing both individually. Hell, I would think Kill Bill TWBA would come before this because at least the previous release was Disney and not their own Studio (as not to hurt sales of the individual PT/DP).

If that BD import comes true I'll probably import it. Weinstein seems to be playing a bit of catch up with their HD DVD/Limbo titles right now as well as focusing on their new releases. I have a feeling we'll see Pulse and Black Christmas before the Grindhouse "set" in America.
Old 12-04-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by applesandrice

I know it's not completely the same but it does give some numbers to look at. The 2 movies with trailers on Starz on the HD version is around 15GB. The regular version is around 5GB.
Old 12-05-08, 08:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The "scratch free" version looks very clean (obviously), but a bit too much DNR/EE appears to be applied to it. I'm going to take a closer look at it later this weekend. Great flick though.

how can you DNR a film that shot in actual HiDef (Planet Terror). Very curious to see the scratch free version which the review states isn't 100% scratch free.

I thought the Starz hidef presentation of the extended 'Death Proof' looked fantastic, and THAT was filmed on 35mm film stock.
Old 12-05-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
how can you DNR a film that shot in actual HiDef (Planet Terror).
Digital video can still have noise. Miami Vice is supposed to be an example of an extreme amount of it.
Old 12-05-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
The scratch free version looks pretty slick. DVD Beaver has caps in the review on the main page. Check it out.

Death Proof is also reviewed and although there is a low score for the film image wise, I think it looks like it should.
Old 12-05-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,890 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
Very curious to see the scratch free version which the review states isn't 100% scratch free.
I skimmed through it last night, and most of the movie is scratch-free, but the stuff that kind of has to be worn -- like the "film" bubbling and burning during the sex scene -- still is.

FWIW, there was still some level of 'noise', and it doesn't look DNRed to me.
Old 12-05-08, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Adam,

Are you watching it on a PS3? Several others who got both films early can't seem to get them to load (prompts for an update when none is available and then bumps them backto the PS3 menu screen).
Old 12-05-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I haven't watched it on a 'real' TV yet -- I was just zipping through it on the BD drive on my computer.
Old 12-09-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Are you watching it on a PS3? Several others who got both films early can't seem to get them to load (prompts for an update when none is available and then bumps them backto the PS3 menu screen).
Dumb question, but will that be fixed by the time the release date hits?

Also has there been any update on people who got early copies actually being able to play their discs?
Old 12-09-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Dumb question, but will that be fixed by the time the release date hits?
I'd bet it will be. I think it's a BD Live issue.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Also has there been any update on people who got early copies actually being able to play their discs?
I was able to fiddle with the remote and get both movies to play when writing my reviews:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35648/death-proof/
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35655/planet-terror/
Old 12-09-08, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I have all three (Grindhouse, PT and DP) capped in HD
Any chance you might have a file to share?
Old 12-09-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Thanks for the links to your reviews. I'm surprised I didn't see them on the site way earlier

Odd thing. I picked up both Planet Terror and Death Proof tonight on Blu-Ray. Thing is they loaded up without any problems. Planet Terror had the "Loading.." logo for a minute or so and loaded up. Death Proof had the Stuntman Mike Logo for a minute or so and loaded up as well.

Not sure what it was. It probably doesn't make a difference but my PS3 is one of the original 60GB's.

I originally said I wouldn't upgrade my SD discs, but I couldn't resist
Old 12-11-08, 05:09 PM

I saw them at Blockbuster to rent. Do they usually have blu-ray titles early to rent?
Old 12-11-08, 05:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SIUmark
I saw them at Blockbuster to rent. Do they usually have blu-ray titles early to rent?
Since they are catalog titles they probably didn't know the true release date.
Old 12-12-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SIUmark
They do have an exclusive rental agreement with Weinstein Co. so that agreement may also allow them to put them out before release date.
Old 12-12-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts
nope it doesn't.
if that store has them out it's because they are lazy and didn't check the street date for them.
or another store has them out for rent.
I don't think the rental agreement applies to blu.
i'll ask tomorrow but i doubt my manager will know.